PDA

View Full Version : Halloween's a-coming

Cleverdan22
2009-10-09, 08:00 PM
So, Halloween. Plans, costumes? What's going on with folks this year on the great day of the month?

I myself am going to a party that is also a housewarming party for a friend that just got married. Should be fun on the bun.

Also, I apologize if there is already a thread or a rule about this. I didn't see any.

Silence
2009-10-09, 08:29 PM
This Halloween shall be a very metal one for me. I shall be moshing and chillin with my girlfriend, supplied we make it that long (ugh...).

blackfox
2009-10-09, 08:34 PM
I'm in Collegeland this year, so I figure there should probably be some interesting parties going on. I plan on dressing up as a tax collector and harassing ordinary citizens.

Cleverdan22
2009-10-09, 08:37 PM
I'm in Collegeland this year, so I figure there should probably be some interesting parties going on. I plan on dressing up as a tax collector and harassing ordinary citizens.

Heh. I did that a couple of years back.

Partof1
2009-10-09, 08:48 PM
There's a team of eight competition thing at school, so there's gonna be a band o' pirates walkin' the halls.

EDIT Just to clarify, I'm gonna be one of those pirates, and 7 of my friends.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-09, 11:51 PM
As I've said in previous Halloween threads, I'm going as King Leonidas.

toasty
2009-10-09, 11:56 PM
Hmm... I will be at a Bingo Party, don't rather non-Halloween things with my friends. Yes... I don't really celebrate Halloween. Just not really my thing.

Ravens_cry
2009-10-09, 11:57 PM
I am going to a Con on Halloween as Death as The Hogfather. That's right, my Costume is wearing a costume.

SDF
2009-10-10, 12:24 AM
I'm going as the Wizard of Cool. He is a drug dealer dressed like a wizard.

My housemates and I are throwing a Halloween bash with lots and lots -o- people.

Solaris
2009-10-10, 12:30 AM
Hallo-what? I know not of this 'holiday' thing.
In other news, I'm getting stockpiles of TP and eggs because turnabout's fair play and punk teens hate it when you follow them home to mess up their houses.

Serpentine
2009-10-10, 12:43 AM
We don't have it in Australia. I'm ambivalent about that. There is a Vampire: The Masquerade crew Halloween party, but... well, with Certain Others probably going, it'd be awkward at best and explosive at worst if I went.
Which is sad, cuz I like dressing up, and I hardly ever have an opportunity to v.v

EndlessWrath
2009-10-10, 12:59 AM
Vincent Valentine from FF7 OR William Wallace from braveheart.

-Wrath

The Extinguisher
2009-10-10, 01:31 AM
I'm partying down in some redneck small town.

But I will be going as Protoman. Should be fun.

Thajocoth
2009-10-10, 01:56 AM
I'm reusing my Super Mario costume from 2 years ago. The game I'm DMing might coincide with Halloween... I'm reusing because no one who saw me wearing it then will see me in it this time... Except perhaps my friend who was Luigi that year... He might be joining the game. Heh, I'll let him know in case he's still got the costume.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-10, 02:31 PM
One Halloween costume I think people fail to see the awesome-ness behind is dressing up as Brad Pitt's character from Inglorious Basterds. It's a crazy over the top character. I'd do it but I've been planning my King Leonidas costume for far too long, plus I don't want to shave/cut my hair.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-10, 02:34 PM

You all just made me very sad that we don't really celebrate Halloween over here.

cycoris
2009-10-10, 02:40 PM
I'm going to be Susan Sto Helit. :smallbiggrin:

I'm basing my costume off the drawing of her that's in The Art of Discworld.

Violet Octopus
2009-10-10, 03:00 PM
I'm in Australia too, but our university LGBT/queer society is having a Spooky Gender Bender party.

I shall dress as a mushroom.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-10, 03:07 PM
Gender Bender party sound quite awesome.....

I live in a sad, sad, sad place....

Want...

Coidzor
2009-10-10, 03:27 PM
Well, I've got a feeling I have an idea.... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aKLHhCb0Mw)

http://www.deviantart.com/download/126065626/GUESS_WHO_IT_IS___GHOST_NAPPA__by_Kirbopher15.jpg

Kasbe
2009-10-10, 03:48 PM
Im going to dress up as a giant cookie, and Im serious.

