PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming for New Incarnum Base Class

Primal Fury
2009-10-08, 09:07 PM
I've been rolling the thought of a new class using the rules for incarnum, as I've seen precious few on these boards. I've got the idea in my head that this new class won't use soul-melds at all, or at the very least will have very limited access to them. Instead, they would use incarnum in its rawest form, giving themselves boosts, but there's more to it than that. They'd have a much larger mote essentia pool than the other classes, and it could be used to enhance any roll with the appropiate "stunt" (yes, I drew a little inspiration from Exalted. Sue me :smalltongue:). In addition to these "stunts" they'd use the raw essentia through their chakra's and enhance their abilities through them (Hands chakra to greatly enhance climb and swim checks). This would also have a transformative aspect to it, i.e. they'd slowly become creatures composed entirely of incarnum.

I've got these ideas, but I'm wondering if this would be stepping on the other incarnum classes toes' too much. Does it?

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-08, 10:28 PM
I've got these ideas, but I'm wondering if this would be stepping on the other incarnum classes toes' too much. Does it?

That...sounds a heck of a lot like the Incarnum-based Monk variant I came here to post right before I noticed this thread. :smallconfused: I hope you don't mind if I post it anyway?

Primal Fury
2009-10-08, 10:52 PM
Oh. Well post it then. I wanna see what you did. (And I really wasn't going for a "Monk" thing, so there probly isnt a problem.)

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-10-08, 11:27 PM
Oh. Well post it then. I wanna see what you did. (And I really wasn't going for a "Monk" thing, so there probly isnt a problem.)

I didn't mean to imply that the idea has "already been taken," if that's what you're thinking (as I think you are); I'm just a bit surprised at the timing. It's posted here.

Primal Fury
2009-10-10, 09:48 PM
Gah. Didn't mean to wait this long to post a few little blurbs I've got. Here:

Soul-Shard: A (insert class name here) is always accompanied by an external expression of their second soul, and it is often referred to as the Soul-Shard because it is only a small piece of the greater whole. This ability functions as a pre-shaped Soulspark Familiar soulmeld with the following exceptions: The Soul-Shard has all the abilities of a regular soulspark, rather than those granted by the soulmeld; but it does not have access to its own essentia pool, and must therefore draw on its masters. For every point of essentia invested in the Soul-Shard, the range of it's Soul Blast increases by another 5ft, and it can move an additional 10ft away from its master; when it moves outside of this area, it dissipates, but reforms in its masters square on its next turn. Your second soul experiences the world through the Soul-Shard, and its mind expands every day; the Soul-Shard has the same Intelligence progression as a wizards familiar.

Guardian Chakra: At (don't know yet) level, you gain access to a unique chakra: the guardian chakra. This chakra is not associated with a location on the body, but rather represents your connection to the second soul that dwells within you. When you invest essentia in this chakra, the energy of your guardian takes the form of a glowing miasma that surrounds and clings to you. The only soulmeld that can be bound to this chakra is your Soul-Shard, using any other would mar the purity of your guardian soul's essentia.
At (don't know yet) level, you gain a delfection bonus to AC equal to the amount of essentia you invest in this chakra.

Flood Chakra: At level (don't know yet), you gain the ability to supercharge your chakras with a sudden burst of essentia. In addition to filling a chakra up to capacity, it grants a special ability related to that chakra. For example, a flooded Throat chakra might give the (insert class name here) a supernaturally persuasive voice, and a flooded Shoulders chakra might grant them flight. The chakras can maintain these abilities for a number of (insert time here) equal to the (insert class name here)s constitution modifier. Activating this ability is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, and each chakra can only be flooded once per day.

I was thinking about adding improved evasion to the Soul-Shard, but I'm not sure yet. Guardian chakra obviously isn't done yet, and neither is Flood Chakra.