PDA

View Full Version : Broken Sorcerer Class [3.5] (for Dante & Virgil)

Not-a-Zombie
2009-10-17, 05:11 PM
Note: This class is not for playing, it is an example of unbalance created by a PC of mine...

All class features are in addition to standard sorcerer class.

Sorcerer
HD: d6
BAB: 3/4

This variation of the sorcerer knows the same number of spells and can cast the same number of spells per day as a standard sorcerer.

The Sorcerer adds her strength mod to the number of dice and save DC of every spell she casts. (a 6th level Sorcerer with 16 Strength casts a fireball that deals 9d6 points of damage) These extra dice ignore maximum dice to a spell (10th level sorcerer with 16 strength has 13d6 fireball)

All of the Sorcerer's spells are automatically silenced and stilled at no cost. This translates to the Sorcerer wearing whatever armor she wants, without care for her spells.

The sorcerer casts spells as a standard action, and can quicken spells, no problem.

As a standard action, the sorcerer can attempt to cast a spell she normally cannot. She selects her target, as normal, and rolls 1d100. He percent of succeeding is equal to 100% minus 10% per spell level the spell is above the highest level spell she can cast (a 6th level Sorcerer attempting to cast a 4th level spell must roll above a 10, where a 1st level sorcerer attempting to cast the same 4th level spell must roll above a 30) If she fails, then a different spell is cast. Roll 1d10 to determine the spell level of the new spell (10 = cantrips), then roll 1d6 to determine the school of magic. The DM now selects a spell in that list.

Actually, this class was a little more broken, before I told my PC that I'd have to be balanced MUCH better before I would allow it to be played...
This is what I got.

*Sorry about the wording, copied it directly from the paper my PC gave me.

DaedalusMkV
2009-10-17, 05:20 PM
As a standard action, the sorcerer can attempt to cast a spell she normally cannot. She selects her target, as normal, and rolls 1d100. He percent of succeeding is equal to 100% minus 10% per spell level the spell is above the highest level spell she can cast (a 6th level Sorcerer attempting to cast a 4th level spell must roll above a 10, where a 1st level sorcerer attempting to cast the same 4th level spell must roll above a 30) If she fails, then a different spell is cast. Roll 1d10 to determine the spell level of the new spell (10 = cantrips), then roll 1d6 to determine the school of magic. The DM now selects a spell in that list.
ROFL
Seriously? She wanted an ability that effectively allows her to not only have a chance of casting spells that shouldn't be available for 5-6 more levels quite reliably, but entirely invalidates the Sorceror's Spells Known, because you can cast any spell in the game from a spell level you can normally use with no chance of failure. Oh, and even if you fail you still are almost certainly going to cast a spell from a level you couldn't already cast. Nice. This is actually more broken than Lightning Warrior- it keeps its Familiar!

Pigkappa
2009-10-17, 05:23 PM
Yes, well, what's wrong with that? The first time he tries to cast a level 9 spell, you roll secretly. Then you say that he failed, and roll secretly to determine the occurring spell, and state that he is casting Wail of the Banshee. Every other party member will die, and then they'll just kill him in real life. Fair and simple. :smallsmile:

ericgrau
2009-10-17, 05:31 PM
And...

Does the str mod to save DC stack with cha mod to save DC, or overlap? If it stacks then soon his "save-or-dies" will be "just die". The extra dice can get crazy on ability score damage/drain, magic missile / acid arrows, etc.

Silence and still also makes casting while grappling easier. He might not even bother spending a round escaping. He also can't be stopped with silence and his AC means he can't be stopped with readied actions to disrupt casting. He has almost none of the weaknesses of a standard caster, and just plain can't be stopped. If he's smart he'll take skill focus (concentration) or combat casting to be more certain.

Spontaneous quicken is far more powerful for a sorcerer than a wizard, since he doesn't have to choose which spell to quicken ahead of time AND he has more spell slots. Heck, if the going gets tough he can cast 2 spells every turn.

So, recap: His spells always succeed for insane effect (for any offensive spell except fire/cold/electricity direct damage), his spells can't be stopped, he almost gets 2 per round, and he can cast just about any spell. This is a little beyond broken.

Lappy9000
2009-10-17, 05:36 PM
Actually, this class was a little more broken, before I told my PC that I'd have to be balanced MUCH better before I would allow it to be played...Did you want the Playground to help balance it out to reasonable levels?

Dante & Vergil
2009-10-18, 09:42 PM
I can't believe that you put it up for me. I'm so happy!!:smallbiggrin:

Actually, this class was a little more broken, before I told my PC that I'd have to be balanced MUCH better before I would allow it to be played...This is what I got.

Did you want the Playground to help balance it out to reasonable levels?

I think that this is a great idea.
First, the ability to cast spells of a higher level is something that could work, but the percentages would need to be changed because it's a bit too crazy where it stands.