PDA

View Full Version : Origami Throwing Knives

Were-Sandwich
2006-07-17, 03:08 PM
I have long been a fan of paper shuriken made to this pattern (http://www.folds.net/tutorial/models/shu_2_piece/shu_2_piece_diagrams.html).

However, as DEMONhunter can attest, I can't throw them with any kind of accracy. I can however thow pencils and other knife shaped objects quite accurately.
I am also a fan of origami and being able to make stuff anytime, anywhere. So I was wondering if anyone here knows or can devise, a way of making throwable origami throing knives.

Google has failed me, so I turn to you guys.

Midnight Son
2006-07-17, 03:17 PM
Try folding the paper around a piece of shaped, sharpened steel. That should help it fly true. ;)

The point here is that paper is not a heavy or dense enough object to be able to hold a trajectory with any accuracy. It's not the fault of the design or the user, but the material.

Were-Sandwich
2006-07-17, 03:19 PM
Yeah, but it'd be cool if I could make paper throwing knives. Supply teachers would love me....(!)

Midnight Son
2006-07-17, 03:27 PM
I recall making some paper ornaments for Christmas one year by making them out of construction paper and dipping them in wax. Cant make any promises, but it might help.

Were-Sandwich
2006-07-17, 03:29 PM
Good idea, but I still need to make the thing in the first place. My attempts have all failed miserably. I've tried making half a shuriken, as above, folding it as I would to attack the two together, then palm-throwing it, to some limited, if unaccurate, success.

Midnight Son
2006-07-17, 03:34 PM
Again, I don't think your problem is with design, but with weight and density. The wax would increase that, though I don't know if it'll be enough to help. You also wouldn't be able to make one quickly, but would have to keep an arsenal in a pack or some such. Can't help you with any new designs though. Good luck.

Were-Sandwich
2006-07-17, 03:40 PM
I was thinking of making something using the frog base, since thats kinda pointy, then using folds to increase the density at one end. However, I can't seem to find any paper at the moment 'cause my little sister coloured it all away.

Brickwall
2006-07-17, 03:55 PM
You need some kind of heavy thing in it, preferably on a tip to give it proper spin. A tiny paper clip will do nicely.

Note: You'd bet better off making paper airplanes. Paper shuriken will never pierce skin, so paper planes would be just as effective. The only advantage to these things is rapid fire after you've made them.

Were-Sandwich
2006-07-17, 03:57 PM
I could make planes. But I'd rather make knives. Its got more....style.

Daishi
2006-07-17, 06:53 PM
I am the KING of paper airplanes.

...Was I intruding? ;D ::)

Vaynor
2006-07-17, 06:58 PM
I don't know much about shuriken, but I made a d3 out of origami once. :O

Brickwall
2006-07-17, 07:47 PM
I could make planes. But I'd rather make knives. Its got more....style.

Okay, then. Tiny paper clips. Find colored ones for added flair. Honestly, Staples is your friend.

Were-Sandwich
2006-07-18, 02:07 PM
I still can't find any paper. Or wax, for that matter. I'll post my results when I can find some materials to work with.

TheThan
2006-07-18, 03:23 PM
Funny enough I used to make those all the time back when i was a kid. In fact I was quite good with them too.

Were-Sandwich
2006-07-19, 11:46 AM
^Knives or shuriken, 'cause if it was the former, how did you make them?

I guess skill all comes down to the individual. I throw things through the vertical plane better than the horizontal.

Dispozition
2006-07-22, 04:41 AM
I made one of the shurikans during the week. It fly's fairly well but I find that it fly far better with a normal sized paper clip on each point. The things are awesome to throw around. I need to make some more though.

xxkid123
2008-12-25, 07:39 PM
this folows the same shape of ur kind, but this is thicker and smaller
http://www.instructables.com/id/Best-Mini-Paper-4-Point-Shurikan/#step0

(being thicker its more dense)

spent 20mins making an acount for this so dont fail me lol

SurlySeraph
2008-12-25, 09:03 PM
A friend of mine can throw those pretty well. You just have to flick your wrist and end the throw pointing your hand at the target.

Of course, making them out of heavier paper and folding the ends under to reduce air resistance helps.

DrizztFan24
2008-12-26, 10:36 AM
Thread undead have returned!:smalleek: xxkid123 check the last post date before you make a reply. :smallwink:

Castaras
2008-12-27, 05:07 PM
That OP "Origami" shuriken recipe ain't real origami. Uses rectangles instead of squares. True Origami is a single square per model. No 2+ piece models, no rectangles or whatever. :smallwink:

Thiel
2008-12-27, 05:56 PM
That OP "Origami" shuriken recipe ain't real origami. Uses rectangles instead of squares. True Origami is a single square per model. No 2+ piece models, no rectangles or whatever. :smallwink:

That's why there's a link to a purist version at the end.