TehSheen
2009-10-10, 04:39 PM
I'm going to dress up as a paladin with a sword and shield. No really, I AM serious. I'm going to walk up to people, say I'm going to smite them, and then hit them with my sword, and run away. Yeah, I am that geeky.:smallwink:

Rutskarn
2009-10-10, 04:43 PM
Midnight horror RP session in a dark room, lit only by a dim red light.

Hell yeah.

blackfox
2009-10-10, 04:45 PM
Midnight horror RP session in a dark room, lit only by a dim red light.

Hell yeah.DO WANT.
Aw, man, I'm so jealous of you people who have IRL RP groups. =3

Gem Flower
2009-10-10, 06:09 PM
I'm being an undead Venetian courtier, so I can actually use the mask I bought in Venice this summer, and I'll be trick-or-treatin' with my friends. We can never be too old!:smalltongue: Mask + black dress + warm shawl = awesome and easy costume.

Solaris
2009-10-10, 06:15 PM
Im going to dress up as a giant cookie, and Im serious.

Beware He Who Stalks the Jar. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=25919)

Fostire
2009-10-10, 08:23 PM
I'm undecided between two ideas:
1- A mime
2- Guybrush Threepwood

I prefer the Guybrush one, but that would require dyeing my hair which I'm not sure I want too. Also it would be harder to acquire the outfit.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-10, 10:37 PM
I'm in Australia too, but our university LGBT/queer society is having a Spooky Gender Bender party.

I shall dress as a mushroom.

You want to see spooky gender bending? You should see what I wore to my college's drag ball last year. I'll give you a hint: it starts with "c" and ends with "hainmail bikini.":smallbiggrin:

Eon
2009-10-10, 10:51 PM
aww i would go as a mushroom but i can't seeing as me and a few of my friends help out at a neighbor's house and he has his own costumes that we wear to scare the treat-hungry-disguised-humans-that-think-not-giving-away-treats-is-a-valid-reason-to-trick-people...

CMOTDibbler
2009-10-11, 12:32 AM
I am going to a Con on Halloween as Death as The Hogfather. That's right, my Costume is wearing a costume.

That is awesome. Someone should go as Albert as an elf. I haven't decided on a costume yet this year.

Serpentine
2009-10-11, 12:51 AM
Apparently my boy (and by extension, I) has been invited to a (reputedly tame) halloween party. Now to come up with a costume...

Thajocoth
2009-10-11, 02:30 AM

You all just made me very sad that we don't really celebrate Halloween over here.

I don't think it's a nationally recognized holiday or anything... People certainly don't get off from school or work for it... We just put on costumes. I see no reason you couldn't just wear a costume that day. Maybe you'll start a trend in your area.

Fostire
2009-10-11, 02:39 AM
I don't think it's a nationally recognized holiday or anything... People certainly don't get off from school or work for it... We just put on costumes. I see no reason you couldn't just wear a costume that day. Maybe you'll start a trend in your area.

That seemed to work back home. At first it was a couple of kids trick or treating, and now everyone's doing halloween parties and stuff.

Serpentine
2009-10-11, 02:40 AM
Not quite true. You can't exactly "just start up" trick-or-treating - you need the whole community involved. A street might be doable, or maybe a small country town, but that's about it... Unless your country has a tradition of it, like the US does.

If anyone wants a good Halloween movie to watch, I recommend Trick n Treat (think that's what it's called). Went basically straight-to-DVD, but unfairly, I think.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-11, 02:41 AM
I am going as agent smith from the matrix.

hey, I may be sixteen but that doesn't mean I don't like free candy.:smallbiggrin:

skywalker
2009-10-11, 03:24 AM
The problem with college is the constraints that are put on you. You see, there is always the problem of needing to be seen. Your face must be visible if you're going to actually party at the party you've gone to. You must also, of course, be instantly recognizable, it's not cool to stand there explaining who the ruddy-hell you are.

Me? I'm probably going to find me a nice utility-belt and whip out the old karate gi, if/when I get invited to any sort of Halloween happening. I'm exempt from the "going as Luke Skywalker makes you a nerd" rule since my name is actually Luke. It's really just a pun at that point, I think.

