PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Need help on ship issue. (Players no readie!)

Pika...
2009-10-09, 04:49 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/Picture2-1.png

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/Picture3-1.jpg

So, my game session just ended, and the party is in an unusual predicament I am not sure how to handle.

Basically, I believe what I currently need is some rules on a boat drifting, and an idea of how well Burning Hands would work as an emergency signal.

What happened was that the PCs were given a free elven ship (VERY valuable in my setting) and a skeleton crew of two sailor Experts as a "gift" to a player who recently got reincarnated as a gold dragon (dragons are mythical things in my setting, so this layer got REAL lucky) so he would get the hell out of a major NPC's city (and preferably continent).

Anyway, a day into the estimated moth-long trip I roll for randoms encounters, and they got one right off the bat. One PC saw a finned hand grab onto the deck-railing and screamed "Man overboard!". Expert sailor one who had Craft rope-making and Craft Carpentry grabs the hand to help, and suddenly got flung overboard. It was not until after the battle was over that someone realized the ship which had it's steering-wheel was still rushing forward (elven ships are immensely powerful in my setting), and deckded to turn back immediately for the fallen expert. He died just before they could have jumped in.

So, now they had one person capable of sailing the ship, and the PCs who agreed to take orders from him because he was the only who knew how to run a ship.

They continue the journey to their chosen destination with the Elf expert putting the party into two shifts of work, and then himself only meditating every two days. After two days of travel he goes below deck to rest since the wind was against them (keeping the ship from moving). He takes a mediation chair/semi-bed close to the stairway incase he is needed. The awaken PCs decide to use this time to (player A) keep look out, and (player B) fishing for supplies (Survival Skill). I end up rolling an encounter for this hour, and since I like bring in a cameo appearance now-and-again I say that the last fish player B got was this:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/magikarp.gif

I used the badger rules for it, just replacing the claw attack for a "thin attack". Player B has his PC attack it, and rolls a critical failure. He confirms the critical failure. I pull from my critical fumble deck, and it says he gets tossed 10ft in a random direction.I roll a 40K scatter dice, and he lands just perfectlyto be in the water (barely).

Afterward the squirrel kercopa in the bird's nest decdes to fire an arrow at it, which hits. The "big fish" knowing it can't get up there has a few options. I randomly rolled between it jumping back in the water and running, or being frenzied enough to keep attacking. I rolled the later.

I then rolled to see which direction it would head, either to the quarter room of the captain with PCs sleeping in there, or to the closer stairway which has been left open (it should have been a clear choice, but I decided to be fair). It chose the closer stairway. Needless to say they no longer have anyone capable of piloting, repairing, or navigating this ship.

The PCs then talked among themselves trying to plan what to do, and how to survive (I was so filled with DM pride). They decided on the new dragon PC attempting to reach land through swimming, and that the kobold adept would occasionally cast burning hands at night time in the hopes of the dragon PC being able to find them again.

It took the dragon PC three days to get to land, and the PCs on the ships were attacked with an encounter since then.

In the meantime the players managed to take down the sails of the ship in the hopes of keeping the wind from moving the ship. They managed not to brake them (I rolled percentile), but they would not be able to put them back on.

They currently have thirty days of rations aboard left for the entire crew (well, now with two dead I guess a bit more...). They have a net, but the PC with the highest survival is currently gone (the squirrel has it, but the player has been playing him as a strict vegetarian this whole time.).

So now I am trying to figure out the earlier two questions.

The PCs/players seem to completely have not paid attention to me saying that the anchors do no good because the water is too deep, and the boat still has it's wheel tied in the Southwest direction. I am not sure how, or even if, currents would play a part in this, so I was hoping there are some old sea-dogs in here who can advise.

In addition, the magic in my setting is Focus and Components based, so therefore the kobold adept can only cast Burning Hands a number of times equal to how many components it has. The kobold does have about 55 now due to the dragon PC (who has a level of adept as well) leaving his components as well. However, I am not sure if a mere 30ft cone would even do much. My homebrewed world has no store, but it has two moons, so usually one is up. Plus I imagine he would eat through those in a single night.

