PDA

View Full Version : My little brother is flying to Australia... HELP!

Seonor
2009-10-10, 11:45 AM
The title says it all... my brother is, for the next five months, traveling in Australia. So we (the rest of the family) decided to make him a book so he has something to remember us by.

But there is a small problem: I need another page to fill. So I am asking the playground: What shold he know about Sydney/Perth that no one else can tell him? What locations should he, under no circumstances, miss? Is there a some food he absolutely has to try?

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-10, 11:49 AM
Australia.. Filled with things from boomerangs and silly accents, to deadly insects and bloodthirsty mammals...

Violet Octopus
2009-10-10, 11:58 AM
Umm, what are his interests?

One of the few things everyone should know when traveling in Sydney is that its public transport is an abomination, though if he has a lonely planet guide he probably already knows this.

Mordokai
2009-10-10, 11:59 AM
http://invasiveinfection.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/health_bar_spider.jpg

A can of insect repelant might do him good :smallbiggrin: Also this (http://www.smedg.org.au/DougAdamsOnOz.html).

But I imagine Serpentine or any of the other playgrounders from down under will have something more constructive to say :smallsmile:

loopy
2009-10-10, 12:10 PM
-Ask if and where its safe to go in the water. Good people to ask are lifeguards and surfers.
-Go to a beach kiosk and get a burger and chips, eat it while watching the surf. Its basically a must do when coming to Australia.
-There is nothing to see in the Western Suburbs of Sydney. Don't even bother.
-For all everyone talks about Bondi, Maroubra, and the other big Sydney beaches, the best bet is to travel north an hour (conveniently, where I live), and see some of the nicest beaches around.
-Mosquito repellent is definitely useful.
-Aussielanders are for the most part friendly, open, and pretty physical people. Ask them if you have a problem, and you'll most likely receive all the help you need.
-Don't worry about the many and varied rumors about how deadly Aussieland is, unless you intend to stick your hand in a rock pool or go wandering around in the desert.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. If he needs someone to guide him round the Central Coast region, tell him to give me a yell. :smallsmile:

BatRobin
2009-10-10, 12:26 PM
What about the Opera House?

loopy
2009-10-10, 01:12 PM

Pretty to look at, no good for Opera, the acoustics are horrible, and the stage/seat setup sucks.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-10-10, 01:23 PM
The title says it all... my brother is, for the next five months, traveling in Australia. So we (the rest of the family) decided to make him a book so he has something to remember us by.

But there is a small problem: I need another page to fill. So I am asking the playground: What shold he know about Sydney/Perth that no one else can tell him? What locations should he, under no circumstances, miss? Is there a some food he absolutely has to try?

Well he should definitely be aware that Sydney is an absolute abomination of a city. Do you have room for that? Be sure to take note ... :smallwink:

loopy
2009-10-10, 01:46 PM
Well he should definitely be aware that Sydney is an absolute abomination of a city. Do you have room for that? Be sure to take note ... :smallwink:

Coming from someone who lives in CANBERRA? Pfft. Like you can talk, I'm surprised you were able to find your way out of the endless park and into some place with a computer. :smallwink:

Aaand on that note, I'll actually be in Canberra next weekend for a rave, haha.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-10-10, 01:51 PM
Coming from someone who lives in CANBERRA? Pfft. Like you can talk, I'm surprised you were able to find your way out of the endless park and into some place with a computer. :smallwink:

Aaand on that note, I'll actually be in Canberra next weekend for a rave, haha.

Tis better to burn and glow, then live near Joe (Hockey) >.>

It's funny, cause we get all the easy access to politicians for egg throwing, with none of the pains associated with residency. Plus we have pretty scenery! Preeeeeeeeeeeety >.>

Thrawn183
2009-10-10, 06:03 PM
A picture of the most beautiful naked woman you can find.

Fostire
2009-10-10, 06:37 PM
I have it on good account that everything in Australia is poisonous, including the antidotes.

Moonshadow
2009-10-10, 06:42 PM
Sydney is a *expletive*ing *expletive* to navigate.

Come to Melbourne instead, we're the best :smallbiggrin:

thubby
2009-10-10, 06:47 PM
don't drink the water?

Solaris
2009-10-10, 06:50 PM
I have it on good account that everything in Australia is poisonous, including the antidotes.

Everything. In fact, you can't eat anything there because it's all poisonous.
Oh, and some of the critters are venomous.

Yarram
2009-10-10, 07:09 PM
Pretty to look at, no good for Opera, the acoustics are horrible, and the stage/seat setup sucks.

You seriously think that? I totally disagree... When I played in it for state band, the acoustics were awesome. Even full of people you still have about 1.5 seconds of acoustic decay, because the chairs are made of a material that's supposed to act acoustically the same way as a human body.

As for the stage/seat setup, the actual opera hall was really nice, even if you were stuck right out the side you can see most of the stage, and the concert stage is awesome because you can see anything from any point of it... And the stage itself is big enough to hold a 60 piece band with about 1/4 of the stage still being excess space. The choir stands are huge as well.

+++

Moving onto the topic though, you could do some research on DnD shops in Australia so you can hook him up with a group.
Off the top of my head, the only public group I know of (not being a city resident) is The Tin Soldier (http://tinsoldier.com.au/forum/index.php) on George Street Sydney.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-10, 07:25 PM
One thing you'll find about Perth is if you're used to big really dense cities like you over over yonder, it'll seem to you a lot like just a really big country town, at times. Nothing too much to see, (It's called Dullsville for a reason) compared to other cities in Aus. If he feels like finding a RPG merchant, Tactics down in London Court has served all my nerdy needs for some time. Oh, and don't hang around Northbridge after dark, unless you're looking for illicit substances or a fight.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-10-10, 09:06 PM
Beware of drop bears.

Sydney is a *expletive*ing *expletive* to navigate.
Come to Melbourne instead, we're the best :smallbiggrin:

OBJECTION!
There is a contradiction in the witness' testimony!

Moonshadow
2009-10-10, 09:12 PM
don't drink the water?

No, the water is fine, unless you're in adelaide, then its OH DEAR GOD STAY AWAY :smallyuk:

_Zoot_
2009-10-10, 09:35 PM
No, the water is fine, unless you're in adelaide, then its OH DEAR GOD STAY AWAY :smallbiggrin:

With the exception of Adelaide the waters not the problem, its what lives in it...

Also, Canberra rocks!!! He should come here and see our.... er.... War Memorial?

The War Memorial is meant to be one of the best in the world though, if hes interested in that kind of stuff.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-10, 10:01 PM
With the exception of Adelaide the waters not the problem, its what lives in it...

Also, Canberra rocks!!! He should come here and see our.... er.... War Memorial?

The War Memorial is meant to be one of the best in the world though, if hes interested in that kind of stuff.

Questacon!

Serpentine
2009-10-10, 11:01 PM
What shold he know about Sydney/Perth that no one else can tell him?Sydney AND Perth? What's he doing here? :smallconfused: He is aware that they're on completely opposite sides of the country, which is also a whole continent, right? I'm sure he is, but you hear stories... :smalleek:

I don't know anything about Perth, except that one of the greatest live music venues in Australia is/was there, and was shut down/in danger of shutting down.

Sydney, I guess I can help a bit as "someone who is also just a visitor"...

Beaches: The beaches outside of Sydney are infinitely better than the ones in Sydney. However, they're also less likely to be patrolled. If he's travelling, I recommend around Coffs Harbour/Sawtell, but there's beautiful places all the way along the coast. Avoid swimming on your own (even if you have to ask a bunch of strangers if you can swim with them), and NEVER swim on your own if there's no lifeguard. Do some research into ocean dangers, how to recognise rips and the like.
Also, our sand squeaks. I'm told it's because it's so fine and/or clean, and we're one of the few countries in the world in which it does. Tell him to make note of that.
Don't touch spiky things, or octopusses with blue rings on them (or any, to be extra-safe). Don't swim near oysters - I still have scars on my thighs from just brushing some. There's lots of wildlife walks around where he'd be able to get more information on that sort of thing, if he's interested.
If he goes fishing, check the license and catch limit laws in the area. I'm sure any bait shop would have all that information handy. Learn which ones are spiky - flathead and bream have a couple of spikes that can hurt a lot, but catfish are really nasty. Crawling-to-the-emergency-room-in-horrendous-pain nasty. Probably tasty, though.
Rock-hopping and rock-fishing are fun, but be very careful. Unexpected waves can and do kill.

Attractions: There's heaps of "Australiana" type shops all over Sydney, especially the touristy areas. They are really, really tacky. If you wanna get tacky gifts or whatever, fair enough (they can be fun), but they're generally pretty poor quality. National Geographic shops are better, but really there's plenty of places all over the place for gifts and other stuff.
I'm sure there's a heap of museums around the place, but I can only really remember the Australian Museum near Central, and the Aquarium and Maritime Museum (near Circular Quay? Or Darling Harbour?). I think they're really good, though the Museum's a bit small. I'd like to work there someday...
Taronga Zoo is incredible. I love that place... Catch a ferry over, then ride the sky car thingy back. Leave a full day for it. Then maybe track down the book Taronga, a post-apocalyptic sci-fi fantasy in which the Zoo's one of the last bastions of "civilisation" :smallbiggrin:
You can pay to climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge, but it's really expensive. Probably good to do if you have the money, but don't worry about it too much.
If you're lucky, Lunar Park might be open. It seems pretty sporadic.
Shopping, yada yada yada.
Outside of Sydney, it depends how far he wants to go, and what he wants to do. In the Blue Mountains, for example, there's nice smaller towns, bushwalking, the Three Sisters, and so on. There's Big Things (can't remember which ones are near Sydney), and wildlife, and wildlife parks. Oh! The Reptile Park! I've never been there, though I want to. It's a bit north of Sydney. Wineries, horse rides...

Safety etc: Take normal precautions against mugging. Friend of mine got bashed for his stuff in Sydney. It's just a normal big city...
If he's here in summer, it will be hot. Forecasts are saying it's gonna be one of, if not the, hottest summers to date. Wear cool clothes, drink plenty of water, if you're walking everywhere avoid doing it in the middle of the day, etc. Also sunscreen, plaster on the sunscreen. And hat. And sunnies. Slip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAu5wCTEBt0) Slop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzYHwzSE1VY) Slap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7juelCXC1-k), 11 Til 3 Sit Under a Tree and all that jazz.

Um... That's all I can think of for now.

Fostire
2009-10-10, 11:38 PM
Don't touch spiky things, or octopusses with blue rings on them (or any, to be extra-safe). Don't swim near oysters - I still have scars on my thighs from just brushing some. There's lots of wildlife walks around where he'd be able to get more information on that sort of thing, if he's interested.

In other words: Don't touch anything that looks like it might be alive or may have recently been alive. Not even if it looks completely harmless.

Serpentine
2009-10-10, 11:43 PM
Where's the fun in that?

Hm. I just had an epiphany. I'm getting bored of this "EVERYTHING IN AUSTRALIA WILL DESTROY YOU!" joke. Not that you can't still find it funny, dear reader, I'm just a bit over it.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-11, 12:07 AM
Where's the fun in that?

Hm. I just had an epiphany. I'm getting bored of this "EVERYTHING IN AUSTRALIA WILL DESTROY YOU!" joke. Not that you can't still find it funny, dear reader, I'm just a bit over it.

You need to find some tourists to freak out. I used to live in a tourist trap in Albany, striking primal fear into the hearts of tourists was one of the only things to do. If you weren't into underage drinking/drugs or hooning, anyway.

Felixaar
2009-10-11, 01:33 AM
Is he coming to melbourne? Because if so, I have a futon, presuming he isnt a murderer of some sort.

I'm not, either.

Oh, and he should try to visit a Jester's Pies whilst in Sydney.

Also, I'm going hiking in Tasmania early December - if his itinerary is flexible, the more the merrier.

Everywhere else is generally awesome. PM me if you want to take me up on any of the offers above.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-11, 04:22 AM
Tin Soldier is on York Street, not George and you can buy OOTS comics there. They have gaming nights on Thursdays in the shop. They have lots of minis.

Also on that street is the sci-fi bookshop Galaxies, a geek's paradise.

On Liverpool street is Games Paradise, more OOTS comics and lots of boardgames, gaming books (more than Tin Soldier) and dice.

If he is going to Circular Quay, look out for the ibises.

Moonshadow
2009-10-11, 04:50 AM
Don't go near the roos, they can kill you. And Wombats are angry and immovable like mountains. Platypi look adorable but will also kill you, stay away from long grass due to snakes, watch out for spiders (though the lifebars are dead giveaways)

Oh, and watch out for the people definately. they're the most dangerous of all creatures you'll find.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-11, 04:51 AM
Is he coming to melbourne? Because if so, I have a futon, presuming he isnt a murderer of some sort.

I'm not, either.

Oh, and he should try to visit a Jester's Pies whilst in Sydney.

The Jester's near me closed down. :C

I miss you and your +2 overpriced pastries of deliciousness, Jesters.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-10-11, 05:34 AM
watch out for spiders (though the lifebars are dead giveaways)

Pfeh. The biggest ones, the huntsmans, are completely harmless and kinda cute really.

Roc Ness
2009-10-11, 05:46 AM
You guys should wait for New Years... the fireworks are probably the best in the world...

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-11, 05:55 AM
You probably haven't ever been to the Netherlands at Old/New years then.:smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2009-10-11, 06:04 AM
I think China would have something to say about that...
Still, the stuff they do with the Sydney Harbour Bridge at New Year's is pretty cool.

horngeek
2009-10-11, 06:10 AM

Australia has the best opera house in the WORLD.

The outside is in Sydney, and the inside's in melbourne. :smalltongue:

On spiders: if it makes a traditional spider's web, it won't actually kill if it bites (except for the neck or something). If it lives in the ground, STAY AWAY! :smalleek:

And the ever awesome avvie maker Serp is right: the stuff done with the Bridge is quite the awesome.

Lioness
2009-10-11, 06:15 AM
Nothing wrong with Adelaide's water...that I know of, anyway.

Melbourne is more awesome than all of the other cities, because the public transport system actually works.

Sydney is alright...just like Adelaide's big (really big!) brother. Same sort of...I dunno...feel, I guess.

Never been to Perth. No comment.

St.Sinner
2009-10-11, 08:12 AM
So we (the rest of the family) decided to make him a book so he has something to remember us by.

Haha, you make it sound as though Australia is going to swallow him up and you'll never see him again!

http://invasiveinfection.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/health_bar_spider.jpg

Never mind that, he's harmless. This is the one you have to watch out for:
http://www.calacademy.org/exhibits/venoms/images/00_final/sydney_funnel_web_spider.jpg
The funnel-web spider; it's quite venomous and lives only in Sydney and the immediate vicinity. They don't typically come into houses. They like moist areas, so don't go turning over rocks, and take care when you're around damp leafy grounds, campsites, and pools of water.

The Western Suburbs of Sydney have higher crime rates and are where you're most likely to get mugged; but there are no touristy spots in those areas, so I doubt your brother will be spending any time there. The city proper and the Eastern and Northern suburbs are largely safe. Just exercise general common sense - don't flash cash around, avoid walking alone in the dead of the night, don't get so plastered that you can't see straight, etc. - stuff that applies everywhere. If there's one part of the city you might want to avoid, it's King's Cross. The rest of the city's pretty alright.

The popular tourist beaches are patrolled, but only during certain hours. Make sure there is a lifeguard on duty before swimming. There are some gorgeous, lesser-known beaches in Sydney that are well worth visiting, but not for swimming in. I recommend taking a trip to the Royal National Park if possible. There are beautiful wild beaches, paths for hiking, and remote coastal trails - the only problem is that it's really, really difficult to access via public transport.

In late October there's an event called Sculpture by the Sea, where artists display their works alongside the coast from Coogee beach to Bondi beach. Up near Manly they do some nice dolphin cruises, though I'm not sure if it's the right time of the year for dolphins.

If he likes seafood, the Sydney Fish Market is the place to get some lovely fresh stuff - the fresh salmon and oysters are superb. Calamari and chips is another one to try. Also, most of the top restaurants in Australia are within the Sydney metro area. Tetsuya's, Est, Bilson's are the ones I can think of that have 3 Hats (the Australian equivalent of Michelin Stars), and are worth checking out, if you're prepared to pay 3 Hat prices.

Summer is usually very hot, but there are some days when it can suddenly turn cold, so be prepared for unpredictable weather.

If he sees me in the street, tell him to wave!

Shades of Gray
2009-10-11, 08:14 AM
You guys should wait for New Years... the fireworks are probably the best in the world...

I'm pretty sure it wasn't New Years, but there's this amazing annual fireworks show in Italy. It lasts throughout the night, and their fireworks are amazing, shooting off and exploding into different shapes and whatnot. It gets pretty crowded though.

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-11, 04:28 PM
In Sydney the bridge is the star attraction on New Years, I always miss it when I am spenidn New Years in another city, like the year I was in Melbourne.

Roc Ness
2009-10-11, 10:21 PM
I think China would have something to say about that...

Do you mean Chinese New Year? The only ones I've ever seen are the ones in the news that are broadcasted from Chinatown, which is a shame I suppose as I'm actually Chinese.

The fact that I spent my entire life in Australia and consider myself Australian probably didn't help that.

Serpentine
2009-10-11, 10:25 PM
China in general. They invented them, for starters, and for seconds, they had the largest ever display for their anniversary celebration.

Yarram
2009-10-11, 11:08 PM
On previously said things:
Yeah, the everything kills you joke is pretty old for me... Surprisingly little kills you actually... The creatures that do are very, very rare... Try not to be bitten by redback spiders though... I've been bitten once (which is uncommon) on my back and my goodness it hurt for a couple of days. Other than that, I didn't need to go to the hospital or anything, because unless you're bitten several times, you're pretty safe.
One of my neighbors told me a story about how there was a family of real derelicts that lived near them when they lived out in the bush, to the point that all of the children had natural dreadlocks because they didn't look after their hair. One of the children complained of frequent headaches at one stage, and was taken to the hairdressers to get his hair cut, and while he did, the hairdresser screamed and backed away, because she had found an entire nest of baby red-back spiders that were biting him periodically. I'm sure if he survived anyone else can.
If he is bitten by a trap-door or funnelweb spider however, or if he doesn't know what bit him, then going to the hospital is advised... (As should snake bites... There is loads more to this, but it requires a first Aid course, not a forum.)
Wow I can go on a bit can't I?
On Australian Animals. There are basically no natural Mammal predators in Australia apart from Tasmanian Devils, Tasmanian Tigers (now extinct) and Dingo's I've never seen apart from in the zoo anyway. Despite this, touching a wild animal is the same as touching one anywhere else. Get too close to the cat and it scratches you and the horse kicks you.

Yeah and what Katana said.:smallredface: It's either parallel or perpendicular to George Street anyway. :smallyuk:

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-11, 11:15 PM
One of my neighbors told me a story about how there was a family of real derelicts that lived near them when they lived out in the bush, to the point that all of the children had natural dreadlocks because they didn't look after their hair. One of the children complained of frequent headaches at one stage, and was taken to the hairdressers to get his hair cut, and while he did, the hairdresser screamed and backed away, because she had found an entire nest of baby red-back spiders that were biting him periodically. I'm sure if he survived anyone else can.

I've heard that story too, Yarram, but it was about a cheerleader with a beehive.

It's one block from George street and paralell.

Yarram
2009-10-11, 11:28 PM
I've heard that story too, Yarram, but it was about a cheerleader with a beehive.

That story sounds... So much cooler than my own. 'Cept I'm pretty sure that mine is true because it was an assosciate of a friend, rather than a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend read a newspaper article written by an international tourist... Does Australia even have cheerleaders? It's such a weird culture.

loopy
2009-10-11, 11:30 PM
That story sounds... So much cooler than my own. 'Cept I'm pretty sure that mine is true because it was an assosciate of a friend, rather than a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend read a newspaper article written by an international tourist... Does Australia even have cheerleaders? It's such a weird culture.

We do, my friend Amanda is one. :smallsmile:

Katana_Geldar
2009-10-11, 11:46 PM

Yes, but that is immaterial. Heard it on here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freaky_Stories) that was a nice little program on the ABC.

Violet Octopus
2009-10-12, 06:06 PM
Canberra has arcane symbology incorporated into the city geography. Creepy.

Melbourne is a lot easier to navigate than Sydney, and is a much nicer place. The weather is erratic though.

In Sydney, the more "alternative" areas are mostly in the Inner West, starting from Newtown and Glebe. If your friend wants a cheap meal, the Hare Krishnas serve from a van outside the Newtown Neighbourhood Centre most days around 6pm. They're elsewhere in Sydney, but I don't know where. Generally Newtown is quite good for cheap food, as it's adjacent to Sydney University.

The Museum of Contemporary Art at Circular Quay is free, and is next to The Rocks, which is great for romanticised versions of colonial history/tacky souvenirs.

If he is bitten by a trap-door or funnelweb spider however, or if he doesn't know what bit him, then going to the hospital is advised... (As should snake bites... There is loads more to this, but it requires a first Aid course, not a forum.)
Don't wash off the bite, so hospitals can identify the venom.

And blue-ringed octopuses don't show their blue rings unless threatened. They just look like small brown octopuses otherwise.

But yes, living here my whole life I've seen only a handful of snakes, and one funnel web (which I tried to eat...I was one :smallredface:). It's also quite rare for a healthy adult to die from venomous creatures here.

+1 on the sun advice.

Kalbron
2009-10-12, 07:19 PM
Melbourne is more awesome than all of the other cities, because the public transport system actually works.

This statement makes me weep for the rest of the nation, as Melbourne's public transport is still horrible and inefficient.

As for the "Everything will kill you" jokes, yes, it may be a bit overdone, but in typical Australian style, it's not entirely a joke. While very few things will actually kill you, there are a ton of things that will seriously mess you up for a week/month/lifetime, so as always when dealing with local wildlife for your own safety be careful!

No seriously, the roos are not good for patting unless they're in a wildlife park and used to humans. It takes all of a few seconds for them to stand on their tails and kick you so hard you'll wish you'd never come to Australia.

St.Sinner
2009-10-13, 12:27 AM
Canberra has arcane symbology incorporated into the city geography. Creepy.

Really? Maybe we could get Dan Brown to write his next novel on it then.

Melbourne is a lot easier to navigate than Sydney, and is a much nicer place.

Bollocks.

Seonor
2009-10-13, 12:44 AM
Ok, first things first:

THANK YOU ALL!

That was really helpful and I have enough material for more than double the space I need to fill. I wont answer to each post because I'm rather busy right now, but I just want to tell you all that you are awesome.

Felixaar
2009-10-13, 12:56 AM

That's one theory :smallconfused:

Anuan
2009-10-13, 01:34 AM
The other theory would be 'because Felix and Anuan will be living there together.'

Serpentine
2009-10-13, 04:22 AM
Hawt :smallwink:

TO THE SHIPPING THREAD!

...someone else.

Anuan
2009-10-13, 04:29 AM
...Excuse me whilst I go and drink bleach whilst washing my brain in sulphuric acid.

Lioness
2009-10-13, 06:03 AM
That's one theory :smallconfused:

Well, it works better than Adelaide's, at least. We went to Melbourne on holidays and were actually able to conveniently get places (and we stayed 40 mins drive from the city, only took us an hour by train)

Archonic Energy
2009-10-13, 06:16 AM
Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich

And he said, "I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover."

:smalltongue:

loopy
2009-10-13, 06:27 AM
Why would anyone want to hear or see men chundering? :smallconfused:

SoD
2009-10-13, 06:40 AM
On Australian Animals. There are basically no natural Mammal predators in Australia apart from Tasmanian Devils, Tasmanian Tigers (now extinct) and Dingo's I've never seen apart from in the zoo anyway. Despite this, touching a wild animal is the same as touching one anywhere else. Get too close to the cat and it scratches you and the horse kicks you.

However, like with many other things, there are a decent amount of people who beleive they aren't, and there's a few sightings a year.

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich

And he said, "I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover."

Oddly enough, this song plays more frequently in Finland than in Australia.

Also, to the OP; the best advice I can give is; come to the real Australia. The mainland. The bit down the bottom. Not the uninhabitable desolate northen island. The bit affectionatly known as 'Tassie'. We have the worlds third best beach.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-10-13, 07:09 AM
Why would anyone want to hear or see men chundering? :smallconfused:

It tends to result from the flowing beer, y'dig?

loopy
2009-10-13, 07:14 AM
It tends to result from the flowing beer, y'dig?

I'm a spirits man myself. Beer just does not agree with me.

Serpentine
2009-10-13, 07:20 AM
We have the worlds third best beach.Maybe, but it's too cold to enjoy it :smalltongue: