PDA

View Full Version : Gaming age?

Fostire
2009-10-05, 12:14 PM
So, from Killer Angel's birthday thread I noticed that some people have been playing roleplaying games for a long time, so I wondered: how long has the average playgrounder been playing for?

I myself started D&D when I was 9. I was introduced to it by my oldest brother and have been playing the game for 11 years (so I have officially been playing dnd for most of my life :smallbiggrin:).

I started with 2e AD&D, and switched over to 3.5e about two years ago.

How about you?, what age did you start playing, and for how long have you been playing?*

*This may or may not also be a ploy to find out people's age

Fun statistics so far (not really accurate):
Lowest starting age: 5 years old
Highest starting age: 32 years old
Average starting age: 13.24 years
Highest play time: 30+ (Pyrian)
Average play time: 8.6 years

Ichneumon
2009-10-05, 12:17 PM
I started when I was 13-14. I'm 19 now.

Lost Demiurge
2009-10-05, 12:24 PM
I started reading the books when I was 12 or 13 or so. I actually played when I was 16...

I'm still playing and running now, at 32. It's been a fun trip! Hopefully it'll keep on going a good long while...

Yora
2009-10-05, 12:35 PM
I have to guess. No wait, I started right before 3.0 was released, so I was about 16. And that makes me 25 now.

But I did learn English with Drizzt some years before that. :smallbiggrin:

RationalGoblin
2009-10-05, 12:40 PM
Ha! I've been a part of D&D for as long as I can remember! One of my earliest memories (I think I was 5) was of reading my dad's 1st edition Monster Manual.

Course, I still haven't been playing as long as a few others here, seeing as I'm only 16 or so.

Trog
2009-10-05, 12:42 PM
I have been playing DnD for about 24 years now and have been a home-brew-style DM for easily 18 of those years.

Began at age 14. For a while before I played DnD I played MERP (Middle Earth Role Playing) but after less than a year I switched over to Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. Since then I have also played 2nd edition, 2nd Edition Players' Options, 3rd Edition, 3.5, and now 4th edition (who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks :smalltongue: ). I've been playing it consistently (at least once every two months at the most infrequent, but averaging 1.5 times/month) with the same guys ever since I first started. :smallcool:

Telonius
2009-10-05, 12:43 PM
I started gaming online, waaaayyy way back in the early days when AOL was more than an expensive joke. I think I was about 15 or 16 at the time. Totally homebrewed rules, practically freeform with minimal dice involved. Didn't get into D&D until I was 19 and in college.

BritishBill
2009-10-05, 12:44 PM
Ive only been playing for about a year and a half. Its been a good year though. :smallsmile:

arguskos
2009-10-05, 12:48 PM
I started D&D as a player at the age of 9. I began DMing at the age of 10. It's been 12 years since I began over all. :smallwink: I'll never look back.

On a related note, I started playing Magic in 1995, so at the age of... 7. :smallbiggrin:

I'm an oldie for my age. :smallcool:

Kobold-Bard
2009-10-05, 12:48 PM
I'm 21 and I started at 18 when I met the President of the uni Roleplay Society. Although I had been interested in the D&D stuff before then without realising it (had unwittingly read a rules variant with no idea what they were a variant for).

B-Man
2009-10-05, 12:58 PM
I've been video gaming since the tender age of 3. My fondest memory of that age was when I beat my 9-year old cousin, in terms of distance, in Super Mario Bros. 2 (The North American one, not "Lost Levels"). Remember getting to 4-2 and hopelessly dying all the time.

I've been roleplaying since I was in high school, so 13-14? Been off-and-on playing DnD since I was 15.

I am currently 20 years of age and 5 months away from my annual renewal in the age department.

Fostire
2009-10-05, 01:02 PM
I started D&D as a player at the age of 9. I began DMing at the age of 10. It's been 12 years since I began over all. :smallwink: I'll never look back.
I started DMing at age 10 as well :smallbiggrin: My brother stopped playing by that time and I inherited* his books. I've since DMed most of my games until a couple of years ago when one of my friends (coplantor) turned out to be a way better dm than me (the only reason I was dming in the first place was because I was the most familiar with the rules).

*stole them and he never claimed them back :smalltongue:

On a related note, I started playing Magic in 1995, so at the age of... 7. :smallbiggrin:

I'm an oldie for my age. :smallcool:
I own several Magic cards that my brother gave me when he got bored with them (same brother I got my books from) but since I only ever knew one guy who played the game, I never got into it much.

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 01:12 PM
I was 10 when I started playing D&D. At my uncle's house - my first dungeon ever was one he DM'd for myself, my brother, and my cousin, who were both 9. :smallbiggrin: I then went home and spent the next two months constantly DMing for my brother, his 8-year-old best friend, and, because my mum wouldn't let us exclude him, my other brother who was 5. :smallamused:

Wow...I can't believe all those dungeons and characters we created were done over the course of just two months. I keep thinking it had to have been a YEAR and two months, but it couldn't have been, because my family moved away that September.

