PDA

View Full Version : Supagoof's Supa-Sensational Silly Symphonies Set Sizzingly On Fire Random Banter #131

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Dragonrider
2009-10-19, 07:16 PM
announcement:

I SUCK AT SPANISH.

:smallmad:

I mean, I don't. That's the frustrating thing. I feel like I know it but then I get a C on my Spanish test for nitpicky stuff like using a verb that means something slightly different but gets the same point across. It's just frustrating.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-19, 07:26 PM
announcement:

I SUCK AT SPANISH.

I mean, I don't. That's the frustrating thing. I feel like I know it but then I get a C on my Spanish test for nitpicky stuff like using a verb that means something slightly different but gets the same point across. It's just frustrating.

School rant impending:

So, firstly, I hate getting stupid points off. Yeah, maybe in Algebra II, I'd be okay with getting a point or two off for the incorrect sign or something, but in Multi-variable Calc? Really? I got a total of 13 points off that test, because of 1 incorrect sign (5 points) and not putting my name at the top of the paper (8 points :smallfurious:). At the opposite end of the spectrum, I absolutely HATE extra credit. Especially when giving in unhealthy amounts. In my girlfriends History class the teacher awarded an extra 15% for knowing her first name.
... What?
Knowing what she calls herself, definitely doesn't relate to the Russian Revolution...

Gah. Stupid Grading Systems.

Phase
2009-10-19, 07:28 PM
Ah, school grading. I cannot wait to escape the world of numerical gradation. The only feedback I need is "DO BETTER"

Mr. Mud
2009-10-19, 07:33 PM
Ah, school grading. I cannot wait to escape the world of numerical gradation. The only feedback I need is "DO BETTER"

Gah. I have a **.985 and the teacher refuses to round up. I hate hate hate hate grades :smallfrown:.

Trobby
2009-10-19, 07:36 PM
Okay, let's take these in order...

Sir, I take offense in that. Some languages make sense you know ...well, they sometimes do

In other news:
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/funny-pictures-kitten-has-a-happy.jpg

I did awesome in my mid term today and I got a cute girl's number :smallsmile:

Awesome, man! :smallwink: Definitely a night to celebrate.

announcement:

I SUCK AT SPANISH.

Aww...sorry to hear that, DR...at least you passed it though, even if it was a tricky quiz.

School rant impending:

So, firstly, I hate getting stupid points off. Yeah, maybe in Algebra II, I'd be okay with getting a point or two off for the incorrect sign or something, but in Multi-variable Calc? Really? I got a total of 13 points off that test, because of 1 incorrect sign (5 points) and not putting my name at the top of the paper (8 points :smallfurious:). At the opposite end of the spectrum, I absolutely HATE extra credit. Especially when giving in unhealthy amounts. In my girlfriends History class the teacher awarded an extra 15% for knowing her first name.
... What?
Knowing what she calls herself, definitely doesn't relate to the Russian Revolution...

Gah. Stupid Grading Systems.

Eight points for not putting down your name? Most teachers would just ask you to put down your name. :/ That seems a little nasty of your teacher.

Gah. I have a **.985 and the teacher refuses to round up. I hate hate hate hate grades :smallfrown:.

Echk...what did you get marked down .015 points for? That seems...really arbitrary.

Fostire
2009-10-19, 08:13 PM
Awesome, man! :smallwink: Definitely a night to celebrate.

Definitely :smallbiggrin:

On gradings: I loved my physics teacher's back in high school, they were the only ones whose grading system made sense. You got a 10 in the test, you get a grade of 10, no arbitrary numbers like class participation.
They also seemed to be the only teachers who knew what an average was (4, 5, 6, and 8 DO NOT AVERAGE TO 5! :smallmad:).

zeratul
2009-10-19, 08:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, would any of you be able to recommend me any books by or about Aleister Crowley? This thread seemed like the best place to ask so I figured I'd try here.

Jack Squat
2009-10-19, 08:23 PM
On gradings: I loved my physics teacher's back in high school, they were the only ones whose grading system made sense. You got a 10 in the test, you get a grade of 10, no arbitrary numbers like class participation.
They also seemed to be the only teachers who knew what an average was (4, 5, 6, and 8 DO NOT AVERAGE TO 5! :smallmad:).

I like having grades like "class participation". I don't do well on tests, especially multiple choice. I know the material, and don't (think I) get anxious about the tests, but I never do as well on them as I should. I actually prefer "pass/fail" type things rather than traditional scales, but that's another discussion.

Also, you had teachers round 5.75 down to 5? If I were teaching, I wouldn't round it at all (unless required, of course), but that's really a number that shouldn't ever be rounded down.

Fostire
2009-10-19, 08:47 PM
I like having grades like "class participation". I don't do well on tests, especially multiple choice. I know the material, and don't (think I) get anxious about the tests, but I never do as well on them as I should.
The thing about grades like "class participation" is that in the end it's more of a "how much the teacher likes you" (which actually has worked in my favor plenty of times).

Also, you had teachers round 5.75 down to 5? If I were teaching, I wouldn't round it at all (unless required, of course), but that's really a number that shouldn't ever be rounded down.
Yep, she did. Passing grade was 6, and she even said that if I passed the last test I would pass the course but she failed me anyway. I hated her guts for months.

Trobby
2009-10-19, 09:18 PM
Yep, she did. Passing grade was 6, and she even said that if I passed the last test I would pass the course but she failed me anyway. I hated her guts for months.

I Officially hate her now, for you. :smallmad: Stupid teacher taking back her word and not even realizing it. And truncating a grade? That's something a math teacher would do just to spite a student! How rude.

Fostire
2009-10-19, 09:25 PM
I Officially hate her now, for you. :smallmad: Stupid teacher taking back her word and not even realizing it. And truncating a grade? That's something a math teacher would do just to spite a student! How rude.

This was a philosophy teacher. Also that was like five years ago and I managed to pass the course so it's just a bad memory now.

Phase
2009-10-19, 10:04 PM
Okay, big bad Bio test tomorrow...

The Cytoskeleton is made up of the Microtubules, Microfilaments, and Intermediary Filaments.

The Cell Junctions are Plasmodesmata in Plants, Gap Junctions, Tight Junctions, and Desmosomes in Animals.

Haruki-kun
2009-10-19, 10:16 PM
I Officially hate her now, for you. :smallmad: Stupid teacher taking back her word and not even realizing it.

Oh, I got one:

Last semester, I had a drawing teacher who always gave us a load of work. Man, I remember it... I was exhausted. Always.

Once, I had work for other classes, and a full assignment for her class that I knew would take me all night. So I went to her office to ask her for an extra day. This is because I knew she gave this class to another group the next day and always checked all assignments for both groups together, so I knew it wouldn't really be hard for her.

She said no, because she'd been doing that for a lot of people lately and it was starting to push her behind schedule. So I sucked it up and I did the assignment. As well as the ones for the other classes. I did not sleep that night.

The next day? I arrived to class with my assignment completed and turned it in only to find out that half the class wasn't done with theirs. Since the assignments are technically due at the end of the class, this wasn't so strange, I know several people preferred to finish the last few details in class.

The problem: At the end of the class, they get up, put their assignments away, and start walking out. "Professor, I'll give it to you tomorrow," they said. The teacher absent-mindedly said "Yeah, sure, tomorrow."

I don't think I've ever raged so hard in my life.

Fostire
2009-10-19, 10:18 PM
Okay, big bad Bio test tomorrow...

The Cytoskeleton is made up of the Microtubules, Microfilaments, and Intermediary Filaments.

The Cell Junctions are Plasmodesmata in Plants, Gap Junctions, Tight Junctions, and Desmosomes in Animals.
Good luck! :smallbiggrin:

Or maybe you prefer what my old chemistry teacher used to say when people asked him to wish them luck: "I won't wish you luck, but instead I wish you reward for your work"
He was an awesome teacher.

toasty
2009-10-19, 10:28 PM
My best friend is awesome. And insane. But I think lots of insane people were awesome anyways.

you see [toasty]...when it is 11pm, and you are heavily caffeinated, listening to trance, and doing something abstract like physics or math... [listening to Trance] is a transcendent experience
:smallbiggrin:

Trobby
2009-10-19, 10:56 PM
...Fostire, what happened to your head? o.o It went all red and blue eyed and stuff.

Also, that's an absolutely terrible thing to happen to you, Haruki. :smallfrown: I know the pang of such teachers all too well. Often they'll be firm up front to students who ask for permission, but just don't give a damn when students just don't care either. I would hope that every single one of them got a mark off for lateness, but I don't know...:/

I think we used to have a topic here for worst teachers we ever had. Wasn't that floating around for awhile?

billtodamax
2009-10-19, 11:45 PM
I'm pretty sure we did, yeah.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-20, 05:55 AM
It's official. My body, she hates me.
I went to bed at a normal hour, woke at the usual hour, but I could not get out of bed.
I felt hideous and my body was successfully repelling all my brain's attempts at telling it to get up. ANd then it counterattacked by sending me to sleep.
Until half past eleven.
So I missed my lecture and feell accursedly ill and will have to borrow notes for the lecture I missed.

My throat an chest feel crappy and I practically had a choking fit on nothing five minutes ago.
But I have no fever or aches so 'tisn't swine 'flu; and I suppose I'll be making an appointment with a doctor if it won't go away.
Stupid Fresher's Flu.

Also: kiwi.

ION:
Finished Unseen Academicals last night. Death makes his usual appearance but I'm kind of stunned by three things:
Vetinari gets drunk.
Vetinari isn't the referee.
Vetinari gets drunk.
A relationship is hinted at. Between Vetinari and [not saying].

I really did enjoy it and I caught every shout out; I see the Oxbridge dig; I like the 'sub' - plots. But I think they'll surprise the reader when one 'sub' - plot turns out to be a main plot.
I don't particularly like one of the typographical/layout choices towards the end, but if that's the only thing I can find to truly complain about that's a good thing.
I like the thing going on with Mister Nutt too.
Plus Sam Vimes is as cool as usual. And he personally appears for very few pages.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-20, 06:23 AM
Today my glasses broke in a new and spectacular way. I've had to deal with the nose pads coming off, or tearing. I've had screws pop out. But until today, I'd never dealt with the frame snapping.

It broke right over one of the aforementioned pads, which is also currently broken. This, of course, means that it won't hold the lens properly, and i've got no way to easily hold it together. I've settled for sticking the lens to the frame with electrical tape, which is one hell of a fashion statement. It says "I don't have any way to get these properly repaired"

At least, not until next week, when there was an opening in the optometrist's schedule. The appointment will cost me money, and new frames will cost me as well. Moreso if I have to get new lenses, too. All this is money I'd rather not be spending.

Five bucks says they don't make these frames anymore and I'll have to choose different ones. :smallannoyed:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-20, 06:26 AM
Today my glasses broke in a new and spectacular way. I've had to deal with the nose pads coming off, or tearing. I've had screws pop out. But until today, I'd never dealt with the frame snapping.

It broke right over one of the aforementioned pads, which is also currently broken. This, of course, means that it won't hold the lens properly, and i've got no way to easily hold it together. I've settled for sticking the lens to the frame with electrical tape, which is one hell of a fashion statement. It says "I don't have any way to get these properly repaired"

At least, not until next week, when there was an opening in the optometrist's schedule. The appointment will cost me money, and new frames will cost me as well. Moreso if I have to get new lenses, too. All this is money I'd rather not be spending.

Five bucks says they don't make these frames anymore and I'll have to choose different ones. :smallannoyed:

Nah. Just put a lightening bolt scar on your forehead and you're done.

