PDA

View Full Version : Risk: GitP Edition (Help me design this!)

Moff Chumley
2009-10-05, 06:21 PM
For those of you that know it, the board game Risk can be very tedious as written. Therefore, whenever my gaming group plays it, a host of new rules get invented. I thought it might be fun to take the concept and basic rules of the game, add a few dozen complicated rule systems, and run it as a structured game. So, without further adieu, here's the basic outline. Please revise, add, and comment as you see fit!

Instead of using a map of the world, I think it would be appropriate to use a fictional map. There are 60 regions, and thirty players: each player starts with two regions, and is grouped with two other players into a team, or empire, of three players/six regions.

The Turn
First is the economy step. On the beginning of the step, you generate income. Income is based on two factors: the prosperity of your land, and trade agreements with other players. Prosperity income is equal to population times resources, and trade income is equal to number of trade partners.
You can spend money on improving your territories, raising troops, or buying influence and loyalty.
The economy step lasts 24 hours, in which you PM the your action to the GM and banter in the main thread.

Next is the military step, which lasts 48 hours. Troop movement, battles, diplomacy, and espionage take place in this step. Most actions are carried out in the main thread, while diplomacy and espionage are done via PM.

Finally, the resolution. This takes the form of a single post by the GM followed by 24 more hours of discussion, in which alliances are announced, wars are declared, and other such shenanigans.

The proscess then repeats.

Units
Each unit has four statistics: Offense, Defense, Speed, and Price.
Scouts: 1/1/3/1 (Scouts cannot attack)
Infantry: 1/2/1/1
Guards: 1/3/1/2
Cavalry: 2/1/2/2
Archers: 2/2/1/2
Knights: 2/3/1/3
Raiders: 3/1/2/3
Artillery: 3/2/1/3

Combat
This bit is lifted directly from risk. Any units or groups of units but scouts may provoke an attack. When an attacked, units may either withdraw into a different territory, therefor surrendering it, or fight back. In the latter case, the attacker rolls 3d6 and drops the lowest die, and the opponent rolls 2d6. Whoever gets the higher result wins the battle. If the attacker wins, he destroys enemy units equal to his offense score. He cannot destroy units with defense scores higher than his highest offense score. (For instance, three infantries cannot destroy a guard.) If the defender wins, he destroys a number of enemies equal to his defense score.

Each unit may fight two plus their speed battles per turn, or move up to their speed.

Improvements
I'll come back to this bit... I got no ideas right now.

Moff Chumley
2009-10-13, 07:43 PM
So, no one a fan of the idea? :smallfrown:

TehSheen
2009-10-13, 07:50 PM
I am! I actually like the idea of a Risk on the forums. However, it would get a bit chaotic as multiple people make actions, attack other regions, and buy troops. I completely support this if it was modified to a game with fewer players, to make it easier to keep track of.

Oddity
2009-10-13, 11:52 PM
Expressing interest.
All for teams of two.
Not good at thinking of ideas... sorry... :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-14, 01:27 AM
In.

Just like I was in the previous game of Risk here, which was never finished.:smallfrown:

I'l go and read rules and put up some Think Tank up later, this afternoon.

Moff Chumley
2009-10-18, 01:40 PM
Excellent. You're right, it would get chaotic... maybe if there were several large alliances, say four or five, and each one got a day to make their actions?

TehSheen
2009-10-18, 03:42 PM
Oh yes, that would work out pretty fine. Also, expressing interest if this great idea turns into a game.