The group can theoretically survive indefinitely due to the adept making water, the ability to net fish, and them having a cow the can produce them milk in the cargo-hold.

I figure for a fun laugh/joke, and a way of "getting them off the hook" but without DM nerfing using the Exus Mechanus (or however you pronounce it) iI can jump a few years in time a few years with the dragon PC finially having found the, adrift at sea with the help of a hired ship (which leaves them in debt).

ps. They were already joking about at least having a female cow(the group is entirely female), and while packing for the night I asked the noble character's player "So, how long would it take before he went that route?". He answered "Well, assuming we have food and water, three years."

pss. Oh, and the ship has a speed of Wind x 10ft a round. But then the sails are gone, but oh well.

bosssmiley
2009-10-09, 05:03 AM
So none of the sailing officers on this elven scow had the sense to stow enough spare canvas to rig up sea anchors or emergency sails? :smallconfused:

Just let the ship float on the currents (which go wherever you as the DM decide) until they bump into the Isle of Dread, or fall through an oceanic vortex into another world, something.

BobVosh
2009-10-09, 05:06 AM
A human can see a lit candle about 3.5 miles. Under ideal conditions, of course. Burning hands is much bigger....but shorter duration.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070915112857AAj3LzU

Stormwrack has drifting rules, I believe. More over where did the dragon guy swim? If they know where land is they could putz along in clear skies to there. I believe it is only dc 15 sailor checks.

Also, deus ex machina.

However without any other sources of food malnourishment will strike. If they can conjure something beyond fish they could survive. If not...enjoy making them roll vs scurvy.

Also what is said cow eating? It's milk will be worthless quickly if it doesn't get proper feed.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-09, 05:28 AM
Aww.... this isn't the type of ship I hoped it would be...

Make it move in the direction and at the speed of plot?

Another_Poet
2009-10-09, 12:00 PM
Well here's what I suggest.

First, it sounds like you have opicked a direction, SW. Good. Sticxk with that. Unless there are storms or strong winds, which might alter course a bit more even without sails.

What you're looking at her is not really so much a puzzle for the PCs on the ship, but for the dragon. The player who plays the dragon needs to realise the following:

-He alone knows the approximate coordinates where the ship was last seen
-A search party will have to cover large around those coordinates
-Hiring an oceanographer or making some high Knowledge (Nature) checks could narrow down the search area, based on local currents
-The search is best done from the air
-If the search cannot be done from the air, fast ships will be needed
-The search is best carried out during the day. Nighttime searching can't hurt, but areas should be rechecked during the day

If he figures out any/most of the above, you can basically just indicate to him which area of the map he thinks the PCs are in and ask him for his search strategy. Based on how many searchers he has, how fast they move and which part of the search area they decide to start with, you can make up how many days it will take to find them.

If he really fails on something above, like wildly guessing the wrong area to search or searching only at night, it might be fair to assume he never finds them.

If he does search the right area at night, come up with a % roll of seeing the Burning Hands based on how many times the PCs use that spell that night. So if they use it every half hour for all 10 hours of darkness, maybe there is a 25% chance he will see it while in the area that night. Once an hour might be a 12% chance. Only once a night would just be a 1% chance.

Of course he might still see the ship by moonlight even without the Burning Hands, but require a Spot check with all the appropriate penalties (shadowy illumination, distance, weather conditions).

Bottom line is, the situation is a puzzle for the Dragon PC to solve. If he comes up with a strategic plan to search the right area, hand them to him on a silver platter. If not.... sounds like ongoing adventure as they try to unite.

ap

Cieyrin
2009-10-09, 12:19 PM
I don't think a Burning Hands would make a very good signal, as it's very quick and brief. You want something that'll continually burn so that passing ships have something to set their bearings to. If you light something on fire with the Burning Hands, that would be something different.

