PDA

View Full Version : Chronoranger-Class Proposal (3.5) PEACH

-Baldur-
2009-10-15, 07:10 PM
So, just considering designing a class. I've seen a few around here that address the issue of time, but none that really hit what I think it should be on the head. This isn't a design, so no tables or spoilers. Just simply putting a level by level proposal out there to see what all you good people think. If the reaction is positive, then design shall be done!

Chronoranger

Full BAB progression, Average Fort, Full will and average reflex.

Time Mastery Style
The Chronoranger will get a choice at first level whether or not he specializes in Past or Future time mastery. Past will allow him to undo actions, damage taken, failed saves etc. Future will allow him to make extra movement, an extra attack, take another full turn etc. Usable at will, twice per day. The user cannot undo death, but can undo damage. Past and Future time mastery class features are immediate actions, and can be taken on anyones turn.

Track- At every second level the Chronoranger gains the ability to track/trace clues through time. This includes tracks that were covered, tracks faded by weather, faded/broken clues, forgetful individuals, corpses (speaking to the corpse when they were alive, not "Speak to Dead" ability.) etc. The ability improves at a rate of one hour times twice the Chronorangers class level. Two at first, four at second, six at third and so on.

Time Seeds- the user expends these at a rate of 5 seeds per activation of an ability (10 with stronger abilities, 15 with the strongest). These abilities are seperate from the Time Mastery, even if they allow a similar or the same ability. The user gains 20 seeds at his first level, which then increases at a rate of 10 seeds per every level in the Chronoranger class.

Time Seed Abilities (Very basic)

Reverse the flow- The user can go back a round and undo an action/change something.

Speed the flow- The user can jump into the future, allowing another action, the ability to induce extra damage, or to withhold an enemy from making an action.

Temporal shift The user can jump forward (or backward) in time and snatch a held weapon or item held by a target. Must succeed on a Will save.

Waters of time The user drenches his enemies in the waters of time, making them temporarily lose one class level per every 4 levels of Chronoranger Class Level. The levels are returned after one round.

Lengthen the flow The user elongates a time based effect at a rate of 1 round per every three Chronoranger class levels.

Time Skip The user skips through time to increase his movement. Adding on +10 feet per every 5 seeds spent.

Time Force The user slows time so much that he can direct and force a ranged object (be it spell, mundane, or item) in a certain direction (around a corner, increasing the distance travelled, over an object, etc) at a rate of 5 seeds per direction/20 foot range increment)

Horror of the Time Warp The user grabs a nearby enemy (Will save, not strength to grapple) and jumps into the Time Warp with them. This lasts one round per every 15 seeds expended. The enemy is subjected to the tortures of an unprotected mind in the warp, and is reduced by 1 Int, 1 Will, 1 char, and 3d10 HD per every round spent in the warp, once the enemy exits the warp, these effects stay in place for 1 round per every 5 Chronoranger class levels. However, due to the strain of confining their mind in the warp, the Chronoranger cannot use any time based abilities for 2 rounds after exiting, and suffers the fatigue effect.

Time Stop The user stops time, allowing him to perform 1 round per every 20 seeds expended. He may perform whatever actions he wishes under these circumstances, including other time based abilities. Allowing him to stack multiple time reverses or accelerations, but only to actions that directly affected him, or that he directly affected.

Stealing Time The user may feed off of an enemies life essence, essentially making him younger, and the recipient older. The enemy must make a Will Save or have 1 year stolen per 15 seeds expended. The user can then transfer this life essence to another party member (if they have been magically aged, and only if they have been magically aged) at a cost of 10hp and 5 seeds per year transferred. Time manipulation of this magnitude costs the user greatly.

Time Immunity At a rate of 5 seeds per round expended, any spell with a "duration" effect, now no longer effects the Chronoranger.

Shield of time The user erects a shield made of the Time Warp, allowing a 15 foot wide by fifteen foot high by 15 foot long square shield to be erected directly in front of his person. This shield stops all time based effects, spells, enchantments, objects enchanted with a time based effect, or time breath weapons, from passing through. This ability costs 30 seeds per round.

Secrets of the Ages The Chronoranger has traveled to the start and ends of time, mastering the knowledge, but unable to share the secrets due to the mind bursting pressure such information contains. He may whisper but one secret per week, at a cost of 100 seeds. This secret reverberates through the room at the Chronorangers instruction, affecting all party members as if a "Heal", "Bless", "Shield" spell were cast on all and affecting his enemies as if under a "Paralysis" and "Cause Critical Wounds" spell were cast. All enemies must succeed on a Will Save. Further to this, four level appropriate undead are summoned, gatekeepers of the secrets of time.

So far these are the majority of the abilities that I have. Any more suggestions, feedback would be welcome.

He will have proficiency in all martial weapons, light but not medium armour, all shields except tower.

To overpowered? To underpowered? Not enough abilities? There won't be any flavour just yet, as I said this is a proposal. Not a full fledged design.

Not enough track and trace/discover ranger type abilities? Favoured enemies? Combat abilities?

Help me out here!

Milskidasith
2009-10-15, 07:16 PM
First of all, your saves make no sense. There isn't "average" and "better than average." There are good saves, and bad saves. No class would have a progression between the two.

-Baldur-
2009-10-15, 07:18 PM
I just read the Chronotrigger thread after your post. Not sure why you think I ripped anything off? His ideas are solely based around his guns, shooting, making his shots better.

This class, not even close, uses swords/bows and even then only one of his abilities affects weapons, and not even his weapons but the weapons of others.

Have a re-read of both threads and see if you think they're still similar. Also, where is "The Sandman" thread, I can't find it?

-Edit- Changed the Saves, it was a note I made to inform myself what I wanted it to be, not part of the actual proposal. Chillax my friend, breathe. :smallwink:

Milskidasith
2009-10-15, 07:22 PM
It uses a similar method as the sandman for how it uses it's abilities; the sandman uses "ticks" and this uses "seeds." As for the Chrono Trigger, it was the extra damage, extra actions, and stopping the enemy from having an action.

-Baldur-
2009-10-15, 07:25 PM
It uses a similar method as the sandman for how it uses it's abilities; the sandman uses "ticks" and this uses "seeds." As for the Chrono Trigger, it was the extra damage, extra actions, and stopping the enemy from having an action.

I didn't even see the ticks bit! Ouch. Still! I feel he is more based around weapon improvement/combat improvement as opposed to aiding his party/enhancing his abilities/giving extra time.

So I still feel validated in the design. However I do now feel that I DEFINITELY should of researched everything on the forums with a title "chrono" in it. Thanks for pointing this out. Hopefully they're not TOO similar to warrant giving up the idea.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-15, 07:25 PM

*Sigh*

These concepts are all similar, yes, but so is the theme. If I wanted to, I could trace the Sandman class idea (and even name) back to part of the Ritualist Paradigm Project that Lord Gareth and I worked on a few months (or years?) back...but I don't, because I love what Cog did with it and I don't consider his a knock-off, despite certain similarities (I'm not even sure he saw our thread for long enough to remember that much). I consider it another interesting insight into a concept I explored, and something that I may well be inspired by in turn, ending up with the bettering of both our creations. That's what I think is going on here...they can look at each others and learn and improve...sort of the whole point of homebrew. :smallbiggrin:

This isn't an exact copy, so there's very little basis to say someone copied someone else's idea. Time-themed classes have been around for ages...I know mine was inspired by others as well.

-Baldur-
2009-10-15, 07:27 PM
*Sigh*

These concepts are all similar, yes, but so is the theme. If I wanted to, I could trace the Sandman class idea (and even name) back to part of the Ritualist Paradigm Project that Lord Gareth and I worked on a few months (or years?) back...but I don't, because I love what Cog did with it and I don't consider his a knock-off, despite certain similarities (I'm not even sure he saw our thread for long enough to remember that much). I consider it another interesting insight into a concept I explored, and something that I may well be inspired by in turn, ending up with the bettering of both our creations. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and a time-based class only has so many possible permutations.

Don't suppose you can link me to Lord Gareth? Or Cog? Whatever design those two were. Time based classes interest me greatly.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-10-15, 07:32 PM
The Sandman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127333&highlight=sandman) -- by Cog n Taz

The Ritualist (http://plothook.net/RPG/showthread.php?p=396095#post396095) -- by Lord Gareth and Djinn in Tonic

Sadly, the Ritualist lacks most of his rituals, due to some more wide-scale revision thoughts we had. Still, you'll get an idea of what we were aiming for.

Milskidasith
2009-10-15, 07:33 PM
This isn't an exact copy, so there's very little basis to say someone copied someone else's idea. Time-themed classes have been around for ages...I know mine was inspired by others as well.

Actually, my basis for calling it to have been greatly drawing from the recent ideas kind of has to do with time. Basically, we get the Sandman class, which has been up for a few days, I'll admit, and then the Chrono Trigger, which hasn't been up for long, and then boom! Another time themed class appears with a similar use system to the Sandman and a few abilities that seem similar to the Chrono Trigger. I admit, they aren't exact copies by any means, but when you get an idea that looks like, to put it in the best possible terms, it was written up as a rough draft right before posting it, running on a similar system and based on a similar concept of two classes that also have the same theme, it starts to run into "I'm just doing this because time seems to be the theme this week" territory.

-Baldur-
2009-10-15, 07:59 PM
Actually, my basis for calling it to have been greatly drawing from the recent ideas kind of has to do with time. Basically, we get the Sandman class, which has been up for a few days, I'll admit, and then the Chrono Trigger, which hasn't been up for long, and then boom! Another time themed class appears with a similar use system to the Sandman and a few abilities that seem similar to the Chrono Trigger. I admit, they aren't exact copies by any means, but when you get an idea that looks like, to put it in the best possible terms, it was written up as a rough draft right before posting it, running on a similar system and based on a similar concept of two classes that also have the same theme, it starts to run into "I'm just doing this because time seems to be the theme this week" territory.

If it makes you feel better, I hadn't read either til you pointed them out. I DID read "Time Lord" which I felt was the direction i wanted to take my class. Plus, I've not designed my class yet. And Im thinking there's not much point now I've seen that Sandman class. It was as I said, a proposal ;-)