PDA

View Full Version : Nicotine

Myrmex
2009-10-12, 08:25 AM
I've got a problem with it.

Used to smoke when I drank, which is how I got addicted. It's a bummer smoking is so bad for you, because it's pretty cool. I liked blowing smoke out of my nose and pretending I was a dragon.

Then I started smoking when I was sober & stressed out, but I did my best to quit cause it made me feel really horrible.

So I picked up chewing. It's pretty gross, but the nicotine fix is there, it helps me cope, and I can still breathe afterwards.

Anyone else addicted?

Cristo Meyers
2009-10-12, 08:31 AM
Nigh on 7 years now...

...haven't actually had a cigarette in about 5, though. Kinda sucks finding myself unconsciously craving a smoke, but I guess it's better than the alternative...

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-12, 08:40 AM
It's a bummer smoking is so bad for you, because it's pretty cool.

no its not

after smoking for 4 years solid, i gave up cold turkey. 2 weeks of feeling bad, and i got over it. I miss the 'social' functions of it, and i will admit when im stressed i occasionally want a cigarette, but its just a matter of will power

almost 9 years on and i've not smoked a single day since

charl
2009-10-12, 08:41 AM
I am a big time nicotine addict. I don't smoke though, I use snus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus), and lots of it. I have one in at all times, except when eating.

Can't stand smoking, except when I'm drunk.

Cristo Meyers
2009-10-12, 08:42 AM
no its not

after smoking for 4 years solid, i gave up cold turkey. 2 weeks of feeling bad, and i got over it. I miss the 'social' functions of it, and i will admit when im stressed i occasionally want a cigarette, but its just a matter of will power

2 weeks seems to be the tipping point where the cravings are at their worst. Once you can get past that it's more or less downhill from there.

charl
2009-10-12, 08:44 AM
Last time I went without snus for a day (while in the Netherlands, stupid EU anti-snus laws) I started hallucinating.

Myrmex
2009-10-12, 09:03 AM
no its not

I've always been something of a pyro, so smoking was more of an aesthetic thing for me. The sensation of eating fire is really, really cool.

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-12, 09:28 AM
2 weeks seems to be the tipping point where the cravings are at their worst. Once you can get past that it's more or less downhill from there.

the physical addiction to smoking last 6-7 days... after that its all psychological. So i guess you could be right about the 2 week thing

I've always been something of a pyro, so smoking was more of an aesthetic thing for me. The sensation of eating fire is really, really cool.

still - unless you are james dean reborn, smoking is not, and never will be cool

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-12, 09:34 AM
Why eat fire? Just set other things on fire.

God I love fire.

littlequietguy
2009-10-12, 10:44 AM
no its not

He said he can breathe smoke like a dragon! Is any of this getting through to you? I breathed smoke once but it wasn't from a cigarette and there were no harmful effects. Best. Lab. Ever.

Achilles
2009-10-12, 10:50 AM
I started smoking when I was in high school. A "cool kid" offered me a cigarette and I accepted. We were really stoned. I smoked for several years until I one day I just didn't want to smoke. Then the next day I didn't want to smoke and so on until I had quit.

I still smoke them on occasion with friends if alcohol is involved, but that's maybe 2 or 3 a month, so it's not too bad.

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-12, 11:08 AM
Oh, ok. So... why did you accept it?

Achilles
2009-10-12, 11:14 AM
I was stoned and you don't think clearly. I was a freshman hanging out with a senior, of course I want him to like me, so I took it. I also thought it made me look cool and I liked the buzz, but all and all, I'm soooo glad I (mostly) quit.

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-12, 11:21 AM
Wait, you were stoned? Why?

Achilles
2009-10-12, 11:23 AM
Pretty much the same reason as I started smoking cigarettes. But it's also pretty dang fun.

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-12, 11:25 AM
That makes sense... Good luck with that. :smallbiggrin:

Trog
2009-10-12, 01:20 PM
*Wanders in puffing on a Coffin Nail™ Brand cigarette as usual.*

So... er... Trog feels compelled to interject here.

*Sets the cigarette down on the edge of a table then fiddles with something on his neck. Suddenly his chest splits open a little and with a heave Trog's head pops off revealing a guy with a bald head and an anchor-type beard*

Hi. I'm not a smoker but I play one on GitP. My character of Trog (as indicated in my posts by the brown text above) is a smoker and a drinker and exhibits all kinds of nasty habits primarily for the sake of poking fun at those habits. Primarily I characterize him in ways that help to reinforce the concept of the word troglodyte - meaning he usually acts badly.

As to my feelings on the subject of smoking I think a comedian said it best:

Comedian: "Hey, buddy could you put that thing out." :smallannoyed:
Smoker: "Oh, is my smoking bothering you?"
Comedian: "Yeah it is."
Smoker: "Well you're drinking and that doesn't bother me... so why don't you get over it and mind your own business?" :smallannoyed:
Comedian: "Oh gee you're right. Tell you what. I'll just keep drinking and you just keep smoking then." *Takes a drink and then spews it into the air as a mist at the smoker*
Comedian: I'm sorry, is my drinking bothering you? :smallamused:

*zips up the Trog costume and reattaches the head*

Whoa. Trog must have blacked out there for a second. Clearly that indicates Trog needs to drink even more. *Picks up the cigarette and stumbles towards the exit, stage left, leaving little clouds of grey smoke behind him*

charl
2009-10-12, 01:44 PM
I would like to see all governments do what Brazil does and put pictures of diseased lungs, rotting teeth and mangled genitalia on cigarette packs. You know, show the children what really happens when you smoke too much. That would put them off it for sure.

Actually, they should put pictures like that in anti-smoking propaganda as well. It would be much more effective than just showcasing statistics.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-12, 01:54 PM
I would like to see all governments do what Brazil does and put pictures of diseased lungs, rotting teeth and mangled genitalia on cigarette packs. You know, show the children what really happens when you smoke too much. That would put them off it for sure.

Actually, they should put pictures like that in anti-smoking propaganda as well. It would be much more effective than just showcasing statistics.

you should have seen these one commercials here in the US. When I still regularly watched TV they had a commercial of somebody squeezing the residue out of a dead person's removed lungs from smoking. it was sickening. There was also one with a brain and I think the person had a stroke. I changed the channel ASAP because the last commercial was disgusting.

I actually don't smoke and don't intend to. may eventually have a drink or two but that's about all.

I also remember another commercial with a catchy song. Tough love's the best love of all the love there is. It's what we get from the big tobbaco biz. their products may maim us and leave us for Dead! but it's just love, tough love, so get it through your head! Arsenic's been in cigarette smoke for fifty years or longer! but you know the drill. What does it kill? it only makes you stronger! Kids keep losing their moms and dads it makes you want to cry! but nothing builds your character like watching a loved one die! Tough love's the best love of all the love their is. it's what we get from the big tobacco biz. Their products may maim us and leave us for dead! but it's just love tough love so get it through your head.

also. Why would you call your cigarettes "coffin nails"?

Adlan
2009-10-12, 02:07 PM

You'd think that wouldn't you? But people still buy ciggies over here in the UK, where all Cigarette packets have big images saying 'smoking kills' and pictures of the disgusting things that it can give you.

I don't smoke Cigarette's anymore, but I'm partial to the occasional small cigar, or pipe. I don't like to inhale the tobacco smoke as you do with ****, but it is a pleasent activity to do with your thoughts. Sucks it gives you mouth cancer.

I used to carry around a packet of straights, to give to hot girls when they asked for a smoke, good way of starting a conversation. I don't do it now because it was kinda expensive, and I have other ways of starting a conversation now. My EDC lighter still comes in useful though, for the same purpose.

charl
2009-10-12, 02:17 PM
You'd think that wouldn't you? But people still buy ciggies over here in the UK, where all Cigarette packets have big images saying 'smoking kills' and pictures of the disgusting things that it can give you.

It's not so much to stop people already smoking from doing it. It's to stop young people from ever taking up the habit in the first place.

Though those scare tactics don't work with other drugs so... Still, can't hurt.

Trog
2009-10-12, 02:18 PM
also. Why would you call your cigarettes "coffin nails"?
See number 1 and number 2. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=coffin+nail) :smallwink:

Erothayce
2009-10-12, 02:30 PM
I don't smoke cigarettes but I really enjoy cigars and cigarillos. And I doubt I will ever stop smoking those. I have the occasional clove cigarette because I like the taste but I never inhale. I hate chewing so much. Having a stepdad who chews and leaves bottles full of chew spit everywhere if pretty gross.

Adlan
2009-10-12, 02:46 PM
It's not so much to stop people already smoking from doing it. It's to stop young people from ever taking up the habit in the first place.

You never experienced people doing something becuase it's considered 'bad' or macabre, or dangerous?

Kids still take up smoking. Those signs were on cigarette's when I started, and I know lots of people who've started once the gory pictures were put on them. I do know of people who quit because they couldn't bear the images, but now the shock has worn off, it's not so effective.

loopy
2009-10-12, 02:52 PM
I got started when a pretty girl offered me one at a rave. Lots of smoking happens at raves, people looking for reasons to start a conversation.

So I started smoking when munted, about 5 a month. Noticed it slowly creeping upwards, so I pretty much stopped.

Two notes:
-I'm incapable of looking cool when smoking.
-Smoking hookah's are awesome.

The Extinguisher
2009-10-12, 02:53 PM
I enjoy smoking. It's stress relieving, it's cool and makes me feel relaxed. I only smoke once a day, sometimes even less.

I don't care what happens to my body, you only live once, and if someone I'm hanging out with doesn't want me to smoke, I'll stop. I'm not a jerk.

J.Gellert
2009-10-12, 02:59 PM
Can't stand smoke, in fact, I sometimes choke if I'm downwind of a lit cigarette, even if there's 5-10 meters distance... I mean choke. I can't finish my sentence, because I have to cut short the words to breathe.

Obviously, I'm quite uncomfortable in places where many smokers gather (usually when we go out to watch a football game at a cafe).

I know I am never going to smoke. However, I am very sad that people I care for do; especially people who I consider very clever, and in fact usually make all the right choices... I wish I could really help them quit.

charl
2009-10-12, 03:19 PM
You never experienced people doing something becuase it's considered 'bad' or macabre, or dangerous?

I'm sort of a drug addict and alcoholic, so yeah... I have.

I still think we should put as much deterrent as possible on cigarettes. It won't stop everyone, but like I said it can't hurt.

Chunklets
2009-10-12, 03:59 PM

They did that here in Canada, and people simply started collecting the different pictures! :smallconfused:

Anyway, I've been a smoker for a long time (on and off, mostly on), and I do very much wish that I had never started. My lungs and my bank account concur...

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-12, 04:03 PM
I was stoned and you don't think clearly. I was a freshman hanging out with a senior, of course I want him to like me, so I took it. I also thought it made me look cool and I liked the buzz, but all and all, I'm soooo glad I (mostly) quit.

Woah woah woah, I just read the entire post. I'm not thinking clearly? Atleast i'm not doing drugs and smoking so the popular kids hang out with me, you're right, I should think clearly.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-10-12, 04:18 PM
As an asthmatic I have very strong feelings on the subject, but I'm pretty sure I can't articulate them without asterisks.

Suffice to say if, in calm air, I go within a 3-5 metre radius I transform from myself into HORK HACK GAHK GOHK HORK. Upwind is more like one metre but downwind is closer to eight.

And there are people who, knowing this, will continue to blow smoke into my face.

Kneenibble
2009-10-12, 04:31 PM
(CrimsonAngel, I think Achilles was using the narrative 2nd person there, not addressing you directly: i.e., when one is stoned one does not think clearly, as opposed to "you, CrimsonAngel, are not thinking clearly")

It is a shame about the negative effects of smoking because it's really just so much fun to breathe and play with smoke. The act of smoking is satisfying and fun. Ordinary cigarettes are stale shake adulterated with garbage, so I'd never touch 'em (I think that has as much to do with their consequences as the inherent properties of smoking). I love a nice cigar or a pipe like Mr. Adlan when I can afford 'em -- I have a friend with a really sweet pipe who obliges me now and again. Also, maybe once a year, two years I'll pick up a package of clove cigarettes and suck them back over the course of a week, because they taste and smell sooo amazing. Plus... it's a black cigarette.

I'm against legislation banning tobacco use, but I'm for harm reduction, self-control, and treating this sacred powerful herb with the respect it deserves, which no manufacturer of crap commercial cigarettes gives it.

The Extinguisher
2009-10-12, 05:02 PM
As an asthmatic I have very strong feelings on the subject, but I'm pretty sure I can't articulate them without asterisks.

Suffice to say if, in calm air, I go within a 3-5 metre radius I transform from myself into HORK HACK GAHK GOHK HORK. Upwind is more like one metre but downwind is closer to eight.

And there are people who, knowing this, will continue to blow smoke into my face.

On jerk does not an entire group describe.

:smallannoyed:

Helanna
2009-10-12, 05:47 PM

Of course, anyone who smokes for any length of time acquires a general smell of smoke, which can also be irritating. Not to mention that if they smoke in the house, the house becomes impossible to stay in for anyone who can't stand smoke.

So yeah . . . I hate it when people smoke in public. I can't stand being near a smoker, and I don't even have asthma or allergies. I know people who do can have severe trouble when people smoke around them. And yeah, you can ask them to put it out, but a lot of people will refuse and sometimes it's already too late. At least if someone smokes in their house, you have the option to simply not go to their house.

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-12, 05:48 PM
My mom has this wierd reaction to smoke.. my grandma smokes, so we can't realy visit her much...

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-12, 06:06 PM
I love smoking, but only do it socially. I agree with the fire=fun thing.

I also like to eat matches, and have set myself on fire on multiple occasions.

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-12, 06:12 PM
Dude you're on fire!

Thanks, man.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-10-12, 06:19 PM

"One"? You, my good sir, are highly mistaken.

Solaris
2009-10-12, 06:20 PM
no its not

Good.

I work in a profession where just about everyone smokes or dips. I'm one of maybe four guys out of a hundred who don't use tobacco. I've gotten used to smoke by necessity - riding around in a vehicle for twelve hours with guys chain-smoking does that to you and no, no they don't care that I don't smoke.
That said, it usually gets me out of police calls. Hee.

Crimmy
2009-10-12, 06:47 PM
By the way, not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but:

Nicotine is in fact a poison.

The amount in one cig is indeed, too small to kill, but one drop is enough to do the job in about 5 minutes.

So DON't DO IT KIDS!!!

Solaris
2009-10-12, 06:52 PM

The amount in one cig is indeed, too small to kill, but one drop is enough to do the job in about 5 minutes.

So DON't DO IT KIDS!!!

Do more of it, kids!
... Nobody ever accused me of being altruistic.

Catch
2009-10-12, 07:22 PM
It is a shame about the negative effects of smoking because it's really just so much fun to breathe and play with smoke. The act of smoking is satisfying and fun. Ordinary cigarettes are stale shake adulterated with garbage, so I'd never touch 'em (I think that has as much to do with their consequences as the inherent properties of smoking). I love a nice cigar or a pipe like Mr. Adlan when I can afford 'em -- I have a friend with a really sweet pipe who obliges me now and again. Also, maybe once a year, two years I'll pick up a package of clove cigarettes and suck them back over the course of a week, because they taste and smell sooo amazing. Plus... it's a black cigarette.

I'm against legislation banning tobacco use, but I'm for harm reduction, self-control, and treating this sacred powerful herb with the respect it deserves, which no manufacturer of crap commercial cigarettes gives it.

Sophisticated tastes from a sophisticated gentleman. I approve.

I'm sorry to say, but smoking does, in fact, make you cooler. (The additive modifier is important to note, because if you're not cool in the first place, roguish habits will only detract from your middling appearance.) I've stopped myself - not quit in the definitive sense, because that implies I was addicted in the first place - because it's cost-prohibitive and my current girlfriend is allergic to smoke.

Kneenibble makes a good point that smoking is an enjoyable act when you're not psychologically compelled, and it can often be a social experience, in settings like a cigar lounge or hookah bar. Plus, if you're young and live in an urban area, smoking makes for an easy conversation starter. People are always asking for a light or to bum a cigarette, especially outside bars, and it's a no-pressure low-key way to just talk to people who might be interesting.

A friend of mine picked up the habit again after working full time in a downtown service job, because smoking was an excuse to take five minutes to clear his head and get away from the line. Most managers understand, and will excuse you during a lull in business, but it's harder to get a break like that if you don't have a good reason.

Regular cigarettes are usually garbage, though, which is why when I'm stressed I hesitate before picking up a cheap pack of Parliaments or something. Years ago, I smoked Nat Shermans, which don't have any additives, and they used to carry a brand for menthol smokers with mint crystals rolled into the tobacco. Like any classy brand, however, they were flagrantly expensive. Probably what kept me from developing a dependency.

Also, as far as antipathy toward smokers and apathy toward non-smokers is concerned, standard rules of courtesy apply. That is, respect people's choices, but if they're a prick about it, shove it in their face.

Crimmy
2009-10-12, 07:41 PM
*snip.*

Also, as far as antipathy toward smokers and apathy toward non-smokers is concerned, standard rules of courtesy apply. That is, respect people's choices, but if they're a prick about it, shove it in their face.

I approve. It's, indeed, the only way to live with/without it.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-10-12, 08:34 PM
Smoking is better for you than what I see people at my gaming shop doing.
Seriously, guy walks in with a box of twinkies and some books. Sits down and starts rolling up a character for Exalted. An hour later he went and got another box, and then commented on how my smoking was a disgusting habit and it would kill me.

I gave him a nice little lecture on life span and calories and regular exercise and why in a decade I would at least still be alive.

I smoke, I love it, and I love my menthols. Give me menthols, or give me a nice cigar!

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-12, 08:46 PM
I like being around people who are smoking. I enjoy the smell, like gasoline or woodsmoke or black powder. Although the smell of chain smokers or smoker's apartment's is unpleasant.

I also use cigarettes to punish my lungs when they are being insolent. I do the same thing to my liver.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-10-12, 08:51 PM
I like being around people who are smoking. I enjoy the smell, like gasoline or woodsmoke or black powder. Although the smell of chain smokers or smoker's apartment's is unpleasant.

I also use cigarettes to punish my lungs when they are being insolent. I do the same thing to my liver.

My friends mom is a chain smoker, and their house reeks.
Seriously, the boy could shower for six hours and put on new clothes, and he'd still smell of it.
Me, I carry fine smelling body sprays so that people generally don't have to smell me when I'm done.

Achilles
2009-10-12, 09:16 PM
Woah woah woah, I just read the entire post. I'm not thinking clearly? Atleast i'm not doing drugs and smoking so the popular kids hang out with me, you're right, I should think clearly.

That came out wrong, I didn't mean to say you're not thinking clearly. What I meant is drugs don't make people think clearly. I didn't reread and I see how you took it wrong.

charl
2009-10-13, 04:04 AM

So DON't DO IT KIDS!!!

All drugs are in fact poisons. It's just a matter of dose.

As for nicotine, well one cigarette does in fact contain enough to kill a man, but not if you smoke it. You can ingest a lethal amount if you eat it though. The heat from smoking destroys most of the nicotine.

So don't eat cigarettes if you want to live.

Elm11
2009-10-13, 05:59 AM
I suppose, as i generally, i'm extremely strongly opposed to smoking, and the companies that create ciggarettes and tobacco in general, but i have very little against smokers. The smell of ciggarette smoke makes me feel sick, but it's not normally impossible for me to avoid, and if i'm walking past someone who is smoking, i just hold my breath. As for the warning labels, i'm not sure they would deter me from smoking, but i've done alot of research into it's effects, and school programs have done their job in highlighting it's various dangers. I know that i'll not smoke (unless something goes severely wrong), but it's not my choice whether other people smoke, and it's not my job to go around insulting them for the choices they've made. Of course, i'd wish all of them that want to the best of luck in breaking the habit.

Other than that, i don't have all that much against cigars/ pipe smoking. Mostly because neither of those are cheap, toxic things made on some dodgy production queue, and aren't a colossal threat to your health, though i'd probably steer clear of them anyway.

SoD
2009-10-13, 06:05 AM
I refuse to smoke sober. I occasionally have one or two whilst drunk, but flat out refuse them while sober. Why? Because I know I'm weak willed, and will get hooked really easily. I don't like the fact I subconciously breathe deeper while around, or even walking past, a smoker. I also don't like the fact I enjoy the smell of the smoke.

Edit; I would love a pipe though. Just for the look.

Ecalsneerg
2009-10-13, 08:20 AM

Young person here. (Well, 18).

Yeah, the pictures don't work.

loopy
2009-10-13, 08:24 AM
Young person here. (Well, 18).

Yeah, the pictures don't work.

Not even enough to stop the 13-14 year old girls at my former youth group.

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-13, 08:56 AM
I last smoked around December 2000. I haven't had one since, although since the girl I've been pursuing lately is a smoker(at least 1 a day, as many as 4 per that I've observed), I've found myself hanging out with her just to get that mixture of whatever body scent she's using, mixed with smoke. Also "enjoying" her secondhand smoke(don't seem to cough as much as I would have if it came from someone else). And weird fantasies of kissing her just to suck the smoke out of her lungs to make her stop. I'll shut up now.:smallredface:

Ninja Chocobo
2009-10-13, 09:00 AM
and why in a decade I would at least still be alive.

Maybe not you but it'll sure as hell kill me.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-10-13, 12:19 PM
Maybe not you but it'll sure as hell kill me.

Just take care of your body and don't smoke a pack a day.

Heck, the guy who owns the game shop I frequent is 72, and had been smoking a pack a day since he was 12, it even turned into two packs a day by the time he was 35!
Smoking is a dangerous thing, this is true. But taking care of yourself increases your longevity whilst doing so.
My mother's father, stepfather, and stepmother all chain smoked. None of them took care of themselves. Very poor diet, no exercise, dead by 55.

Also, American Spirit is good. They sell rolling tobacco and cigarettes, and none of their tobacco has any additives. Makes them taste terrible, but it's some good, smooth tobaky.

Adlan
2009-10-13, 12:41 PM
All drugs are in fact poisons. It's just a matter of dose.

As for nicotine, well one cigarette does in fact contain enough to kill a man, but not if you smoke it. You can ingest a lethal amount if you eat it though. The heat from smoking destroys most of the nicotine.

So don't eat cigarettes if you want to live.

Actually one of my major uses for nicotine is as a pesticide. Getting bitten by insects? Burn a Pinch of tobbacco, or smoke. Use the smoke to make clothing insect repellent.

charl
2009-10-13, 12:52 PM
Actually one of my major uses for nicotine is as a pesticide. Getting bitten by insects? Burn a Pinch of tobbacco, or smoke. Use the smoke to make clothing insect repellent.

That's because the small amount of nicotine that "survives" the heat is more than enough to repel insects (and give humans a small buzz).

Adlan
2009-10-13, 01:56 PM
I'm aware, I'm a chemist :D

Tobacco water is one of the best organic pesticides, Of course, it just so happens to be much more dangerous to your health than most synthetic pesticides. The reason the Tobacco plant produces nicotine is to repel insects.

Myrmex
2009-10-13, 02:18 PM
I'm sort of a drug addict and alcoholic, so yeah... I have.

I still think we should put as much deterrent as possible on cigarettes. It won't stop everyone, but like I said it can't hurt.

Actually, it CAN hurt. The stigmatization marijuana has in the US contributes to it being a gateway drug. When kids start smoking pot and realize it's not nearly as bad as all the bull**** authority figures made it out to be, they think "huh, maybe coke isn't so bad, either."

So DON't DO IT KIDS!!!

Lots of things are poisons.

Potato chips contain industrial waste, for instance.

I'm aware, I'm a chemist :D

Tobacco water is one of the best organic pesticides, Of course, it just so happens to be much more dangerous to your health than most synthetic pesticides. The reason the Tobacco plant produces nicotine is to repel insects.

Virtually all drugs that are derived from plants were evolved for the primary purpose as insect repellent.

zeratul
2009-10-13, 02:21 PM
I don't smoke cigs, but my guitarist/ one of my best friends smokes about half a pack a day at this point which worries me a little since hes only 17. I probably get exposed to lots of second hand smoke from hanging out with him and another friend of mine who's house is always full of smokers.

charl
2009-10-13, 02:55 PM
Actually, it CAN hurt. The stigmatization marijuana has in the US contributes to it being a gateway drug. When kids start smoking pot and realize it's not nearly as bad as all the bull**** authority figures made it out to be, they think "huh, maybe coke isn't so bad, either."

Except that in the case of cigarettes it would actually be true, rather than blatant lies.

loopy
2009-10-13, 03:08 PM

Same with a certain couple hundred people I know and ecstasy. Lots of people get told that ecstasy gives you about a fifty-fifty shot at an awesome night... or DEATH.

When people start hitting clubs or raves, and they find that many of the punters are, well... munted, with no ill-effects, a lot of the prior beliefs come tumbling down.

Hell, ecstasy is a gamble, thanks to zero regulation... But if you aren't stupid, the risks are pretty low.

Then people will wonder... "If ecstasy isn't as bad as they say... What about Pot? Speed? Acid? Cocaine?"

Which are the four most common drugs for people to bounce on to, in my experience.

Pot: "I heard it mellows you, and there are all those cool stoner movies!"
Speed: "I took it and danced aaaaaall night."
Acid: "Dude, is there a unicorn over your shoulder?" (the first thing one of my mates ever said to me)
Cocaine: "They always make it seem so cool in the movies..."

Not that I have any knowledge or experience in these matters... Nosiree! :smallamused:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-13, 03:35 PM
I can't stand people smoking near me. If you want to smoke, that's ok with me, it's your life. I'll try to get my loved ones to stop of course (not that it does any good with my parents), but everyone can do what they want; it's their life.

The main reason I can't stand people smoking near me is that at home both of my parents smoke. When ever they're smoking in the same room as me, I start coughing, hacking, and usually get a bad headache. It annoys me to no end.

I think it's sad that teens and kids can get tobacco so easily. The first girl I ever had a crush on, 14 or 15 now, told me that she smoked. I truthfully lost any respect I had for her at that point. I think it has more to do with the fact that she's smoking at such a young age rather than the fact that she's smoking, but still.

We must live in completely different locations. I've sat through dozens of anti-drug assemblies in school, and I still have to sit through four more years of them, and I think the most I've ever heard about marijuana is "It's bad. Don't do it." On the other hand, 95% of every assembly is about tobacco and alcohol. There may have been something about marijuana, but I seriously can't remember ever being told anything bad about it.

Myrmex
2009-10-13, 03:43 PM
Except that in the case of cigarettes it would actually be true, rather than blatant lies.

Inhalation of any smoke tends to be bad for you. Incomplete combustion of organics create aromatics that can intercalate with your DNA, making them potential oncogens.

Even then, it takes decades of smoking to notice the ill effects. Having a few cigarettes when you're young isn't going to immediately turn your insides to black mush.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-10-13, 04:14 PM
Just take care of your body and don't smoke a pack a day.

You misunderstand me.
I'm deathly allergic.
Your smoking will kill me.

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-13, 04:18 PM
You misunderstand me.
I'm deathly allergic.

Hey, atleast they might learn they're leason when you fall over and stop moving.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-10-13, 04:38 PM
You misunderstand me.
I'm deathly allergic.

If they don't stop after you ask kindly, punch them in the gut.

Hey, it was in self defense!

Catch
2009-10-13, 05:02 PM
You misunderstand me.
I'm deathly allergic.

And there are people who are deathly allergic to peanuts, to the point where eating a peanut product near them is warrant to reach for the epi-pen, but you don't see any ice cream shops with segregated "non-nut" seating. Or, if you're in Chicago, barring peanut-eaters from coming within 15 feet of a public building.

Like any highly-reactive allergy, a person ought to keep as much distance as is reasonable from the allergen, and require their friends to be compliant in that respect. But those people have no excuse to, when walking downtown, or in a smoking-permissive establishment, get up in a smoker's face (or as close as they can) and say, "Hey, some people are allergic to smoke, jerk." Though if someone won't respect your health, then go right ahead.

Anyway, your friends and family should be accommodating to your health concerns, but I'm not going to get angry at people with cats because they make me sneeze. Though that hasn't stopped me from being a cat person.

So it's not a perfect parallel.

The Extinguisher
2009-10-13, 07:19 PM
Catch, I would like to have your babies and/or subscribe to your newsletter.

Helanna
2009-10-13, 08:18 PM
And there are people who are deathly allergic to peanuts, to the point where eating a peanut product near them is warrant to reach for the epi-pen, but you don't see any ice cream shops with segregated "non-nut" seating. Or, if you're in Chicago, barring peanut-eaters from coming within 15 feet of a public building.

So, are you saying that you don't like anti public-smoking laws? :smallconfused:

Very little of the population is so allergic to peanuts that they don't dare get within ten feet of peanut products. But anyone with asthma or allergies can't be within twenty feet of a smoker if the wind is blowing the wrong way. While only a few people are affected by stray peanut dust, there are a LOT of people who will be strongly affected by smoke. So it makes sense to have anti-smoking laws, but not anti-peanut laws.

So . . . actually, that's also not a perfect parallel.

Edit:

But those people have no excuse to, when walking downtown, or in a smoking-permissive establishment, get up in a smoker's face (or as close as they can) and say, "Hey, some people are allergic to smoke, jerk."

Just wanted to say that I fully agree with this. A calm "Can you please put that out? I'm (allergic/asthmatic/whatever)" will generally suffice.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-10-13, 08:58 PM
Like any highly-reactive allergy, a person ought to keep as much distance as is reasonable from the allergen, and require their friends to be compliant in that respect. But those people have no excuse to, when walking downtown,

Avoiding one smoker is a simple matter of holding my breath whilst I walk the requisite six metres across their path. Avoiding seven? Somewhat problematic. And if I am waiting for a bus, taxi, or other thing in a confined space where moving three metres in any direction is not an option? What then?

Just wanted to say that I fully agree with this. A calm "Can you please put that out? I'm (allergic/asthmatic/whatever)" will generally suffice.
Funnily enough, an agitated HORK HACK HARG ACK HORK GAH HACK usually does not.

zeratul
2009-10-13, 09:13 PM
Same with a certain couple hundred people I know and ecstasy. Lots of people get told that ecstasy gives you about a fifty-fifty shot at an awesome night... or DEATH.

When people start hitting clubs or raves, and they find that many of the punters are, well... munted, with no ill-effects, a lot of the prior beliefs come tumbling down.

Hell, ecstasy is a gamble, thanks to zero regulation... But if you aren't stupid, the risks are pretty low.

Then people will wonder... "If ecstasy isn't as bad as they say... What about Pot? Speed? Acid? Cocaine?"

Which are the four most common drugs for people to bounce on to, in my experience.

Pot: "I heard it mellows you, and there are all those cool stoner movies!"
Speed: "I took it and danced aaaaaall night."
Acid: "Dude, is there a unicorn over your shoulder?" (the first thing one of my mates ever said to me)
Cocaine: "They always make it seem so cool in the movies..."

Not that I have any knowledge or experience in these matters... Nosiree! :smallamused:

ecstasy however is much much worse for you than pot. With pot you have limited effects to your memory and a very slight possibility of lung cancer if you smoke it every day. Ecstasy on the other hand which functions by popping your serotonin glands poses a larger threat. This is because you have a limited number of serotonin glands in your brain, serotonin being the hormone that makes you feel happy, and if you use ecstasy too much you eventually run out of serotonin permanently.

Roland St. Jude
2009-10-13, 09:15 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Discussions of illegal drugs and criminal activities are not permitted here.