Weird.

In retrospect, though, we were really lucky - for those two months, we played at least twice a week, often three or four times. It got to the point where the three of us were sitting around one day and my brother said, "What did we even DO before we learned how to play this game?" And none of us could remember.

arguskos
2009-10-05, 01:13 PM
I started DMing at age 10 as well :smallbiggrin: My brother stopped playing by that time and I inherited* his books. I've since DMed most of my games until a couple of years ago when one of my friends (coplantor) turned out to be a way better dm than me (the only reason I was dming in the first place was because I was the most familiar with the rules).
I can't be a player anymore. It's just too hard to not have omniscient power over the world. Yes, poor me. :smalltongue:

The Orange Zergling
2009-10-05, 01:15 PM
I'm currently 15, I've been playing the game for real on-and-off for about 3 years now, I think I bought my first book when I was 11 (but I didn't start playing for another year or so). First person in my family to take it up.

AmberVael
2009-10-05, 01:19 PM
I got into Dungeons and Dragons when I just got into middle school, so about age 11.
We had no idea what we were doing. It was fun though... for the most part...
The DM wasn't so good. He kept trying things of epic scale while we had low level characters- and... epic scale means epic adversaries, which meant that we often faced advanced pit fiends at level three.

We did a lot of running. And dying. Mostly dying.

Jack Squat
2009-10-05, 01:27 PM
Videogames since I was 3 or so (~17 years). I remember playing the Super Mario/Duck Hunt combo cartridge on NES (there was a golf game too, but I never played it).

D&D/tabletop has been off and on for about 8 years now.

The Extinguisher
2009-10-05, 01:27 PM
15ish?

About three-four years ago.

Pyrian
2009-10-05, 02:01 PM
I've been playing for over three decades. :smalleek: I was five or six when I started, and didn't really understand what was going on.

Zar Peter
2009-10-05, 02:05 PM
I'm playing for about 4 years now. Started with 32. But now I'm teaching my son and my nephews (and sometimes my daughter).

Starscream
2009-10-05, 02:05 PM
I started when I was 10 (24 now).

I had some birthday money to spend and saw a neat box with this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Q1F7oFsfGtU/SZwdwDW3m0I/AAAAAAAAABI/scvF-Iv6cNg/S220/DungeonsandDragons-GrowSmallll.jpg
picture on it at the toy store. Anyone remember Zanzer's Dungeon?

I had no idea what Dungeons and Dragons was except that there had once been a pretty okay cartoon by that name (and the box revealed no connection). So I bought it expecting some sort of board game. Needless to say it was much cooler.

After a few years we moved to a major redneck town and nobody around played D&D, so I had to quit. But I went to college in a big city, so I was able to start again. By that time edition 3.5 was around.

Innis Cabal
2009-10-05, 02:07 PM
I think its a little strange to say "I've been playing since X but I had no idea what was going on/what I was doing"...your not -really- playing. Participating, but your not activaly doing anything that would be termed "playing". Its like those kids you see at football games kicking the ball around while the actual team scores goals and actually you know...plays. Sure you roll the dice, you say something...but you don't know how it relates to anything, your just doing the motions you see everyone else do without understanding.

That being said, my first game was at the age of 8, half elf rogue and Advanced D&D...to this day I still hate THAC0....

Thajocoth
2009-10-05, 02:09 PM
I've been playing for just over a year.

With dice, at least. For video games, it's been nearly 27 years.

Totally Guy
2009-10-05, 02:11 PM
I started when I was 23.

Haruki-kun
2009-10-05, 02:16 PM
I first played DnD summer, 2006 2007. I last played it roughly 4 days later.

Having no one to play with sorta ruins it. :smallsigh:

Kallisti
2009-10-05, 02:18 PM
I started gaming when I was eight, and got serious about it when I was eleven. I'm almost sixteen now, so that's over half my life, now that I tihnk about it...

AmberVael
2009-10-05, 02:19 PM
I think its a little strange to say "I've been playing since X but I had no idea what was going on/what I was doing"...your not -really- playing. Participating, but your not activaly doing anything that would be termed "playing".

Can't speak for the others, but when I say "no idea" I mean more like the example I gave. We had working mechanics and some roleplay, but...
Pit Fiends. Third level characters.

I played a barbarian who never used Rage.
I also thought it would be a great idea to multiclass to Sorcerer for a level. Just one.

Just... stuff like that.

Pyrian
2009-10-05, 02:27 PM
I think its a little strange to say "I've been playing since X but I had no idea what was going on/what I was doing"...your not -really- playing. Participating, but your not activaly doing anything that would be termed "playing".Nonsense. That would be true for other game systems, but not so much for P&P RPG's in general. You're playing a role. Understanding the mechanics is largely secondary. You tell the Game Master what your character tries to do, and let him figure out (or just make up) whether or not it works.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-10-05, 02:29 PM
Well, how long have I been interested? Let's see, around 6 years ago? However, I never really could get a good group together for more than 2 sessions...