But that's pretty annoying. The worst I've ever had to deal with is a bent frame, and that easily fixable even on a bus.
Dad o the other hand, had a teething puppy nibble on his glasses. Didn't break the lenses fortunately (for the puppy), but money? Much was spent. Cracked frame, destroyed screws and nose pads.
And then put on top an emergency vet's bill because we suspected he might have swallowed the latter.
Lots more money was spent.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-20, 06:59 AM
Nah. Just put a lightening bolt scar on your forehead and you're done.

But that's pretty annoying. The worst I've ever had to deal with is a bent frame, and that easily fixable even on a bus.
Dad on the other hand, had a teething puppy nibble on his glasses. Didn't break the lenses fortunately (for the puppy), but money? Much was spent. Cracked frame, destroyed screws and nose pads.
And then put on top an emergency vet's bill because we suspected he might have swallowed the latter.
Lots more money was spent.

But my hair is brown, and my eyes are a kind of blue-green weird colour depending on the light! It would be all wrong.

very bizarre, actually. The eye thing, I mean. I really can't tell whether they're blue or green or what. Sometimes they look like one, sometimes the other.

And yeah, that does sound like it would be bad. Fortunately we don't have any puppies that could chew on my glasses. Also fortunately, the lens on the half that snapped is very thick, and so has thus far refused to break when it hits the floor.

toasty
2009-10-20, 07:00 AM

Argh. I hate glasses breaking. Last time I broke my glasses I went around blind for three days waiting for a new pair. Argh.

Being blind is, by the way, highly unpleasant. Swinting and swirming and getting headaches cuz you're wearing some ancient piece-of-crap glasses is NOT fun.

Jack Squat
2009-10-20, 07:07 AM
I've had a pair of glasses that've been broken for ~3 years now. Whenever I remember about them, I can't find them. Whenever I find them, I don't have time to find a repair shop. One of the nose pieces (or rather, the bit of metal that holds them) snapped off because I tried to bend it back into place after getting hit in the head.

I should probably just get a new pair by now, since my prescription's changed some (I normally wear contacts).

Thufir
2009-10-20, 07:13 AM
ION:
Finished Unseen Academicals last night. Death makes his usual appearance but I'm kind of stunned by three things:
Vetinari gets drunk.
Vetinari isn't the referee.
Vetinari gets drunk.
A relationship is hinted at. Between Vetinari and [not saying].

Yeah, but Vetinari gets drunk like me - it takes a trained eye to actually notice any difference. I was surprised he wasn't the referee. And thinking about it, him being the referee might have solved some problems. Less likely people would manage to foul without him noticing.
And to be honest I really like the occasions when we can see the slightly less serious side of Vetinari. Or just in general, seeing more of Vetinari.

I really did enjoy it and I caught every shout out; I see the Oxbridge dig; I like the 'sub' - plots. But I think they'll surprise the reader when one 'sub' - plot turns out to be a main plot.
I don't particularly like one of the typographical/layout choices towards the end, but if that's the only thing I can find to truly complain about that's a good thing.
I like the thing going on with Mister Nutt too.
Plus Sam Vimes is as cool as usual. And he personally appears for very few pages.

An additional good point is that it's all new stuff. Not that I don't love all the established characters however much they get reused, but it's also nice and interesting to see something new and different.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-20, 07:36 AM
Yeah, but Vetinari gets drunk like me - it takes a trained eye to actually notice any difference. I was surprised he wasn't the referee. And thinking about it, him being the referee might have solved some problems. Less likely people would manage to foul without him noticing.
And to be honest I really like the occasions when we can see the slightly less serious side of Vetinari. Or just in general, seeing more of Vetinari.

I enjoyed it too, was surprised when he laughed as well. But Vetinari's just plain amazing. He's willing to get drunk and have a severe hangover just to change some rules for a game.
That's pretty cool

An additional good point is that it's all new stuff. Not that I don't love all the established characters however much they get reused, but it's also nice and interesting to see something new and different.

Yup.
I just love Glenda and Mister Mutt. Plus the Little Sisters of Perpetual Ferocity.
:smallcool:

Phaedra
2009-10-20, 07:42 AM
I'd just like to state my overwhelming jealousy of both of you for having read a book I have neither the time nor money to obtain for at least another couple weeks.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-20, 08:21 AM
I need to buy more books. I wish I had the chance to go to the bookstore with my shiny new paycheck, but alas, not until Thursday will that opportunity present itself.

Is it just me, or do I sound really pretentious today? My current writing project is filling itself with long descriptions and big fancy words, and now my random banter posts seem to have acquired a tendency for the same.

Fostire
2009-10-20, 08:26 AM
...Fostire, what happened to your head? o.o It went all red and blue eyed and stuff.
I decided to change a couple of details, like remove the horn and modify the wings a bit, and while I was at it I decided to try a different colour to see how it looks. I'm not to happy with the red, maybe I'll make it blue next time...

But my hair is brown, and my eyes are a kind of blue-green weird colour depending on the light! It would be all wrong.

very bizarre, actually. The eye thing, I mean. I really can't tell whether they're blue or green or what. Sometimes they look like one, sometimes the other.
Maybe they change colour. I know my great grandmother's eyes changed from a dark grey-blue to a light blue depending on her mood.

Trog
2009-10-20, 08:48 AM
How is Trog a grandmama? :smallconfused:
Well the whole family idea was started, iirc, by SweetRein. I, somehow, got declared to be her "mamma." No clue how that originated but you know how it is on the forums, someone makes something up and you roll with it. :smallbiggrin:

Over the course of the next several months the family kept growing. At some point I was declared a grandmama, apparently, by virtue of being a mama earlier I would guess. I'd look again at the chart but I lose sanity each time I do. :smalltongue:

I know at some point I mentioned in an AIM chat that someone should make a family tree since the whole thing was already beginning to get all convoluted and ridiculous. Then once that was made it got exponentially expanded. Still expanding I see. :smallamused:

... Uncle Trog just about goes broke covering all the nieces' and nephews' birthday cards. :smalleek:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-20, 09:12 AM
Uncle Trog, why didn't you send me a birthday card.:smallmad:

:smalltongue:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-20, 09:26 AM
Ohmygod!
I just had a terrible shock. I'd written another x hundred words of my essay and then locked my laptop, locked my room and went to my lecture.
Then I came back and checked my email and opened a linked word document, but after reading it I closed down word entirely and had a few moments of heart stuttering "I just lost half my essay!!!" panic before natural sense kicked in.
"Koorly, you are a paranoid saver and always save your work three times even when you just click out of Word and onto the internet.
Not to mention there would've been a popup saying 'Do you wish to close X without saving?'."
Silly Koorly.
Still my heart patter pat pats.

Silverraptor
2009-10-20, 09:31 AM
Ohmygod!
I just had a terrible shock. I'd written another x hundred words of my essay and then locked my laptop, locked my room and went to my lecture.
Then I came back and checked my email and opened a linked word document, but after reading it I closed down word entirely and had a few moments of heart stuttering "I just lost half my essay!!!" panic before natural sense kicked in.
"Koorly, you are a paranoid saver and always save your work three times even when you just click out of Word and onto the internet.
Not to mention there would've been a popup saying 'Do you wish to close X without saving?'."
Silly Koorly.
Still my heart patter pat pats.

I had something like that happen to me before. It's not fun.:smallsigh:

Dogmantra
2009-10-20, 09:38 AM
I have that happen to me all the time. Sometimes, I haven't saved it and I click "Don't Save" instinctively.

EleventhHour
2009-10-20, 09:43 AM
My favorite is when it locks up, you have to close it through task manager, or that sort of thing, and then it has "This file was closed without saving, would you like to open the quicksave?"

And then you hug the monitor, and remember why you love Microsoft. :smalltongue:

Etcetera
2009-10-20, 09:45 AM
That's also why I like Firefox. Restore last session. Of course, all the browsers are doing it now, which can only be a good thing...

Shadow
2009-10-20, 10:11 AM
Off topic, I haven't been to RB in quite a long time, but I noticed that it was Goof's thread, so I had to stop by and say hi! :smallsmile:

On topic, that's why I do pretty much every single thing in my life on Google Doc.
Auto-save is my bestest friend. :smallbiggrin:

Dragonrider
2009-10-20, 10:16 AM
When I was ten I was writing a story and the computer crashed. My dad told me about CTRL+S and ever since then I have been a compulsive CTRL+S-er. Only trouble is, on occasion I find myself typing into a box such as this one and forget that the shortcut doesn't always work in it.

Those keyboard shortcuts are the hardest thing, I've found, about switching between Dvorak and QWERTY keyboard formats.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-20, 10:26 AM
Off topic, I haven't been to RB in quite a long time, but I noticed that it was Goof's thread, so I had to stop by and say hi! :smallsmile:

On topic, that's why I do pretty much every single thing in my life on Google Doc.
Auto-save is my bestest friend. :smallbiggrin:

SHADOW!
*hugs*
I haven't seen you in ages. Where've you been? How's life at the bar?

When I was ten I was writing a story and the computer crashed. My dad told me about CTRL+S and ever since then I have been a compulsive CTRL+S-er. Only trouble is, on occasion I find myself typing into a box such as this one and forget that the shortcut doesn't always work in it.

That's what I do on Word.
Type a phrase/clause/sentence/paragraph? CTR+S.
Type a word? CTR+S.
Pause writing for even a moment? CTR+S.

And the best thing I do in message boxes like this is CTR+A and then CTR+C. Happy days learning shortcuts. :smallsmile:

Trog
2009-10-20, 10:28 AM
Uncle Trog, why didn't you send me a birthday card.:smallmad:

:smalltongue:
>.> Er... Uncle Trog did ..um... send you a card. Yeah. <.< But it uh... it got lost... in the mail... stolen maybe. Possibly by monkeys. >.>

Here. Here's 10 rupees. Go play a video game (http://nintendo8.com/game/810/legend_of_zelda/) or something huh? That's a good lad.

Gullara
2009-10-20, 10:32 AM
Argh. I hate glasses breaking. Last time I broke my glasses I went around blind for three days waiting for a new pair. Argh.

Being blind is, by the way, highly unpleasant. Swinting and swirming and getting headaches cuz you're wearing some ancient piece-of-crap glasses is NOT fun.

I've been hit in the face in Phys Ed to many times to count and of course my glasses get bent:smallsigh: All I really do is try to bend them back, fail, put them back on, forget about them, and they feel normal the next day although there are a little bent still:smallamused:

>.> Er... Uncle Trog did ..um... send you a card. Yeah. <.< But it uh... it got lost... in the mail... stolen maybe. Possibly by monkeys. >.>

Here. Here's 10 rupees. Go play a video game (http://nintendo8.com/game/810/legend_of_zelda/) or something huh? That's a good lad.

go get yourself a health potion, or maybe some shiny new arrows.

Nameless
2009-10-20, 10:41 AM
My hands are covered in paint. Whee!

Coidzor
2009-10-20, 11:08 AM
I've been hit in the face in Phys Ed to many times to count and of course my glasses get bent:smallsigh: All I really do is try to bend them back, fail, put them back on, forget about them, and they feel normal the next day although there are a little bent still

Is there a lenscrafters' or something nearby? Most of them offer free realignment if they get bent but not catastrophically so.

That's not good...

Gullara
2009-10-20, 11:14 AM
Is there a lenscrafters' or something nearby? Most of them offer free realignment if they get bent but not catastrophically so.

That's not good...

My local optometrist will fix bent glasses for free if he's not busy, but since I live on a farm I can't get to him conveniently so I make do.

KataraAltinaII
2009-10-20, 11:15 AM
GAIZ GAIZ GAIZ!!! GESS WUT!! GESS WUT!!!

MY COMPUTER ASPLODID!!!

[my computer exploded.]

well, not really, but it died on me with a KSoD. now I'm stuck on a crappy one.

*is calm now*
sorry about that...

Shadow
2009-10-20, 11:16 AM
SHADOW!
*hugs*
I haven't seen you in ages. Where've you been? How's life at the bar?

I've been AWOL a bit, randomly stopping in once in a while.
And I've been wonderful!
And I have no clue how the bar is doing. I got the hell out of there. The owners wouldn't listen to a word, and thought they knew what they were doing, and were basically driving the business into the ground, so I bailed.

How've you been?
And Vamp3 is recruiting as we speak, if you're interested. :smallwink:

Trobby
2009-10-20, 11:18 AM
Well the whole family idea was started, iirc, by SweetRein. I, somehow, got declared to be her "mamma." No clue how that originated but you know how it is on the forums, someone makes something up and you roll with it. :smallbiggrin:

Over the course of the next several months the family kept growing. At some point I was declared a grandmama, apparently, by virtue of being a mama earlier I would guess. I'd look again at the chart but I lose sanity each time I do. :smalltongue:

I know at some point I mentioned in an AIM chat that someone should make a family tree since the whole thing was already beginning to get all convoluted and ridiculous. Then once that was made it got exponentially expanded. Still expanding I see. :smallamused:

... Uncle Trog just about goes broke covering all the nieces' and nephews' birthday cards. :smalleek:

:smallconfused: Hmm...I don't think you could be the grandmama or uncle to my son...we're about the same age on the forum...in fact, I joined earlier than you!

...:smallamused: Brother Trog. *hugs* ^^ Son, come give your uncle a hug!

My hands are covered in paint. Whee!

Oooh....fingerpainting, or just really sloppy regular painting? Either way, sounds like fun.

Nameless
2009-10-20, 11:27 AM
Painting with a brush, but I use my fingers sometimes. :smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-20, 11:30 AM
And I have no clue how the bar is doing. I got the hell out of there. The owners wouldn't listen to a word, and thought they knew what they were doing, and were basically driving the business into the ground, so I bailed.

That makes me a sad dragon.

Coidzor
2009-10-20, 11:33 AM
My local optometrist will fix bent glasses for free if he's not busy, but since I live on a farm I can't get to him conveniently so I make do.

Surely you must go in to town with some regularity, impress upon them that keep you of the importance of proper alignment after having had the condition steadily worsen, and that being worth an extra half hour.

Shadow
2009-10-20, 11:41 AM
That makes me a sad dragon.
Makes me a happy shade. :smallbiggrin:

I busted my @$& with 60-90 hour work weeks for a year.
Every step I took forward, the owners forced me two steps backward.
You'd think that if you hired someone to do a job, that you'd *let* them do it, but that wasn't the case. Not only did they not listen to the person that they hired to get the place running the way that it shouyld, but in most cases they did the exact opposite of what I said.

After a year of this, I bailed. That was a few weeks ago, and a gigantic weight has been lifted.
But better than that?
I talked them into *laying me off* instead of me quitting, so I'm on a mini-vaca with unemployment. Much deserved, in my opinion.

But better than that?
My father got laid off too.
Why is that good? :smallconfused:
Because he's seen how much effort I'm willing to put into it, and we're currently searching for a location for our *own* pub, and we've found a couple that we like.

I've been spending a *ton* of time running numbers lately to see which, if any, are reasonably feasible for us to take over.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-20, 11:45 AM
Makes me a happy shade. :smallbiggrin:

I busted my @$& with 60-90 hour work weeks for a year.
Every step I took forward, the owners forced me two steps backward.
You'd think that if you hired someone to do a job, that you'd *let* them do it, but that wasn't the case. Not only did they not listen to the person that they hired to get the place running the way that it shouyld, but in most cases they did the exact opposite of what I said.

After a year of this, I bailed. That was a few weeks ago, and a gigantic weight has been lifted.
But better than that?
I talked them into *laying me off* instead of me quitting, so I'm on a mini-vaca with unemployment. Much deserved, in my opinion.

But better than that?
My father got laid off too.
Why is that good? :smallconfused:
Because he's seen how much effort I'm willing to put into it, and we're currently searching for a location for our *own* pub, and we've found a couple that we like.

I've been spending a *ton* of time running numbers lately to see which, if any, are reasonably feasible for us to take over.

...Shadow, when you open your pub, I will definitely have to come visit. *snuggles*

^_^

Shadow
2009-10-20, 11:48 AM

...Shadow, when you open your pub, I will definitely have to come visit. *snuggles*

^_^

Ikari!

Don't worry, if/when it happens, I'm sure you'll hear about it.
But even if one of these places we're looking at right now pans out, it'll be quite a long while before we're ready to rock.

Trobby
2009-10-20, 11:49 AM
;o Indeed, all of us Playgrounders who are of age should visit your pub. Mostly because a good pub is an awesome one, but one filled with playgrounders would be the best pub ever. :smallbiggrin:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-20, 11:50 AM
Ikari!

Don't worry, if/when it happens, I'm sure you'll hear about it.
But even if one of these places we're looking at right now pans out, it'll be quite a long while before we're ready to rock.

That's ok. That gives me some time to turn 21. =3

*hugs*

smellie_hippie
2009-10-20, 11:53 AM
This gives me another excuse to try and find a way up to Chicago sometime. The meet-up should have been enough... but buying a house is expensive. So after the first few payments are down, I'll try and bring the wife up for a drink and some games with our "northern friends".

*eyeballs Canada suspiciously*

Shadow
2009-10-20, 11:57 AM
And now I've realized how much I've missed all of you in my pseudo-absence.
:biggrin:

Nameless
2009-10-20, 12:03 PM
;o Indeed, all of us Playgrounders who are of age should visit your pub. Mostly because a good pub is an awesome one, but one filled with playgrounders would be the best pub ever. :smallbiggrin:

OMGITSGONNABEAWESOME!:smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2009-10-20, 12:05 PM

Man, that would be awesome. Except for I couldn't really get there very easily. Curse the Atlantic Ocean again! (Oh, right, I took that out of my signature. Well, gives me time to think of an interesting way to say '5 times' before I put it back...)

Although, the idea of visiting Shadow's bar is potentially worrying if you then read the Duos quote in his sig.
Lex Luthor + Professor Moriarty + Spiders + Alcohol = ...I don't think I want to find out.

Shadow
2009-10-20, 12:11 PM
Although, the idea of visiting Shadow's bar is potentially worrying if you then read the Duos quote in his sig.
Lex Luthor + Professor Moriarty + Spiders + Alcohol = ...I don't think I want to find out.

Nah, that's only in regards to WW (back when I had time to play *my* game).
It has nothing to do with my supposed alcoholism.
There are probably about 40 playgrounders (or so) that can attest to my *not* being an evil bastard.
Loud & obnoxious, sure.
Evil, not so much.

I'm not really a Magnificent Bastard, but I play one on GitP. :smallwink:

edit: And I now have time to play *my* game again.... :smallamused:

Trobby
2009-10-20, 12:18 PM
Hmm...Chicago you say? I know some people there...Ah, but I'm getting ahead of myself. ^^; I don't even have a place of my own yet.

Thufir
2009-10-20, 12:18 PM

Actually, I meant more that one does not generally want to face a cross between Lex Luthor and Professor Moriarty made of spiders while drunk. Or at all, I guess, but even less so while drunk.

*Checks games* I'm not in any games with you at the moment, so I don't have to worry yet...

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-20, 12:23 PM
There are probably about 40 playgrounders (or so) that can attest to my *not* being an evil bastard.
Loud & obnoxious, sure.
Evil, not so much.

I'm not really a Magnificent Bastard, but I play one on GitP. :smallwink:

Shadow is a Magnificently Loveable Bastard. And he gives a good hug. *hugs* ^_^

When I grow up, I hope I'm half as cool as he is. =3

Trog
2009-10-20, 12:29 PM
:smalleek: Wow. Well good you got out to pursue other opportunities. I take it the logo thing never took then? :smallamused:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-20, 12:44 PM
I've been AWOL a bit, randomly stopping in once in a while.
And I've been wonderful!

At first, I was a little worried, and then I read the rest of the posts on the page, and I've decided to join in the the general "A pub owned by a Playgrounder would rock" feeling. Because it would rock.
Glad you made the move and stood up to the interfering employees.

How've you been?
And Vamp3 is recruiting as we speak, if you're interested. :smallwink:

Well, I'm a slightly hungry university student off to her first rehearsal of the Mikado in half an hour. Umm, I've almost resolved my first essay crisis, only about four hundred words before I hit the 'absolute' limit for a read essay, so it's all good.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/solarturtle/CurlyKitpire.png
"Vampire eh? Vhy, Count von Shadow, you do know how to garner ze interest of ze young vampire don't you?"

Consider me signed up.

Gullara
2009-10-20, 12:50 PM
And now I've realized how much I've missed all of you in my pseudo-absence.

I don't know you but hi

Trobby
2009-10-20, 12:53 PM

...Thus, further solidifying the slight crush I have on CurlyKit. :smallredface: Don't worry. I'm not going to pursue it. You're a wonderful girl, but I'm already in love. ^.^ And the boy who wins your heart will be a lucky man indeed.

I don't know you but hi

I second this notion, and add a Kirby!

(^o^) Hiiii!!

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-20, 02:32 PM
I. Fail.
I checked Google Maps, and saw that X was on X Street and thought, "Well, duh. That makes sense." and set off to X.
Only X Street was all the back of buildings that weren't part of X at all for some reason. ANd the lane melted into X Lane for no reaon which then lead to the front of Z.
So I set off done a parallel street thinking logically, that it must therefore lead to the front of the buildings in X Street which is place X.
But they weren't either.

So after half an hour of wondering around hopelessly after the tme the rehearsal started (plus ten or fifteen minutes or so before that) I gave up and bought a samosa before going home.
There were peas in the samosa. It was the first I'd ever had too.

Fail.

I'm glad I emailed my interest in the play, but said I probably woulnd't be able to go tonight anyway.
WHat miffs me is that I threw up the chance of going to a Japanese restaurant that I'd already been to and enjoyed. And hanging out with friends. And going to the pub. And finishing off my essay for that rehearsal.
Oh don't worry, I had two hundred words left 'til my limit anyway and it's all but done now.
Stupid maze.

EDIT:
Also, my tea is really cold even though I only made it ten minutes ago. Fail. Why is my Fail contagious right now?

Dragonrider
2009-10-20, 02:39 PM
I. Fail.

This reminds me of the time my favorite professor was talking really fast and garbled a sentence three times before he slapped his hands down on the lectern, rolled his eyes theatrically, and said slowly and deliberately,

"Epic. Fail."

Needless to say, we all lol'd. :smallbiggrin: The situation was compounded when a smart-aleck in the back row said,

"You're an historian, which means you're allowed to say 'epoch fail'."

The professor threw his piece of chalk in the guy's general direction and said, "God! You're an incorrigible punster! I guess I had better stop incorriging you...."

and the guy said off-handedly, "Eh...one F and I'll stop." :smallamused:

XD

This is my favoritest class EVER.

Assassin89
2009-10-20, 02:42 PM
I. Fail.
I checked Google Maps, and saw that X was on X Street and thought, "Well, duh. That makes sense." and set off to X.
Only X Street was all the back of buildings that weren't part of X at all for some reason. ANd the lane melted into X Lane for no reaon which then lead to the front of Z.
So I set off done a parallel street thinking logically, that it must therefore lead to the front of the buildings in X Street which is place X.
But they weren't either.

So after half an hour of wondering around hopelessly after the tme the rehearsal started (plus ten or fifteen minutes or so before that) I gave up and bought a samosa before going home.
There were peas in the samosa. It was the first I'd ever had too.

Fail.

I'm glad I emailed my interest in the play, but said I probably woulnd't be able to go tonight anyway.
WHat miffs me is that I threw up the chance of going to a Japanese restaurant that I'd already been to and enjoyed. And hanging out with friends. And going to the pub. And finishing off my essay for that rehearsal.
Oh don't worry, I had two hundred words left 'til my limit anyway and it's all but done now.
Stupid maze.

EDIT:
Also, my tea is really cold even though I only made it ten minutes ago. Fail. Why is my Fail contagious right now?

I know a building that is like the streets that you traversed. It is a real maze. Some rooms are difficult to find and there are multiple corridors that lead to the same area.

Also on your tea, I think thermodynamics caused the heat of the tea to dissipate in ten minutes, matching the temperature of the room, which would mean cold tea. That or the water used to make the tea was cold.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-20, 02:51 PM

I'm happy once more.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-20, 03:04 PM
@DeeRee: I love your professor too. He's excellent.

I know a building that is like the streets that you traversed. It is a real maze. Some rooms are difficult to find and there are multiple corridors that lead to the same area.

The entire city's like that. Stupid pre - Hastings cities that have been continually built and expanded upon without actualy changing the original layout of the core medieval and pre - medieval centre all that much.

Also on your tea, I think thermodynamics caused the heat of the tea to dissipate in ten minutes, matching the temperature of the room, which would mean cold tea. That or the water used to make the tea was cold.

I may be absent - minded on occasion, but I m also a Britlander. I do not forget to boil my water for tea. And the room's not that cold either.

Trobby
2009-10-20, 03:17 PM
I. Fail.

:smallfrown: *hugs* We all have navigation issues at one point, Curly. At the very least, it's good that they managed to get along on their own. Sorry to hear you couldn't attend it though...sounds like it would've been pretty neat.

EleventhHour
2009-10-20, 03:26 PM
I may be absent - minded on occasion, but I m also a Britlander. I do not forget to boil my water for tea. And the room's not that cold either.

'twas a magical cuppa' tea, that hardly wanted to waste it's darn good warmth down your gullet.

:smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-20, 03:43 PM
*snip*
(Shadow is going to open a bar in some time*
*snip*

That, my good sir, sounds awesome.
Just in time for me to start legally drinking the U.S.A.; No?
:smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-20, 04:09 PM
The laptop hates me. No sooner had I finished typing my last entry in my bibliography did it suddenly freeze and crash.
Luckily, my paranoia loves me as I only had to retype about half a line of essay title.

On the plus side: HA! I beat the essay crisis! With hours to spare. I'd have done it faster, but procrastination is a mean mistress indeed.

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-20, 04:16 PM
Grapes!!! Grapes!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhh

Trobby
2009-10-20, 04:17 PM
Grapes of Wrath? o.o Where?

Also, congrats on beating the Essay Monster, Curly. *Rewards her with 500 XP and Treasure*

Gamerlord
2009-10-20, 04:41 PM
stupid pit fiends, trick me into coming to this diminshion, nobody here even knows psionics...

Anyway, congrats on your essay!

A mind flayer could do better...

Phase
2009-10-20, 05:11 PM
Thufir, it's all your fault that I was walking down the halls singing "A British tar" today. :smallannoyed: It's stuck in my head and WON'T LEAVE.

Anyway, good work on your essay, Curly one. I have an in-class essay on the Crucible tomorrow, so yeah.

Zocelot
2009-10-20, 05:16 PM
Tomorrow is science day! I'm heading to the Perimeter Institute in Waterloo (a town about an hour away from Toronto) for some lectures and demos. Really looking forward to this, science is cool.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-20, 05:31 PM
So, I got my flu shot today, (had to as mom is a Nurse Practitioner, and her job requires her immediate family to get shots... although that could be kinda illegal, in a few ways... :smallconfused:. I digress.) and they've devised a new way to deliver the syringe. It's not the usual, easing it in so slowly and skillfully one doesn't feel it... nope, none of that. They have a contraption, powered by compressed air canisters, that launch the syringe at you. Like a gun. That shoots a needle. With a virus in it.

:smalleek:.

All in all though, it wasn't that bad. Anyone else gotten theirs yet?

V'icternus
2009-10-20, 05:35 PM
That sounds back. I don't even like normal, non-catapaulted needles...

Thufir
2009-10-20, 05:38 PM
Thufir, it's all your fault that I was walking down the halls singing "A British tar" today. :smallannoyed: It's stuck in my head and WON'T LEAVE.

:smallbiggrin: :smalltongue: I'm Ralph... :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: We have a script read-through on thursday which will be good. Rest of the cast looks good, though Josephine is a new soprano who I don't know yet.

ION: Due to unfortunate food shortages, I ate my meals in reverse order today. Fried rice around lunchtime, sandwich(Once I'd gone out and bought some bread) before G&S rehearsal, bowl of cereal after rehearsal. Oh, and then apple pie, 'cause my housemates are a bit awesome like that.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-20, 05:39 PM
That sounds back. I don't even like normal, non-catapaulted needles...

Agreed. It's like a hand held trebuchet and immunization...

Also, I just found this (the last sentence in the Gettyburg address, diagrammed) and I don't really know how to respond...
http://www.geocities.com/gene_moutoux/gettysburg10.jpg

Dogmantra
2009-10-20, 05:44 PM
My lamp by my computer just went kaboom... AGAIN. This is something like the 6th time it's blown more than enthusiastically (one time, the bulb part actually came apart from the metal holder that screws into the lamp). Now it smells of gunpowder, my computer screen is hurting my eyes because it's dark and I don't have another bulb.

Woe is me.

Coidzor
2009-10-20, 05:47 PM
Dogberry, this is what we like to call the point where you throw out the godsbedamned lamp and get a new one that doesn't explode.

Honestly. 6 times now? 6? And you haven't done anything about it? :smalleek:

Dogmantra
2009-10-20, 05:50 PM
The other lamp that sits by my bed that is friggin' identical right down to the day of purchase has never exploded.

I am so irritated by this, that I feel I must use excessive formatting

Trobby
2009-10-20, 05:55 PM
Then you ought to get a refund on the lamp that keeps making your lightbulbs explode, and get a new lamp to replace it. It could very well have faulty wiring.

Pyrian
2009-10-20, 06:06 PM
Or try switching them to see if there's something in the placement, usage, or outlet causing the problem. :smalltongue:

Zocelot
2009-10-20, 06:09 PM

You got it lucky, I have this (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/Amazing+Horse/) stuck on an infinite loop in my head.

Coidzor
2009-10-20, 06:10 PM
Honestly. Would you just sit there while pigeon upon pigeon crapped on you? No. You'd move. And if they kept following you to crap on you some more you'd investigate as to what the hell was attracting them.

Alarra
2009-10-20, 06:38 PM
we're currently searching for a location for our *own* pub, and we've found a couple that we like.

awesome. very very awesome. you put in too much work in that place to not get as much out of it as you would were it your own. *makes more plans to go to chicago sometime*

And yes, I've gotten my flu shot...it seemed just like any other shot though, no fancy contraptions.

Fostire
2009-10-20, 06:39 PM
Honestly. Would you just sit there while pigeon upon pigeon crapped on you? No. You'd move. And if they kept following you to crap on you some more you'd investigate as to what the hell was attracting them.

...or shoot them.

Although that probably won't work on your lamp.

Gamerlord
2009-10-20, 06:41 PM
The lamp is a Demonically possessed lamp, exorcise it.

I won't get a flu shot, it is more deadly then the flu itself!

billtodamax
2009-10-20, 06:48 PM
I dunno, I'm fine with getting pricked if it means not getting sick.
*Is currently sick*
*hating it*

Phase
2009-10-20, 06:54 PM

Oh yeah. Sorry Coid. I forgot I left those laxative breadcrumbs in your pants pocket.

Coidzor
2009-10-20, 06:56 PM
'sok. The homeless ate pigeon pie for a whole week after that fiasco. So I guess alls well that ends well with me scrubbing my flesh off with steel wool.

Dogmantra
2009-10-20, 07:04 PM

That is the best pigeon based analogy I've heard all day.

Pyrian
2009-10-20, 07:06 PM
Out of how many? :smallconfused:

Dogmantra
2009-10-20, 07:11 PM
Oh, at least fourteen. I lost count.

DraPrime
2009-10-20, 07:15 PM
Oh, at least fourteen. I lost count.

That's not many pigeon analogies for just one day.

Dogmantra
2009-10-20, 08:38 PM
Well, as I say, I lost count. It was probably somewhere in the hundreds.

SDF
2009-10-20, 08:52 PM
Hee hee, one of my friends just messaged me asking if another one of my friends was single... it was pretty much adorable. :smalltongue:

Nano
2009-10-20, 09:32 PM
The guys who made the DVD version of Fight Club are such absolute jerks. Special features indeed.

Phase
2009-10-20, 09:44 PM
Goddamn you, MSPaint adventures. I don't have TIME to re-read Problem Sleuth. I'm busy.

Fostire
2009-10-20, 09:48 PM
I just checked my email and I had an email telling me that my internet would be down for 2 hours starting at 10am. The email was sent at 10:30am.

Also I've spent the last 3 hours listening to Disney songs on youtube. This is the third night in a row I've done this. I think I may be getting addicted :smalltongue:

Groundhog
2009-10-20, 09:51 PM
Well, as I say, I lost count. It was probably somewhere in the hundreds.

You've been hanging out with pigeon addicts too much, I can tell.

toasty
2009-10-20, 10:33 PM
Also I've spent the last 3 hours listening to Disney songs on youtube. This is the third night in a row I've done this. I think I may be getting addicted :smalltongue:

By disney I hope you mean the Lion King and Aladin, and not Hannah Montana or Jonas Brothers? *shudders*

Interesting fact: I've discovered I will cut myself less (or that it will hurt less, I can't tell which) if I only shave every other day. So I alternate between washing my hair and shaving now.

Shadow
2009-10-20, 10:51 PM
:smalleek: Wow. Well good you got out to pursue other opportunities. I take it the logo thing never took then? :smallamused:

Nope. I never gave itn to them.
Once I saw it going down (even worse than it was) I decided they didn't deserve it, and I never gave them a copy.
I can be vindictive like that.

At first, I was a little worried, and then I read the rest of the posts on the page, and I've decided to join in the the general "A pub owned by a Playgrounder would rock" feeling. Because it would rock.
Glad you made the move and stood up to the interfering employees. Interfering *employers* to be exact. :smallwink:

"Vampire eh? Vhy, Count von Shadow, you do know how to garner ze interest of ze young vampire don't you?"

Consider me signed up.
That's why I mentioned it. :biggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-20, 11:32 PM
I've been spending a *ton* of time running numbers lately to see which, if any, are reasonably feasible for us to take over.Heh, "Shadow's Bar 'n' Grill, Without a Grill" I like it. If I could make just one tiny suggestion? You shouldn't do it in Chicago. *cough*Baltimore*cough* Why? Not enough playgrounder population density. *cough*DC*cough* I'm not sure where else you might consider *cough*Johnson City*cough* but I imagine there must be somewhere. Ahem.

Anuan
2009-10-21, 12:14 AM
On bars and stuff; The first mouthful of the original flavour of Monster Energy has an aftertaste that very briefly shouts 'very cheap nasty lager.'
Don't serve cheap nasty lager in your bar, Shadow.

Also, one of three of my actually-worried-about exams is DOWN!
Two exams down total. It is nine days until I finish high school. FINALLY :smallsigh:

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-21, 12:29 AM
On bars and stuff; The first mouthful of the original flavour of Monster Energy has an aftertaste that very briefly shouts 'very cheap nasty lager.'

Also, one of three of my actually-worried-about exams is DOWN!
Two exams down total. It is nine days until I finish high school. FINALLY :smallsigh:It's perfectly acceptable to sell cheap nasty lager, so long as that's not all you serve. Some folks just don't have the palate for a decent brew. :smallcool:

DrakebloodIV
2009-10-21, 12:31 AM

Monster and Redbull both have that sort of flavor for me. They seem like they're saying 'EARN YOUR CAFFINE, DAMMIT', which I won't do cause I drink sissy drinks. I do like Amp, though. It's sweet as Staypuffed mans kidnies, perfect for us appletini drinking wimps :smalltongue:.

Anuan
2009-10-21, 12:43 AM
Monster Guava is fantastic though...Redbull is fine, but not what I'd choose.
Buzzmonkey is okay. Guavaish.
...I like Guava.

It's perfectly acceptable to sell cheap nasty lager, so long as that's not all you serve. Some folks just don't have the palate for a decent brew. :smallcool:

Then maybe they shouldn't drink at bars >.>

Alteran
2009-10-21, 12:46 AM
Monster Guava is fantastic though...Redbull is fine, but not what I'd choose.
Buzzmonkey is okay. Guavaish.
...I like Guava.

*high five*

Guava is an excellent fruit. Although now that I think about it, I've never had plain guava. I've only had guava juices. I must remedy this some day.

Anuan
2009-10-21, 12:51 AM
I've only had guava-flavoured stuff too...Hmm.
This is going to be dissapointing when I have actual Guava v-v

Alarra
2009-10-21, 01:04 AM
I won't get a flu shot, it is more deadly then the flu itself!

I don't usually get flu shots cause I tend to get the flu when I get them. But now it's basically required since I'm working with kids. I have no intention of getting the H1N1 shot though, heard too many bad rumors.

*seconds the idea that Shadow should open said bar in Baltimore or DC*

Oh and mmmmmmm guava. One of my favorite juices. I've never had it non-juice form either.

Speaking of new and interesting fruits...(not that guava's new, but it's mildly interesting)... I had kiwi berries today. Coolest fruit ever. Cause I love kiwi, but the fuzzy skin is a huge pain. These are like grapes, but with kiwi inside.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-21, 01:09 AM
Then maybe they shouldn't drink at bars >.>Could be also that we're not in consensus about what qualifies as "cheap nasty lager" too. For some it means Milwaukee's Best or anything else you can get for $6USD for a case. For others it might be Bud Light. Still others feel that any macrobrew, including the likes of Sam Adams and all of their various offerings, aren't good enough to bother with and only microbrews should be supported. (Admittedly, this is a very small minority, but I've met one or two.) Personally, my bar is mainstream products like Coors and Budweiser are just below the "its okay for other folks, but I'd rather have something else" line. Sam Adams is a staple in my house because it's a good balance between "affordable" and "worth consuming", but if I were a millionaire I'd step it up quite a bit.

EDIT:
I don't usually get flu shots cause I tend to get the flu when I get them. But now it's basically required since I'm working with kids. I have no intention of getting the H1N1 shot though, heard too many bad rumors.Wait, what? I thought you were going to get it? What rumors? What about the news reports saying that "unlike seasonal flu, which is most dangerous for the elderly, H1N1 appears to be most hazardous to healthy men and women under 30?" :smalleek: This is your mother's fault, isn't it?

SDF
2009-10-21, 01:14 AM
I don't usually get flu shots cause I tend to get the flu when I get them. But now it's basically required since I'm working with kids. I have no intention of getting the H1N1 shot though, heard too many bad rumors.

*seconds the idea that Shadow should open said bar in Baltimore or DC*

Oh and mmmmmmm guava. One of my favorite juices. I've never had it non-juice form either.

You don't actually get the flu from the flu shot. It doesn't work that way. It is an autoimmune response to your body protecting itself from the flu. Most times when you get a virus or bacterial infection the symptoms you get are not from the disease itself, rather it is your body's reaction to the disease.

Coidzor
2009-10-21, 01:23 AM
I'm pretty sure Budweiser branded things are Pilsners not Lagers. :smallconfused:

I've never heard of cheap lagers, for that matter. Nasty ones, to be sure, but they at least had some cost to them for not being pilsners.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-21, 01:36 AM
I'm pretty sure Budweiser branded things are Pilsners not Lagers. :smallconfused:

I've never heard of cheap lagers, for that matter. Nasty ones, to be sure, but they at least had some cost to them for not being pilsners."Beer" is divided into to two major categories, lagers and ales. These are based on the type of yeast used and the temperatures at which those yeasts thrive. A pilsener falls under the subcategorization of pale lager and is characterized by a more "hoppy" flavor (Pilsener Urquell being a model example of this style). Bud and Coors, while similar and also pale lagers (derived from pilseners, no less), are considered American style lagers, characterized by their use of non-traditional grains for the malt process, such as rice and corn, giving them a milder flavor that is less offensive to the palate of the masses.

Alarra
2009-10-21, 02:01 AM
EDIT:Wait, what? I thought you were going to get it? What rumors? What about the news reports saying that "unlike seasonal flu, which is most dangerous for the elderly, H1N1 appears to be most hazardous to healthy men and women under 30?" :smalleek: This is your mother's fault, isn't it?
No. I always said I wasn't getting it.

You don't actually get the flu from the flu shot. It doesn't work that way. It is an autoimmune response to your body protecting itself from the flu. Most times when you get a virus or bacterial infection the symptoms you get are not from the disease itself, rather it is your body's reaction to the disease.
No...I don't get the flu from the shot. I just get the flu, usually some time later in the season. It seems weird, but when I don't get it, I usually make it through unscathed. The vaccine seems to make me more susceptible and have it worse later. This could just be my mistaken perception though.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-21, 02:19 AM
No. I always said I wasn't getting it.This is not how I recall our conversation ending. :smallcool:

In other news...

From CNN

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/12/marge.simpson.playboy/art.marge.simpson.playboy.courtesy.jpg.jpg

This is not a fake. It's the actual November cover.

Alarra
2009-10-21, 02:26 AM
Completely unrelated topic shift...

So, my brother lives in San Diego, and last night they lost to the Denver Broncos. So, this morning, he was flying from San Diego to Denver and as they arrive, the pilot says "Welcome to sunny Denver, Colorado. Home of the amazing and still undefeated Denver Broncos" To which the whole plane boos.

Coidzor
2009-10-21, 02:29 AM
I think the pilot just wanted to hear some booing, myself.

Also, god that still weirds me right the **** out, Zeb.

Trobby
2009-10-21, 02:39 AM
Are you kidding? I was always weirded out by the utterly bizarre and very stupid campaign of trying to make Marge Simpson a sex symbol.

She is a middle-aged housewife. With hair like a Troll. And acts like a nagging mother all the time. When in the course of human events did it occur to someone they should EVER try to make that sexy?

I just...I...AAUGH! D:< BLACK HOLE!

http://thesamerowdycrowd.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/black-hole.jpg

...:smallsmile: I sure am glad that that image never existed. Ever.

On the unrelated topic, that's kinda like going up to a New Englander and congratulating them on having a Football team that ran a perfect season. Ouch...:smalleek: Poor judgment on the pilot's part.

V'icternus
2009-10-21, 03:31 AM
This is not how I recall our conversation ending. :smallcool:

In other news...

From CNN

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/12/marge.simpson.playboy/art.marge.simpson.playboy.courtesy.jpg.jpg

I know, it's crazy!

I mentioned it on the last RB thread, I think...

It's weirding me out...

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-21, 03:43 AM
She is a middle-aged housewife. With hair like a Troll.Hey! My hair is neither blue nor beehived. It's not even beehive-able.

I know, it's crazy!

I mentioned it on the last RB thread, I think...

It's weirding me out...Sorry, I totally missed the last RB. I just saw it on Headline News and went searching for the link to say something about it.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-21, 04:17 AM
"Beer" is divided into to two major categories, lagers and ales. These are based on the type of yeast used and the temperatures at which those yeasts thrive. A pilsener falls under the subcategorization of pale lager and is characterized by a more "hoppy" flavor (Pilsener Urquell being a model example of this style). Bud and Coors, while similar and also pale lagers (derived from pilseners, no less), are considered American style lagers, characterized by their use of non-traditional grains for the malt process, such as rice and corn, giving them a milder flavor that is less offensive to the palate of the masses.

Hehehehe.
American lager and beer.
If you want proper stuff, try here or the mainland. Lordy, lord, lord, the number of disparaging remarks I've had about the love in a canoe style American beers and lagers.
And oddly, I seem to prefer ale. Mainly because lager tastes awful, but also because there's a certain type of people (here in Britland) who drink it: chavs.

NOTE: I've only ever sipped ale and lager. Never tried it fully. Don't take me on my word as a seasoned beer drinker.

In other news...

From CNN

This confuses me and makes me feel strange.
There shouldn't be a Marge Simpson on the cover. She's not sexy, or even all that pretty to look like. Admittedly, if her hair was down . . . she'd look slightly better.
Plus I think it has something to do with the angle of the arm and the point of the ear over it.
And how many young children are going to see Marge on the front and want their parent to buy it for them. Imagine the awkward explanations.

Why am I here so early?
Have to read out my essay and I'm nervous. I'm prepared for it to be ripped to pieces. And I'm losing my voice.
Stupid illness.
And my class has been moved back an hour, but that's actually a good thing because we all voluntarily asked for it as our Intro to OE Grammar was moved to the same time as our class slot this week.
NERVES!

EDIT:
And the eyes! Her eyes stare at you in a non - sultry way. Unblinking, wide eyes, gazing at you. And you know you;'re wrong because you're essentially looking at porn of cartoon characters.
Why, hello, rule 34, glad to see magazines are now introducing you to the world.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-21, 04:43 AM
Hehehehe.
American lager and beer.
If you want proper stuff, try here or the mainland. Lordy, lord, lord, the number of disparaging remarks I've had about the love in a canoe style American beers and lagers.
And oddly, I seem to prefer ale. Mainly because lager tastes awful, but also because there's a certain type of people (here in Britland) who drink it: chavs.

NOTE: I've only ever sipped ale and lager. Never tried it fully. Don't take me on my word as a seasoned beer drinker.Again, I must stress that "lager" is a very, very broad category of beer and one shouldn't discount all styles because of a preconceived notion that all lagers are like pilseners or American style lagers*. Examples of other very popular styles are the bock, Vienna, dunkel, and Oktoberfest. Each has it's own distinct flavors and characteristics. For example, a bock starts with a very high specific gravity and the result is a lager that is very rich and heavy and almost sweet to taste. A doppelbock (double bock) even moreso.

The same goes for ales. There is a world of difference between a hefeweizen (literally "wheat beer"), an India pale ale (or IPA), and a porter. A lambic is a very specific kind of ale that's fermented using wild yeasts (the fermenters aren't sealed, so whatever yeast is floating around in the air can get in and effect the flavor) that produces some very distinctive and interesting characteristics.

