PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Character Concepts

Amador
2009-10-07, 09:55 PM
Anybody have a character idea that just clicked with them, or one that seems so incredibly awesome but just hasn't been used (or just flat out crazy that no sane DM would allow)? Post 'em here.

Personally, my favorite character idea that I'm toying with now is an awakened half-dragon gelatinous ooze rogue. Sneak attack with acid and paralyzes? Win. Add in the breath weapon, flight, and bonus to hide? Epic Win.

sonofzeal
2009-10-07, 09:57 PM
Yeah, but you've got LA out the wing-wang. I've always been more about the Celesial Gelatinous Cube Monks. Flurry of Pseudopods ftw!

Rixx
2009-10-07, 10:11 PM
Idiotic sorcerer who thinks he's a fighter.

Gorgondantess
2009-10-07, 10:13 PM
Half-troll pixie or entropic astral deva. Flavor to taste.

ondonaflash
2009-10-07, 10:24 PM
It is said by some that there is nothing scarier on the planet than a good man. To understand why, one has to understand what a good man is, and what a good man is not.

A Good man is...
Reliable, Helpful, Responsible, Friendly, Polite, Intelligent, Disciplined, Willing to protect the innocent, Willing to sacrifice anything he has to protect those who cannot protect themselves, Committed to an Ideal Greater than Himself, and Willing to Do What is Necessary to Protect the Common Good.

A Good man is not necessarily...
Naive, Honest, Stupid, or Merciful

Perhaps that is why everyone from Guard Captains to Kings are wary when Gabriel Swift is in their city. Perhaps that is why those who stand as a threat to those innocents refer to Gabriel Swift as the "Apologetic Assassin", and the "Tear-Stained Terror". Perhaps that is why Gabriel Swift travels alone, without companions, and keeps no family, because someday the time might come when he is forced to choose between the life of a loved one, and the lives of innocents, and Gabriel Swift is a Good Man.

Gabriel Swift is a wandering mercenary, an itinerant swordsman. He travels throughout the land, selling his sword to the right causes (Though he has been known to work pro-bono), and clearing out dens of monsters that are a threat to societies. Of course Gabriel Swift does not discriminate based on skin color, hair length, or tooth size, thus those monsters that appear altogether too... human have fallen to his blade as well.

Swift is a talented swordsman, he is a Master of the Saber, and is well known for his speed. He wears only the lightest armor, refusing to compromise his speed, and wields a finely crafted Adamantine Saber, known only as "My Brother's Sword". He has a legendary talent for being nigh on unkillable, with some legends stating that he has been stabbed by daggers, shot by arrows, burned by flame, and poisoned, and still just stood right back up to keep on fighting. It is said that he can't be knocked over when there are innocents to protect, and so long as one voice still cries out for help he will never grow tired.

Of course, this still doesn't explain why so many people are afraid of him, but it could have something to do with how he kills. It is said that when he kills a man, he does not smile with satisfaction, or in pride in his skills. He does not congratulate himself on a job well done, slaying those who need slaying. It is said that as he marches implacably towards those poor monsters who fall by his hand, his face only contains a look of pity, and a hint of sorrow.

Or Perhaps, just perhaps, maybe it is because Gabriel Swift never loses control. He never acts in anger, or in passion, or in the heat of the moment. Maybe its because when he kills someone, it is always a calmly and rationally premeditated act.

After all, Gabriel Swift is a Good Man.

Nai_Calus
2009-10-07, 10:29 PM
"THE GREAT LORD NERCOBLABBLE DOES NOT APPROVE OF THIS THREAD. IT IS BLATANTLY OBVIOUS THAT THE GREAT LORD NERCOBLABBLE IS THE BEST AND THAT EVERYONE IN EXISTANCE LOVES THE GREAT LORD NERCOBLABBLE.