Fostire
2009-10-11, 03:25 AM
Not quite true. You can't exactly "just start up" trick-or-treating - you need the whole community involved. A street might be doable, or maybe a small country town, but that's about it... Unless your country has a tradition of it, like the US does.

I used to live in pretty big city (1.5 million people) and it sort of worked there, but it took time. It started as a couple of kids trick-or-treating who didn't get much more than some doors slammed on their faces from people who had no idea what the heck the kids were doing.
Next year even more kids joined in the trick or treating and people started to be a little more cooperative and give out some candy.
The following year supermarkets put up decorations which led to more people joining in on the fun.

That started some five years ago and it's still only a minority of people who go out in costumes, but popularity is slowly growing. Specially amongst teenagers and young adults who see this as an opportunity to have themed parties.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-11, 03:48 AM
Never been trick or treating. I am deprived. :smallfrown:

Serpentine
2009-10-11, 03:53 AM
I used to live in pretty big city (1.5 million people) and it sort of worked there, but it took time. It started as a couple of kids trick-or-treating who didn't get much more than some doors slammed on their faces from people who had no idea what the heck the kids were doing.
Next year even more kids joined in the trick or treating and people started to be a little more cooperative and give out some candy.
The following year supermarkets put up decorations which led to more people joining in on the fun.

That started some five years ago and it's still only a minority of people who go out in costumes, but popularity is slowly growing. Specially amongst teenagers and young adults who see this as an opportunity to have themed parties.That's cool. If it can happen, I'm quite glad :smallsmile: Even Halloween aside - that that can happen at all is pretty snazzy.

Nevrmore
2009-10-11, 04:28 AM
Well, sadly, the costume party I was really looking forward to got canceled. But f-ck it, I have this Philip Marlowe costume and I'm not wasting it.

Bhu
2009-10-11, 04:55 AM
I hope to have the usual moviethon/pizza and popcorn fest but things dontlok so great so far...

Solaris
2009-10-11, 04:59 AM
I am going as agent smith from the matrix.

hey, I may be sixteen but that doesn't mean I don't like free candy.:smallbiggrin:

Mm, teenagers begging for candy. If the costume's lame, such as someone showing up in street clothes, they get invited to leave. This typically leads to them attempting to egg/TP and then me having a really good time. :smallamused:

Gulaghar
2009-10-11, 02:40 PM
I'm going to dress up as a paladin with a sword and shield. No really, I AM serious. I'm going to walk up to people, say I'm going to smite them, and then hit them with my sword, and run away. Yeah, I am that geeky.:smallwink:

Make sure you yell SMITE EVIL!!!!!!

Coidzor
2009-10-11, 02:47 PM
Apparently my boy (and by extension, I) has been invited to a (reputedly tame) halloween party. Now to come up with a costume...

Wonder Woman? :smalltongue:

SilentNight
2009-10-11, 02:53 PM
I'm going as North America. I've got a beanie shaped like a maple leaf that says "Canada", a shirt with the american flag on it and my friend's old martial arts pants which i'm gonna paint red and green to be the mexican flag.

Thajocoth
2009-10-11, 03:27 PM

I just meant to wear a costume. I'm 26, so I'm far too old to trick or treat, but I still wear a costume every year. Too many people don't. I'm saying to just wear a costume that day, and when asked say "What, you've never heard of Halloween?" And then tell them about it. Then, next year, maybe more people will do it, ect...

Illiterate Scribe
2009-10-11, 03:54 PM
Konata from lucky star.

I shall be the kawaiiest belle of the ball and the trick or treat circuit.

AshDesert
2009-10-11, 04:03 PM
My plans this Halloween involve a black van with the headlights turned off, a high-powered air cannon, and lots of candy raining down on what is pretty much Main Street in my subdivision... :smallamused:

Gamerlord
2009-10-11, 04:06 PM
I won't be celebrating.

Keld Denar
2009-10-11, 04:07 PM
I've got lederhosen and a felt alpine hat, complete with feather. Considering I actually know a couple of traditional German drinking songs (in German), and the fact that I plan on drinking heavily, I think it works out well.

