PDA

View Full Version : The Elemental Mage (3.5 PrC, P.E.A.C.H.)

onthetown
2009-10-05, 09:49 AM
(I would love a different name for this prestige class - any suggestions are welcome.)

Yes, the concept of an elemental mage has been done to death; however, I'm building a world that I've been building and playing in with my friends for years, and the presence of elemental magic has become something that we just can't ditch; but it's taken on a bit of a different form than the usual 'create fire tornadoes to destroy your enemies' mage. This prestige class is more about spell focus and spell mastery bonuses than burning things to death.

The Elemental Mage

The Elemental Mage has spent years studying and attuning herself to the laws of nature, and has found particular interest in one of the elements. Through this element she can channel new spells, enhance her existing spells, and overcome spells that may be aimed at her.
Elemental Mages are always spellcasters, but can come from all walks of life. Clerics often choose to become Spirit Mages and Bards or Illusionist Wizards often find comfort as Shadow Mages. Druids favor any of the four basic elements (Fire, Air, Earth, and Water). Any caster, divine or arcane, can become an Elemental Mage.

HD: d4

Requirements
Alignment: Any neutral
Skills: Knowledge (The Planes) 5 ranks, Spellcraft 5 ranks
Feats: Eschew Materials
Spells: Must be able to cast 3rd level spells, arcane or divine.
Special: Must be able to cast at least 1 spell from the school of the Elemental Path you wish to take (see below).

Elemental Mage
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Elemental Path|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Elemental Focus|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Elemental Nature|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Elemental Scourge|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Maximize Path|+1 level of existing spellcasting class[/table]

Class Skills: Concentration (Con), Knowledge (The Planes) (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Use Magic Device (Int)
Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int mod

Class Features

Elemental Path: At 1st level, the Elemental Mage chooses which element she will focus on - this cannot be changed after it has been chosen. Whichever path she chooses defines which school (type of spell) of elemental magic she will specialize in. She also gains bonus spells from the element's domain as if she were a cleric.
The elemental magic schools and domains are:
Fire: Fire spells, Fire domain
Air: Electricity spells, Air domain
Earth: Force spells, Earth domain
Water: Cold spells, Water domain
Shadow: Mind-affecting spells, Trickery domain
Spirit: Light spells, Healing domain

Elemental Focus: At 2nd level, the Elemental Mage gains a +1 caster level when casting within her school of elemental magic.

(The Elemental Nature abilities are being created; this is just a general idea of what they might do when I'm done.) Elemental Nature: At 3rd level, Elemental Mage has become so attuned to her path that she can harness the power of her element. She gains the following spell, depending on her path, as a 3/day spell-like ability:
Fire: Burning Hands
Air: Shocking Grasp
Earth: Explosive Runes
Water: Sleet Storm
Shadow: Lesser Geas/Quest
Spirit: Searing Light

Elemental Scourge: At 4th level, Elemental Mage gains a +2 bonus against spells that are opposite her element, which applies to saving throws against those spells. The opposing elements are:
Fire (fire) / Water (cold)
Air (electricity) / Earth (force)
Shadow (mind-affecting) / Spirit (light)

Maximize Path: At 5th level, the Elemental Mage has become so adept at channeling power through her element that she is able to maximize all spells used within her school of elemental magic, as per the Maximize Spell feat, with the following exception: the Maximize Path ability is automatically applied to all spells within her school of elemental magic with no extra effort on the part of the caster, and no spell slot cost.

Would love feedback, criticism, etc on this, since I need to polish it up for play; it's definitely not all good and dandy, and I'm still new to this homebrewing thing :smallbiggrin:

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-10-05, 10:59 AM
This is a solid, cool concept, and something I've often thought of doing (but never got round to).

A few issues that I can see: The Elemental Path of Earth has Force spells as its focus. I don't see why force is connected with Earth. The Elemental Nature spell-like abilities are not very equal in power - Explosive Runes is a 3rd level spell and deals 6d6, where Shocking Grasp is a 1st level spell that deals 5d6 maximum. Why not make up new 3/day powers that deal equal damage from their respective sources, with some extra effects appropriate to the source? The bonus from Elemental Scourge is a bonus to what? Maxmimize Path effectively grants a limited version of the Maximize Spell feat - not very impressive. Maybe it should reduce the heightened spell level cost, or allow spontaneous Maximizing, or something similar to make it worthwhile.

onthetown
2009-10-05, 12:15 PM
This is a solid, cool concept, and something I've often thought of doing (but never got round to).

A few issues that I can see: The Elemental Path of Earth has Force spells as its focus. I don't see why force is connected with Earth.

I sort of just associated Force with Earth, and I don't have a clue what other type of spell I could use... Is there anything closer?

The Elemental Nature spell-like abilities are not very equal in power - Explosive Runes is a 3rd level spell and deals 6d6, where Shocking Grasp is a 1st level spell that deals 5d6 maximum. Why not make up new 3/day powers that deal equal damage from their respective sources, with some extra effects appropriate to the source?

I'll work on some abilities tonight that are hopefully a bit more balanced :smallsmile:

The bonus from Elemental Scourge is a bonus to what?

The kind of bonus that you get from the feat Spell Focus, I think to overcome spell resistance or to use on saves...

Maxmimize Path effectively grants a limited version of the Maximize Spell feat - not very impressive. Maybe it should reduce the heightened spell level cost, or allow spontaneous Maximizing, or something similar to make it worthwhile.

I think I'll change it to reducing the cost and allowing spontaneous, unless that's a little too overpowered...