Innis Cabal
2009-10-05, 02:33 PM
Then under that guide line playing House could be considered this, there's always one kid whose "in charge" and the rest have to abide what they say. I think its a little hazy at best to define that. Even in old editions of D&D, the system was important, secondary or not. If we want to use that guide line at least a good majority could say "3 or 4, we played Resuce the Princess" or what ever games one plays at kindergarden. I can see where your comming from but...I just can't agree with that. If you want to just narrow it down to "A role" your playing...that opens up an even bigger can of worms.

valadil
2009-10-05, 02:53 PM
Started in middle school. I was probably 12 at the time. 26 now, and no signs of stopping.

gdiddy
2009-10-05, 02:57 PM
About two years, longer if you count Baldur's Gate.

I'm 22, now.

Neo Black
2009-10-05, 04:01 PM
I have memories of being 5 or so when my brother was playing Vampire at the time. Anyway at a gaming session someone was late so they gave me the easiest character in the party. Being 5 at the time I attacked a companion and crushed his skull with a 20... This resulted in my brother getting angry at me for the rest of the day :smalltongue:

Neo

Delwugor
2009-10-05, 04:11 PM
I'm almost sixteen now, so that's over half my life, now that I tihnk about it...

Pfhhht. I've been playing 28 years, almost twice as long as your life. :smalltongue::smallfrown::smallbiggrin:

wxdruid
2009-10-05, 04:22 PM
I started playing when I was 15 or so. My first boyfriend was the DM and two friends (brothers) played with us. I still have the characters sheets and the D&D Cyclopedia. For some reason I thought I had the AD&D book, but, it doesn't seem to be, heh. On the back it says it has all the rules from the D&D boxed set series, including Basic, Expert, Companion and Masters. Seems I have the D&D (5th version), quite interesting. Must have bought it in my early college years.

Played on and off in college, also played Toons and Torg.

I didn't play for the 7 years or so I was married. He barely tolerated my book collection, certainly would have given me dirt if I'd played D&D with a bunch of guys. :smallmad: Got divorced in 2004...

Went off to the desert (Qatar) in 2005 and started playing 3x ed. This was my sudden introduction to 3.0/3.5. Had my friend send me the books/dice and we played nearly every night. I also joined a morning group and after a 12 hr mid we'd play til noon every third day. I loved it.

Came back, found/joined a group in KS and continued to play, joined GitP.

Now I live in IL, found a group and catlover has started playing as well. She started when she was 10. I've also started DMing PbP so that my games will last longer, :smallamused:

Pyrian
2009-10-05, 05:22 PM
Then under that guide line playing House could be considered this, there's always one kid whose "in charge" and the rest have to abide what they say.I'm no expert on the playing of house, but in my limited experience there was no game master. However, I do think the boundary between playing no-rules make-believe and playing a P&P RPG like D&D is, at best, extremely hazy. It's certainly not enough of a distinction to call the former "not playing," as you seem to be implicitly saying.

If you want to just narrow it down to "A role" your playing...that opens up an even bigger can of worms.Role playing games can inherently be reduced to playing a role, or else it's not really an RPG at all. That "bigger can of worms" is the simple fact that the ruleset is inherently extraneous and therefore far less important than people want to think. If I have an idea for a D&D adventure, I can build it in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th edition, or in Heroes system, GURPS fantasy, whatever. It doesn't really matter.

Gulaghar
2009-10-05, 05:35 PM
I envy you all I want to start playing D&D but no one in my town plays so I can't at least for another year when I go to university.

Raewyn
2009-10-05, 05:38 PM
I got my first taste of D&D doing solo-ish adventures with my friend in 8th grade. He lorded over the game a bit, and worse my mom was present for some of these occasions, which left a bad taste in her mouth. I didn't get to play a bona fide game until high school, but that's kind of a long story...

I'm 21 now. I remember my mom telling me at 18 that "I would grow out of this silly 'DMV' habit soon." I'm glad I didn't. Otherwise, I'd never have met any of you guys. :smallcool:

darkblust
2009-10-05, 06:06 PM
You should join a pbp,sr4me.It's better then nothing.

I started playing at 10.Did'nt dm though,cause we only played like once a month and we had 5 or so different campaigns.

Inhuman Bot
2009-10-05, 06:20 PM
I started at age 10, as my older brother had started playing D&D.

