PDA

View Full Version : World Series Predictions?

NYYanks6083
2009-10-07, 12:41 AM
With a unbelievable 12th inning win over the Tigers that easily could have been right out of a movie, the Twins have fought their way into the playoffs.

So it's official:

Yankees vs. Twins
Angels vs. Red Sox

Phillies vs. Rockies
Cardinals vs. Dodgers

Predictions anyone??(I'll give ya one guess who I'm pulling for :smallbiggrin: although getting past the ALSC will admittedly be tough)

Roukon
2009-10-07, 10:33 AM
I want to say Twins all the way, but I'm betting that they are knocked out in the fourth game of the Twins-Yankees series. For the Series itself, I'm thinking Yankees and Rockies. Don't know anything about the NL records, so I have nothing to back that up with. However, I hope I'm wrong and that the Twins get the 1987 and 1991 magic back. Be nice to have a third championship in my lifetime.

Roukon

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-07, 10:34 AM
I've always wondered something. Why is it called World Series if it's limited to one tiny country?

And how come I keep thinking it will be something international every time?

Telonius
2009-10-07, 12:45 PM
I've always wondered something. Why is it called World Series if it's limited to one tiny country?

Blue Jays fans might have something to say about that. :smallbiggrin:

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-07, 02:24 PM
So it's one tiny country plus a fairly larger country's one tiny city (or whatever). What do you want from me? It's not like it includes important countries (like my own). :smalltongue:

13_CBS
2009-10-07, 02:39 PM
I must root for the Phillies, lest the locals tear me apart limb from limb. :smalleek:

*Weakly*: Go Phillies...?

BritishBill
2009-10-07, 02:53 PM
Phillies all the way!

Erloas
2009-10-07, 02:53 PM

Well the USA is hardly a tiny country. In fact most of our states are larger then a lot of other countries out there and we have 50 of them. Sure there are a few other countries about the same size (some bigger, some smaller), its not an insignificant amount of the landmass.

Frankly though, I wish the rest of the world could take away the "World Series" then I wouldn't have to hear about it for more then a day like with the soccer world finals.

My prediction of the world series is that the first few games will be meaningless, by the 4th game it is either 1-2 more meaningless games or 1-2 games that are almost a forgone conclusion. With the end result being, if the teams are evenly matched there *might* be 1-2 meaningful games out of 30 hours of otherwise wasted time.

The best part of the World Series is that once it is over it is the longest possible time before more baseball.
I don't mind the game so much, but as a spectator sport its bad and made even worse by their insistence on playing so many games even the players have a hard time caring about each one.

NYYanks6083
2009-10-07, 03:34 PM
I want to say Twins all the way, but I'm betting that they are knocked out in the fourth game of the Twins-Yankees series. For the Series itself, I'm thinking Yankees and Rockies. Don't know anything about the NL records, so I have nothing to back that up with. However, I hope I'm wrong and that the Twins get the 1987 and 1991 magic back. Be nice to have a third championship in my lifetime.

Roukon

Well Mauer is a absolute beast, I'll give you that, although without Morneau to back him up, he might not get anything decent to hit. Also, I don't think their pitching is gonna hold up though (I certainly hope it doesn't :smalltongue:)

So it's one tiny country plus a fairly larger country's one tiny city (or whatever). What do you want from me? It's not like it includes important countries (like my own).

what a fantastically ethnocentric statement you've made :smalltongue:

Roukon
2009-10-07, 04:33 PM
Well Mauer is a absolute beast, I'll give you that, although without Morneau to back him up, he might not get anything decent to hit. Also, I don't think their pitching is gonna hold up though (I certainly hope it doesn't :smalltongue:)

Yeah, but unfortunetly, one of the things that all the Minnesota teams lack is consistency. In American-style football, we usually squeak into the playoffs where we usually get kicked out in the first or second round. If I remember correctly, this is the third year where the Twins were very close to getting into the post-season, but this year we actually did. The Timberwolves are nothing to really write about, usually being an average team. And, as for hockey, the North Stars decided they got tired of the cold (and losing a lot) and went to Texas and the Wild are still relatively young as a team. In this area, you get used to having your teams doing well for a while and then tanking.

I'm impressed that the Vikings are 4-0, and I don't expect that streak to last very long.

Roukon

Chunklets
2009-10-07, 04:39 PM
I actually predicted a Dodgers-Yankees WS before the season started, and am absolutely stunned to see that both of them actually made the playoffs (my prediction for last season, Mets-Tigers, did not work out so well). Anyway, I'm sticking with that prediction - it's going to be Brooklyn vs. The Bronx.