BEST costume I've ever seen, is one of my fraternity brothers dressed up as Karl from Aquateen Hungerforce. He shaved a bald spot on his head, got a stained A-shirt, a big gold necklace, and flip flops. Given that he already looks pretty much like Karl, it was PERFECT.

SoD
2009-10-11, 04:19 PM
I've got a dress up dinner at the local theatre company, of which I am a member of. My girl is going as one of these (http://www.geekologie.com/2009/05/25/dalek%20girls.jpg). I'm going as one of these (http://media.photobucket.com/image/all%20the%20doctors/Locker_Monster/Screencaps/dw_theforgotten_13.jpg). Hilarity ensues.

Raistlin1040
2009-10-11, 05:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust. So...Value Village hunting times!

Ikialev
2009-10-12, 08:42 AM
Halloween is recognized here only as another mad tradition from this capitalistic oversea country.

Anuan
2009-10-12, 09:14 AM
It isn't really celebrated where I'm at, but it is kind of in the cities, so next year when I'm in melbourne, I'm either going as V (from OotS, of course, not the done to death V) as I'm getting a shorter but more effeminate haircut soon, and will have to remove my goatee for work. This plus a year of weightloss and a pair of red snuggies sewn together, with the sleeves taken off one, equals instant androgynous elf wizard.

Either that, or I'll go as the phantom of the opera. Cliche, but I like it.

HellfireLover
2009-10-12, 09:19 AM
I am either a) locking myself in the house with all the lights off to discourage the little 'darlings' from coming to my house and wrecking the garden decor (after my giving them chocolate too, ungrateful brats); or b) borrowing my cousin's Death robes and seven-foot scythe and chasing them off my property while screaming histrionically that I'll eat their tasty little blackened souls.

I expect complaints either way.

Gerrtt
2009-10-12, 08:33 PM
Because I will probably be working that night, and because my job's staff all dresses up as a theme (and I believe we're choosing Peter Pan) I'm likely going to be a pirate.

However, if I just got to do what I wanted, I'd go as Michael J. Fox from Teen Wolf.

No, not just a werewolf (which I've done). I'd wear sweat bands and athletic apparel and my werewolf mask.

thorgrim29
2009-10-12, 09:06 PM
I'm going as a post apocalyptic semi military survivor (long story), basically: cargo pants, tactical vest, greatcoat, gas mask if I can find one that's not horribly overpriced. I'm psyched because it'll be my first costumed halloween in years, I usually just read a book at home and hand out candy, this time I've got a party to attend.

Violet Octopus
2009-10-12, 09:31 PM
You want to see spooky gender bending? You should see what I wore to my college's drag ball last year. I'll give you a hint: it starts with "c" and ends with "hainmail bikini.":smallbiggrin:
Was it actual chainmail? Even if not, kudos.

The V and Ziggy Stardust ideas are awesome too.

So, with my mushroom idea, I'm thinking a cheap sombrero could provide the structure for the cap, and I'll probably paint it to look like a fly agaric (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_agaric). However, I'm worried that the woven texture of the sombrero will make a paint job look bad, and making a gill structure is probably beyond me. Thoughts?

Keld Denar
2009-10-15, 05:21 PM
Paper mache would probably be best. A quick google search (seriously...what was life like before google? I can't remember! Maybe I'll google it...) reveals this as a recipe (http://familycrafts.about.com/od/papermache/a/nocookpmpaste.htm). Looks fairly easy. Get some old newspapers and coat the sombraro until you have the texture you want, then paint. I wouldn't worry too much about the gilling underneath, although you could use pieces of cardboard covered in a thin layer of paper mache if you were really ambitious.

I'd be more concerned with your body/stalk. You'd need something cylindrical, yet flexible with arm holes and that preferably doesn't interfere with your ability to move your legs. Whats the point of going to a holloween party if you can't dance with sexy angels and kittens and she-devils and all those other awesome sexy outfits girls come up with!

Trodon
2009-10-15, 05:25 PM
I will be ether Inigo Montoya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inigo_Montoya) or something else I'm not sure yet.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-15, 05:30 PM
My friends and I are going as Christmas Carolers :smallbiggrin:.

