PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel Serenity would be a good name for a daughter?

Pika...
2009-10-05, 08:23 PM
So my cousin has been on my case about this for a bit, and now I am wanting to know what the folks here think of this argument.

I have been dreaming of naming my one-day-to-come little girl Serenity since I was around thirteen years old (yeah, I know I am strange...).

I told my cousin two months ago, and she keeps insisting that would be a terrible name to give a girl/woman. I am not entirely sure why, but she claims it's a "girl's thing". :smallfrown:

So, can especially the ladies here tell me if this is so. And if so, why?

BatRobin
2009-10-05, 08:29 PM
I think that's a nice, name, but for some reason it only clicks in my head with a girl with that really light (almost yellow-white) hair.

I think it's a good choice though.

But her classmates who know of the old stuff *coughYuGiOhcough* might...mock her if she ends up blind with a voice problem instead of give her sympathy.

industrious
2009-10-05, 08:31 PM
Personally, I think it's an okay name. Unusual, but not that much so.

And I think of an old Firefly-class freighter whenever I hear the word.

Syka
2009-10-05, 08:35 PM
I think of Firefly when I hear it.

While I'm all for unique names I am not a huge fan of using abstract concepts for names.

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-05, 08:38 PM
Like others, it makes me think of Firefly. But it's not that bad a name.

Pika...
2009-10-05, 08:38 PM
I think that's a nice, name, but for some reason it only clicks in my head with a girl with that really light (almost yellow-white) hair.

I think it's a good choice though.

But her classmates who know of the old stuff *coughYuGiOhcough* might...mock her if she ends up blind with a voice problem instead of give her sympathy.

Yugioh?

I am feeling old now. That is off by a good decade. :smallconfused:

Pika...
2009-10-05, 08:40 PM
I had forgotten about Firefly...

Assassin89
2009-10-05, 08:41 PM
I think Serenity also has a meaning similar to calmness, and is not always associated with 4kids Yu-gi-oh or Firefly.

Although it sounds like a nice name, I do not know why females do not like a word synonymous with peace or calmness.

Innis Cabal
2009-10-05, 08:41 PM
No, its not a good name for a child. Words like Chastity, Serenity, Hope, Grace....they arn't names, and they shouldn't be. Next thing you know people will name their bouncing baby boy Sardonic or Hate.

Em Blackleaf
2009-10-05, 08:43 PM
I like the name Serenity, but I do associate it with Firefly. I think it depends on what the mother thinks as well.

Fawkes
2009-10-05, 08:45 PM
Uh, Hope and Grace (and Joy) have been names for a long time. Chastity is a but much, but there's nothing wrong with Serenity. If nouns aren't your thing, you could shorten it to Serene or Serena.

(Somewhat of a tangent: I once met a person named Tyranny. Now THAT'S a bad name.)

Pika...
2009-10-05, 08:46 PM
I like the name Serenity, but I do associate it with Firefly. I think it depends on what the mother thinks as well.

True true, but I am willing to beg and do whatever it takes to get the name through. It will probably be something I make clear before I even offer a ring.

It's from a series that is very close to my heart. It inspired me, and I am certain affected how I turned out to today. I still hunt down collectibles and figures of it to preserve and protect today (Just got a box of a few figures last week).

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 08:46 PM
No, its not a good name for a child. Words like Chastity, Serenity, Hope, Grace....they arn't names, and they shouldn't be. Next thing you know people will name their bouncing baby boy Sardonic or Hate.

Chastity maybe not (talk about a burden!) but "Hope" and "Grace" are names I've always liked. And Serenity is a much nicer alternative to Serena. I approve. :smalltongue:

Pika...
2009-10-05, 08:47 PM
Uh, Hope and Grace (and Joy) have been names for a long time. Chastity is a but much, but there's nothing wrong with Serenity. If nouns aren't your thing, you could shorten it to Serene or Serena.

(Somewhat of a tangent: I once met a person named Tyranny. Now THAT'S a bad name.)

I think it's pretty cool actually. :smallamused:

Cruxador
2009-10-05, 08:49 PM
I... kind of agree with your cousin, actually. Not about it being a girl thing. Can't really explain why, though. I guess just because it's an unusual name, and is kind of awkward, from a phonetic standpoint.

Pika...
2009-10-05, 08:49 PM
Chastity maybe not (talk about a burden!) but "Hope" and "Grace" are names I've always liked. And Serenity is a much nicer alternative to Serena. I approve. :smalltongue:

Hahahaah. Someone actually knows it.

Thanks, you made my day. :smallsmile:

However, I kinda was thinking of Serena for a middle name....

ps. Was Serena actually a used/real name?

Dragonrider
2009-10-05, 09:07 PM
However, I kinda was thinking of Serena for a middle name....

ps. Was Serena actually a used/real name?

Yes, Serena is a real name. Serena Williams, anyone?

But Serenity Serena is kind of redundant.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-05, 09:16 PM
Selene is a much better name than Serena. Yes, I know, unrelated, but they sound similar-ish. >.>

Trai
2009-10-05, 09:29 PM
Serenity actually sounds really pretty. I disagree with whoever said Hope, Grace, Joy, etc. shouldn't be names. I really like Grace as a name, and I'm planning on naming a daughter Chloe Joy one day, so yeah.

But I really like Serenity as a name. The only opinion that matters is yours (and the woman having the baby, of course).

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-10-05, 09:31 PM
Mmm, I kinda like it, but I'm supposedly not one for names.

I once revealed that the names I'd like to choose are Lorelai, Faye, Aurora and Ivy for a girl, and Mordecai and Sean for boys.

Family members have been telling me ever since they'll steal them from the cradle just to keep them from being named.

Thajocoth
2009-10-05, 09:34 PM
...Sean...

What was their problem with "Sean" for a name?

Dracomorph
2009-10-05, 09:34 PM
Serenity isn't bad, but I always liked Esmerelda instead. Or Ruby.

I guess I've got a thing for gemstones.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-10-05, 09:36 PM
What was their problem with "Sean" for a name?
That may be the only one they didn't pick on. Just the rest. I also liked the boy name Logan. That one was ok'd for what it's worth.

Thajocoth
2009-10-05, 09:39 PM
That may be the only one they didn't pick on. Just the rest. I also liked the boy name Logan. That one was ok'd for what it's worth.