THE GODS ARE AFRAID OF THE GREAT LORD NERCOBLABBLE BECAUSE LORD NERCOBLABBLE DOES NOT NEED GODS. LORD NERCOBLABBLE IS HIS OWN GOD. LORD NERCOBLABBLE IS THE MULTIVERSE'S GREATEST WARLOCK, AND SO AWESOME IS HIS MIGHT THAT THE GREAT LORD NERCOBLABBLE GRANTS HIMSELF POWER. CLEARLY THE GREAT LORD NERCOBLABBLE IS THE BEST.

I mean, well, you get the idea. Sorry about the outburst, force of habit you know."

(Lord Nercoblabble being a gnome feypact Warlock who is perfectly sane and calm, but acts like he's barking mad to try to keep people from getting too close to him because he doesn't know who or what his pact is with or what they want from him as he doesn't remember making it, so he's afraid it's with something horrible who has some kind of awful terms. It isn't, and they don't, but he doesn't know that. :smallamused: )

ShadowFighter15
2009-10-07, 10:34 PM
Been wanting to try out a half-fiend paladin just for the weird looks he'd get from NPCs who recognise the symbol of Pelor/Tyr/other good deity on his armour.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-07, 10:46 PM
Scythe wielding, hooded cloak wearing, undead hunter, from a Cult named, 'Death's Children'
And TALK LIKE THIS.
I also want to play a neutral good necromancer.
Yeah, I am a bit gothic, and I read Discworld.

Kylarra
2009-10-07, 10:52 PM
Been wanting to try out a half-fiend paladin just for the weird looks he'd get from NPCs who recognise the symbol of Pelor/Tyr/other good deity on his armour.
Reminds me of the Paladin/Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple I had on a PW server in NWN.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-07, 10:53 PM
As you can tell by my title and avatar, I like playing the paladin archetype to the hilt, but at the same time trying to avoid the pitfalls that many people fall into when playing paladins.

The fellows I play with say that my last character, Sir Georg Redcrosse, was the best paladin they'd ever seen.

Tavar
2009-10-07, 11:02 PM
I have one. He's a Warlock/Cleric, going into Eldritch Disicple. He's a devotee of the Ocean(custom campaign god, CN), with a very Fey and mystical slant to his powers. For instance, He has the innvocation Otherworldly Whispers, which he flavors as understanding the oceans waves breaking. I had alot of fun writing his backstory, unfortunately I wasn't picked for the game :smallsigh:.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-07, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I like the paladin concept also. Right now, I am playing a falchion wielding, Arabic Fantasy Culture Counterpart, paladin, and it is indeed awesome.

Zaydos
2009-10-07, 11:09 PM
Not very original, but I always liked the idea of a fighter who wanted to be a paladin but wasn't allowed in. Lawful good (not lawful awful, or stupid, but lawful good) and religious. I haven't statted out such a character since 3.0 but probably would give him a devotion feat (protection I think) and probably some exalted feats or other feats giving him a divine flavor. Maybe after enough levels his god would smile favorably on him and he could become a pious templar. Not game mechanically optimized but should be fun.

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-07, 11:12 PM
That DOES sound like fun. Wish I could try the idea out, but I'm too busy playing a horribly burn-scarred doctor who was catapaulted into the future and is now the last living human and on his way to becoming a cyborg god!

Dracomorph
2009-10-07, 11:37 PM
My favorite is actually my current character, a gnome sorcerer.

See, Giblin Spoontracker, consummate ladies' man and incredibly refined gentleman, grew up on a combination dairy/vineyard. He speaks with a French accent, and is the heir designate to the vineyard he grew up on as well as his Granda's mafia, which acts as the closest thing to a local government. He's adventuring mostly because he doesn't feel ready to accept the responsibility of running a small town, and because he was struck with a bad case of wanderlust. This, while awesome, is not what makes him my favorite character ever.

That would be the fact that he doesn't know he's a sorcerer. His spells are mostly similar to the natural gnome spell-like abilities, and those that aren't are either subtly flavored (detect magic is just a gut feeling, rather than glowing auras, etc.) or illusions that he believes are just a natural extension of his gnomish talents. He thinks that he's just extra gnomish and extremely lucky with freak occurrences, and he doesn't so much 'wield' his weapons as he does 'have them in the right place for the other guy to run into.' And he doesn't understand that this doesn't happen for other people.