My first experience with D&D was playing Neverwinter Nights, though.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-05, 06:33 PM
I think I started at around the age of 14 or 15. I'd started playing in 3.0, and by the time I bought my own copy of the PHB, it was 3.5. I'm 21 now, and probably one of the few people on these forums who actually likes 4th Edition. :smallannoyed:

Thajocoth
2009-10-05, 06:47 PM
...probably one of the few people on these forums who actually likes 4th Edition. :smallannoyed:

Nah, there are plenty of people who do and plenty who don't. It just seems like so many don't because of how many edition-war threads come up. I also prefer D&D 4th ed, but I try to stay away from edition wars as much as possible. (It's so easy to troll me though, so I usually avoid reading them at all.)

Recaiden
2009-10-05, 07:04 PM
I think since I was 10, being 17 now.

Lioness
2009-10-05, 07:39 PM
My boyfriend got me into it at the start of the year, I think. Or was it the start of last year?

Anyway...either since I was 14 or 15. I can't remember.

The Blackbird
2009-10-05, 07:41 PM
I started when I was 13, and I've been playing for almost exactly three years now. The entire time being a DM because my friends and I didn't have anything to start us off. Other than my Dad who hadn't played in years.

Assassin89
2009-10-05, 07:48 PM
I started video gaming when I was six, when the Nintendo 64 came out. I also have played the Sega systems several times, but the system was owned by someone else.

I first played Magic in high school, but that was while using someone else's deck.

Tabletop gaming starting last year, at age 18, starting with one game of first edition, then followed by a 3.5 campaign that is still going on.

Renegade Paladin
2009-10-05, 07:59 PM
I was 17 when I was invited to my first game of D&D. I'm 24 now, and have been playing ever since.

Siosilvar
2009-10-05, 08:25 PM
Hmm... Started with Baldur's Gate around 7 years ago, Dad showed me his AD&D books (specifically the Fireball spell) around 5 years ago, and I've been DMing for various friends pretty much ever since.

Fostire
2009-10-05, 08:49 PM
Fun statistics so far (not really accurate):

Lowest starting age: 5 years old
Highest starting age: 32 years old
Average starting age: 13.24 years
Highest play time: 30+ (Pyrian)
Average play time: 8.6 years

Thajocoth
2009-10-05, 08:58 PM
For actual ages for me:
Video games: 0 - 26
D&D: 25 - 26

Da Beast
2009-10-05, 09:23 PM
I started playing in 8th grade and played at least once a week in 9th and 10th grade. After that my gaming group broke up and I've only played in the occasional play by post since then. I'm 21 now and still looking for a new group. I've been playing video games for as long as I can remember and still fit in some smash brothers at least once a week.

Trai
2009-10-05, 09:26 PM
I don't play D&D, but I basically do what you guys here would call play-by-post, except it's really just storytelling rather than adventuring. It's glorified writing with other people, basically! I started when I was 10, and now I'm 18 (19 in January).

Froogleyboy
2009-10-05, 09:27 PM
I started playing when I was 11 (15 now)

Fostire
2009-10-05, 09:28 PM
I don't play D&D, but I basically do what you guys here would call play-by-post, except it's really just storytelling rather than adventuring. It's glorified writing with other people, basically!
How does that work? is it like freeform roleplaying (ie dnd without dice rolling)?

Remmirath
2009-10-05, 09:57 PM
I started playing AD&D with my parents when I was five or six, and I'm twenty now. I don't clearly remember which it was. I'm guessing five, since I still had so much trouble writing my mom wrote my character sheet for me.
I only started playing version 3/3.5 when I was thirteen. I believe I started playing MERP when I was around ten, and Vampire: The Masquerade when I was fifteen (Star Wars and D20 Modern at that time, too).
Ever since I started roleplaying, I think I've played at least three days a week. That's the advantage to mostly playing with your family, I guess.

I started playing computer games (Commander Keen, being the first one) when I was two.

EndlessWrath
2009-10-06, 01:20 AM
I started a few years ago. I bought what i thought was a cool board game and it was actually a starter set XD. So I continued and my first real game was on my birthday. My brother of 21 DMed a small adventure. I was 16. Now at 19 i am still playing as best i can. I've had 6 games running at one time (no i wasn't dming all of them) but most have died down to 2 currently active games, and 2 idle/closed ones.

I'm actually running my Gundam Wing game tomorrow, and the game after that (3.5) is sometime next week.

-Wrath

Killer Angel
2009-10-06, 01:37 AM
So, from Killer Angel's birthday thread I noticed that some people have been playing roleplaying games for a long time, so I wondered: how long has the average playgrounder been playing for?

Wow, I inspired a Thread :smallbiggrin::smallcool:
Well, you just know, but i started lately, at the age of 18 (thanx to university), and now are 22 years of playing time.
Started with AD&D, than 3.0 and 3.5. (4.0 is not too much for my taste).
In the middle: GURPS, call of Chthulu, Rifts, Shadowrun, Toons, A LOT of boardgames, etc.