*I'd also like to emphasize that not all beers made in America are American style lagers and that there are a great many fantastic beers brewed here that have nothing in common with the traditional Bud or Coors.

Phase
2009-10-21, 05:30 AM
And the eyes! Her eyes stare at you in a non - sultry way. Unblinking, wide eyes, gazing at you. And you know you;'re wrong because you're essentially looking at porn of cartoon characters.
Why, hello, rule 34, glad to see magazines are now introducing you to the world.

Rule 34 is like a virus. It was always gonna spread beyond its confines sooner or later. Pretty soon it will be the societal norm, and then I'll be forced to drift out of orbit.

HellfireLover
2009-10-21, 05:54 AM
Because I am alone in the office and if I don't tell someone about this I will EXPLODE this very second...

I just discovered that Idlewild are playing near me in eleven days and I didn't know about it and I've wanted to see them forever aaaaaaaaaaah! *thrashes wildly*

V'icternus
2009-10-21, 06:12 AM
Rule 34 is like a virus. It was always gonna spread beyond its confines sooner or later. Pretty soon it will be the societal norm, and then I'll be forced to drift out of orbit.

And then we'll start thinking about the moon, and bam! Moon porn. :smalltongue:

Recaiden
2009-10-21, 06:33 AM

You're drifting out of orbit anyway. Don't try and blame this on us.

Thufir
2009-10-21, 08:20 AM
http://thesamerowdycrowd.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/black-hole.jpg

Ooh, accretion disc + gas jets. Pretty, and scientifically fascinating.

Neko Toast
2009-10-21, 08:35 AM
Graaaaah, lack of sleep. Although it feels like I've gotten enough, I only slept for about five hours last night (it's what I get for eating a lot of fatty food yesterday...). I've been thinking of taking either a fiber or probiotic supplement to help ease my symptoms a bit. Dunno what exactly I should take, though. After doing a bit of research on the net, it seems like a probiotic is the best idea. Looks like I'll have to go to the pharmacy today.

Dogmantra
2009-10-21, 08:44 AM
Is it just me that finds it really cute that a couple are communicating over RB (and actually finding new stuff out) rather than speaking in person? Zeb and Alarra are adorabubble.

Fostire
2009-10-21, 09:51 AM
By disney I hope you mean the Lion King and Aladin, and not Hannah Montana or Jonas Brothers? *shudders*

Only the classics. Of course now I want to watch all of those movies again.

In other news: I just saw a guy going to class on a unicycle. It was weird, yet awesome.

Haruki-kun
2009-10-21, 09:52 AM
In other news: I just saw a guy going to class on a unicycle. It was weird, yet awesome.

I've seen that. Always fun to watch. :smallbiggrin:

There's a guy who rides a Unicycle in my school. He's famous for it.

Jack Squat
2009-10-21, 10:03 AM
There's a guy who rides a Unicycle in my school. He's famous for it.

That was me in High School. It all started with me being in a hurry to get ready for a show-and-tell for English one day.

No, I don't have a clue why we were doing show-and-tell in High School English.

toasty
2009-10-21, 10:05 AM
Only the classics. Of course now I want to watch all of those movies again.

Good. For a second I though we were gonna have to burn you at the stake. :smallbiggrin:

Gullara
2009-10-21, 10:15 AM
Wooooooot!!!
The Halloween dress like a playgrounder week is finally close enough for me o put on my costume:smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2009-10-21, 10:32 AM
Wooooooot!!!
The Halloween dress like a playgrounder week is finally close enough for me o put on my costume:smalltongue:

me too! :smallbiggrin:

Tiger Duck
2009-10-21, 10:36 AM
That's a very good costume, my first reaction was who did Felixaar dressed like? :smallsmile:

Snuggels For Everyone:smallbiggrin:

Alarra
2009-10-21, 10:44 AM
Is it just me that finds it really cute that a couple are communicating over RB (and actually finding new stuff out) rather than speaking in person? Zeb and Alarra are adorabubble.

Well....we are across the country from one another at the moment. :smallsmile:

Haruki-kun
2009-10-21, 11:09 AM
Wooooooot!!!

:smalleek:

Crap, I haven't even started mine..... Or Maggy's.....<.<

Dogmantra
2009-10-21, 11:12 AM
Well....we are across the country from one another at the moment. :smallsmile:

Oh right...
Still, phones or something? :smalltongue:

Gullara
2009-10-21, 11:12 AM

Only 4 days left

Thufir
2009-10-21, 11:47 AM

I've mostly done mine! :smallbiggrin: Or to put it another way, I've done several of mine, as my awesome idea requires multiple avatars...

Trobby
2009-10-21, 12:13 PM
Ooh, accretion disc + gas jets. Pretty, and scientifically fascinating.

Thanks. :smallwink: I did an entire study on black holes in college. I figure I'd get the real good stuff. :3

Also, I've been in my halloween costume for almost a week now. :smallfrown: It's a shame I won't be around ON Halloween to revel with the rest of you. DR, your costume is so perfect I almost didn't recognize you. :smallbiggrin: And the Muave Shirt costume? Wonderful! :smalltongue:

Quincunx
2009-10-21, 12:25 PM
Oh right...
Still, phones or something? :smalltongue:

Phones cost, more so when international. Also, text is easier to sneak in at work. :smallwink:

Now, in the vein of costumes, I have to go figure out what went wrong on the ol' sewing machine this time and why it had to let go within two weeks (read: too late for repair shop turnaround) of Halloween. Unleash the tinker gnome!

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-21, 12:40 PM
I've mostly done mine! :smallbiggrin: Or to put it another way, I've done several of mine, as my awesome idea requires multiple avatars...

Curly doesn't have one so she's going to use one of her other other other avvies instead. Like the ghost. Or the zombie. Or Sally. Or Jack Skellington.
Or Freddie!

And Thufir? I curse you sig! Because I know the tune to that song, but I couldn't remember any of the words past 'His eyes' so you had me humming the first few lines of that song all day.
Even in my OE Grammar lecture!

Be afraid Thufir, be very afraid.

Now I must go read The Mill on the Floss and write an essay on bildungsroman.
And the sci-fi/fantasy book club too. It's aliens today.

Trobby
2009-10-21, 12:47 PM
Curly doesn't have one so she's going to use one of her other other other avvies instead. Like the ghost. Or the zombie. Or Sally. Or Jack Skellington.
Or Freddie!

Or a Rocket gang member! ...Oh wait.

Mmm...I think when I get back from my "break", I'll try my hand at making my own avatar. Fostire's is good, but I need something that represents myself, not just one of my characters. And it ought to be something from the heart. (I am soooo going to keep Eddy though. :3 I'm quite happy to have him)

Dragonrider
2009-10-21, 02:17 PM
That's a very good costume, my first reaction was who did Felixaar dressed like? :smallsmile:

I think he's still in the changing room trying his on. :smallamused:

Shadow
2009-10-21, 03:11 PM
Heh, "Shadow's Bar 'n' Grill, Without a Grill" I like it. If I could make just one tiny suggestion? You shouldn't do it in Chicago. *cough*Baltimore*cough* Why? Not enough playgrounder population density. *cough*DC*cough* I'm not sure where else you might consider *cough*Johnson City*cough* but I imagine there must be somewhere. Ahem.

Not really into the whole relocating thing at the moment, but you never know about later. :smallwink:

Monster should *never* be used as a mixer, and therefore should never be sold in a pub.
Roaring Lion or Whiplash are best for this, as they are sold "bag in a box" which lowers cost, yet still taste good (Read: enough like Red Bull that people don't know the difference).

On selling cheap lager:
It's essential, in today's economy. with today's tastes in general, to absolutely sell cheap beer.
The last place I was, I talked my beer rep down on a 1/2 barrel (keg, as you know it). I told them all that I'd run a "7 days a week special" with whatever product they could give me the best price on, and I started a bidding war between the different distributors with that concept.
The winner of this war was City Beverage (Bud distributor up here) with Busch Light at $34/keg.
(actually $44 with a $10 rebate on every one)
(Compare to Miller Lite @ $78/keg)
I sold it at $1.50/pint (and made a KILLING on it even at that price), and it was my BIGGEST seller.

I'd burn 3 or 4 kegs a week, and we were slow because of the owners' crap.
Imagine if we were busy....

And on a general note:
Listen to Zeb. He is correct, and his knowledge of brews is impressive.
Take it from an expert. :smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2009-10-21, 03:32 PM
And Thufir? I curse you sig! Because I know the tune to that song, but I couldn't remember any of the words past 'His eyes' so you had me humming the first few lines of that song all day.
Even in my OE Grammar lecture!

Be afraid Thufir, be very afraid.

:smalleek: I... changed it... 's full of chessmuffins now...

On a related note: I'm getting decent at using Inkscape.

EleventhHour
2009-10-21, 03:36 PM

You don't chess muffin, MUFFIN CHESS YOU!

Now say it again, but slurr chess into "Chaeess"

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-21, 03:39 PM
You don't chess muffin, MUFFIN CHESS YOU!

Now say it again, but slurr chess into "Chaeess"

...I don't know what's going on, but I feel likeI should be drinking vodka. I'm already wearing the CCCP shirt... >.>

DraPrime
2009-10-21, 03:48 PM
So today in class together with some friends I made the most psychotic, eye-sight overloading, seizure-inducing animation possible. After making it and watching it several hours ago, my eyes and head still hurt. That thing can never fall into the wrong hands.

Trobby
2009-10-21, 03:52 PM

On a related note: I'm getting decent at using Inkscape.

Decent? Are you kidding? That is an epic win, good sir. *Shakes your hand* I believe you will find two Internets waiting for you in the Costumes Thread. :smallbiggrin:

In fact, because of this, I'm presenting you with this award for...well for just awesomeness. *And because I had the random inspiration to make it. Just now*

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b244/Introbulus/randomtrophy.png

Thufir
2009-10-21, 04:00 PM
Decent? Are you kidding? That is an epic win, good sir. *Shakes your hand* I believe you will find two Internets waiting for you in the Costumes Thread. :smallbiggrin:

In fact, because of this, I'm presenting you with this award for...well for just awesomeness. *And because I had the random inspiration to make it. Just now*

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b244/Introbulus/randomtrophy.png

"I dunno, Introbulus. I mean, it was good, but I didn't think it deserved a trophy. Hell, I didn't think it deserved a pizza. Maybe a pizza trophy."

Thank you. And the trophy is sigged as well as the two internets.
Now I need to decide what game to play through on the Muffinboard in my sig, and whether I want to try to draw a chessmuffin clock.

Rutskarn
2009-10-21, 04:13 PM
There's an individual in our dorm. To protect his identity, we'll call him Lucas.

Here are some sample conversations. He's not joking in any of them.

Lucas: We should, like, have a fight. All of us, on Halloween. And we'll be wearing masks, so you don't know who you're fighting, and it'll be like POW, POW, POW. Right?

While watching a game show.

Lucas: That guy's a douchebag. That guy's a dirtbag. Dirtbag!

I have a small fake sitting skeleton in my room, over which I've placed a glass dome, on which I've dymo-labeled Voodoo Radiation Hazard. Lucas looks inside my room one day.

Lucas: Like, what's that? Is that real? What is that?

Rutskarn: What, the skeleton? I got in Olvera Street. It was the only thing worth buying on the whole...

Lucas: No, like, Voodoo Radiation. That's real, right?

Rutskarn: Yeah, it is. It's only found in certain swamps near Louisiana--it causes limbs to develop cancerous growths, which hijack the nervous system and cause the limbs to develop involuntary spasms, even homicidal tendencies, which can lead to the creation of zombies, and no, Voodoo Radiation is not real, I made it up.

Lucas: ...wait, so it's not?

Not a conversation, but once he google image searched goat genitalia on a whim. Using someone else's laptop. A starched, conservative person's laptop.

This conversation just happened:

Lucas: Dude, like, what were your (Left 4 Dead) posters doing under the couch in the common room?

Rutskarn: Huh? Oh, yeah, sorry about that. Yeah, I left them there to prey on the dreams of people who nap on that couch.

Lucas: That's messed up, man.

Rutskarn: No, Lucas, I left them there by accident. Sorry.

Lucas: Oh. (pauses for a few seconds, sits back down, then bursts out laughing)

Rutskarn: What are you...

Lucas: Oh, man, I don't know either.

Dogmantra
2009-10-21, 04:17 PM
"I dunno, Introbulus. I mean, it was good, but I didn't it deserved a trophy. Hell, I didn't think it deserved a pizza. Maybe a pizza trophy."

Thufir, I'm happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but Jibar has some of the best Catmuffins of all time.

cycoris
2009-10-21, 04:23 PM
Halloween's only ten days away. I have my ITP costume, but I need to get working on my real one. I need either knee high converse or combat boots that don't cost a fortune. :smallsigh:

Can I just steal the boots off Miss Nobody's avvie? :smallbiggrin:

...I think I also need lunch.

DraPrime
2009-10-21, 04:29 PM
I haven't even gotten an idea for a costume yet. Although me and some friends might be dressing up like a band with this sort of manner of clothing. (http://www.metalexpressradio.com/images/news/images/immortal.jpg) But that's yet to be seen.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-21, 04:37 PM
<3, Doggy.

Halloween's only ten days away. I have my ITP costume, but I need to get working on my real one. I need either knee high converse or combat boots that don't cost a fortune. :smallsigh:

Can I just steal the boots off Miss Nobody's avvie? :smallbiggrin:

...I think I also need lunch.

Same here. Still have to figure out if I should go for the Delta 6 Accelerator Suit, or pre-Joe fatigues. >.<

Boot ideas = awesome. Miss Nobody's boots = swoonworthy. <3

Trobby
2009-10-21, 04:39 PM
My costume this year...is Leiderhosen. <.<; Let me explain.

See, this year I'm going to be in Disney World for Halloween, and we're going to a costume party. My girlfriend wanted to go as a couple duo, so I agreed, and for weeks forgot to figure out what I was going to be.

In the meantime, she picked out her costume, a cute Bavarian girl. And now, I'm pretty much stuck playing her counterpart because it's far too late to get a different costume.

It'll actually be really cute though. So I'm not too embarrassed. ^^; Besides, it's Disney World. It's not like I'm going to be the most ridiculously-dressed guy there.

Not when there are tourists. (http://www.instantrimshot.com/)

Phase
2009-10-21, 05:03 PM
There's an individual in our dorm. To protect his identity, we'll call him Lucas.

Lucas: We should, like, have a fight. All of us, on Halloween. And we'll be wearing masks, so you don't know who you're fighting, and it'll be like POW, POW, POW. Right?

It's Fight Club all over again. You sure Lucas is a real person, Ruts?

EleventhHour
2009-10-21, 05:07 PM
It's Fight Club all over again. You sure Lucas is a real person, Ruts?

Shh. Positive reinforcement.

I'm sure he's a great guy, Rutskarn! Even if he is imaginary.

V'icternus
2009-10-21, 05:07 PM
Tourists are funny. :smallbiggrin:

Nameless
2009-10-21, 05:12 PM
Huh, I recently found out my grandpa who I never knew cheated on my grandma, married two other people and had kids, was dishonourably discharged from the royal marines, was an alcoholic, took part in an armed bank robbery which was on the front page of a newspaper, was in prison and we have a hole other family we never knew about. Whee.

Phase
2009-10-21, 05:41 PM
Huh, I recently found out my grandpa who I never knew cheated on my grandma, married two other people and had kids, was dishonourably discharged from the royal marines, was an alcoholic, took part in an armed bank robbery which was on the front page of a newspaper, was in prison and we have a whole other family we never knew about. Whee.

Right. Who here in this thread isn't related to Tyler Durden? Is it only me? It can be only be.

Nameless
2009-10-21, 05:43 PM
Nah, he was Welsh. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Wuh... what just happened to what I quoted? e_e

DraPrime
2009-10-21, 06:08 PM
Huh, I recently found out my grandpa who I never knew cheated on my grandma, married two other people and had kids, was dishonourably discharged from the royal marines, was an alcoholic, took part in an armed bank robbery which was on the front page of a newspaper, was in prison and we have a hole other family we never knew about. Whee.

Certainly far more impressive than my grandfather. He just threw bricks at German soldiers who invaded his country. He also manned anti-aircraft cannons during the fifties.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-21, 06:16 PM
Certainly far more impressive than my grandfather. He just threw bricks at German soldiers who invaded his country. He also manned anti-aircraft cannons during the fifties.

One of my grandfathers illegally made moonshine. The other joined the Navy at 16, and also shot AA guns... How weird our family is, cousin... :smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2009-10-21, 06:25 PM
One of my grandfathers illegally made moonshine. The other joined the Navy at 16, and also shot AA guns... How weird our family is, cousin... :smallbiggrin:

Indeed. A great great grandfather of mine was an Italian man who regularly fathered children with Austrian women. :smallwink:

Mr. Mud
2009-10-21, 06:27 PM
Indeed. A great great grandfather of mine was an Italian man who regularly fathered children with Austrian women. :smallwink:

Did he, sell wine and live in San Benedetto!?

DraPrime
2009-10-21, 06:29 PM
Did he, sell wine and live in San Benedetto!?

Why yes, I think he did!

Mr. Mud
2009-10-21, 06:30 PM
Why yes, I think he did!

Long lost cousins, itp!?

Zocelot
2009-10-21, 06:32 PM

One of my grandfathers also joined the army at 16, although he was infantry. He has plenty of interesting stories about it, but he doesn't talk about actual fighting. Other than that though, my great grandparents are really really boring people (in terms of [what I know about] their lives, they're still fun to spend time with).

DraPrime
2009-10-21, 06:33 PM
Long lost cousins, itp!?

Huzzah! Let us celebrate by seducing Austrian women like our long-dead great great great grandfather!

Mr. Mud
2009-10-21, 06:36 PM
Huzzah! Let us celebrate by seducing Austrian women like our long-dead great great great grandfather!

And after that, let's drink and do battle?

...wait we're not going to Valhalla, are we? Austrian is a tad far away from the fjords.

DraPrime
2009-10-21, 06:36 PM
And after that, let's drink and do battle?

...wait we're not going to Valhalla, are we? Austrian is a tad far away from the fjords.

Indeed. Besides, who would we fight? We're Italian-Austrian-Polish when you combine us. That's not exactly a united group right there.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-21, 06:38 PM
Indeed. Besides, who would we fight? We're Italian-Austrian-Polish when you combine us. That's not exactly a united group right there.

Not true. All three of those stereotypes combined? We'd NEVER lose a drinking contest :smalltongue:.

DraPrime
2009-10-21, 06:40 PM
Not true. All three of those stereotypes combined? We'd NEVER lose a drinking contest :smalltongue:.

Clearly, we must team up against the Russians and the Irish.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-21, 06:42 PM
Clearly, we must team up against the Russians and the Irish.

... AND THEN DO BATTLE! :smalltongue:

DraPrime
2009-10-21, 06:43 PM
... AND THEN DO BATTLE! :smalltongue:

To battle! *charges of with a warhammer*

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-21, 06:52 PM
Fight! Win! Drink! GET NAKED!

>.>

DraPrime
2009-10-21, 06:54 PM
Fight! Win! Drink! GET NAKED!

>.>

*rips of cloths*

With pleasure!

Mr. Mud
2009-10-21, 06:55 PM
*rips of cloths*

With pleasure!

So, summary thus far:

We're naked, with Warhammers, going to challenge Irish and Russian drinks to a match, then fight to the death?

DraPrime
2009-10-21, 06:57 PM
So, summary thus far:

We're naked, with Warhammers, going to challenge Irish and Russian drinks to a match, then fight to the death?

Quite so. It is a brilliant plan.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-21, 06:59 PM
New avatar for Halloween. Can ya guess who I'm dressed as? :smallwink:

Trog
2009-10-21, 07:01 PM

And clearly you should have a follow up five days later. :smallamused:
(http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/gzacchai/NSR/v-for-vendetta-guy-fawkes-masks-big.jpg)

DraPrime
2009-10-21, 07:02 PM

A certain spirit that resides in a carbonated beverage?

Shadow
2009-10-21, 07:02 PM

....?
Bernadette Stephens?

:smallwink:

Mr. Mud
2009-10-21, 07:07 PM
....?
Bernadette Stephens?

:smallwink:

Close...

Carmen San Diego! :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2009-10-21, 07:11 PM
I keep seeing my avatar out of the corner of my eye and thinking Felixaar posted. :smallsigh:

DraPrime
2009-10-21, 07:11 PM
Close...

Carmen San Diego! :smalltongue:

How come I didn't see it before!?

Mr. Mud
2009-10-21, 07:13 PM
How come I didn't see it before!?

Adrmiral Ackbar says it all:
http://norunnyeggs.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/its-a-trap.jpg

Rutskarn
2009-10-21, 07:14 PM
So, summary thus far:

Couple thousand miles to Europe, got a half pint of drink, a full pint of other drink, it's dark and we're naked.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-21, 07:17 PM
Couple thousand miles to Europe, got a half pint of drink, a full pint of other drink, it's dark and we're naked.

With Chocolate WarHammers? :smallwink:.

Zocelot
2009-10-21, 07:35 PM
I suggest that you challenge the Irish and Russians to a fight to the death before the drinking contest. Dead people are usually not quite as thirsty.

Phase
2009-10-21, 07:39 PM
I suggest that you challenge the Irish and Russians to a fight to the death before the drinking contest. Dead people are usually not quite as thirsty.

You've obviously never been to Valhalla. Damn but is that place full of drunks.

Pyrian
2009-10-21, 07:44 PM
I keep seeing my avatar out of the corner of my eye and thinking Felixaar posted. :smallsigh:You and everybody else too. :smallamused: At least you had forewarning!

Alteran
2009-10-21, 07:47 PM
I keep seeing my avatar out of the corner of my eye and thinking Felixaar posted. :smallsigh:

Until I saw your name, I thought that your avatar was Felixaar dressed up as Dragonrider. :smalltongue:

Dogmantra
2009-10-21, 08:02 PM

I wore my Fred avatar for about a day, and I kept thinking Fred had come back... it made me sad so I changed it to this that one, but I'm not sure if I like it... TIME FOR A CHANGE METHINKS. HAS BEEN MADE

Trobby
2009-10-21, 08:05 PM
Until I saw your name, I thought that your avatar was Felixaar dressed up as Dragonrider. :smalltongue:

Didn't we already do this skit? :smallconfused:

Alteran
2009-10-21, 08:11 PM

*reads previous pages*

...yeah, apparently.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-21, 08:13 PM

Perhaps. Have I mentioned I like your...tricked out MP5K?

*huggles*

My brain hurts. >.<

Trobby
2009-10-21, 08:15 PM
Perhaps. Have I mentioned I like your...tricked out MP5K?

*huggles*

My brain hurts. >.<

Oh, this gun? *flops it around* It's made of painted duct tape. ...o.o What, you think I'd operate a heavy machine gun in my underwear? I may be crazy, but I'm not THAT crazy. :smalltongue:

*Gives you a tonic to help your head*And for those who might not understand, it's my Halloween costume. I'm dressed as Reinholdt from when he was a sexy boxer-wearing gun-toting kitty boy.

Phase
2009-10-21, 08:27 PM
That reminds me, I should probably get working on my Mr Saturn costume.

EleventhHour
2009-10-21, 08:29 PM
That reminds me, I should probably get working on my Mr Saturn costume.

The moon is dressing up as Saturn... the astrologists are going to be so confused...

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-21, 08:30 PM
The moon is dressing up as Saturn... the astrologists are going to be so confused...

Madness! It's an imposter planet! =O

...on an unrelated note, now I can't help but think of Saturn as the "blinged-out" planet. =P

Mr. Mud
2009-10-21, 08:44 PM
GRAMMAR HELP QUESTION TIME:

Do these sentences flow well? Any revisions y'all suggest?

[...]He disappeared into the house, as Mrs. Carroll answered the door. The ashy trail left by wet eye makeup was still fresh on her face. [...]

toasty
2009-10-21, 08:51 PM

Get rid of the comma in the first sentence... I'd think at least. As for the other setence... argh, that is a tad confusing. It might work depending on the sentences around it, I dunno.

Mr. Mud
2009-10-21, 08:54 PM
Get rid of the comma in the first sentence... I'd think at least. As for the other setence... argh, that is a tad confusing. It might work depending on the sentences around it, I dunno.

"Mrs. Carroll's" son just died... and if given the other sentences, it flows fairly well (or at least I think so). But thanks, I didn't catch that comma for some reason... :smallbiggrin:.

Trobby
2009-10-21, 08:56 PM
[...]He disappeared into the house, as Mrs. Carroll answered the door. The ashy trail left by wet eye makeup was still fresh on her face. [...]

Yes, get rid of the comma in the first sentence. The second sentence should work just fine though.

Nano
2009-10-21, 09:14 PM
I'd suggest you replace 'eye makeup' with something more specific, though, i.e. mascara.

KataraAltinaII
2009-10-21, 09:22 PM

just ditch the first comma I think.

I use commas too much myself.

Fostire
2009-10-21, 09:39 PM
ARGHHH, I can't decide on a Halloween avatar :smallannoyed:

See, this year I'm going to be in Disney World for Halloween, and we're going to a costume party. My girlfriend wanted to go as a couple duo, so I agreed, and for weeks forgot to figure out what I was going to be.
I'm a huge Disney Fan and I love everything Disney, so the fact that you're going to Disney World and I'm not means I'm now very, very jealous of you :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

Also I just realized that I've never seen The Little Mermaid, Dumbo, or the Beauty and the Beast.
I need to befriend someone with a large Disney collection, NOW.

Phase
2009-10-21, 10:05 PM
ARGHHH, I can't decide on a Halloween avatar :smallannoyed:

Go as Phase. He's cool.

Fostire
2009-10-21, 10:23 PM
Go as Phase. He's cool.

Actually I was trying to decide between Haruki, Billtodamax, or you :smallbiggrin:

Pyrian
2009-10-21, 10:27 PM
Go as Phase. He's cool.I think I will. :smallcool:

Fostire
2009-10-21, 10:37 PM
I think I will. :smallcool:

An IRL Phase costume would be pretty darn cool.

EDIT: OMG! HAS SHE NO SHAME?! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWZyNsyQRp0&feature=related) how could she do that? :smallfrown:

Here's the amazing original version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkV-of_eN2w&feature=related)

littlequietguy
2009-10-21, 11:06 PM
Who should I go as? I actually am going as two-face in real life so it is kinda meta. I guess Dogmantra who make the most sense.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-21, 11:16 PM
Hmmm, I have no idea what I'm doing for Halloween, either avatar or at home, this year either. Hmmm....

EDIT:
...I don't know what's going on, but I feel likeI should be drinking vodka. I'm already wearing the CCCP shirt... >.>AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! Flashbacks!!

Note: For cool factor (and authenticity's sake) when you describe this shirt in person you should call it your "ess ess ess air" shirt. If questioned, it's because that's what those letters are (S and R).

V'icternus
2009-10-21, 11:21 PM
*Gasp* Halloween came so fast!

I gotta get my costume on...

Guh, I left it in my room! And I can't get in there for a few hours, because I have to do this stupid schoolwork...

When will people learn that I don't care about their stupid history!? It's boring!

Shadow
2009-10-22, 02:08 AM
I'll let all my friends across the pond know that I had an English Movie Night.
-Snatch
-Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
-Shaun of the Dead

Nameless
2009-10-22, 02:39 AM

Yeah well, My Grandfather did all that kinda stuff and won tons of medals to prove it when he was in the Royal Marines! ... Of course, he had to return it all when he was dishonourably Discharged after his dad died and he started drinking and stealing off other marines...
Does this mean my Grandfather was \m/?

Quincunx
2009-10-22, 04:12 AM
My grandfather never spoke about WWII to us, and only told my mother three things:

1. War is bad.
2. English food is worse.
3. The Cliffs of Dover are white because of all the seagull [bleep!] spackled upon them.

My husband brought me a bouquet of roses. We didn't have a wide-mouthed vase here (it's in storage somewhere in Sweden along with half our stuff, still), so now they're in pride of place on my desk, springing out of a jar formerly used for hot chocolate.

toasty
2009-10-22, 05:26 AM
My grandfathers were too young to serve in the war. At least one of my great-grandfathers got away with not fighting by working in the dockyards building all the ships that blew up the Japanese (no offense to the Japanese... but its what he did and its what the ships did). The other 3 grandfathers I don't know about. I assume one of them was on a farm... farming, and somehow got out of the war that way. My mom's side I have no idea. Its strange... I know all the 2nd cousins and great-uncles etc on my Dad's side, but on my mom's side I don't know anyone outside of her 8 siblings and their

When will people learn that I don't care about their stupid history!? It's boring!

Whose history are you referring to? Personal history can be boring, but I love like national history and stuff, its awesome.

Shadow
2009-10-22, 05:38 AM
Both of my grandfathers served.
Army and Air Force, respectively, for dad's side and mom's side.
My father's father gave my dad the service knife he was issued, with the sheathe and whetstone, which my father gave to me when grandpa died a few years ago.
Neither of them ever talked about the war, as very few of the servicemen now talk about the middle east, which makes perfect sense to me.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-22, 06:04 AM
Both of mine did too. Mom's dad was AF, dad's dad was Army. I've never heard even one war story from either of them either. Nor have I heard one from my mom or dad. None of them made a career out of their service, though.

Thufir
2009-10-22, 06:08 AM
2. English food is worse.

Slander and calumny.
*Mutters*... 'snothing wrong with our food... can't recall a single bad meal in my whole life...

Kaelaroth
2009-10-22, 06:23 AM
English food gets a remarkably bad press. Primarily, it's bad chefs that's the issue.

toasty
2009-10-22, 06:24 AM
Slander and calumny.
*Mutters*... 'snothing wrong with our food... can't recall a single bad meal in my whole life...

See the thing is you haven't actually had good food so you wouldn't know how to compare... :smallbiggrin:

Anuan
2009-10-22, 06:28 AM
Slander and calumny.

You've probably repressed the memories :smallwink:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-22, 07:04 AM
Sci-fi/fantasy club is ruining my life!
The meeting itself didnt finish until midnight, and then I ended up spending two hours on a street corner talking about many thing ranging from books to religion to books and education and languages and thing.
Two. In. The. Morning.
I didn't get home 'til half past.
And I have G&S tonight. We're watching their production of Utopia Ltd.

And Curly needs to go shopping again.

*blinks*
Wait.
Tomorrow I have another late finishing society, and Saturday's the Time Ceremony . . .
MY mornings are being stolen!

Dirk Kris
2009-10-22, 08:05 AM
Peoples, I need random affections today. Stress and loss and weather changing and illness recovery have really worn me down. I could use a pick-me-up.

Shadow
2009-10-22, 08:08 AM
*invites Kris into my harem*

Trust me, it'll make you feel better. :smallwink:

Dirk Kris
2009-10-22, 08:10 AM
Um...you know what? Maybe I'm not that needy after all.

...then again, I AM a glutton for punishment.
*dives into harem*
Here I am, ladies!

*looks around*
Wh-where are the ladies, Shadow?

Shadow
2009-10-22, 08:15 AM
we both know the answer to that one, don't we....

smellie_hippie
2009-10-22, 08:41 AM
*hands Dirk Kris some Purell and loads of Penicillin* :smallfrown:

You'll feel better, trust me.

*scolds Shadow* :smallyuk:

*hugs Dirk Kris* :smallbiggrin:

Shadow
2009-10-22, 08:52 AM
The 'cillin won't work, hasn't for years. My strain has become immune.

Dragonrider
2009-10-22, 09:28 AM
One of my grandfathers was six years old when WWII was declared and the other one was born during it. :smalltongue: Obviously that doesn't leave much potential for fighting.

My great-grandfather, though, fought in France in the first World War. I don't know much about that (he died before I was born) except that we still have two French bayonets he brought back; they're crossed above our mantlepiece. They have their dates of make on the blades (1876 and 1898, I believe) and they're the T-shape that was later "outlawed" because the cuts they made were too hard to heal. The Red Cross would deny aid to any country that used them on their enemies. :smalltongue: Ah, war, how strange you make people....

Jack Squat
2009-10-22, 10:00 AM
'Least you don't have to worry about if those bayonets were ever used on anyone :smalltongue:

One of my grandfathers joined the Navy at the tail end of WWII. Was stationed on the USS Roger's Blood out of Guantanamo. Needless to say, the most action he saw was when fishing.

My other grandfather was in the Air Force for Korea and Vietnam. He was a firing line instructor. Don't know much else about what he did.

Quincunx
2009-10-22, 10:28 AM
My grandfather was raised on home-cooked southern Italian food. He and his brothers (all the American-born ones enlisted) must have been shocked and horrified to discover what the army and/or English call food. Also, toasty is right. :smallbiggrin:

About a year ago, this topic came up elsewhere, with a pack of British folk and some American stragglers comparing their grandfathers' service, until a friend of mine quietly interjected that at least their families had come through the war intact. I asked him, "Who died?"

"All of them," he replied.

Oof. Right. He wasn't a native English speaker, but German. Still. . .

"_All_ of them? You had more than two grandfathers--"

"And great-grandfathers."

. . .All of them. My friend, the unassuming computer expert, had lived longer than most of the males of his family, and was now living in unknown territory.

When you sit down at a forum and spill your thoughts, are you a pioneer of unknown territories?

Haruki-kun
2009-10-22, 10:28 AM
Actually I was trying to decide between Haruki, Billtodamax, or you :smallbiggrin:

I'm so happy I'm being considered. :smallbiggrin:

Gullara
2009-10-22, 11:23 AM
Hmmm, I have no idea what I'm doing for Halloween, either avatar or at home, this year either. Hmmm....

EDIT:AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! Flashbacks!!

Note: For cool factor (and authenticity's sake) when you describe this shirt in person you should call it your "ess ess ess air" shirt. If questioned, it's because that's what those letters are (S and R).

You could go as Mr. Saturn you just need to add rings and a pipe to your bowling ball and maybe his coat on the pin

Coidzor
2009-10-22, 11:38 AM
<_< What is the general form of a thank you letter?

Apparently my calling was not enough to reassure my family that I survived.