Raistlin1040
2009-10-15, 06:08 PM

So, with my mushroom idea, I'm thinking a cheap sombrero could provide the structure for the cap, and I'll probably paint it to look like a fly agaric (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_agaric). However, I'm worried that the woven texture of the sombrero will make a paint job look bad, and making a gill structure is probably beyond me. Thoughts?

Heh thanks.

I got a pair of red pants, a sparkling silver shirt, some blue boot-heel things, and a black jacket with a shiny silver pattern. Still need another shirt since the silver one is meant for women, and shows cleavage (Um...and I don't have any so it looks odd), and I need to get my wig and makeup. I'll be sure to get pictures up though.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend's not allowed to go trick or treating since her parents think she's too old, so I'm not entirely sure what we're going to do.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-15, 06:13 PM
Halloween usually brings with it Thanksgiving and RPGNow.com discounts.

And I do love those RPGNow.com discounts.

Flabbicus
2009-10-16, 10:34 AM
I'm going as a generic badass. Eyepatch, leather jacket, and an attempt at a five o'clock shadow.

And afterwards I am attending a fake mustache party. Should be fun.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-16, 08:53 PM

Yes. Yes it was. I'd post a picture, but I'm not sure about the rules governing nudity on these forums. You don't see my genitals or nipples, but you see just about everything else in the front.

RedDwarf
2009-10-16, 09:01 PM
I am going to be a samurai...maybe with a cross-shaped scar on my cheek ( Reference to Rurouni Kenshin )

Serpentine
2009-10-18, 09:57 AM
I grew up in a college town, and one Halloween our doorbell rang and we opened the door expecting to see trickortreater—but what was in front of our open door—was another door! Like, a full-on wooden door, that had a sign that said “Please knock.” So we did, and the door swung open to reveal a bunch of college dudes dressed as really old grandmothers, curlers in their hair, etc, who proceeded to coo over our “costumes” and tell us we were “such cute trick or treaters!” One even pinched my cheek. Then THEY gave US candy, closed their door, picked it up and walked to the next house. MLIA

I'm working on a costume for the subject of "Who was that masked stranger?!" So far I've sewn a cape (black satiny with a silver ribbon to tie it, thinking of trimming the bottom with more ribbon), customised a hat (black swashbuckly hat, replaced the red ribbon with the same silver, gonna buy a new feather), and decorated a mask (black and silver eye mask). Just gotta work out the clothes to wear with it...

Jarawara
2009-10-18, 10:28 AM
I've loaded up on tons of Halloween Candy, for the trick-or-treaters. Snickers, Reeces, Twixt Bars, Hershey Bars, Payday and Baby Ruth and Almond Joy. A few of those sampler bags too, for those who would prefer a Red Licorice or the occasional Whopper.

Did I mention that I live on a side-street, down a long unmarked driveway? We NEVER get ANY trick-or-treaters.

*~*~*

In unrelated news, my posting my be a little erratic and a bit fuzzy and muddled, due to the MONTH LONG SUGER HIGH I'm about to embark upon. :smallbiggrin:

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-18, 12:11 PM
My mom won't let me go anymore.

Coidzor
2009-10-18, 08:15 PM
Query: Does anyone here have any experience crossdressing?

I need to find my dress size for a costume, and just for future reference such as rocky horror, and my google-fu is failing me.

Which is surprising, since you'd think that sort of thing would be fairly commonly googled.

Em Blackleaf
2009-10-18, 09:24 PM
I'm going to dress up as Carmen Sandiego. I just hope it's cold on Halloween, so I can wear the red coat.

I'm going to a Halloween party at my friends house. So, I'm not going trick-or-treating, but I am getting all the free candy I want.

Three of my friends are actually going to be the Powerpuff Girls. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2009-10-18, 09:49 PM
This (http://www.ezibuy.com.au/Information/5005) could be a good start. It depends though. The best thing to do is get your measurements, and compare with those of the specific garment you're after - and always try it on, if you can.

Jack Squat
2009-10-18, 10:04 PM
I'm going as an Umbrella Corp. guard/UBCS. Basically I took Murphy Seeker (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/residentevil/images/1/18/Murphy.jpg) and updated him to what'd probably be in a movie if they were to make one.

Dunno what I'm doing for Halloween though. Going to try and get some plans together this week.