I asked 'cause MY name is Sean. So it seemed weird to me that somebody might think it weird for use as a name.

My friend actually named his kid Logan. He and his wife both came up with a list of names. On his list, Logan was there because of Wolverine. On his wife's list, Logan was there because of Logan's Run.

Faulty
2009-10-05, 09:40 PM
I think it's a nice name. What if you get a boy though?

Trog
2009-10-05, 09:49 PM
SERENITY NOW!! :furious:

:smalltongue:

Pika...
2009-10-05, 10:12 PM

At least those are original/unique.

I know someone named John. He tells me he has seven friends. Their names are John, John, John, John, John, John, and (wanna guess?).

God knows how many frequent my local Flag. And like 4-5 Roberts.

I think it's a nice name. What if you get a boy though?

I would like all my boys to be Jr. the 3rd, the 4th etc, but I would gladly give that up to name the first daughter.

SERENITY NOW!! :furious:

:smalltongue:

Oh yeah...

Not to mention when she enters her teen years. :smalleek:

Then again, I would like my daughter to have the spunky/rebellious attitude of her namesake. :smallsmile:

SensFan
2009-10-05, 11:00 PM
I would like all my boys to be Jr. the 3rd, the 4th etc, but I would gladly give that up to name the first daughter.
BAD IDEA.

I know 2 'Jr.'s, and they both hate it. Neither can stand the fact that they will always be in their father's shadow. If they do something good, it gets attributed to their father. If they do something bad, people associate them as 'worse' than their father.

BAD IDEA.

Shades of Gray
2009-10-05, 11:03 PM
Name them Sr.

Just to screw with people.

Thajocoth
2009-10-05, 11:12 PM
BAD IDEA.

I know 2 'Jr.'s, and they both hate it. Neither can stand the fact that they will always be in their father's shadow. If they do something good, it gets attributed to their father. If they do something bad, people associate them as 'worse' than their father.

BAD IDEA.

I had a friend for a while who was a "the 4th". He didn't seem to mind.

Alteran
2009-10-05, 11:23 PM
Chastity maybe not (talk about a burden!)

My sister has a friend named Justice. For reals.

I once revealed that the names I'd like to choose are Lorelai, Faye, Aurora and Ivy for a girl, and Mordecai and Sean for boys.

Family members have been telling me ever since they'll steal them from the cradle just to keep them from being named.

Of those, the only one that I particularly dislike is Mordecai. I also don't love Aurora as a name, but as a word it's very nice.

Maybe your family is just strange? Or maybe we all are...

Solaris
2009-10-05, 11:39 PM

Arguably, it would have been better for the world had my parents named me somewhere along that vein. Unfortunately, those names you think shouldn't be have been for quite some time. They'll likely remain for quite some time yet. Personally, I think Serenity is a fine, if somewhat unusual, name.

BAD IDEA.

BAD IDEA.

I'm a II (2nd), and I don't have any problems with being named after my father (admittedly, the wrong way - according to the 'rules', I should be a Jr). I don't think anybody's ever attributed my actions to my father (well, more than they would for any single parent).

EndlessWrath
2009-10-06, 12:19 AM
I think its a fine name! (I actually considered it myself quite a few times)...

Hope, Joy, Grace, Serenity. They'd be great names in my opinion. There's just too many emily's, sarah's, jessicas, and megans. (same goes for guys too: Josh/Joe/ Michael) etc.

A great choice, just make sure the mom would be okay with it. Your girl might not live up to her name all the time, but its a father's right to dream isn't it?:smalltongue:

-Wrath

Pika...
2009-10-06, 12:24 AM
I think its a fine name! (I actually considered it myself quite a few times)...

Hope, Joy, Grace, Serenity. They'd be great names in my opinion. There's just too many emily's, sarah's, jessicas, and megans. (same goes for guys too: Josh/Joe/ Michael) etc.

A great choice, just make sure the mom would be okay with it. Your girl might not live up to her name all the time, but its a father's right to dream isn't it?:smalltongue:

-Wrath

Eh. Like I said before, I actually hope my (one day hopefully) daughter lives up to her namesake in personality and attitude. (It's not the dictionary definition you are probably thinking of.)

Tiger Duck
2009-10-06, 12:49 AM
People are more likely to live up to their names than people without that name.
More more peoples named Denis become dentist than statisticly probable.

Mewtarthio
2009-10-06, 12:49 AM

Really? I actually think those girl names are all really pretty. Though I guess I could see your daughter getting upset that you saddled her with such a ridiculously hard-to-spell name as "Lorelai" (or is that "Lorelei"?). At least it sounds nice. Though for girl's names, I'm personally partial to the soft "a," as in "Cassandra" or "Brianna."

I'd never name my son "Mordecai," though. I realize it's a traditional Jewish name and all, but it sounds too much like its roots are in "mort" (ie "death").

And on another note entirely, babynames.com lists "Abcde" as a unisex name. Has anyone ever heard of any child named "Abcde"? :smallconfused:

Pyrian
2009-10-06, 12:53 AM
I had a friend for a while who was a "the 4th". He didn't seem to mind.Numbers are just infinitely cooler than "jr".

My sister has a friend named Justice. For reals.I sat on a jury for a criminal trial of someone whose surname was Justice. That made the title of the trial: "People vs. Justice", which amused me no end. :smallcool:

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-06, 12:59 AM
I'm a "The Second". I think that's pretty cool.
It plays hell with legal documents when secretaries just write III instead of II because they're not bothering to look at the number of vertical lines.
Also on-subject, my girlfriend wants to name our theoretical first daughter Scholastica Amber <Hyphenated Surname>.
I have since joked that naming our theoretical first son "Paladin Alexander <Hyphenated Surname>" would be in keeping with the theme.

She actually liked the idea.

skywalker
2009-10-06, 01:22 AM
I don't particularly like it. I wouldn't be interested in a girl named Serenity, I don't think. It of course makes me think of Firefly. It's just not a very good name. What series are you talking about? Think about the Matrix, where they call someone "Trinity" (a similar sounding name) a lot. Think about that sound. I don't like it, personally. There's a lot to be said for giving people meaningful names, but you also have to consider that you are naming a person. They are going to have to deal with that name, possibly forever. For you, it's "I named my kid Serenity, isn't that cool?" But she has to hear the word every time someone wants her attention, every time... well, think about your future son-in-law. You need to take all of those things into account when you name a person.

Numbers are just infinitely cooler than "jr".

Generally speaking, you have to start with "jr." to get to numbers, tho. I mean, if you name your son "the second" you're clearly expecting him to name your grandson after you as well. Just seems like a lot of pressure.

I know a "the third," tho, and I think it's awesome. His nickname is Trip (which is by far better than "Trey" or otherwise).

She's a stripper!
-She is not!
Her name is Chastity, she is white trash!

Mewtarthio
2009-10-06, 01:25 AM
Generally speaking, you have to start with "jr." to get to numbers, tho. I mean, if you name your son "the second" you're clearly expecting him to name your grandson after you as well. Just seems like a lot of pressure.

I'm fairly certain that the rule is "Junior" for a child with the same name as his father and "the Second" for a child with the same name as his grandfather. Not that anyone particularly cares, of course.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-06, 01:27 AM
I know a "the third," tho, and I think it's awesome. His nickname is Trip (which is by far better than "Trey" or otherwise).
His first name would happen to be Charles (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Charles_Tucker_III) now would it?:smallamused:

Pyrian
2009-10-06, 01:27 AM
Generally speaking, you have to start with "jr." to get to numbers, tho.Just because that was traditional doesn't mean we have to abide by it now. :smallcool:

I mean, if you name your son "the second" you're clearly expecting him to name your grandson after you as well. Just seems like a lot of pressure.That's even worse for jr., though, because not only are you pressuring him to continue the chain, you're forcing him to suffer through the bad part of the whole idea. :smalltongue:

Besides, the numbers don't have to be generationally consecutive, anyway. If you can run up your family line and find two Jonathans you're pretty much free to call yourself Jon the Third already.

HellfireLover
2009-10-06, 01:43 AM
Serenity's not such a bad name. Any child with a name even slightly out of sync with whatever the cultural zeitgeist is at the time is going to get it in the ear about having an unusual name from their peers. (Hello, personal experience! Hyphenated first name is calling you from across the years.)

skywalker
2009-10-06, 01:54 AM
I'm fairly certain that the rule is "Junior" for a child with the same name as his father and "the Second" for a child with the same name as his grandfather. Not that anyone particularly cares, of course.

I mean that if you name your child "the 2nd" you're pressuring him to name his child "the 3rd," since traditionally you can only become "the 2nd" retroactively.

His first name would happen to be Charles (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Charles_Tucker_III) now would it?:smallamused:

Tucker is Southern, and it happens to be a rather common convention around here to use "Trip" instead of "Trey," if you weren't aware.

That's even worse for jr., though, because not only are you pressuring him to continue the chain, you're forcing him to suffer through the bad part of the whole idea. :smalltongue:

I don't see "junior" as being as pressing, more like "hey I like my name and I think you should have it." But I see how it could be seen as pressure. Actually, my friend's dad is still known as "junior" from what I can tell. Luckily, he has a name that can be split a lot of different ways, with the result that all 3 have a different nickname even without "Trip."

Maelstrom
2009-10-06, 02:08 AM
Well, Trog beat me to it, but here's my input:

Serenity Now! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5513mXmQbw4)

billtodamax
2009-10-06, 02:13 AM
I really don't see the problem with serenity as a name. Sounds nice.

Thanatos 51-50
2009-10-06, 02:41 AM

This.

My father's name is Shane.
My grandfather is the one whom I share names with.

toasty
2009-10-06, 02:43 AM
Serenity sounds amazing. Seriously. I might steal it.

I also like the name Hope... Joy is okay. Chasity is horrible. And I dislike Charity, I know someone named Charity, I feel sorry for her after a fashion.

I also know a boy named Justus and I DO feel sorry for him. What his parents were thinking I cannot imagine. But then again I also know an Elvis and a Julius... (whom we call Julie :smalltongue:).

Regarding the whole "Junior, Senior, I, II, III, IV" thing: I know a John IV and he doesn't seem to mind. I think its friggin cool to be John IV and I'd name my son after me in hopes of doing someday having something like that happen if it wasn't for the fact that my family already has a naming tradition (male children get Roy as their first name and something else as their middle name, and then go by the middle name).

Eldan
2009-10-06, 03:30 AM
Huh. Strange. Everyone else thinks of Firefly first.

I think of Her Serenity, of course.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll200/Missghostly/planescape%20torment%20original%20album%20art/ladyfloat.jpg

May Her shadow not pass over you.

So, yes, I approve of that name.

Cracklord
2009-10-06, 03:34 AM
I always think of The Castle. "How's the Serenity"
I love being Australian.
But if you are going to name her after an abstract concept, what's wrong with virtues? Prudence is nice, Charity maybe.

Galileo
2009-10-06, 03:57 AM
If you're gonna go with virtues, why not Punctuality? Nothing wrong with a bit of good timekeeping.

I really like Serenity as a name. I'd like to name my hypothetical-daughter that too. I'd better not live next to toasty and pika, though, or there'll be so much Serenity.

billtodamax
2009-10-06, 04:14 AM
I always think of The Castle. "How's the Serenity"
I love being Australian.
But if you are going to name her after an abstract concept, what's wrong with virtues? Prudence is nice, Charity maybe.

You, good sir, win the thread. May I offer you a high-five?

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-06, 04:39 AM
This.

My father's name is Shane.
My grandfather is the one whom I share names with.Huh, I never considered that. My nephew is technically a "the Second" since he shares both first and middle names with my father, but not my brother.

Cracklord
2009-10-06, 04:41 AM
You, good sir, win the thread. May I offer you a high-five?

Indeed you may.

Jalor
2009-10-06, 04:44 AM
I think it would be a great name. I'm also a Browncoat, so take that with a grain of salt.

I also thought of Planescape second, Seinfeld third, and had to Google "Serenity Yu-gi-oh" to figure that one out. I feel old now.

billtodamax
2009-10-06, 04:49 AM
Indeed you may.

*high-fives*

Anyway. I don't feel she'll be too troubled by pop-culture references. I just don't see it as that big of an issue.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-06, 04:49 AM
Isn't Serenity a name in Sailor Moon?

My theory on this is: don't give kids names that they are going to be embarrased by later in life.

Quincunx
2009-10-06, 04:51 AM
How long does a name remain embarrassing, though? Every year sees a spike of popular names. There's a high proportion of eleven- and twelve-year-old Dianas running around this planet, and other than the nuisance of having to live with a nickname, are they still yoked by the expectations of a princess?

In this age of extreme geographical mobility, making sure your names are culturally portable might be a good idea. There aren't any obvious hiccups in spelling or pronunciation to "Serenity", but as an English word some people may automatically translate it.

No, it's not a good name for a child. Words like Chastity, Serenity, Hope, Grace....they aren't names, and they shouldn't be. Next thing you know people will name their bouncing baby boy Sardonic or Hate.

This is the complaint about it being a "girl's name". Yes, most ancient names are derived from traits you want the child to display, but that has been obscured over time. Modern words, even abstract nouns, are still squashing the child down to a concept, and we don't do that to modern people. [EDIT: They do it to themselves.]

Jalor
2009-10-06, 05:02 AM
Anyway. I don't feel she'll be too troubled by pop-culture references. I just don't see it as that big of an issue.
It can be awful. In middle school, I knew a guy named Michael who was best friends with someone named Jackson. "Hide your little brothers, it's Michael Jackson" got old quickly, especially since nobody ever came up with a new joke and it got repeated several times daily.

But all five of the cultural references I've seen here are for a generation your child will know nothing of. Unless some of her classmates have Browncoat parents, they'll never notice anything besides a slightly unusual name.

Tirian
2009-10-06, 05:11 AM
I asked 'cause MY name is Sean. So it seemed weird to me that somebody might think it weird for use as a name.

My brother's name is also Sean, and he doesn't recommend it to others. One would be surprised at how many people in the world don't know how to pronounce it, and even among the rest the inclination is to choose one of the other two variant spellings. It's a shame, because it is a nice sounding name, but evidently high-maintenance. (And that goes double for "Siobhan", a name I adore but couldn't imagine placing on a child.)

As far as "Serenity" goes, I think it's like "Trinity"; a pretty sounding word that will be forever attached to a media franchise. I don't think that "Wow, your parents must have really liked Firefly," quite rises to the level of teasing, but it would last for a lifetime of eye-rolling. Of course, the Inara jokes would rise to the level of teasing.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-06, 05:12 AM
I agree, it can be hard to pick, but there are cases of kids changing their names simply because the ones their gave them parents have been rather embarrasing.

Though naming kids after virtues is not a new thing, I remember all the funny names that were fashionable after the French Revolution. Constitution...

Eldan
2009-10-06, 05:25 AM
Actually, I'd say a majority of names are derived from virtues somehow.

I mean, my name is Andreas. (Andrew for you english-speaking name bastardizers :smallwink: ) What's that mean? "The Manly One". Which is really a joke considering that I'm an overweight, untrained, cowardly wuss who can't stand the thought of pain. :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-06, 05:30 AM
I've recently heard some pretty bad names that I can't believe social services let the parents get away with...

Oh-ron'-juh-loh (Spelled Orangejello.)
Leh-mon'-juh-loh (Spelled Lemonjello, yes, siblings.)
Luh-dash'-uh (Spelled, no joke, L-a. The '-' is not silent. :smallsigh:)

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-06, 05:53 AM
Some judges actually refuse to write some names they think as silly.

Eldan
2009-10-06, 05:58 AM
Heh. Yeah, most of these only work with american naming laws anyway. At least in Switzerland, you have to explain to the naming office why the name is appropriate to the child's culture and show proof that it is actually a name.

Yora
2009-10-06, 06:02 AM
We have german parents giving their children english names without either knowing how, or unable to pronounce them correctly. That's bad enough.
I think the US is the only industrial country where you can pick any real or made up word as a name.

Huh, I never considered that. My nephew is technically a "the Second" since he shares both first and middle names with my father, but not my brother.
I'm the third, after my father, who was named after his uncle who died shortly before his birth. And I really know how I want to name my first son. :smallbiggrin:
The great thing about Martin is, that it has been in constant use for centuries with people of every age and from almost all social classes. So it's unlikely to ever become outdated, making it a very good name for a continous line of children names. :smallbiggrin:

bluewind95
2009-10-06, 06:23 AM
Just... don't name your daughter Alaska. I feel SO sorry for the girl with that name... :smallsigh:

Violet Octopus
2009-10-06, 06:34 AM
As far as "Serenity" goes, I think it's like "Trinity"; a pretty sounding word that will be forever attached to a media franchise. I don't think that "Wow, your parents must have really liked Firefly," quite rises to the level of teasing, but it would last for a lifetime of eye-rolling. Of course, the Inara jokes would rise to the level of teasing.

But it can happen the other way, when a media franchise develops after a child is born. I got teased for a while (minorly) when the Harry Potter movies started coming out. "You're a wizard Harry!".

Both my dad and I were named after actors in classic science fiction movies. I get asked pretty often if I was named after that actor, and they get excited when I tell them I was. Clearly that's different from character naming, but I think if it comes from a franchise that's liked by most who recognise it, there wouldn't be a problem.

So, Serenity is fine. T'Pol, Bella and Hermione, probably not.

snoopy13a
2009-10-06, 06:46 AM
I'd name my daughter... Sue
I'd name my son... Sue
Why? To make him tough and to make him mean :smalltongue:

Mr. Mud
2009-10-06, 06:57 AM

I kid you not, there is a La-A' (Luh-dash'-uh) at my local high school. And you and I live in the same area. Odd eh?

Jack Squat
2009-10-06, 07:03 AM
I've recently heard some pretty bad names that I can't believe social services let the parents get away with...

Wait...those are actually used :smalleek:

I've heard them was in some Shirley Q. Liquor skits, and figured it was just a parody.

pendell
2009-10-06, 07:03 AM
I think Serenity's a good name. Although it makes me think of Firefly first, the sad truth is by the time the young lady is in her teens, few people will remember the show, and certainly none of her peers will. But since the name has a dictionary definition, it has staying power.

I like it.

The problem with pop culture references to names is that pop culture changes all the time, and with luck the child will carry the name for decades. It's quite possible that during her time Serenity will be the name of a popular band , a movie, a cartoon character, a toy, and a tag line to a famous internet meme (assuming they still have internet in 2020). We can't predict those changes.

But the dictionary definition will probably remain constant. So Serenity is a name with staying power. I like.