Rules-wise, the game is Pathfinder and he's got the Fated bloodline.

So much fun to play!

EDIT: Somehow I missed the last part of the OP, about things your DM wouldn't sanely allow. Mea culpa.

Jokasti
2009-10-07, 11:48 PM
Human monk who surgically replaced his heart with that of the Tarrasque.
Lots of bonuses.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-07, 11:53 PM
Human monk who surgically replaced his heart with that of the Tarrasque.
Lots of bonuses.
Wow, that puts rather a literal spin on 'he's all heart'.
To quote the question many ask after reading bad, bad, fanfiction, 'Umm. . .how does it fit?':smalleek:

Jokasti
2009-10-07, 11:57 PM
Wow, that puts rather a literal spin on 'he's all heart'.
To quote the question many ask after reading bad, bad, fanfiction, 'Umm. . .how does it fit?':smalleek:
Perfectly
Naw, it was magically reduced, and I just ate it.
My monk came from a tribe of barbarians that believed if you could eat the heart of your enemies, you would gain his powers.
They were right.

Arundel
2009-10-08, 12:00 AM
Lets see, right now I have a few going that I'm enjoying.

I have a female paladin of Zodal (greyhawk deity) who is tottering between a fall from paladin or the vow of peace path.

I have a dragonmarked gnome sorc hunted down his father across ebberon to make him pay for abandoning him and his mother.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-08, 12:03 AM
Perfectly
My monk came from a tribe of barbarians that believed if you could eat the heart of your enemies, you would gain his powers.
They were right.
You have a nice DM. I might have ruled the trauma of eating it would have caused the spell to fail, and you would have been like Peter Griffon just after Y2K.

Jokasti
2009-10-08, 12:05 AM
You have a nice DM. I might have ruled the trauma of eating it would have caused the spell to fail, and you would have been like Peter Griffon just after Y2K.
Well, I rolled 3 natural 20's in a row.
1 for finding the Tarrasque heart (in an antiques store)
1 for knowledge(Barbaric customs)
1 for Eating
And in our campaign, 3 nat20s in a row is the equivalent of a wish spell, but it has to make sense.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-08, 12:16 AM
Well, I rolled 3 natural 20's in a row.
1 for finding the Tarrasque heart (in an antiques store)
1 for knowledge(Barbaric customs)
1 for Eating
And in our campaign, 3 nat20s in a row is the equivalent of a wish spell, but it has to make sense.
You have the Dice Lords favour, how dare I countencense such power?

Jokasti
2009-10-08, 12:18 AM
You have the Dice Lords favour, how dare I countencense such power?

You have been forewarned:
The Random Number God (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RandomNumberGod)

strawberryman
2009-10-08, 12:21 AM
Half-Fey Paladin of Freedom who was a superhero of sorts in Sharn. The city folk called him the Fairy Knight. And just to throw people even more for a loop, he worshiped The Traveler.

Mind Pretzels ahoy.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-08, 12:29 AM
You have been forewarned:
The Random Number God (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RandomNumberGod)
HAH! Your cunning trap has no hold on me, for I, indeed I, am on a Narbonic (http://www.webcomicsnation.com/shaenongarrity/narbonic_plus/series.php?view=archive&chapter=14156)archive binge and no force of web or wikia can tear me from it!

Plus, I already read that page.

Zaydos
2009-10-08, 12:32 AM
I once played a 3.0 core halfling sorcerer. He had a raven familiar and was descended from a brass dragon so he had spells to mimic some of its abilities (cause fear, burning hands, sleep; he was that low level). It was a fun character/concept, although now it's not much since they made splatbooks just for it. It was fun, though, and once he took out a half-orc warrior (or fighter? had more than 7 or 8 hp that's all I remember) with throwing daggers after he couldn't get it to leave him alone and even cause fear didn't do much except make it run off and then somehow find him again the round the duration ended.

oxinabox
2009-10-08, 12:39 AM
aesh-naen Illuminum archivist, with knowledge devotion.
and intiutive stike, 3 lvls of swashbulkler for the upped BaB and insight fulie stike.