As for the drifting bit, according to Stormwrack, they drift with whatever currents are available, since as you said they have no sails to catch the wind. So, unless you have the ocean currents mapped on that nifty map of yours, it kinda comes down to you where you want it heading.

jiriku
2009-10-09, 12:30 PM
Poet has a good plan for you there. Unless he's familiar with search-and-rescue operation in real life, I'd suggest you provide the dragon player with a helpful NPC who can provide him with suggestions on how to conduct the search. Also you could be kind to the players and point out to them that a torch mounted in the crow's nest is a better signal than the occasional blast of burning hands.

And Pika...HOW in the name of insanity is it possible for a character to fumble an attack badly enough to hurl himself ten feet through the air and over the side of a ship? I mean, not to kill a catgirl or anything, but where would he get the momentum?

Pika...
2009-10-09, 12:32 PM
Well here's what I suggest.

First, it sounds like you have opicked a direction, SW. Good. Sticxk with that. Unless there are storms or strong winds, which might alter course a bit more even without sails.

What you're looking at her is not really so much a puzzle for the PCs on the ship, but for the dragon. The player who plays the dragon needs to realise the following:

-He alone knows the approximate coordinates where the ship was last seen
-A search party will have to cover large around those coordinates
-Hiring an oceanographer or making some high Knowledge (Nature) checks could narrow down the search area, based on local currents
-The search is best done from the air
-If the search cannot be done from the air, fast ships will be needed
-The search is best carried out during the day. Nighttime searching can't hurt, but areas should be rechecked during the day

If he figures out any/most of the above, you can basically just indicate to him which area of the map he thinks the PCs are in and ask him for his search strategy. Based on how many searchers he has, how fast they move and which part of the search area they decide to start with, you can make up how many days it will take to find them.

If he really fails on something above, like wildly guessing the wrong area to search or searching only at night, it might be fair to assume he never finds them.

If he does search the right area at night, come up with a % roll of seeing the Burning Hands based on how many times the PCs use that spell that night. So if they use it every half hour for all 10 hours of darkness, maybe there is a 25% chance he will see it while in the area that night. Once an hour might be a 12% chance. Only once a night would just be a 1% chance.

Of course he might still see the ship by moonlight even without the Burning Hands, but require a Spot check with all the appropriate penalties (shadowy illumination, distance, weather conditions).

Bottom line is, the situation is a puzzle for the Dragon PC to solve. If he comes up with a strategic plan to search the right area, hand them to him on a silver platter. If not.... sounds like ongoing adventure as they try to unite.

ap

Well, I did not choose the wind to be Southwest. I was using the random wind direct table from the Arms & Equipment Guide.

They are now without sails. They took them down thinking it would help keep the ship where it was for when/if the dragon PC came back. Since I do not know much about ships I am not sure if this is true, though.

However, besides that THANK YOU for all that help! Wonderful ideas in my opinions. I like it all.

There are a few snag, though.

1. Currently that Dragon PC was trying to be in hiding (he recently got reincarnated into a dragon, and dragons are big deals in my cosmology. he is now one of only two).

2. He just landed shore right in between a very unfriendly kiingdom to his left (who do not even posses a navy...), and to his right a port city state which he was just banned from by a very major NPC (who happens to be the one who gave him the ship, and the two "pawns" to sail it just for him to leave).

Do you know how it would affect thing if you calculate in the extended amount of time it will probably take him to find the help he needs (party is currently level 2)?

ps. Let's say the "He never find them" scenario happens, would it be fair to make it so that the PCs on the ship end up sailing for a set number of years (1d8) until they drift to a random location/continent coast/island on my world?

Telonius
2009-10-09, 12:52 PM
What was the elven ship carrying, besides the skeleton crew? Seems like there would have to be something flammable aboard.