Of course, this is coming from the guy who intends to name his children Cthulthu, Nyarlothep, etc. Kids won't pick on 'em. Why? Because if they start saying bad things about Cthulthu many-tentacled monstrosities will devour them alive. My children will be safe. And the world will be short that many bullies :).

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-06, 08:56 AM
Wait...those are actually used :smalleek:

I've heard them was in some Shirley Q. Liquor skits, and figured it was just a parody.Mind you, I've not met these girls, but I trust my source when she says they were her clients (no, not Alarra, but one of her associates).

Trog
2009-10-06, 09:30 AM
That makes me wonder if the character Dash in the movie The Incredibles doesn't spell his name just "-" :smalltongue:

Tirian
2009-10-06, 09:31 AM
I think the US is the only industrial country where you can pick any real or made up word as a name.

It's not quite that simple. Our system is very decentralized. The local registrar can refuse to accept a birth certificate if they don't like the name on it, and in that case you have to try to get a court order to get them to accept it. To give one famous example, Dweezil Zappa didn't legally have that name until he was five and was able to tell a judge himself that he agreed with his father's choice of name.

Pika...
2009-10-06, 10:19 AM
Huh. Strange. Everyone else thinks of Firefly first.

I think of Her Serenity, of course.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll200/Missghostly/planescape%20torment%20original%20album%20art/ladyfloat.jpg

May Her shadow not pass over you.

So, yes, I approve of that name.

I had completely forgotten that the Lady of Sigil also had that title. She has a few if I remember correctly. :smallconfused:

And if she turns out a geek player, then I can always poke jokes about it. (That is, if Sigil is still around by then).

Isn't Serenity a name in Sailor Moon?

My theory on this is: don't give kids names that they are going to be embarrased by later in life.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/Serenity.jpg

ps. I sometimes think that my nickname for "daddy's little girl"could be Princess. :smallsmile:

Dragonrider
2009-10-06, 10:21 AM
I think you can't win with names - kids are embarrassed if they're unusual as much as if they're dead common.

Myself, I have a creatively spelled name that is uncommon even in its normal form - and while it's annoying that the nurses at the doctor's office always stumble over pronouncing it, I'm really, really glad it's so unusual.

Plus: when That Girl on my 3rd grade softball team was making up cruel nicknames for all my friends, she couldn't think of anything for me because she had no idea what to do with a name like mine.

Gulaghar
2009-10-06, 10:36 AM
I may not know much about names, but Serenity sounds good to me. I can't see why anybody would have a problem with it.

vollmond
2009-10-06, 11:46 AM
I really like the name Serenity. Big fan of Hope and Grace, too, though not Chastity. Prudence can work, but it ends up very dependent on the child's personality.

Something to consider is nicknames. Is there a shortened form she can go with? I'm a Samuel, but I've gone by Sam since elementary school.

Serenity... maybe Rennie? My wife Lauren goes by that sometimes.

To whoever was talking about Lorelei above, I love that name. I also really like the German myths about the Lorelei, especially Heinrich Heine's poem "Die Lorelei", so I may be a bit biased. Also, Gilmore Girls rocks :-)

Faulty
2009-10-06, 12:03 PM

My friend James was named after his father, and he absolutely hates him for it. Then again he just hates his father, but you never know how your kids will feel about you/your wife/each other. So like, that might not be the best idea.

Pika...
2009-10-06, 12:21 PM
I really like the name Serenity. Big fan of Hope and Grace, too, though not Chastity. Prudence can work, but it ends up very dependent on the child's personality.

Something to consider is nicknames. Is there a shortened form she can go with? I'm a Samuel, but I've gone by Sam since elementary school.

Serenity... maybe Rennie? My wife Lauren goes by that sometimes.

To whoever was talking about Lorelei above, I love that name. I also really like the German myths about the Lorelei, especially Heinrich Heine's poem "Die Lorelei", so I may be a bit biased. Also, Gilmore Girls rocks :-)

One of the reasons I was thinking Serena for her middle name...

My friend James was named after his father, and he absolutely hates him for it. Then again he just hates his father, but you never know how your kids will feel about you/your wife/each other. So like, that might not be the best idea.

The (insert male genitalia here) I rode in on placed his first name as my (now gone and replaced) middle name.

However, I desire to be a true father to my hopeful children, so I figure if I mess up they will remove my name, but if I do good they might take pride in it?

Faulty
2009-10-06, 12:27 PM
The (insert male genitalia here) I rode in on placed his first name as my (now gone and replaced) middle name.

However, I desire to be a true father to my hopeful children, so I figure if I mess up they will remove my name, but if I do good they might take pride in it?

I guess they could. Sometimes you can be a great parent and have really ungrateful kids though. My brother's not very nice to my parents, and my mom is one of the nicest people I have ever met, hands down. ;|

Kids like to individuate from there parents at some time, they might prefer having a different name as a result.

Joran
2009-10-06, 02:01 PM
Personally, I was thinking of naming my child "Doctor Lawyer [insert my last name]". If people name their kids "Princess" or "Prince", I should be allowed to name my kid something he or she may actually achieve... I'm kidding of course, but for some reason it rolls off the tongue.

Eh, Serenity doesn't really strike me as something that sounds particularly beautiful as a name. It's easy to spell and easy to pronounce which is always a plus, but shouted as a name, it's a bit awkward. Maybe something that means Serenity or is derived from the word like Serena?

P.S. Serenity is a very nice middle name.

Pika...
2009-10-07, 12:09 AM
Personally, I was thinking of naming my child "Doctor Lawyer [insert my last name]". If people name their kids "Princess" or "Prince", I should be allowed to name my kid something he or she may actually achieve... I'm kidding of course, but for some reason it rolls off the tongue.

Be sure to get him a British phone booth toy.

Thajocoth
2009-10-07, 01:52 AM
My brother's name is also Sean, and he doesn't recommend it to others. One would be surprised at how many people in the world don't know how to pronounce it, and even among the rest the inclination is to choose one of the other two variant spellings. It's a shame, because it is a nice sounding name, but evidently high-maintenance.

I've never had someone mispronounce it... And people who spell it Shawn are wrong. (People who spell it Shaun are double wrong.) :smallbiggrin:*

The spelling "Sean" is the original Irish spelling.

I was almost named "Richard" because my mother thought "Rick O'Shea" would be hilarious. I no longer have that last name either though...

