PDA

View Full Version : ...and soon we can blow up Alderaan. (SCIENCE!)

13_CBS
2009-10-05, 11:44 PM
Boeing unveils new, plane-mounted Advanced Tactical Laser (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfmEUqmgsK4&feature=player_embedded), bane of all car engine hoods.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-05, 11:50 PM
...I, for one, welcome our new Imperial overlords. I'm just disappointed the laser doesn't come in a Visible Orange Beam With Neon-Green Outline flavor.

Mando Knight
2009-10-06, 12:16 AM
...I, for one, welcome our new Imperial overlords. I'm just disappointed the laser doesn't come in a Visible Orange Beam With Neon-Green Outline flavor.

Sadly, Lucas didn't realize that lasers don't work that way when he kept the idea of oversized death rays alive. ('course, neither did Gene Roddenberry...) :smallsigh:

Icewalker
2009-10-06, 12:36 AM
Looks like we're still a good ways off, that just burnt up the top. That thing is still several steps away from death ray.

But we'll get there! :smallbiggrin:

Pyrian
2009-10-06, 12:56 AM
It reportedly burned through the engine. So, yes, it'll kill you. I'm more impressed that they hit a ~1' square target from an airplane in flight. I wonder what the total range was?

MCerberus
2009-10-06, 12:58 AM
I thought this tech was primarily designed as an airborne missile killer. Who knew that this was the aggressive second phase of cash for clunkers?

Lord Herman
2009-10-06, 02:11 AM
This has potential, but a laser this size will never blow up a planet. They will need to make it bigger.

_Zoot_
2009-10-06, 07:49 AM
This has potential, but a laser this size will never blow up a planet. They will need to make it bigger.

What if they were to duct tape like a whole bunch of them together?

GoC
2009-10-06, 08:42 AM
I feel confident in predicting that our 15km/s slugs of copper will continue to dominate the battle-field...

Yora
2009-10-06, 08:50 AM
What weapon uses copper projectiles?

Sadly, Lucas didn't realize that lasers don't work that way when he kept the idea of oversized death rays alive. ('course, neither did Gene Roddenberry...) :smallsigh:
Star Wars is more like plasma thrower. And I think such a device would actually look similar to the movies.

Dancing_Zephyr
2009-10-06, 08:56 AM
US Navy railgun?

pendell
2009-10-06, 09:05 AM
Just wanted to point out that This article has already been posted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127322) by yours truly. And ignored.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Trog
2009-10-06, 09:22 AM
It reportedly burned through the engine.
Oooo! Really?! That's much cooler then. And here I thought it was just starting the hood on fire. Okay that's much more impressive. I wonder how long before they take that same technology and get it down to, say, rifle size? Really, it only needs to be strong enough to get through modern body armor and flesh and bone vs. a whole engine block so that might aid in its miniaturization. Of course the down side will likely be the energy needed to power such a device. *Waits some more for the blaster pistol that sci-fi promised us so long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away. :smalltongue: *

GoC
2009-10-06, 01:49 PM
What weapon uses copper projectiles?

HEAT rounds.:smallbiggrin:

Lappy9000
2009-10-06, 08:53 PM
What if they were to duct tape like a whole bunch of them together?Then you get this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60864).

Moff Chumley
2009-10-06, 09:00 PM
What if they were to duct tape like a whole bunch of them together?

THIS. :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2009-10-06, 09:04 PM
Oh yeah, wow, it looked like it just burned the hood. Couldn't tell that it had gone through!

Wow, I guess we have hit death ray. Well played, military. Not sure this tops the flesh-eating chainsaw wielding robot which DARPA is building though.