What level is the party? If you have access to Mirage Arcana or Hallucinatory Terrain, you could Glamer something up. (Giant "SOS!" sign comes to mind).

Pika...
2009-10-09, 12:52 PM
However without any other sources of food malnourishment will strike. If they can conjure something beyond fish they could survive. If not...enjoy making them roll vs scurvy.

Oh, such a fun idea. I feel ashamed for not thinking about it. :smallbiggrin:

I guess I could give them the deformity flaw, and the bonus feat that goes along with it.

Also what is said cow eating? It's milk will be worthless quickly if it doesn't get proper feed.

I need to check, but I believe a level 2 adept (the kobold adept NPC) has Create Food, so I figure he would spend it making hey for the cow, and they get the milk.

RandomLunatic
2009-10-09, 01:07 PM
OK, first thing you need to do is smack your Dragon PC upside the head and remind him he has wings. He-llo! They also have excellent eyesight, including superb low-light vision. Depending on his approach to the search, this may well be invaluable.

Second, Burning Hands would make a terrible signal flare. It simply does not last long enough. Continual Flame would be better, or simply hang a lantern from the crow's nest.

Third, with the sails gone, the position of the wheel really has no meaning. It might swing the prow around a bit, but the ship is going to move with the prevailing currents (Just pick a direction and stick with it. If you want, you can do a bit of research to get a "realistic" direction.)

Fourth, Gold Dragons get an Alternate Form ability, so I do not see the Dragon PC getting into much trouble as long as he keeps his head screwed on (Dangerous assumption with a PC, I know...). I see three main avenues of help:
1: Go see the mayor that apparantly wants him gone really badly and bother him until he gives in just to be rid of you for good.
2: Go organize a search independently at the docks.
3: Other. (When PCs are involved, always prepare for "other". They concot the zaniest schemes.:smalltongue:)

I will second Poet for the organizing of the search. But I will note that if the shipboard PCs have Sending or another such spell, the one with Survival can keep track of their position (navigation keys to the Survival skill) and they can keep the Dragon PC updated, bypassing the "search" part of the operation and just skipping straight to the "rescue".

Cieyrin
2009-10-09, 01:11 PM
I need to check, but I believe a level 2 adept (the kobold adept NPC) has Create Food, so I figure he would spend it making hey for the cow, and they get the milk.

Create Food and Water is a Cleric only spell, which isn't on the Adept list. Even if it was available, as a 3rd level spell, Adepts wouldn't be able to cast it till 8th level, if we're using the DMG Adept class. Adepts can Purify Food and Drink as a orison but that doesn't provide you with nourishing food, that only purifies the food you already have available, meaning Bessy should probably be put out of her misery before she starves and her meat becomes useless to the players.

Also, I don't think the players would survive being adrift at sea for years, if not from the malnutrition, then by the slowly slackening grasp on sanity of not being on land and seeing the same things for long periods of time. Normal sailors survive maybe months adrift at sea, not years.

Vizzerdrix
2009-10-09, 01:16 PM
Such a fine craft just sitting there. What a treasure! Even if only used as a decoy along the land walkers trade routes... Surely your world has sentient sea life? The value of a ship would be high to them. Rare wood, worked metals, slaves...:smallamused:

In other words, if you want to be friendly, mer people find them and give them aid. If you want to have fun, Nasty looking fish men find them.

(EDIT: A heal check should allow the PCs to figure out that livers, eaten raw can help stave off scurvy. They may have to fish extra though.)

Pika...
Create Food and Water is a Cleric only spell, which isn't on the Adept list. Even if it was available, as a 3rd level spell, Adepts wouldn't be able to cast it till 8th level, if we're using the DMG Adept class. Adepts can Purify Food and Drink as a orison but that doesn't provide you with nourishing food, that only purifies the food you already have available, meaning Bessy should probably be put out of her misery before she starves and her meat becomes useless to the players.

Thank you for the correction.