*Joking, obviously...

toddex
2009-10-07, 02:12 AM
This entire thread was made awesome by the kid who referenced a yugioh character and none of us know what the hell hes talking about.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-07, 04:46 AM
This entire thread was made awesome by the kid who referenced a yugioh character and none of us know what the hell hes talking about.

I know who he's talking about...

I'd be quite tempted to name a girl Serenity, though I'd be more tempted to use the name Astrid for a girl...

Pika...
2009-10-07, 05:21 AM
Wow.

This thread seems split pretty evenly down the middle. :smallconfused:

I would love to get more women' opinions, though.

And if need be, I guess I have quite a few other sailor scouts too choose from? Although, I have had my heart set on Serenity for quite some time. My next choice would probably be Rini (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chibi-usa).

Depending on how nice the mother would be, I could always name the second/third girl(s) Rini, Rei, or Ami.

ps. Yes, and I figured that the cultural reference would be pretty old by then, but it would still be meaningful to me. And I have been trying to hunt down the box sets for years now, so maybe one day I will have them. :smallfrown:

Killer Angel
2009-10-07, 05:40 AM
Wow.

This thread seems split pretty evenly down the middle. :smallconfused:

Then i give my contribute! :smallsmile:
I like names with some meaning, but they mustn't be silly, too much unusual, or making pun jokes. And I don't think Serenity falls in one of these categories.

If can help, i named my second daughter Gaia, which means both "mother earth" and "happy".

TheBST
2009-10-07, 06:12 AM

Joking aside, I think they made it illegal to name your kid 'Doctor' or 'Sir' and the like because scam artists actually used to do it.

Oh and 'Serenity'? Terrible name. Boring, precious and embarrassing.

Pika...
2009-10-07, 06:24 AM
If can help, i named my second daughter Gaia, which means both "mother earth" and "happy".

I like that name quite a bit. She is destined to be a geek/gamer girl isn't she? :smallsmile:

Plus, you just hit me with a nostalgia bomb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4e-A3k9Xi8).

Killer Angel
2009-10-07, 06:27 AM
I like that name quite a bit. She is destined to be a geek/gamer girl isn't she? :smallsmile:

Well, I hope so... :smallwink:

Pika...
2009-10-07, 06:29 AM
Well, I hope so... :smallwink:

May I ask what inspired you to name her that?

I am guessing, based on your birthday thread, that you are a bit old for it to have been my above reference?

SoD
2009-10-07, 06:30 AM
Serenity...hmm. I think it's a nice name, and follows the sort of names I like. I've never been overly keen on what I perceive to be 'normal' names. I find it rather unfair that I know people with names like 'Zebulon Warwick Dwyer' or 'Eli Archemedies Halliwell' when I'm stuck with 'David John Morgan'.

If I end up marrying the girl I'm with now, I plan on naming our first son Harvey. Because me and my girl first hooked up at a Harvey Wallbanger party :smallbiggrin:

Killer Angel
2009-10-07, 06:42 AM

I am guessing, based on your birthday thread, that you are a bit old for it to have been my above reference?

Yep, never saw them (even if I was aware of their existence).
My surname is looong, so I light the burden for my daughters with a short name, no more than 4 or 5 letters.
Sara was given to the first one... the second one was a little more difficult to choose.
Gaia is the name of one of my wife's cousin; i like the girl, i like the name, and I'm a geologist, so I like the meaning of "mother heart". My wife wasn't really sure about it, but she changed idea... :smallwink: (Gaia was her second choice, but her first one, was just taken by her brand new nephew, only 5 months older than Gaia)

pendell
2009-10-07, 07:46 AM

FYI, I first encountered the word 'Gaia' in the book Foundation's Edge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation%27s_Edge), published in 1982. The Gaia hypothesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis) was first promulgated in the 1960s.

There are lots of places he could have encountered the word long, long before your reference.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Pika...
2009-10-07, 07:57 AM
FYI, I first encountered the word 'Gaia' in the book Foundation's Edge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation%27s_Edge), published in 1982. The Gaia hypothesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis) was first promulgated in the 1960s.

There are lots of places he could have encountered the word long, long before your reference.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I know that.

I was asking more on the lines "What inspired you to give your daughter such a creative and unusual name, as the topic of this thread". Based on his earlier thread, I guessed he was a bit too old to have watched that show. :smallsmile:

Killer Angel
2009-10-07, 08:08 AM
FYI, I first encountered the word 'Gaia' in the book Foundation's Edge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation%27s_Edge), published in 1982.

That also. But must be said that I've read the book, but it never entered in the equation... (if possible, it was a negative factor; I'm sorry, but I like only the original trilogy :smalltongue:)

Fawkes
2009-10-07, 09:45 AM
Naming children after Sailor Moon? There's something wrong with you.

Pika...
2009-10-07, 10:10 AM
Naming children after Sailor Moon? There's something wrong with you.

What? Why? O.o

Dewey
2009-10-07, 11:00 PM
My advice is to exercise caution with unique or rare names. A kid can (and will) be teased mercilessly if he/she has a name that is seen as "weird". Also, if the spelling or pronunciation is even slightly ambiguous, people will constantly get it wrong. trust me on this. My first name is Eamon, and while it probably wouldn't get a second glance in Ireland, it has confused people for years. So just tread carefully when you choose a unique name.
That said, I like the sound of Serenity.

skywalker
2009-10-07, 11:50 PM
Plus, you just hit me with a nostalgia bomb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4e-A3k9Xi8).

I've decided to name my son "Wheeler." :smallbiggrin:

I loved that show. Stood in line for literal hours to have 30 seconds with the Cap.

Pika...
2009-10-07, 11:52 PM
I've decided to name my son "Wheeler." :smallbiggrin:

I loved that show. Stood in line for literal hours to have 30 seconds with the Cap.

Lucky you. :smallsmile:

Mewtarthio
2009-10-08, 12:27 AM
That also. But must be said that I've read the book, but it never entered in the equation... (if possible, it was a negative factor; I'm sorry, but I like only the original trilogy :smalltongue:)

I'm honestly not sure what he was thinking when he penned Foundation's Edge. And Foundation and Earth is just plain abominable. :smallyuk:

skywalker
2009-10-08, 12:45 AM
I'm honestly not sure what he was thinking when he penned Foundation's Edge. And Foundation and Earth is just plain abominable. :smallyuk:

He was thinking "Give me money[...] A lot of money[...] I want to be free!"