I begin with magic with the unlimited edition (you know, black lotus and all that fancy cards...) :smallbiggrin:
Sadly, i lose interests with the everlasting growing number of expansions.
(my favourite color was the green, followed by white. Then blue, and red/black)

gdiddy
2009-10-06, 01:50 AM
How does that work? is it like freeform roleplaying (ie dnd without dice rolling)?

YOU OPENED THE BOX!

http://story-games.com

Last_resort_33
2009-10-06, 04:08 AM
Started at age 12 with the original D&D basic set (where you can only go up to like level 3), am now 23 with a D20 tattooed on my chest, playing at least weekly.

Lord Herman
2009-10-06, 04:18 AM
I started playing when I was 17, just after D&D 3.5 came out. I'm 23 now, so by my calculations I must have gamed for about 6 years now. In that time, I've played D&D 3.5, Iron Heroes, Star Trek CODA, D&D 4E, and now my very own GURPS Warhammer 40k homebrew.

Bago!!!
2009-10-06, 04:24 AM
Started in highschool.

I was a big fan of the RPG Baldurs Gate games but never got to really play em. I didn't even know the mechanics.

Anyway, I started to play my sophmore year I believe. First real character was my Dwarf Fighter. He had the most hp, always lost em after every session, was practically unkillable (He did some crazy stunts and was only brought down to -9, and was still in the fray). Gotta love Die Hard!:smallwink:

Ahh... Good times.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-06, 04:59 AM
I was a late bloomer in the field. I was in the army when I found my first gaming group. This would have been in 1991, in the fall, because I was stationed at Fort Devens, MA for a school there. I guess that puts me at 18 years of dice rolling.

I started my daughter when she was 12 (summer of 2000). She's actually my GM now. :smallcool:

Eldan
2009-10-06, 05:31 AM
Let's see... I started around the middle of the voluntary school between normal school and university. Which would be about 5-6 years ago now. (Damn. I feel old.) So I was about... 16-17 years old, I'd say. Which strikes me as a little too old, in fact, but the numbers seem correct.
Though I must add that I haven't had a game for two years now, at least.

Serpentine
2009-10-06, 06:14 AM
In high school, friends of mine were playing but never told me :smallannoyed:
I played Baldur's Gate from about 12 or 13, but didn't know it was based on a "real life" game. I read a Ravenloft book around 15 or 16, but didn't realise, again, that it was based on a game. Finally, I played my first game in my first year at uni, at 17 or 18. I think 18. I'm now 23.

Trai
2009-10-06, 06:21 AM

I'm not exactly sure of the terminology, but yes. It's not even really fantasy; in what I'm doing now, it's more of a high school setting that evolved into following the characters into their adult lives. I've been RPing with someone I met online for three years and we basically just come up with plotlines and run them together.

I also used to be part of an X-Men RPG that was play-by-post, where there was no dice or anything, but the admin of the site functioned as a game master and basically controlled the action during fight scenes and the plot.

Eloel
2009-10-06, 06:24 AM
Started at around age9. Now at 17. Not the youngest starter, but close :p

Yora
2009-10-06, 06:25 AM
I had some birthday money to spend and saw a neat box with this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Q1F7oFsfGtU/SZwdwDW3m0I/AAAAAAAAABI/scvF-Iv6cNg/S220/DungeonsandDragons-GrowSmallll.jpg
picture on it at the toy store.
Wow, never thought of it like that, but someone knew very well how to draw attention to your product in a store! :smallbiggrin:
That's like "Holy ****! I think I want to try THAT out!" ^^

In high school, friends of mine were playing but never told me :smallannoyed:
I played Baldur's Gate from about 12 or 13, but didn't know it was based on a "real life" game.
I totaly forgott about Baldur's Gate! I first saw it on a saturday I was so incredibly bored that I flipped through old gaming mags to see if there's any good game I havn't played yet that might at least get me through the day. BG had a very good rating and the reviewers praised it highly in their closing comments. So I got on my bike and the rest is 10 years incredibly entertaining history. :smallbiggrin:

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-10-06, 07:44 AM
Um... Forever? I got into D&D when I was about 4-15, and now I'm 44. Of course I did a LOT of other things between then and now, including skipping all of Second Edition. (No beef against 2nd Ed, just too busy with work and life.) Started looking for something like D&D when 3rd Edition came out, and jumped back with both feet.

Never regretted it. :smallsmile:

Cyrion
2009-10-06, 09:14 AM
I started at about age 10 after playing Bifur in a stage production of the Hobbit. We gave Oin and Gloin a ride home one day and Gloin was complaining about the nasty gelatinous cube Oin had put in the hallway, and I've been hooked ever since- 32 years now. Started with the box edition of D&D, acquired Greyhawk, Blackmoor and Eldritch Wizardry before moving on to AD&D, Gamma World, Traveller, Villains and Vigilantes, GURPS and Killer Bunnies.

OK, that last isn't role playing, but it's hysterical.

wxdruid
2009-10-06, 11:55 PM
catlover found out that one of favorite series of books, Warriors, has rpg rules to go along with it and is already plotting her own group. It's very cute to watch.

