PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Training? My Party Got an Attitude

Jogi
2009-10-16, 06:45 PM
Hey guys. So, this is the problem: my players don't know how to roleplay. Maybe one of them knows, but then again, he won't roleplay alone. We were having big problems during gameplay such as characters becoming their players, players never giving a damn about alignment, characters have no goals other than gain huge amounts of gold and XP, they don't care for trivial things that happen beetwen encounters. The solution came from an idea a friend of mine gave me: run a "training" game. So, this is how it'd work out:

- The DM creates the characters, which will include nice backgrounds describing personallity and story.
- Each player is given a character chosen by the DM (or maybe you can let them choose).
- The game will be run normally, but with addo that roleplaying with play a major part in the adventure.

Maybe it'll work. It's more like asking them to roleplay than any other thing, and of course, I'll set an example. I've only got one question, and that is: which starting level would be a good level for a one-afternoon game?

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-10-16, 07:17 PM
Hmm. Sounds like a potential problem in the making, honestly. My advice: don't use a d20 system for this "training" game. Instead, use a system such as Wushu Open or just plain freeform RP, if you want to teach them to RP. Then, have them apply that RPing back into D&D.

You can't railroad them into RP. If you try, they'll just do enough to keep you happy, then drop it when they're back in the "real" game.

Jogi
2009-10-16, 07:27 PM
Hmm. Sounds like a potential problem in the making, honestly. My advice: don't use a d20 system for this "training" game. Instead, use a system such as Wushu Open or just plain freeform RP, if you want to teach them to RP. Then, have them apply that RPing back into D&D.

You can't railroad them into RP. If you try, they'll just do enough to keep you happy, then drop it when they're back in the "real" game.

Hmm, true, railroading is not the goal. But I don't think they'd bother learning a new system. I wouldn't be that strict about their roleplaying, but I'd give some advices. Just want them to do more than roll attacks.

PumpkinEater
2009-10-16, 07:28 PM
Hey guys. So, this is the problem: my players don't know how to roleplay. Maybe one of them knows, but then again, he won't roleplay alone. We were having big problems during gameplay such as characters becoming their players, players never giving a damn about alignment, characters have no goals other than gain huge amounts of gold and XP, they don't care for trivial things that happen beetwen encounters. The solution came from an idea a friend of mine gave me: run a "training" game. So, this is how it'd work out:

- The DM creates the characters, which will include nice backgrounds describing personallity and story.
- Each player is given a character chosen by the DM (or maybe you can let them choose).
- The game will be run normally, but with addo that roleplaying with play a major part in the adventure.

Maybe it'll work. It's more like asking them to roleplay than any other thing, and of course, I'll set an example. I've only got one question, and that is: which starting level would be a good level for a one-afternoon game?

Like the above guy said, railroading usually is pretty bad. Try rewarding people with experience for roleplaying, and cut down on the amount of experience gained from defeating enemies. Not too much, though. Some people just don't like roleplaying, however, and there's just no reason to force them to, though.

By the way, this isn't the right board for this thread. You want the roleplaying games (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30) board. This is the homebrew board, where people make things from scratch, and post it for other people to see.

Jogi
2009-10-16, 07:37 PM
Like the above guy said, railroading usually is pretty bad. Try rewarding people with experience for roleplaying, and cut down on the amount of experience gained from defeating enemies. Not too much, though. Some people just don't like roleplaying, however, and there's just no reason to force them to, though.

By the way, this isn't the right board for this thread. You want the roleplaying games (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30) board. This is the homebrew board, where people make things from scratch, and post it for other people to see.

:D which Is why I asked about a good level to start, as I intend to post the adventure I might come up with.

Yes, railroading is bad, but It's not like Im gonna be all like "your character wouldn't do that" during the game. It's more like guide lines. Also, I dunno...roleplaying game assumes some level of roleplaying, otherwise I don't see the difference beetwen it and a video game.

It's something Im gonna suggest to some of my players since two of them agree that things aren't okay. :D so...any ideas on levels?

Weimann
2009-10-16, 07:38 PM
I'd say, just try some freeform RP. Let's do away with the stats all together, just for this once.

What is important is that you inform them about the purpose of this exercise before you perform it; it will give your players a hint about that you really are serious about the roleplaying bit, and it will also give them a chance to take the concepts to heart with a more aware mindset. It can still be in D&D, but they might be commoners.

Ideas for plot hooks:
# A girl is fancying you, but she is also fancying someone else. Try to win her over! (This someone else can be a PC or an NPC, but PC would make for more competition while NPC might encourage cooperation.)
# You have been caught stealing food/silver/weapons/whaeva. Make an appealing case to the court!
# Your friend has just been dumped/fired/experienced a death in the family. Listen to him and comfort him!

Something like that. Things that can't be solved by "I roll this-and-that".

Of course, they might soin off on completely different tangents. They might decide to kill the other suitor (or the girl!) but as long as they do it in character, it's all okay.

If they just don't go for it, just make clear that you don't enjoy the game as it is, and that some RP will ahve to be introduced, or you just don't think it's fun. The game is for all of the group to enjoy, the DM included.

Edit: But if you go by D&D sheets in the end, say level 1. Because, it's not supposed to be about stats anyway.

Jogi
2009-10-16, 07:42 PM
I'd say, just try some freeform RP. Let's do away with the stats all together, just for this once.

What is important is that you inform them about the purpose of this exercise before you perform it; it will give your players a hint about that you really are serious about the roleplaying bit, and it will also give them a chance to take the concepts to heart with a more aware mindset. It can still be in D&D, but they might be commoners.

Ideas for plot hooks:
# A girl is fancying you, but she is also fancying someone else. Try to win her over! (This someone else can be a PC or an NPC, but PC would make for more competition while NPC might encourage cooperation.)
# You have been caught stealing food/silver/weapons/whaeva. Make an appealing case to the court!
# Your friend has just been dumped/fired/experienced a death in the family. Listen to him and comfort him!

Something like that. Things that can't be solved by "I roll this-and-that".

Of course, they might soin off on completely different tangents. They might decide to kill the other suitor (or the girl!) but as long as they do it in character, it's all okay.

If they just don't go for it, just make clear that you don't enjoy the game as it is, and that some RP will ahve to be introduced, or you just don't think it's fun. The game is for all of the group to enjoy, the DM included.

Well observed. I'll let them know of my intentions beforehand. About the hooks, yes they might do very well, althought I think some combat would be good for the mood of the game (and since you can roleplay in combat too). The only reason Im sticking with D&D is that they'll probably refuse to spend time learning a new game.

Godskook
2009-10-16, 08:16 PM
Hmm, true, railroading is not the goal. But I don't think they'd bother learning a new system. I wouldn't be that strict about their roleplaying, but I'd give some advices. Just want them to do more than roll attacks.

Instead of forcing roleplaying on them, start rewarding it in minor ways. Plan out rewards that aren't plot required but would be really appreciated by the players if they found it. If the drow take a bunch of villagers prisoner, one of them was hiding a healing belt. If one of your players is a dual wielder, set up the scene from One Piece where Zoro buys his swords. Then, when your players start walking right past them, give it till the end of the session, and then say:

"Guys, I've started putting some new rewards into the game, and I want to give you a chance to get some of them. The rewards are roleplaying only, which means anyone can get them. For instance, remember the prisoners? If you had spent time earning their trust, they would've given up a healing belt they had been using to keep their group alive during the captivity. And then there was the shopkeeper. His father was a great swordsman, but he's not a strong man, and he had no children. He was just waiting for a swordsman he felt would be worthy of it so that his father's legacy would be continued. Now, these are just some pre-planned examples I had, but there will be more opportunities, and at certain times, I'll reward creative roleplaying even if I had nothing planned as the reward. See you guys next week."

I strongly recommend against making DM-prepared sheets. I personally just wouldn't play such a game.

Jogi
2009-10-16, 08:26 PM
Instead of forcing roleplaying on them, start rewarding it in minor ways. Plan out rewards that aren't plot required but would be really appreciated by the players if they found it. If the drow take a bunch of villagers prisoner, one of them was hiding a healing belt. If one of your players is a dual wielder, set up the scene from One Piece where Zoro buys his swords. Then, when your players start walking right past them, give it till the end of the session, and then say:

"Guys, I've started putting some new rewards into the game, and I want to give you a chance to get some of them. The rewards are roleplaying only, which means anyone can get them. For instance, remember the prisoners? If you had spent time earning their trust, they would've given up a healing belt they had been using to keep their group alive during the captivity. And then there was the shopkeeper. His father was a great swordsman, but he's not a strong man, and he had no children. He was just waiting for a swordsman he felt would be worthy of it so that his father's legacy would be continued. Now, these are just some pre-planned examples I had, but there will be more opportunities, and at certain times, I'll reward creative roleplaying even if I had nothing planned as the reward. See you guys next week."

I strongly recommend against making DM-prepared sheets. I personally just wouldn't play such a game.

I understand. But then again, you're probably an experienced player, you know what roleplaying is. As their characters have always been the same, pre-made sheets won't make a difference. They too much into game mechanics. But yes, your point is valid: I'll put some rewards on the game.

Set
2009-10-16, 08:38 PM
Because I misread the title, my thought was that you were going to roleplay characters leveling up in a sort of 'training montage.'

I used something similar in my last Freeport game, assigning each of the players someone to serve as their mentor for training up, learning new spells, feat training, etc.

The Fighter ended up with Bill Sangalapulatele* as his mentor, a polynesian shark-toothed ex-cannibal-turned-bodyguard with Fighter and Monk levels. The Fighter wanted to learn the Dodge feat. Bill started throwing coconuts at him, saying, 'If you can dodge a coconut, you can dodge a sword!' Once the player quit laughing, the game continued.

The Druid started with the Blooms, a pair of anarchist hippy-types who grow and distribute herbal drugs from their herbary. They were pretty unhelpful, and got him in trouble with the law, and he ended up working with a dwarven botanist across town who also had Druid levels named Dordenden.

For a city-based game, it worked great, forcing interaction with the city locals, and getting the PCs tied up in local affairs. (The Druid ended up going on a mission to rescue a kidnapped visiting dwarven Prince named Thorgrim, who was being held by a corrupt city official, and so couldn't be 'officially' rescued. The Fighter PC encountered other member of 'Bill's' former tribe, working a child-slavery ring, and still quite fond of filing down their teeth to savor the 'long pig.')

Each NPC mentor also came with advantages. When the Druid started wondering how he could improve his armor class, Dundoren showed him an alchemical technique to adapt the work that went into making Darkwood Shields, and instead fashion them into Darkwood Breastplates. The Wizard's mentor, a prematurely-dotty (and very hot, for her age) alchemist / transmuter named Delinda, also ended up dragging her occasional student into some intrigue.

If your game isn't city-based, this sort of thing is going to be harder, obviously, but there should still be missions and quests that will only get awarded to those who curry favor and impress the quest-givers.

If the party never chats up the local priest, they won't be the people he calls upon when a ghoul breaks into the reliquary and sneaks off with the corpse of a knight for snackage, incidentally taking an important relic that blesses the area and wards off disease in the process. They'll instead be treated to seeing some other adventurers, who do have social skills and have learned how to talk to girls and stuff, get these sorts of missions, and being paraded around the town square as local heroes, while they are left reading the posts in the town square to see if there are any caravans that need guards for 5 sp a day...

If the party Rogue doesn't make nice with the local guild, he won't be 'cut in on the action,' and he might be peeved to hear through the grapevine about the 'bandit raid' on the local taxman that happened far outside of town (so that the town can't possibly be blamed for it) and to see how the local rogues are spending gold like copper on hard drink and soft women, flush with their success.

Have the PCs roleplaying lead to the quality of their missions and the rewards of those missions. If they don't want to roleplay, then let them do the meat-grinder they want to play, there's no reason to punish them, but toss out occasional references to local heroes *who aren't them* who are getting exciting missions, free gifts from the grateful people, and townsfolk throwing their unmarried daughters at them.

*For those familiar with these Denizens of Freeport characters, I changed most of them. Some a little, some a lot. I even changed Bill Sangalapulatele's name, because I found it easier to pronounce with the extra syllable, and he certainly wasn't a tooth-filing ex-cannibal before I got my hands on him!

Belkarsbadside1
2009-10-16, 09:38 PM
Do you know whats so wierd? I have a friend who is starting up a game similar/ exactly the same to what your doing. What he is doing as well is have us, the players, make the characters and their backstories and then he will distribute the characters to other players randomly. Anyways, my advice to you is to actually make sure there are repercussions to their actions if they do something stupid/ out of character. For example
-lose class abilities
-go to jail (in game)
-give less XP to the people who don't try to roleplay.