Yarram
2009-10-08, 05:44 AM
It couldn't be worse than being called Lolita. It sounds fine to me. The only thing I'd be worried about is it could be considered fairly precocious.

Hehe... I want to name a child Judas... In fact, I want to be called Judas, not as blasphemy, but because then you could be called a 'Judas' and go,
"Why yes, yes I am."

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-08, 06:13 AM
I personally think it's a great name, except for not having a good one-syllable short form.

For example, I intend to call my first daughter Temperance (Rance for short) and the second daughter Artemis (Arts for short).

The boys will be called Christian, Clark and Bruce.

Yarram
2009-10-08, 08:20 AM
For example, I intend to call my first daughter Temperance (Rance for short) and the second daughter Artemis (Arts for short).

Woah... That is precocious! She'd not only be called Temp or at the very least "Rancy" except in a really horrible nasal Aussie accent, but your second will be called "Arty-Farty" but the names even have special meanings...
It's too hard on people to brand them with a label that means something, because they'll either have to fight it or conform to it.

Dragor
2009-10-08, 08:26 AM
If I ever have a daughter, I plan to call her Sabriel. Whoever knows why, I love you. :smallbiggrin:

But on the topic, I really like the name Serenity. Actually, I'm quite a fan of the dubbed 'noun names'. It's even better if it's ironic. Here's hoping for a bouncy and very active daughter called Serenity. :smalltongue:

vollmond
2009-10-08, 08:36 AM
If I ever have a daughter, I plan to call her Sabriel. Whoever knows why, I love you. :smallbiggrin:

ha, I really need to go back and finish that... was too busy to do it justice last time I tried

Jarawara
2009-10-08, 08:45 AM
Well, considering that I *did* think Serenity was a good name for a daughter, and so I named Lucag's daughter that, and then she became the BBEG of my latest D&D campaign... well, let's just say I have mixed feelings about the idea.

(I can just see my players meeting your daughter, learning her name, and then reacting in horror and drawing weapons on her, vowing to venge the mistreatment of Harod and promising to bring her to justice, Tiatian style. That would be weird, to all participants involved.)

Dragor
2009-10-08, 09:06 AM
ha, I really need to go back and finish that... was too busy to do it justice last time I tried

One of my favourite fantasy books. Definitely worth the read. And its two sequels. :smallsmile:

I'll shut up now! I'm being irrelevant >_>

Dragonrider
2009-10-08, 09:10 AM
Woah... That is precocious! She'd not only be called Temp or at the very least "Rancy" except in a really horrible nasal Aussie accent, but your second will be called "Arty-Farty" but the names even have special meanings...

Main Entry: pre·co·cious
Pronunciation: \pri-ˈkō-shəs\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin praecoc-, praecox early ripening, precocious, from prae- + coquere to cook — more at cook
Date: 1650

1 : exceptionally early in development or occurrence <precocious puberty>
2 : exhibiting mature qualities at an unusually early age <a precocious child>

:smallconfused: So how are you using that word?

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-08, 09:11 AM
:smallconfused: So how are you using that word?

He might have meant "pretentious". Cut him some slack, maybe? :smalltongue:

Actually, I wanted to ask the same thing, but I already get enough flak from being obnoxiously annoying.

Dragonrider
2009-10-08, 09:13 AM
He might have meant "pretentious". Cut him some slack, maybe? :smalltongue:

Yeah, I should. :smalltongue: However, I'm starting the day on one hour of sleep, and at this point I have no idea what sounds nice and what doesn't.....

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-08, 10:25 AM
It's too hard on people to brand them with a label that means something, because they'll either have to fight it or conform to it.

By the way, you realize that almost all names have meanings, don't you?

skywalker
2009-10-08, 11:56 PM

Some guy named Bruce wrote a book about cats. How'd I do?

DarkLightDragon
2009-10-09, 12:38 AM

Holy crap! I actually understand a reference for once! And it's a good one! :smallsmile:

I'd say the second book in the series is my favourite. I should go back and read them all again sometime, though.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with Serenity as a name. I think it's pretty, and I like pretty names. It's also uncommon, but at the same time not dumb or so outlandish that it would guarantee ridicule. Bonus points there.

I also happen to dislike, or not be overly fond of, a lot of the really common names. You know, the ones where you'll always find at least three (and often more) in any given year group in any given school in any given place.

If I ever have a kid, which I don't intend to for various reasons, I wouldn't name them something like that. I'd go for something uncommon-but-not-inappropriate. Serenity is an example of something that fits, in my opinion.

UnChosenOne
2009-10-09, 12:57 AM
I don't think that you should name your daughter to Serenity or name your son to Adolf Josif.

Yarram
2009-10-09, 07:09 AM
By the way, you realize that almost all names have meanings, don't you?

Yes, but most names don't have obvious meanings that we're reminded of every day, or they have a hollow meaning like "princess" or "flower" that has no reference to their character whatsoever. Even still, I know my name means "Brave" but my name isn't actually Brave so it doesn't remind me all of the time. Even on that, bravery isn't really something you can rebel against anyway, though it could possibly be a chip on your shoulder if you weren't.

I kinda did mean precocious in context rather than pretentious (I made a conscious decision at the time of typing to use it), because I felt pretentious was too harsh a word to use. I meant that by naming the child something like Temperance isn't really pretentious because you aren't necessarily pretending that the child has some character trait they don't have, but you're forcing your child to live up to a standard (or to reject it and rebel consciously).
Precocious because of the premature standards forced upon them rather than because it's a complement to their personality.
EDIT: Forgot to say that I've always felt precociousness generally implies an arrogant maturity at an immature age rather than maturity for the sake of it.

I do like the name Temperance, but when thinking of the child's development, she has to deal with being called Temp or Rancy (Again, all I can imagine is someone saying this in a horrible Ausse nasal accent) for her whole life, as well as make a decision about whether or not to consciously live up to her name. It's too hard not to choose (or it certainly would be for me) with something like that leaning over my shoulder all the time.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-10, 02:29 PM
For example, I intend to call my first daughter Temperance (Rance for short)

I suspect that the best contraction(ish) of Temperance you could really hope for would be Peri/Perry, which actually sounds like a name itself (potentially even a girl's name) whereas whilst Rance could be a name, it would be overly masculine, Rancy would sound like the registrar couldn't spell either Nancy or Francine correctly, and Temp would just be BAD...

Grey Paladin
2009-10-10, 06:04 PM
I like the name and actually considered it for my future-daughter at one point, but take that with a grain of salt as I plan to name my daughter Hero (http://www.behindthename.com/name/hero-1) and son Mythos.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-10-11, 02:19 AM

True story. My mom encountered Orangejello and Lemonjello once. I believe she said they were twins.

I just named my son Luka. My Dad isn't too happy about it; he's afraid Luka will get teased because the -a ending will sound feminine to people.

Serenity sounds like a great name to me. We're thinking of naming our next daugher "Eowyn" but we think we'll stick such an unconventional name in the middle slot.

Fawkes
2009-10-11, 03:39 PM
I just named my son Luka. My Dad isn't too happy about it; he's afraid Luka will get teased because the -a ending will sound feminine to people.

Does he live on the second floor? I think I've seen him before.

Maelstrom
2009-10-11, 03:48 PM

Heh... +1 for music reference

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-10-11, 03:53 PM
Actually never heard that song, but heard of it. Glad that it will make people aware of the name, though from what I heard it was a sad song. Luka's not too sad these days as long as his belly's full of milk and not gas.

Fawkes
2009-10-11, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I'd avoided bringing up the connection. The song's about child abuse.

Tar Palantir
2009-10-12, 11:21 AM
Serenity seems like a decent name. I just don't quite like the sound of it, but that's just personal preference. Of course, considering that of the myriad names I have considered for my future offspring, the male names still in the running are Thanatos and Davros, your mileage may vary.

Fawkes
2009-10-12, 06:00 PM
Of course, considering that of the myriad names I have considered for my future offspring, the male names still in the running are Thanatos and Davros, your mileage may vary.

Those poor children. :smalleek:

Weimann
2009-10-12, 07:09 PM
I dunno...

I think about Sailor Moon every time I hear it. I suppose kids these days won't make that reference, but still...

EDIT: OH MY GOD DID I JUST SAY "KIDS THESE DAYS" ARGARGARG

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-10-12, 08:26 PM
I have no problem with Serenity. Seems like just a fine name to me.

My names atm are (keep in mind I'm 15, tons of time to go over these:smallwink:) Naomi for a girl, or Elise. For a guy, I've always like Damien.

Fawkes
2009-10-12, 08:56 PM
You don't meet a lot of Naomis these days. Not sure why; it's a pretty name.

skywalker
2009-10-12, 11:23 PM
True story. My mom encountered Orangejello and Lemonjello once. I believe she said they were twins.

I once heard of someone being thrown out of medical school for suggesting certain... almost vulgar words to undereducated mothers under the influence of multiple labor-pain drugs.

That's almost "Luke." My last name starts with an "A," and when I squeezed my letters together to fit them on paper in 4th grade, my teacher would always berate me: "Is your name 'Luka?! IS IT?!" Not so great memories...

Serenity sounds like a great name to me. We're thinking of naming our next daugher "Eowyn" but we think we'll stick such an unconventional name in the middle slot.

I never realized what a pretty name I thought "Eowyn" was. I was never really attracted to the woman in the movie, maybe that's why I never thought about it before...

I always thought it was "Uka," not "Luka." I now know I am mistaken. Also, I only thought that was about spousal abuse, not child abuse...

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-13, 04:55 AM
I have no problem with Serenity. Seems like just a fine name to me.

My names atm are (keep in mind I'm 15, tons of time to go over these:smallwink:) Naomi for a girl, or Elise. For a guy, I've always like Damien.Damien is a terrible name for a boy. I mean, it might once have been okay, but ever since the original Omen movies (which they've remade, so the name has fresh associations) I wouldn't have thought anyone would seriously consider that as a name.

potatocubed
2009-10-13, 05:08 AM
My rule: if you must give your child a wacky name, make sure it can be abbreviated to something normal if they don't like it.

Naming your children is one of the most important decisions you will ever have to make, and should not be treated as an exercise in creativity. :smallannoyed:

Quincunx
2009-10-13, 07:57 AM
Sometimes it surprises me that people haven't at least picked out one male and one female name before the child pops out. . .then I remember my middle name was taken from a current event.

Is there a sense of oddity from knowing your intended other-gender name or were you all sexed before birth?

@V: Ouch. I know male names resisted becoming female longer on that side of the Atlantic, but still. . .ouch.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-13, 07:59 AM
I remember my father telling me he almost got called Melanie Claire despite being a guy... Luckily, his mother saw sense at the last minute...

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-13, 12:44 PM
Sometimes it surprises me that people haven't at least picked out one male and one female name before the child pops out. . .then I remember my middle name was taken from a current event.

Is there a sense of oddity from knowing your intended other-gender name or were you all sexed before birth?When Alarra was pregnant, before she was far enough along for them to tell us whether he would be a boy or a girl, we tried to come up with names for both but we just never could agree on a girl's name. In fact, it was a bit of a challenge coming up with a boy's name too.

Jalor
2009-10-13, 06:06 PM
Is there a sense of oddity from knowing your intended other-gender name or were you all sexed before birth?
Relief, actually. Had I been a girl, I would've been stuck with "Dominique". That's 18 years of sounding like a particularly egregious Mary Sue before I would be able to get it changed to something less tacky.

...not only that, but my last name is one of those Italian ones that goes letter-apostrophe-name. It starts with a D as well, so I'd have to commit seppuku in the name of good taste.

Phae Nymna
2009-10-13, 07:49 PM
I've heard this "Serenity" debate before. You should just name her Stephen Colbert. NASA did it, why shouldn't you? :smallamused:

Pika...
2009-10-30, 12:14 AM
I've heard this "Serenity" debate before. You should just name her Stephen Colbert. NASA did it, why shouldn't you? :smallamused:

Wait, what?!

This is a common debate/issue? Are there that many fans from my generation who will be doing this? :smalleek:

And if so, would this not make the name a new "normal" name for that generation and upward?

skywalker
2009-10-30, 12:17 AM
Why not pick something like Zoe, or Kaylee, or River? Those are all good, related girl names. I know, you didn't mean the Firefly Serenity, but I lilke that show and I like those names and I'm tired. :smallsmile: