PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Prestige Class] The Chronomancer

PumpkinEater
2009-10-13, 06:19 PM
The Chronomancer

Requirements
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 12 ranks, Spellcraft 12 ranks
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells.

Hit Dice: d4
Weapon Proficiencies: Chronomancers are proficient with no new weapons.
Armor Proficiencies: Chronomancers are proficient with no new armor.
Alignment: Chronomancers are typically lawful.
Skill Points: 2 + Intelligence Modifier

Table: The Chronomancer
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells per Day|Moments
1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Molding Time|
---|

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Haste, Slow|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|
---|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Spell Suspension|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Time Freeze|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class|

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Immortality|
---|

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|
60[/table]

Moments: A chronomancer receives a number of moments equal to their class level x 6, and an additional number of moments equal to their wisdom modifier x their class level. Moments are used to fuel most of the chronomancer’s abilities. Moments are replenished at a rate equal to half the chronomancer’s wisdom modifier per round (minimum 1, maximum 6). Moments can only be used in multiples of 6, unless otherwise noted.

Spells per Day: When a new chronomancer level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 3rd-level spells before he added the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 3rd-level spells before he became an chronomancer, he must decide to which class he adds each level of chronomancer for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Molding Time (Su): A chronomancer can shape the progression of time in a specific area. By spending 6 moments, a chronomancer can advance the time in a specific area by 1 round. Likewise, time can be stretched out for an additional round instead. This ability has a 20-foot radius. This ability requires a swift action to activate no matter how many moments are expended. Creatures are unaffected by this ability. For example, if a chronomancer were to advance time in a certain area by 3 rounds, after spending 18 moments, everything within that area moves forward those 3 rounds instantaneously. The only real use I can see with this are spell durations. (Let's say someone was hit by melf's acid arrow prior to this ability's activation. They take damage from the spell as if 3 rounds had passed.)

Haste (Su): A number of times per day equal to half their wisdom modifier, a chronomancer can cast haste. This ability requires 12 moments to activate, and does no provoke an attack of oppurtunity. Caster level is equal to the chronomancer's caster level, and the spell Save DC is based off of the chronomancer's wisdom.

Slow (Su): A number of times per day equal to half their wisdom modifier, a chronomancer can cast slow. This ability requires 12 moments to activate, and does not provoke an attack of oppurtunity. Caster level is equal to the chronomancer's caster level, and the spell Save DC is based off of the chronomancer's wisdom.

Spell Suspension (Su): A chronomancer can either delay or stop a spell dead in its tracks. By spending 6 moments, a chronomancer can delay the effects a spell by either halting the duration of a spell for 1 round, or by causing a spell with a duration of instantaneous to come into effect 1 round later. This ability requires an immediate action to activate no matter how many moments are expended.

Time Freeze (Su): A chronomancer can temporarily stop all movement within a 20-foot radius. For every 18 moments spent, all time stops within the area for 1 round. No creature caught in this ability can move or perform any actions. Damage caused within this area is negated, and any spell cast within this area is suspended until the effect ends.

Immortality (Ex): At a certain point, a chronomancer gains the ability to permanently stop aging. Their body no longer ages, and the chronomancer has no age limit. In addition, the chronomancer is unaffected by the Time Freeze ability.

So what do you guys think? I'm pretty sure there's something totally broken about this class, but... nothing comes to mind.

By the way, this PrC was specifically made with this class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6573800#post6573800) in mind.

Siosilvar
2009-10-13, 06:24 PM
What does molding time actually do?

Why the unnecessary and wordy limits on the Haste and Slow abilities?

Needs more abilities.

Caster level progression should be balanced out - losing a level at 1 and 6 would be fine.

TheLaughingLich
2009-10-13, 06:29 PM
Interesting basic mechanics behind the class.

Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd level spells.
Did you intend the class to allow non-arcane entry?

Skill Points: 2 + Intelligence Modifier (x 4 at first level)
PrCs don't ordinarily have the (x 4 at first level).

I'm not quite sure I understand how Molding Time works. Maybe you could add a little more explanatory text?

You might also want to put in the typical "When a new Chronomancer level is gained..." explanation for the spellcasting progression.

Flayerman
2009-10-13, 06:33 PM
The lack of complete spellcasting actually deters spellcasters picking up this class as anything more than a single-level dip in my mind. Whatever molding time does, it's really not worth losing more spellcasting levels than the 1 to pick up the expansions.

Considering the lack of stringent requirements, I'd actually dip this class at 9th level instantly, then go back to picking up wizard. Maybe figure out something a bit more stringent and provide better/more abilities for the progression to make it appealing to take more than just one level?

Also, lose the 3 levels sans spell progression. One or two is good, but three is a class-killer for something that's basically a primary caster PRC.

deuxhero
2009-10-13, 08:23 PM
I was expecting a class that told the future, I was disapointed.

Shouldn't the class be something like Chronourger.

PumpkinEater
2009-10-13, 08:54 PM
What does molding time actually do?

Why the unnecessary and wordy limits on the Haste and Slow abilities?

Needs more abilities.

Caster level progression should be balanced out - losing a level at 1 and 6 would be fine.

I added an example for Molding Time (my friend felt that it should be more vague, although I originally had spell durations in mind for it).

I removed the level limit from the Haste and Slow abilities.

I added the Time Freeze ability, and added to the Immortality ability.

Why 6th level, exactly? I figured 8th level would be better, since, maybe the Chronomancer is devoting all of his or her resources to, say, achieving immortality, and has no time to pick up on more spells.

Interesting basic mechanics behind the class.

Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd level spells.
Did you intend the class to allow non-arcane entry?

Skill Points: 2 + Intelligence Modifier (x 4 at first level)
PrCs don't ordinarily have the (x 4 at first level).

I'm not quite sure I understand how Molding Time works. Maybe you could add a little more explanatory text?

You might also want to put in the typical "When a new Chronomancer level is gained..." explanation for the spellcasting progression.

Thanks! I didn't mean to include non-arcane entry, although I did note that when you only gained spells for arcane classes. My bad about the x4 skill points thing, I just copy-pasted. Haha.

I added the explanatory text to Molding Time (it's hard trying to word this ability correctly), and I'm not quite sure what you mean for your last statement.

The lack of complete spellcasting actually deters spellcasters picking up this class as anything more than a single-level dip in my mind. Whatever molding time does, it's really not worth losing more spellcasting levels than the 1 to pick up the expansions.

Considering the lack of stringent requirements, I'd actually dip this class at 9th level instantly, then go back to picking up wizard. Maybe figure out something a bit more stringent and provide better/more abilities for the progression to make it appealing to take more than just one level?

Also, lose the 3 levels sans spell progression. One or two is good, but three is a class-killer for something that's basically a primary caster PRC.

I'll see what I can do :smallbiggrin:

I was expecting a class that told the future, I was disapointed.

Shouldn't the class be something like Chronourger.

Really? Why predicting the future? Chrono means time (I've been led to believe) and that the "mancer" suffix implies someone who is skilled with manipulating whatever comes before it.

Edit: I just looked up "Chronomancer". I was surprised to see that it had actually existed (at least I know where you're coming from now, though :smalltongue:). It was either "Chronomancer" or "Time Mage". I thought Chronomancer sounded better than Time Mage, so I stuck with it.

TheLaughingLich
2009-10-13, 09:03 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean for your last statement.
Most classes that advance spellcasting have standardized text explaining exactly what they do or don't advance. In this case it would be something like "Spells per Day: At every level except 1st and 8th, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of Chronomancer to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class before she became a Chronomancer, she must decide to which class she adds each level of Chronomancer for the purpose of determining spells per day."

industrious
2009-10-13, 09:25 PM
You need a capstone for the PrC, some incentive to make people want to take all 10 levels. Something like

Stepping outside(Su): A 10th level Chronomancer may activate an effect identical to the time stop spell at will. Every round spent inside the effect costs him 12 seconds.

Tavar
2009-10-13, 09:33 PM
You should also specify the caster levels of Haste and Slow, as well as the ability the save is based off of, and if it's treated as casting a spell, spell like ability, or supernatural ability.

PumpkinEater
2009-10-13, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by PumpkinEater
I'm not quite sure what you mean for your last statement.

Most classes that advance spellcasting have standardized text explaining exactly what they do or don't advance. In this case it would be something like "Spells per Day: At every level except 1st and 8th, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of Chronomancer to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class before she became a Chronomancer, she must decide to which class she adds each level of Chronomancer for the purpose of determining spells per day."

Oh. Fixed! I forgot about that :smalltongue:

You need a capstone for the PrC, some incentive to make people want to take all 10 levels. Something like

Stepping outside(Su): A 10th level Chronomancer may activate an effect identical to the time stop spell at will. Every round spent inside the effect costs him 12 seconds.

I'm trying to come up with more ideas, but I'd rather not have a class simulate a 9th level spell. I felt like I was stepping over the boundary when I stuck in the Time Freeze ability with Immortality's other effect.

You should also specify the caster levels of Haste and Slow, as well as the ability the save is based off of, and if it's treated as casting a spell, spell like ability, or supernatural ability.

Well, I suppose CL would equal... the character's CL. Good point about saves, though, I forgot about that. I noted that they were (Su) abilities.

Glimbur
2009-10-13, 10:32 PM
Please explain how long Time Freeze lasts. Is it 18 "seconds" per round of effect?

PumpkinEater
2009-10-13, 10:32 PM
Please explain how long Time Freeze lasts. Is it 18 "seconds" per round of effect?

Whoops. Yeah.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-10-13, 10:34 PM
I just want to make the motion to rename "Seconds" to "Quanta" or something else entirely. Although flavorful, seeing something costs X seconds makes me think of units of time, not my class ability.

PumpkinEater
2009-10-13, 10:38 PM
I just want to make the motion to rename "Seconds" to "Quanta" or something else entirely. Although flavorful, seeing something costs X seconds makes me think of units of time, not my class ability.

Um... but... I like seconds! :smalleek:

I'd change "seconds" to "moments" or something, but I don't think that would fix the issue. "Quanta" just doesn't seem to fit...

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-10-13, 10:40 PM
Um... but... I like seconds! :smalleek:

I'd change "seconds" to "moments" or something, but I don't think that would fix the issue. "Quanta" just doesn't seem to fit...

Seconds are great, but I keep seeing "6 seconds" and think "Okay, so I need to spend a round to use this ability." Moments is probably a better word than quanta, to be fair. It just came to mind first.

Tavar
2009-10-13, 10:41 PM
I wasn't really clear there. I meant that you should define if they provoke attacks of opportunity or not. Right now, you say that it casts the spells, which implies it provokes, but I believe that Supernatural abilities don't provoke by default.

PumpkinEater
2009-10-13, 10:42 PM
Seconds are great, but I keep seeing "6 seconds" and think "Okay, so I need to spend a round to use this ability." Moments is probably a better word than quanta, to be fair. It just came to mind first.

Hmm... I now see your problem with "seconds". Time to go fix it up! Give me a moment... :smalltongue:

I wasn't really clear there. I meant that you should define if they provoke attacks of opportunity or not. Right now, you say that it casts the spells, which implies it provokes, but I believe that Supernatural abilities don't provoke by default.

Good point. I'll go clear it up (almost missed your post...) And they don't provoke attacks of opportunity.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-10-13, 11:20 PM
Time for a quick overview. I have to say, I love the idea behind the class, but it needs a few things hammered out.

The Chronomancer

Requirements
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 12 ranks, Spellcraft 12 ranks
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells.

If you only need 3rd level spells, I would personally drop the skill requirements down a little bit, probably to just 9. High level class slots, especially on a caster, can go to any number of things.

Hit Dice: d4
Weapon Proficiencies: Chronomancers are proficient with no new weapons.
Armor Proficiencies: Chronomancers are proficient with no new armor.
Alignment: Chronomancers are typically lawful.
Skill Points: 2 + Intelligence Modifier

The alignment portion does not need to be here, unless it's an actual requirement. It's mostly just a formatting, and while having it in the fluff is fine, putting it here may cause a few people to assume it is mandatory the character be lawful.

Moments: A chronomancer receives a number of moments equal to their class level x 6, and an additional number of moments equal to their wisdom modifier x their class level. Moments are used to fuel most of the chronomancer’s abilities. Moments are replenished at a rate equal to half the chronomancer’s wisdom modifier per round (minimum 1, maximum 6). Moments can only be used in multiples of 6, unless otherwise noted.

If you must base the amount of Moments gained off of a stat, I would recommend it being the primary casting stat for the class. As it stands, there is almost no reason for an arcane caster to have a high wisdom.

Spells per Day: When a new chronomancer level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 3rd-level spells before he added the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 3rd-level spells before he became an chronomancer, he must decide to which class he adds each level of chronomancer for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Caster levels lost are a pain, but, to be fair, preexisting time manipulation abilities in 3.5 are brutal. As is, losing two levels should be fine.

Molding Time (Su): A chronomancer can shape the progression of time in a specific area. By spending 6 moments, a chronomancer can advance the time in a specific area by 1 round. Likewise, time can be stretched out for an additional round instead. This ability has a 20-foot radius. This ability requires a swift action to activate no matter how many moments are expended. Creatures are unaffected by this ability. For example, if a chronomancer were to advance time in a certain area by 3 rounds, after spending 18 moments, everything within that area moves forward those 3 rounds instantaneously. The only real use I can see with this are spell durations. (Let's say someone was hit by melf's acid arrow prior to this ability's activation. They take damage from the spell as if 3 rounds had passed.)

The fact that creatures are exempt seems odd at first, but it seems like a nice effect to speed up unwanted spells. I would, however, change it so that it can be any 20ft. radius, within, say medium (100ft+10ft/CL) instead of just centered on the Chronomancer. After all, it's a shame you just ended your all day buffs because you forgot to turn this off.:smalltongue:

Haste (Su): A number of times per day equal to half their wisdom modifier, a chronomancer can cast haste. This ability requires 12 moments to activate, and does no provoke an attack of oppurtunity. Caster level is equal to the chronomancer's caster level, and the spell Save DC is based off of the chronomancer's wisdom.

Again, I'm seeing this as being more of a casting stat than a wisdom thing. I'd also go ahead and call it a spell-like ability, because, it is, after all emulating a spell rather directly.

Slow (Su): A number of times per day equal to half their wisdom modifier, a chronomancer can cast slow. This ability requires 12 moments to activate, and does not provoke an attack of oppurtunity. Caster level is equal to the chronomancer's caster level, and the spell Save DC is based off of the chronomancer's wisdom.

Same as haste.

Spell Suspension (Su): A chronomancer can either delay or stop a spell dead in its tracks. By spending 6 moments, a chronomancer can delay the effects a spell by either halting the duration of a spell for 1 round, or by causing a spell with a duration of instantaneous to come into effect 1 round later. This ability requires an immediate action to activate no matter how many moments are expended.

This is really nice, as it's basically mad foam rager for everyone. This also needs a range. I say go with close (25+5ft/2CL) and line of effect.

Time Freeze (Su): A chronomancer can temporarily stop all movement within a 20-foot radius. For every 18 moments spent, all time stops within the area for 1 round. No creature caught in this ability can move or perform any actions. Damage caused within this area is negated, and any spell cast within this area is suspended until the effect ends.

Reading this as is, it makes me think that the Chronomancer gets trapped in his own bubble... leaving him a to become a rather nice pincushion once the effect ends.:smalltongue:

More of the same: list a range instead of what I'm assuming to be a radius centered on the chronomancer. Also, saves each round would help.

Immortality (Ex): At a certain point, a chronomancer gains the ability to permanently stop aging. Their body no longer ages, and the chronomancer has no age limit. In addition, the chronomancer is unaffected by the Time Freeze ability.

Time Freeze is basically a free Time Stop. The immortality portion is fine, but doesn't really do much on it's own. The issue is, alone, it's nigh worthless, save for the flavor. With Time Freeze, it's yet another win button.

So what do you guys think? I'm pretty sure there's something totally broken about this class, but... nothing comes to mind.

By the way, this PrC was specifically made with this class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6573800#post6573800) in mind.

All and all, I like what you have so far, but it feels a little unpolished.