But...but, poor Tippy. :smallfrown:

Also, I don't think the players would survive being adrift at sea for years, if not from the malnutrition, then by the slowly slackening grasp on sanity of not being on land and seeing the same things for long periods of time. Normal sailors survive maybe months adrift at sea, not years.

Well, why not put in insanity checks? Maybe per year? :smallbiggrin:

Triaxx
The Gold Dragon cannot fly why? And was not big enough to tow the ship? Burning Hands as a signal is not much use for a continuous beacon, but if you know someone is watching specifically for it it's good for a short burst to let them know you're there, or to start an attack.

Three good options are: A pirate attack. There must be some since there's an ocean and where you find oceans, you find pirates. Have the PC's either be captured or capture one of the pirates who knows how to drive the boat.

Magic Island. The kind of mystical island that only appears once every hundred years or so, and it just happens to show up and be populated by salty sea dogs, willing to train the crew.

Fisherman, probably from a small island far out in the ocean, too small to show up on a map, which offer to help the PC's to their island and keep a watch out for the Dragon when he returns.

Or you could just eat the squirrel. :smallsmile:

ericgrau
2009-10-09, 01:27 PM
Info on ocean currents:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_current
Just draw a similar map on top of your world map. Based on this:
http://wdstudio.net/gulfstreamturbine/force.htm
I'd go with 2d4 mph for the speed, though it might vary with location. The ship will travel at the same speed as the current if not otherwise influenced.

If the PCs fall within 5 feet of an edge (as with that critical failure), it's a DC 15 reflex save to catch the edge. IIRC it's a DC 15 climb check to pull yourself up, but you better check that.

The squirrel with survival can gather kelp from floating kelp beds if he's familiar with ocean nature. Maybe a knowledge(nature) check, DC 15 perhaps for "basic knowledge". Kelp is not very high in calories but the fresh vegetables might help extend their dry rations.

Burning hands does 1-3 times as much damage as mundane fire. I'd put its brightness as equal to 1-3 torches, and it only appears for an instant. I'd give rescuers a difficult spot check, maybe DC 20 (almost impossible for a commoner, but maybe possible for someone with a little training).

Cow's need to eat grain or hay to make milk. They don't eat fish. Kelp might be a good substitute, b/c unlike humans cows can convert fiber into energy. I dunno though.

The limes on board will last several weeks before rotting, assuming the PCs don't eat them all before then. 3 to 6 months after that the PCs will get scurvy. Symptoms are fatigue, tiredness, etc. and cold in the extremities from lack of blood circulation. Eventually you become so weak you die. Kelp does not contain a significant amount of vitamin C.

I agree on the canvas point. Shouldn't there be more canvas on board for repairing or making new sails? Even a makeshift sail should do something, though it might not hold up as well in a storm.

Pika...
2009-10-09, 04:26 PM
OK, first thing you need to do is smack your Dragon PC upside the head and remind him he has wings. He-llo! They also have excellent eyesight, including superb low-light vision. Depending on his approach to the search, this may well be invaluable.

Well, he only has one level in the Racial Progression from Dragon Magazine #320. This means his fly speed is slower than his swim speed. :smallconfused:

Plus he said after the first night "I take a nap". He woke up in the deep sea, and got attacked by a deep water shark. I would have done a vampire squid, but I was too in a hurry to workout the changes for the teeth.

Second, Burning Hands would make a terrible signal flare. It simply does not last long enough. Continual Flame would be better, or simply hang a lantern from the crow's nest.

Well, the Major NPC basically gave them a ship from his personal mini-navy, two crewmen Experts, 50ft of rope, and rations + water for eight people for a month. He wanted them gone fast, and they were not smart enough to simply double back a second and pick up what they needed "just in case".

So they had a skeleton crew, and rnot much more.

However, the ship is High Elven, which in itself is a fortune. Heck, the way I stated it out the personal crew chests alone are reinforced all around with adamantium (I know I butchered that spelling).I even had an easter egg where the two crewmens' chests had Amazing quality locks, luckily for them the rogue decided to have the noble (or ex-noble now that he is a draon's "pawn"?) to appraise them.