NYYanks6083
2009-10-07, 10:29 PM
I actually predicted a Dodgers-Yankees WS before the season started, and am absolutely stunned to see that both of them actually made the playoffs (my prediction for last season, Mets-Tigers, did not work out so well). Anyway, I'm sticking with that prediction - it's going to be Brooklyn vs. The Bronx.

Honestly, I really hope that doesn't happen, only b/c I would be extremely conflicted on who too root for:smalleek:

I loved Joe Torre as our GM, and I think Steinbrenner is a (insert you favorite board restricted obscenity) for what he did to him, but at the same time, that's not the fault of the players, and Idk if I can bring myself to root against the yankees:smallredface::smalltongue:

toasty
2009-10-07, 11:06 PM
I say the Phillies will win everything.

Not because I actually watch the sport; but my mom and her family is from South Jersey: anyone who doesn't watch the phillies are evil heretics and will die a slow, painful death. :smallbiggrin:

SensFan
2009-10-07, 11:29 PM
Yanks over Twins in 3.
Sox over Angels in 4.
Cards over Dodgers in 5.
Phillies over Rockies in 4.

Sox over Yanks in 6.
Cards over Phillies in 7.

Sox over Cards in 6.

---

My predictions. Note I don't know what happened today.

skywalker
2009-10-07, 11:45 PM

Traditionally, Americans believe their sports teams to be the best in the world, and therefore, the winner between the two best teams in America is the "world champion." It's not necessarily always true (especially lately) but back when the World Series was invented, there simply were no other baseball teams who could hold up. So the best team in the States was the best team in the world. Major sports champions are still called "world champions" of their respective sports, with the exception of soccer (clearly not the best players in the world) and maybe hockey, I'm not sure about that. (the Stanley Cup is cooler than being "world champion" anyway...)

However, I hope I'm wrong and that the Twins get the 1987 and 1991 magic back.

'91 magic, huh? Is that what model HVAC system the Metrodome has? :smalltongue:

Quincunx
2009-10-09, 12:28 PM
I say the Phillies will win everything.

Not because I actually watch the sport; but my mom and her family is from South Jersey: anyone who doesn't watch the phillies are evil heretics and will die a slow, painful death. :smallbiggrin:

My family are South Jerseyans transplanted to St. Louis. I ain't saying squat until this is all over.

KilltheToy
2009-10-09, 01:11 PM
What will most likely happen: Yankees/Red Sox vs. Phillies/Cardinals.

What I want to happen: Rockies vs. Angels.

Hey, a man can dream, can't he :smalltongue:?

NYYanks6083
2009-10-09, 06:06 PM
Cards r down 2-0, be a tough (though certainly possible) comeback.

The Rockies did have that fairy tale run to the World Series a few years ago, though unfortunately it was right into the waiting jaws of a certain large red dragon :smallfrown: (hey, if it makes ya feel better I was pulling for you guys :smallredface:)

Roukon
2009-10-10, 09:38 AM
I'm glad to see that so far, my prediction is coming true. The Twins will have a good homecoming surge, but the game after that in the Metrodome will probably go to the Yankees. I can hope that the Twins will have a good fight again and this time come out on top, however.

Thrawn183
2009-10-10, 06:05 PM
Aliens descend and delete any mention of baseball from history and our consciousnesses.

Ok, so maybe not the most likely of outcomes, but it would be nice.

NYYanks6083
2009-10-11, 09:45 PM
So some updates ,

Twins are out (sorry Roukon:smalltongue:)

Bo Sox are out :smallbiggrin:

Cards are out.

skywalker
2009-10-11, 11:40 PM
So some updates ,

Cards are out.

Bad playoffs for underdogs so far...

Roukon
2009-10-12, 01:55 AM
So some updates ,

Cards are out.

Eh, I'm not concerned. I knew we wouldn't do well. I just hoped it wasn't a sweep. Something for Gardy to work on next year.

Roukon

toasty
2009-10-12, 02:40 AM
The phillies won the game tonight, that makes them the score 2-1, yes?

My mom is completely frustrated. ESPN said they'd show the game, but the cable was out. Then at the top of the 8th the cable came back, but at the bottom of the 9th ESPN changed to some Tennis Tournament. In short, she got to watch about 20 minutes of the game. At least they have play-by-play on the Internet...