Lappy9000
2009-10-07, 12:31 AM
Hah! 'Bout 2-2.5 years ago, my friends and I tried to do everything free of the d20 SRD and online dice generators. Didn't work so well considering noone had a laptop at the time :smalltongue:

Things got cooler when one of my friends dug up the D&D starter's kit from his house, and a bunch of dice from some space-battle-football-board-game thing. Then we discovered there were people who actually played in the area!

Those first adventures were pretty good nontheless. I always think it's cool that I got introduced to Order of the Stick before I started playing any form of roleplaying game. It was still hilarious :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-07, 02:37 AM
catlover found out that one of favorite series of books, Warriors, has rpg rules to go along with it and is already plotting her own group. It's very cute to watch.This is awesome. You must be very proud. :smallcool:

CMOTDibbler
2009-10-07, 05:18 AM
I've been playing DnD since I was 9. Half of the people in my family play(Mother's whole side), so it was hard to miss. My uncle ran 1st edition DnD, and that's what I play now.

Trobby
2009-10-07, 09:29 AM
Oooh...that's a complex question. Do you mean specifically tabletop RP? Or does this include strictly text-driven RP?

The latter I've been doing since I was twelve (ten years now? That seems like forever!) though the former I only got into in my freshman year of college (so roughly 4 years for that).

Online RPing I've been doing basically ever since I logged onto the VGF message board. Back then there were plenty of places to just goof off and pretend to be whoever you wanted to be. I really got into it when RPing with my now-girlfriend, which basically consists of playing out the actions of other characters that we'd just make up. I'd been doing some of it more formally for awhile by that point, but I think more often than anywhere else, I do it on AIM.

DnD I got into in college during orientation, when I was introduced to Heroscape. Through the rest of my freshman year, I'd be in one of those fairly typical 3.5 campaigns, with dragons, wizards and drow all bearing down on us.

Since then, I've been trying to do it as often as possible. It's pretty much my favorite pass time. :smallbiggrin:

Fostire
2009-10-07, 09:37 AM
Oooh...that's a complex question. Do you mean specifically tabletop RP? Or does this include strictly text-driven RP?
What I had in mind was tabletop roleplaying games (like D&D), but feel free to discuss other game rpg as wells.
Some people even mentioned videogaming time.
And speaking of which, I've been playing videogames since before I have memory, I've even seen videos of my 2 year old self playing tetris.

RandomNPC
2009-10-07, 04:04 PM
D&D from age 16, went to the bookstore and said to myself: " hey self, that looks cool" to wich i replied, "You know self, i think you're right" sixty dollars in sourcebooks later I'm explaining movement rules to a friend who seems confused as to why halflings can't go as far as humans.

videogames? One of my earliest memories is sitting in the shopping cart suddenly turning and yelling "Hey dad a nintendo! can we get it?" and my sister (who was in the mimicing stages of learning how to talk) said "can we get it?"

Fostire
2009-10-07, 05:01 PM
D&D from age 16, went to the bookstore and said to myself: " hey self, that looks cool" to wich i replied, "You know self, i think you're right" sixty dollars in sourcebooks later I'm explaining movement rules to a friend who seems confused as to why halflings can't go as far as humans.
Well of course they can't go as far, they're half the size of a human :smalltongue:
Also, I totally talk to myself like that, except that I use my real name and another name instead of 'self'. It's a lot of fun to look at people's reactions when I talk out loud :smallbiggrin:

Trobby
2009-10-07, 05:09 PM
What I had in mind was tabletop roleplaying games (like D&D), but feel free to discuss other game rpg as wells.
Some people even mentioned videogaming time.

Videogaming, you say? I was sitting on my dad's lap playing Computer Yahtzee since I was 4 years old! :smallbiggrin: Good times...

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-07, 05:32 PM
Videogaming? Uh, I posted this somewhere else not too long ago. My first game system was around 1978. It was four variations of Pong.

V'icternus
2009-10-07, 05:37 PM
Even back then, some people just couldn't think of an original game idea... :smalltongue:

...Pong's fun, though...

And as a young child, I remember days wasted trying to defeat whole armada's of Invaders... from SPACE! It was me, my shields, and my gun. I usually fired through my own shield, they never saw it coming!

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-07, 05:41 PM
Even back then, some people just couldn't think of an original game idea... :smalltongue:

...Pong's fun, though... Hey, I thought Pong was the coolest thing ever. It's like TV, but I can play with it!

And as a young child, I remember days wasted trying to defeat whole armada's of Invaders... from SPACE! It was me, my shields, and my gun. I usually fired through my own shield, they never saw it coming!Waitaminnit! Did you help defeat Xur and the Kodan Armada!?

Shraik
2009-10-07, 05:58 PM
I started with Star Wars d6 roughly 4 and a half years ago. I played in that game for about year. Then a year after that, started running my own and have been since. Also I have been playing 3.5 the whole way through, plus one fourth edition, and one serenity gam.e
So I started gaming when 12 and now at 16 still am.
I don't remember how long exactly(I have a screwey) but I remember being in sixth grade when starting, and I am now in 11th

Rutskarn
2009-10-07, 05:59 PM
Started gaming when I was 7--I was using 2E at the time, and only switched to get into a group run by the hobby story. I haven't looked back since...or forward, come to think of it. Nothing against 4E, just don't see the point of upgrading right now.

Oh, yeah, and I've been playing for 11 years.

Alarra
2009-10-07, 06:12 PM
I love pong.

I started playing D&D at age 9, this was first edition. I played for about 3 years. We may have switched to 2nd edition at some point during those 3 years, but I'm not positive. I then took an 11 year break. When I was 23, I joined gitp, which got me back into D&D. This was shortly after Eberron came out, so that was the first setting I was really familiar with. I've now moved onto 4th edition (which I love, btw).

GallóglachMaxim
2009-10-07, 06:20 PM
I started off with wargaming when I was eleven, first got interested in D&D at seventeen when a friend lent me a few of his books. Next year, said friend disappeared, I still had the books (DMG, Eberron, Forgotten Realms, XPH, MM1, and I bought a second-hand PHB). My first actual playing experience was when I ran a game for my girlfriend and some of her uni friends at the start of this year (I'm twenty one now).

Chunklets
2009-10-07, 06:22 PM
I started when I was about 13, with the Basic and Expert sets. That mean, good lord, that I have been playing D&D for a quarter of a century...

RandomNPC
2009-10-07, 08:19 PM
...good lord, that I have been playing D&D for a quarter of a century...

time does fly when you are having fun, does it not?

Gamerlord
2009-10-07, 08:26 PM
I remember my first introduction into a tabletop game that wasn't something like monopoly when I was around 7 or 8....the D&D 3.5 basic set(The one with the blue dragon mini) and then a few days before Mr.Gygax died I bought 3.5 core rulebooks, then a year or 2 later the 4e books, then I got into tabletop wargaming as well... so I have played PnP games for around 5-7 years. :smallsmile:

Trog
2009-10-07, 10:27 PM
Hey, I thought Pong was the coolest thing ever. It's like TV, but I can play with it!

Waitaminnit! Did you help defeat Xur and the Kodan Armada!?

Also +1 for Pong. TV you can play with, indeed. :smallamused:

Also Yay! for The Last Starfighter reference! ^(^_^)^ *needs to watch that again*

banjo1985
2009-10-08, 05:49 AM
I've been roleplaying since I was 11, I gpt introduced to it through Dragonlance and A D&D, then went onto Deadlands and 3.5. Now I favour WoD and Call of Cthulhu, though we still play 3.5, GURPs, D2ON Modern and a heck of a lot of other stuff too.

So, I've been roleplaying for 13 years, over half my life....:smalleek:

varthalon
2009-10-08, 12:53 PM
For D&D

1974 - D&D first trademarked (there are a few earlier versions)
1977 - 1st edition published
1981 - I was in 6th grade and began playing with friends at school during lunch breaks, only played for two years
1987 - Joined a group of high school buddies and restarted playing the game
1989 - 2nd edition published
1994 - The group of high school buddies, graduating from college and many getting married finally broke up. Quite playing for awhile.
2000 - 3rd edition published - I got the books and read them and was very interested but didn't have any friends that played so I didn't restart playing yet
2002 - Restarted playing with the Living Greyhawk campaign
2003 - 3.5 edition published
2008 - 4th edition published - I'm now about 38 and still playing strong

I do also play several other table top RPGs and computer games (I especially like strategy computer games like warcraft and civilization), also liked the golden axe style of arcade games. So far I've managed to avoid warcrack and other MMORPGs because I know I would be totally addicted and would be found months later still in front of my computer.

TRM
2009-10-08, 01:03 PM
I first played an RPG when I was 5. One of my uncles had created a gaming system, and my brothers and I played it with him whenever possible; the rest of the time, we spent hours and hours making different characters.

I first played Dungeons and Dragons when I was 10, about 6 years ago. My older brother stumbled upon the book in the library, and I stole it from him. After checking it out, I didn't let the tattered 3rd Edition Player's Handbook out of my sight until I had read it from cover to cover at least twice, because I was worried that my brother would take it from me.

I played fairly regularly for the next 5 years, and introduced many of my friends to the game, but last year I drifted away, and now I haven't even looked at a game book for about 8 months. I don't see myself coming back to the hobby, but we'll have to see...

Fostire
2009-10-08, 05:08 PM
I don't see myself coming back to the hobby, but we'll have to see...
You'll come back. You'll see. They all come back

KilltheToy
2009-10-08, 09:08 PM
I first played D&D in 6th grade. My friends were playing it, so I went and joined in.