Third, with the sails gone, the position of the wheel really has no meaning. It might swing the prow around a bit, but the ship is going to move with the prevailing currents (Just pick a direction and stick with it. If you want, you can do a bit of research to get a "realistic" direction.).

Thanks for the this important information!

So the wind direction chart from teh Arms & Equipment guide has no importance now?

Did they end up better, or screw themselves more?

Fourth, Gold Dragons get an Alternate Form ability, so I do not see the Dragon PC getting into much trouble as long as he keeps his head screwed on (Dangerous assumption with a PC, I know...). I see three main avenues of help:
1: Go see the mayor that apparantly wants him gone really badly and bother him until he gives in just to be rid of you for good.
2: Go organize a search independently at the docks.
3: Other. (When PCs are involved, always prepare for "other". They concot the zaniest schemes.:smalltongue:)

1. Did I say mayor? My bad. No, he is not even in the city's council. He is more like a semi-protector. His mere presence (he is the world's only half-dragon) basically keeps armies at bey.

In truth cares much for the city he resides in, but is not the most talkative or or friendly of folks, and despises getting interrupted.

2. Not sure what you mean here. You mean hire crews/a ship(s) himself?

3. This has been the story of my entire campaign. I thought by now they would still be trying to deal with my Gnoll "Bi#$% Queen" I got the forum's help from a bit back...

I will second Poet for the organizing of the search. But I will note that if the shipboard PCs have Sending or another such spell, the one with Survival can keep track of their position (navigation keys to the Survival skill) and they can keep the Dragon PC updated, bypassing the "search" part of the operation and just skipping straight to the "rescue".

Low-Magic setting. They got lucky to have an adept that is.

ps. And he does not get chapechanging ability until a later level I believe.

Pika...
2009-10-09, 04:36 PM
Such a fine craft just sitting there. What a treasure! Even if only used as a decoy along the land walkers trade routes... Surely your world has sentient sea life? The value of a ship would be high to them. Rare wood, worked metals, slaves...:smallamused:)

They were out two days at sea, both days they got a random encounter (their results on the % was a 4, followed by a 3 the next day...).

They got boarded twice by a tribe of Sahuagin that I mapped near that area.

In other words, if you want to be friendly, mer people find them and give them aid. If you want to have fun, Nasty looking fish men find them.

(EDIT: A heal check should allow the PCs to figure out that livers, eaten raw can help stave off scurvy. They may have to fish extra though.)

jiriku
2009-10-09, 11:19 PM
I'd like to also add a thank-you for sharing this with us. Reading about your poor hapless players was good for quite a few laughs today.:smallbiggrin:

D&D is a crowded universe. If they come up with an effective signal fire someone is going to come by and notice that after a few weeks if the dragon hasn't found them by then. Because I am cruel, I would say that someone is a slaver vessel....

Pika...
2009-10-10, 12:12 AM
I'd like to also add a thank-you for sharing this with us. Reading about your poor hapless players was good for quite a few laughs today.:smallbiggrin:

Thanks. :smallredface:

I am glad you enjoyed the story!

Funny thing is the squirrel's player joked about that near gaming closing. He was saying something to teh other players on the lines of 'You know what, there should be pirates here! I don't care if they put us in chains, I hope they find us I really don't..".