So I roll 2 knowledge checks for each monmster types.
Add there bonuses.

My Tohit is determined by my Wisdom,
may damage bonused with my Int,
and both bonused with my knowledgge checks

Would work much better in gestalt, wehre i could have full archievist, then swashbuclker and factoum on the other side.
and Kungfu Genius Monk(i think this violates RAI to stack but), and Swashbulker 2., (add both my int and my wis to AC, when not wearing armour) - if yopur have to be heavily depenent on 2 stats (like archivist is for casting) then you might as well add those to everything.

Trodon
2009-10-08, 12:54 AM
My favorite character that I have made is one that I am hopefully going to use here he is (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=158710) and here is his class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112349).

JonestheSpy
2009-10-08, 01:10 AM
Actually my fave character concept is from a game that's just starting. I'm DMing, and the setting is pretty dern unconventional, and I told the players they can be anything they want as long as they can pass for human with the old "big overcoat, scarf, and floppy hat" routine.

So two of my players immediatly decide they're going to play animanted suits of clothing - they ARE the coat, scarf and hat.

They work for a mysterious organization known only as the Bureau.

ondonaflash
2009-10-08, 03:32 AM
Perfectly
They were right.

I designed an adventure where eating the heart of a creature would cause you to become possessed by the soul of that creature and forced to act on its behalf.

JellyPooga
2009-10-08, 03:45 AM
Spectre: He's a...

*takes deep breath*

...Chameleonic Stony Chaond Catfolk Shadow Walker Ghast.

Yes, his LA is prohibitivly high (+9 LA and 4 RHD), but the concept of playing a magically engineered freak is just too good to pass up! Incidentally, my avatar is this character (before his Ghast-hood). Aside from the Chaond bit, it's all legal RAW...the only problem comes when adding Chaond as a template. The change to Outsider means that he no longer qualifies for Chameleonic, Shadow Walker or Ghast...if anyone has a suggestion on how to work around this, I'm all ears!

Crafty Cultist
2009-10-08, 04:04 AM
a mercenary who seems to be working for whatever villian the heroes are up against with a knack for escaping to fight another day, eventually being quite casual with the heroes.

however the mercenary only worked for the villains to gain things needed for his own evil plan. working for a influential person playing on the party's expectations, setting them up to be responsible for the death of an important pillar of the community then becoming the campains villain.

If your going to be a villain pc, do it with style:smallamused:

Kulture
2009-10-28, 02:37 PM
A human spellthief/Assassin with the mentality of an FPS gamer (to the extent of teabagging corpses.)
When I play this character I plan for him to shout "HAX!" whenever he steals a spell or uses the ring of spell battle.
So you end up with an impetuous maniac assassin with the ability to steal everything including everyone elses powers, with a competition issue and the same god complex sported by anyone who's ever topped a score board (he also keeps count of his kills using a magical counting abacus, and instead of taking dogtags he takes souls with thinaun knives).
Imagine seeing a flawless death attack kill (a feat in itself, no pun intended) only to break into a little victory dance.

Well I think it'd be funny...

Current character is a necropolitan Lesser Aasimar dread necromancer.
He was cast out of his village at a young age because he was born with a horrifically distended skeleton (he's over 6', while normal aasimar are only 4'6-ish) in addition to being a necromantic savant.
He ends up in a shallow rip off of the shalebridge cradle until it's raised by prisoner #1, whom is a cultist of Kyuss.
Cue a violent extravaganza, in which he becomes undead, emulates his Solar ancestors with honking great pair of fiendish feathered wings and plenty of disguise skill.

Now he travels the world, in search of those who left his few friends to burn in shalebridge, and to take the fight to the gods who damned him at his birth.
All the while emulating a Solar.
That's why he's the king of mind-screw.

bosssmiley
2009-10-28, 03:23 PM
Nice-but-naive gawping outsider. It gives me an excuse for player/PC ignorance in a new campaign, and draws other characters into RP as they explain the situation/customs/locale to mine. Class doesn't matter; anyone can be a fish out of water far enough from home.