However, I have 15 minutes or so of playing time under my belt. I was once asked if I wanted to participate in a campaign, but I didn't get the question and turned him down :smallredface:. I really need to find a local game....

alchemyprime
2009-10-09, 12:25 AM
I started with a homebrew system I made at the age of 12. I started DMing because my best friend/brudder statted me out a 3.0 Half-Elf Ranger and I found out my mom played an Elf Cleric WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in the old days of the early 80s with my Uncle. So I thought it was fitting I would play a half-elf.

That character, Aranvil, was never used.

So I made my own system, based on the animes and video games I love (I pulled a lot from COwboy Bebop, Big O, Kingdom Hearts, Trigun, Hellsing and Skies of Arcadia, as well as the RA Salvatore Novels and the manga of Rurouni Kenshin). And it was good.

Then a friend, when I was 14, gave me her older brother's AD&D 2e stuff when he left for college. All we were missing was a Monstrous Manual. Freshman year was fun.

At 15, I started up on 3.5. I have in print over two dozen 3.5 books, including every optional class system book except ToB (which I have in PDF). Incarnum and Psionics are always, and will always be, my favorite, though wizards had a nice appeal.

So... it's been a good X-12 years, yeah.

Until my PbP players figure out my age, I'm not revealing X past the equation ((X + 1)*4)/16=5.

Lioness
2009-10-09, 12:49 AM
I've began to corrupt my brother, who is seven. I showed him my dice, and today I bought him his own set. I figure it's only a matter of time before he wants to know the game that goes with them.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-09, 12:55 AM
Until my PbP players figure out my age, I'm not revealing X past the equation ((X + 1)*4)/16=5.Your players can't figure that out? :smallconfused:

alchemyprime
2009-10-09, 12:59 AM
Yes and they haven't figured out I hide DM notes and free XP in my posts in white text.

Well, they figured it out so I guess I can say 19.

ghost_warlock
2009-10-09, 12:52 PM
I started gaming when I was...12? 30 now.

Sipex
2009-10-09, 01:05 PM
Started when I was 23...

I'm still 23.

Pyrian
2009-10-09, 01:15 PM
I'm still 23.I tell myself that all the time. :smallbiggrin:

Cleverdan22
2009-10-09, 01:33 PM
For Dnd, I'm still an infant. I just started this summer, but I played a LOT over the course of it. DM'd two campaigns and participated in two more. Had a ton of fun.

As for video games, I got my first system when I was but a wee lad, around age 5, a SNES. Still love it. Since then I have come to own an N64, Playstation, PS2, Game Boy Color(three of them), Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, Gamecube, Wii, and an Xbox 360. I love video games.

Trodon
2009-10-09, 10:00 PM
I started playing D&D when I was about 7, I'm now 16.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-11, 04:54 PM
Only started this year and I am 25, thiugh I have wanted to play for a very long time and have not had the chance.

Trobby
2009-10-12, 10:22 AM
Only started this year and I am 25, thiugh I have wanted to play for a very long time and have not had the chance.

Oh? when did you get the chance? Was it just from the forums, or was there an RL event that opened up an opportunity?

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-12, 04:02 PM
Real life, I bought the SW Saga core rules and started playing with a friend. With ONE friend.

It went on from there.

Blaine.Bush
2009-10-12, 08:04 PM
First played 3.5e in freshman year of high school, after finally meeting someone who played. I'm in my junior year of high school now. I began wanting to play after stumbling upon Oakspar77777's "Lessons from DMing with my GF" a few years before that. Coolest friggin' thread ever.

Robek
2009-10-12, 08:06 PM
First played 3.5e in freshman year of high school, after finally meeting someone who played. I'm in my junior year of high school now. I began wanting to play after stumbling upon Oakspar77777's "Lessons from DMing with my GF" a few years before that. Coolest friggin' thread ever.

We were so cool! With our no roleplaying, and horrible dungeon mastering, and not understanding how D&D really works. Good times.

Blaine.Bush
2009-10-12, 08:10 PM
We were so cool! With our no roleplaying, and horrible dungeon mastering, and not understanding how D&D really works. Good times.

Good times indeed. Then you had to move. Jerk. :smallwink:

Robek
2009-10-12, 08:16 PM
The first time I played seriously was with Blaine back in freshman year. But way before that when I was around 5, my brother, who was around 13 at the time, and two of his extremely nerdy 16 year old friends said I could play too. And by extremely nerdy, I mean they went to Pokemon competitions and had a world record on a Mario Kart 64 map. It was 2e, but he didn't have the book, so he tried his best to remember everything. I was a halfling thief, first level I think, and all I remember from the session is that I climbed down a chimney into a blacksmith's shop and stole every weapon he had. I'm pretty sure that's why I'm a nerd and not some track star. :smalltongue: