PDA

View Full Version : Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab Perfumes

Prak
2009-10-15, 06:51 PM
We had a thread a while back, but, well... it's not on the first five pages, and, y'know, Thread Necromancy...

So I ordered a few Imp's Ears, namely Bloodlust, Vice, and R'lyeh.
They finally got here, and I thought I'd tell people about them since there seemed to be a lot of interest in the site and their perfumes. (is "perfume" gender neutral now?)

Ordering: Not a single problem, other than making sure I was spelling R'lyeh the same way they do, and wanting to make extra sure they knew which scents I wanted. There was a space for "Imp's Ears desired" and another for special instructions, I filled both out.

Shipping: Apparently they must get a lot of orders, it took two weeks for them to send mine out. but once it was sent (Oct. 13) it took two days to get to me. Impressive.

I opened the box and found not three, but four Imp's Ears, they sent along Masquerade, possibly as a "sorry" possibly as just an extra, I don't know.

The Scents:
Masquerade
They say:

A festive, dazzling blend, layered in mystery and intrigue. Patchouli, ambergris, carnation and orange blossom.
It is quite floral, there is a hint of the patchouli scent, and possibly the carnation and orange. I don't know what ambergris smells like, but given that it's one of the main components of most perfumes, it may be what lends the scent it's "perfume" smell.
Probably not something I'd wear, but I didn't pick it. May give it to a friend.

Vice
They say:

Voluptuous and indulgent! A deep chocolate scent, with black cherry and orange blossom.
Wow. Now this I like. It's what it says it is. It has a heavy chocolate scent, not that crap chocolate you buy in a candy wrapper, but raw chocolate used for cooking, the bitter, vaguely sweet chocolate. And it does have under currents of the other two scents, the cherry most obvious.
I'll definitely wear this, chocolate is one of those scents that works on a subconscious level, and very well at that.

Bloodlust
They say:

A fiery Martial blend that embodies primal rage, lust for conquest, and all-encompassing desire. Dragon's blood essence, heavy red musk, Indonesian patchouli and swarthy vetiver with a drop of cinnamon.
Hm. Smells like the incense section of a new age shop, really... probably the Dragon's Blood and Patchouli. It's very fragrant, not as floral as Masquerade, more woody. And it just occurred to me that the spice is the cinnamon. There's barely any cinnamon, and it certainly doesn't smell like cinnamon, the cinnamon just lends the scent a hint of spice. It's a very strong and powerful scent in that it doesn't take much. I got some on my hands opening the Imp's Ear and had to wash them before I could move on to R'lyeh.
I like it, I wasn't sure what to expect, but it's nice. I may wear it.

R'lyeh

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. The sunken city of the Great God Cthulhu. A hellishly dark aquatic scent, evocative of fathomless oceanic deeps, the mysteries of madness buried under crushing black waters, and the brooding eternal evil that lies beneath the waves.
Interesting. Odd, yet familiar. Slightly oceanic, another scent is very much in the forefront, but I can't quite place it. Oh, it has a hint of incense, I can't remember the name, but it's the incense sold in little boxes with hindu designs on it, in groups of 50 sticks. Nag Champa, that's it. (thank you internet search).
Pleasant, wearable, will probably give it a shot.

Random notes:
Imp's Ears are a pain in the ass to open if you have large hands that aren't good for detail work.

Crimmy
2009-10-15, 07:21 PM
You're just making us all envious.
And you know it. :smallamused:

Nice to know those are good.
That makes me want to do it too.

Prak
2009-10-15, 07:43 PM
they seem a good company. I emailed them asking why it was taking so long for my order was taking so long to ship, and the response was prompt. I like all the unique fragrance ideas, they deserve money so they can continue.

Prak
2009-10-17, 01:44 PM
Bump. I know there were more people interested...

GolemsVoice
2009-10-17, 02:14 PM
I AM interested, it's just that I, living over the seas and far away, outside of the USA, am not eligible for shipping, sadly. I would love to try out scents, as I never before have worn any.

Prak
2009-10-17, 02:19 PM
well, I'm sure there are people here that would be willing to receive and ship to you any order you placed, I seem to recall someone offering to do that on the last thread, and you may want to try the trading post on the Black Phoenix website.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-17, 02:20 PM
Vice intrigues me. I'm wondering what an imp is, though, since the only info I could find informs me it is 1/32th of an ounce. Which seems ridiculously small and concentrated. What do you do with it?

...and what does the Ear loom like? =P

Prak
2009-10-17, 02:35 PM
Vice intrigues me. I'm wondering what an imp is, though, since the only info I could find informs me it is 1/32th of an ounce. Which seems ridiculously small and concentrated. What do you do with it?

...and what does the Ear loom like? =P

Imp's Ear is just what they call their samples.
It's a stoppered tube, with probably enough scent for one or two applications, depending on how liberally one applies it.

Sequinox
2009-10-17, 03:19 PM
Is this a joke?

(I read the whole thread, but I'm still in slight disbelief.)

RabbitHoleLost
2009-10-17, 03:30 PM
Is this a joke?

(I read the whole thread, but I'm still in slight disbelief.)

Er, why would it be a joke?

Anyways, glad to see a follow up. Was really curious about how buying perfume on the internet would work.

Sequinox
2009-10-17, 03:47 PM
Er, why would it be a joke?

Anyways, glad to see a follow up. Was really curious about how buying perfume on the internet would work.

I dunno, it just seems like an odd idea.

GolemsVoice
2009-10-17, 04:17 PM
I don't know about having it bought and shipped to me, wouldn't that be unreasonably expensive? And do men wear perfume? You must excuse me, but when it comes to fashion (for lack of a better word) I'm totally mystified. Maybe sometime I will take you up on your offer. Lovecraftian perfume, woo-ha!

skywalker
2009-10-17, 09:25 PM
I don't know about having it bought and shipped to me, wouldn't that be unreasonably expensive? And do men wear perfume? You must excuse me, but when it comes to fashion (for lack of a better word) I'm totally mystified. Maybe sometime I will take you up on your offer. Lovecraftian perfume, woo-ha!

Perhaps you are more familiar with the term "cologne?"

Speaking most correctly, "perfume" is the term that has been generalized to mean "liquid one can spray on oneself to smell good." Especially since a lot of men wear "women's" fragrance and a lot of women wear "men's," and since "cologne," "toilette," etc. are all specific types of fragrant liquid, perfume is the best choice.

GolemsVoice
2009-10-18, 07:54 AM
Ok, that clears things up. Thanks.

Prak
2009-10-18, 07:30 PM
and, for example, I'm a man. and I was the one person from the prior thread to actually go ahead and buy some.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-19, 11:28 AM
Okay, I understand everything up to the word "black"

Prak
2009-10-19, 02:49 PM
Okay, I understand everything up to the word "black"

there was a thread a couple weeks back in which someone shared a link to the website of a company named "Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab." Their main product is various lines of perfumes that appeal to the gothy/nerdy/misfit crowd, such as perfumes inspired by Lovecraft, Hellboy, Alice in Wonderland, Devils, etc.

But, it's a website, so a lot of people were leery of ordering perfume they could not know about, so I figured I'd critique the few I ordered.