Fastmover
2009-10-28, 04:03 PM
It is said by some that there is nothing scarier on the planet than a good man. To understand why, one has to understand what a good man is, and what a good man is not.

A Good man is...
Reliable, Helpful, Responsible, Friendly, Polite, Intelligent, Disciplined, Willing to protect the innocent, Willing to sacrifice anything he has to protect those who cannot protect themselves, Committed to an Ideal Greater than Himself, and Willing to Do What is Necessary to Protect the Common Good.

A Good man is not necessarily...
Naive, Honest, Stupid, or Merciful

Perhaps that is why everyone from Guard Captains to Kings are wary when Gabriel Swift is in their city. Perhaps that is why those who stand as a threat to those innocents refer to Gabriel Swift as the "Apologetic Assassin", and the "Tear-Stained Terror". Perhaps that is why Gabriel Swift travels alone, without companions, and keeps no family, because someday the time might come when he is forced to choose between the life of a loved one, and the lives of innocents, and Gabriel Swift is a Good Man.

Gabriel Swift is a wandering mercenary, an itinerant swordsman. He travels throughout the land, selling his sword to the right causes (Though he has been known to work pro-bono), and clearing out dens of monsters that are a threat to societies. Of course Gabriel Swift does not discriminate based on skin color, hair length, or tooth size, thus those monsters that appear altogether too... human have fallen to his blade as well.

Swift is a talented swordsman, he is a Master of the Saber, and is well known for his speed. He wears only the lightest armor, refusing to compromise his speed, and wields a finely crafted Adamantine Saber, known only as "My Brother's Sword". He has a legendary talent for being nigh on unkillable, with some legends stating that he has been stabbed by daggers, shot by arrows, burned by flame, and poisoned, and still just stood right back up to keep on fighting. It is said that he can't be knocked over when there are innocents to protect, and so long as one voice still cries out for help he will never grow tired.

Of course, this still doesn't explain why so many people are afraid of him, but it could have something to do with how he kills. It is said that when he kills a man, he does not smile with satisfaction, or in pride in his skills. He does not congratulate himself on a job well done, slaying those who need slaying. It is said that as he marches implacably towards those poor monsters who fall by his hand, his face only contains a look of pity, and a hint of sorrow.

Or Perhaps, just perhaps, maybe it is because Gabriel Swift never loses control. He never acts in anger, or in passion, or in the heat of the moment. Maybe its because when he kills someone, it is always a calmly and rationally premeditated act.

After all, Gabriel Swift is a Good Man.
Dang it... the awesome is spilling over onto the floor. I'm not wipeing that up you know...

Achilles
2009-10-28, 07:05 PM
Well, I'm quite fond of my current character. He is a dwarven rogue named Shimmerbeard.

In this homebrewed campaign, I worked with the DM to create a spy and assassin sect in dwarven society. They are a mostly secret organization that works in the shadows between clans. They spy, use diplomacy or assassinate to achieve their clans goals. It's speculated that they are in direct service to the High King and that dwarven society would literally fall apart without it... But alas, this is rumor, who knows its truth.

"How does this connect to your character?" you may ask. Shimmerbeard was inducted into this sect at a fairly young age. After working as a ground level guy for many years, he grew tired of the hard work and drudgery of dwarven life. Shimmerbeard took his famous bayoneted crossbow and kukris and left to adventure. He went to the desert and started doing odd jobs, until odd opportunities with an adventuring party arose.

Shimmerbeard is an odd fellow. He is lazy, but lucky. He disagrees with many dwarves, but still is so obviously dwarven, from his everlasting grudges to his love of alcohol and smoking to his neatly groomed beard, which has a golden chain and medallion tied in. He is almost always seen with a cigar in his mouth.

Shimmerbeard is basically the Dnd equivalent of a straight up pimp.