OracleofWuffing
2009-10-10, 12:21 AM
Something which may or may not be your avatar and or username tells me you might already know this, but certain sources claim that magikarp are mostly scale and bones, with little to nothing going for eating. I hope for their sake that you've been rolling better on the random encounters since then. I also wonder when the inevitable gyrados is going to show up: if that happens, what are the odds of the PCs attempting to train it? :smalltongue:

Pika...
2009-10-10, 01:39 AM
Something which may or may not be your avatar and or username tells me you might already know this, but certain sources claim that magikarp are mostly scale and bones, with little to nothing going for eating. I hope for their sake that you've been rolling better on the random encounters since then. I also wonder when the inevitable gyrados is going to show up: if that happens, what are the odds of the PCs attempting to train it? :smalltongue:

What would be a good monster to copy stats over for a gyrados? I am going to do it if they roll a Nat 1 for encounter. :smallbiggrin:

ps. Just got talking to a fellow player for advice

I am thinking that if both the Dragon PC fails to find them (using the critira mentioned above), and the PCs on the ship do not think of something I will make them drift (I will also be adding currents to my map on a hidden layer. Thanks!) for 1d8 years.

Two things will happen:
1. Each year adrift each PC will roll on the Unearthed Arcana Insanity Table. :smallbiggrin:
2. Each year they will be subject to the psionic power Attraction. It's DC is the base 10 + the power's level of 1 (total = 11). For each year after the first the DC goes up by +1.

If any of them fail the Will Save they start feeling tired of doing nothing but fishing, seaweed grabbing, and playing Three Dragin Ante day-in and day-out and they start to feel a bit "lonely".

Considering the only females on board is the Tibbet's pet cat and Tabby I am very interested how the PC(s) will interpret "lonely". :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

ps. I am going to rule that they can keep the cow well fed with seaweed. Thanks for the idea to save Tippy!

OracleofWuffing
2009-10-10, 11:37 AM
What would be a good monster to copy stats over for a gyrados? I am going to do it if they roll a Nat 1 for encounter. :smallbiggrin:
Eh... This sort of thing isn't exactly my strong suit... Gyarados is about 21 feet tall, but size works wonky in D&D...

Oh, do you have Monster Manual III? There's a Dragon Eel, it's a CR11 large serpent-like dragon that strikes fear into the hearts of most sailors, and is known to be pretty nasty (it punctures ships and devours crews and all that). The flavor also states he's 20 feet long. I've used one before, it has improved grab and swallow whole, so if your players don't immediately fear it, you can put the bite on them and show them who's boss. That's more-or-less what gyarados would be according to video game logic. In manga/anime logic, you might want to give it some nasty storm-like spells for dragon rage and hyper beam.

Pika...
2009-10-11, 01:51 PM
OK, so today is game day.

Time to see if the PCs/players are smart enough to get out of the situation...

Will update the thread with the latest news. :smallsmile:

Eh... This sort of thing isn't exactly my strong suit... Gyarados is about 21 feet tall, but size works wonky in D&D...

Oh, do you have Monster Manual III? There's a Dragon Eel, it's a CR11 large serpent-like dragon that strikes fear into the hearts of most sailors, and is known to be pretty nasty (it punctures ships and devours crews and all that). The flavor also states he's 20 feet long. I've used one before, it has improved grab and swallow whole, so if your players don't immediately fear it, you can put the bite on them and show them who's boss. That's more-or-less what gyarados would be according to video game logic. In manga/anime logic, you might want to give it some nasty storm-like spells for dragon rage and hyper beam.

Dude, that is awesome!

If they roll another random encounter while fishing I'll have them pull up another carp. I'll make it so one hit knocks it overboard. Then a large flash light shines from the water/out of view, and you-know-who emerges beside the ship. :smallbiggrin:

Gamerlord
2009-10-11, 03:40 PM
An off-topic question: how did you make that map? What program? That fractal mapper thingy looks handy...

On Topic: Good luck, may all your hits be crits!

herrhauptmann
2009-10-11, 06:43 PM
How about the dragon PC using 'locate object'? If you allow the use of Monte cooks Arcana unearthed (3.0 book) with it's 3 varieties of magic ritual, the dragon could manage to upgrade the spell enough to 'find' his old spell component pouch.

Give him a 'threadbare hat of disguise, that is all tattered and torn' Tell the PC out of character, that he can only activate it so many times before the magic fails it.