Hefty
2009-10-28, 09:19 PM
I had in mind the laziest Gnome wizard ever. He would ride around on a nice soft chushy chair that sat atop a tensers floating disk, so he wouldn't have to walk anywhere. He would have a raven familiar, so it could do the talking for him. Use things like Unseen Servant to open doors and feed him. Use prestidigitation to clean himself every day. The Players handbook is filled with lazy wizard stuff.

I was going to make him into a party buffer, the kind of guy who gets others to do his dirty work. Then throw in a few combat and survival spells. He'd have a huge amount of memorable lines he could say, like "I grow tired of this." and then unleash a fireball to take out some baddies.

I had talked to my GM about having the Tenser's Floating Disk spell modified and basically having it as a "mount" that moved at 20' speed. I had an ace up my sleeve for if the party ever had to run from a fight, and his disk couldn't handle the speeds/got blocked. The little bugger had the run feat and expeditious retreat always memorized. So the party would just hear "aaaaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHCCCCCCRRRRRRaaaaaaaaappppppp!" pass them by as we routed.

It would have been terribly fun, but the next adventure I ran with that GM was in an incredibly magic phobic city where people like him would be executed on site for using witchcraft and being demon worshipers.

Zaydos
2009-10-28, 09:25 PM
One time I made a crazy gnomish druid/barbarian in a game where druid's alignment requirement was waved so he was Chaotic Evil. He rode his animal companion and would have been interesting, I mean who doesn't love murderous gnome druids, but I never actually got to play him. He actually had some plans and goals in the campaign but I forget what they are now.

Hefty
2009-10-28, 09:46 PM
One time I made a crazy gnomish druid/barbarian in a game where druid's alignment requirement was waved so he was Chaotic Evil. He rode his animal companion and would have been interesting, I mean who doesn't love murderous gnome druids, but I never actually got to play him. He actually had some plans and goals in the campaign but I forget what they are now.

I did a crazy Gnome druid once who was along similar lines. He was back in 3.0 and I was new to playing casters, so I didn't know what to do with the feats, so I chose things like Scent, Brachiation, Track, etc. and basically turned him into a gnome gone wild. He was tons of fun, always muttering to his badger companion.

Zaydos
2009-10-28, 09:48 PM
I did a crazy Gnome druid once who was along similar lines. He was back in 3.0 and I was new to playing casters, so I didn't know what to do with the feats, so I chose things like Scent, Brachiation, Track, etc. and basically turned him into a gnome gone wild. He was tons of fun, always muttering to his badger companion.

Yeah 3.0; forget his feats, think they were mostly Mounted Combat. If I had gotten to play him he'd have been my first druid. As it is my only druid has been a wizard/druid/arcane hierophant.

Dimers
2009-10-29, 07:16 AM
I also want to play a neutral good necromancer.

Call that a 'viviturgist' in character. That's a person who works with life energies. :smallbiggrin:

Dimers
2009-10-29, 07:31 AM
1-4: bard 1-4
5: ftr 1
6: bard 5
7: ur-priest 1
8: bard 6
9: ur-priest 2
10: bard 7
11: sublime chord 1
12-19: mystic theurge 1-8, boosting ur-priest and sublime chord casting
20: sublime chord 2

* 9th-level cleric and sor/wiz spells, some bard spells
* wears light armor without spell failure (medium with Battle Caster feat)
* doesn't have to follow any god's code -- even for a miracle spell
* bardic knowledge 9+Int
* 8 music/day, including Song of Arcane Power, which can boost divine too
* rebuke undead, which gives access to some divine feats
* +12 BAB, decent HP and saves (great Will)
* When this character gets 7th-level divine spells, cast undeath after death from Magic of Faerun. Suicide and rise as an undead creature (no chance of failure, unlike standard lich transformation). Apply to yourself the "spellstitched" template from Complete Arcane, for 15 more spells per day and a few good bonuses.

dragonfan6490
2009-10-31, 01:04 AM
The non-draconic descended sorcerer. My favorite is the Fae-Themed Sorcerer, with the Fae Heritage Feats of course.