PDA

View Full Version : Girl Thread V

Pages : [1] 2

Ichneumon
2009-10-18, 05:27 PM
Last page of last thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124971&page=50

Let the feminine madness continue, within forum rule of course.

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-18, 05:33 PM
Feminine madness?

THIS! IS! ATHENS!

...I feel terrible, but it had to be done.

Anuan
2009-10-18, 06:10 PM
I saw the picture of Ich! :smallbiggrin:
...Why am I reminded of a 50's housewife? Is it just the greyscale, or...?

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-18, 06:22 PM

Possibly. Now that you've mentioned it, I can't help but think of old black-and-white sitcoms. =P

Man, I hate sitcoms. But I don't think Ichy's sitcom-like at all, so there. =P

Trobby
2009-10-18, 08:01 PM
Like I said before, it's a very cute dress. Slightly form-fitting, but not too tight. :smallwink: It's very lovely.

I think we need a new feminine topic here...I'm fresh out though. o.o

Nano
2009-10-18, 08:03 PM
If you guys ever go shopping online for clothes, where do you do that at, usually?

zeratul
2009-10-18, 08:13 PM
If you guys ever go shopping online for clothes, where do you do that at, usually?

Are you asking the girls or the guys? *is confused due to use of the noun "guys"* :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2009-10-18, 08:13 PM
<_< Does anyone know how to make sense of womens' clothing sizes, at least in the US, and what they're supposedly supposed to match up with in terms of actual measurements?

Nano
2009-10-18, 08:17 PM
Are you asking the girls or the guys? *is confused due to use of the noun "guys"* :smalltongue:

Girls, considering, y'know... Girl Thread. :smalltongue:

Syka
2009-10-18, 08:21 PM
<_< Does anyone know how to make sense of womens' clothing sizes, at least in the US, and what they're supposedly supposed to match up with in terms of actual measurements?

It varies not only by the maker but also the style. I have two Fox brand shirts. One is a small, and fits wonderfully. The other I needed a large in to fit comfortably (as is, I have a Medium, and it's a little tight on the bust area). Same brand, different styles, different cuts/sizes. Same for Old Navy jeans. Even within the same style, the different washes all fit different. I have the same style in two different sizes, lol.

So I'm going to go with unless you are getting some high end clothing, measurement and fits will vary. Even high end, I'm sure it varies.

I've noticed it's the same for guys, when I've gone shopping with Oz. At Gap, he wears 32/32 jeans. At Aero, he wears 32/30.

There is SUPPOSED to be some sort of sense, but I think that got lost somewhere along the way. Best bet is to try it on first, which is why I don't clothes shop online.

Coidzor
2009-10-18, 09:00 PM
Well, yes, but sizing theoretically gives you a place to start trying things on and moving up or down as necessary.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-18, 09:02 PM
What Skya said on size. Which is why us girls have to take so long shopping.

I WISH I could just pull things off the rack, but as Skya said above, the size can be radically different between articles of clothing from the same manufacturer.

I have done a small amount of clothes shopping online. I like Victoria's Secret, because they have clothes that they do not sell in stores.

I also like Amazon for shoes. You can search for size 7.5 Wide brown casual flats that are 70% off.

Returning things can be a pain, but some places allow for free returns.

Ichneumon
2009-10-18, 11:26 PM

I guess it is the greyscale. Everythings looks like the 50's in greyscale.:smallamused:

Syka
2009-10-19, 09:21 AM
Well, yes, but sizing theoretically gives you a place to start trying things on and moving up or down as necessary.

Not really. It's really that bad. Even Oz can pull something off the rack and have an idea of if it'll fit. Me? Not so much. I'm a Small in one Fox shirt, and Large in another, Medium in Roxy. I'm an Extra large in one shirt I have from Bealls, and a Large in a dress from Ross', but Medium in another dress from Ross and a dress from Dilliards.

I generally guess at Medium and use that for a jumping off point, but it's just a guess and such guessing is usually done first by holding the item up to me first.

As I said, the reason I don't shop online. Shoes tend to be easier to judge, since it's a lot more standardized.

Nameless
2009-10-19, 09:34 AM
All women must wear tiny MINISKIRTS!

Castaras
2009-10-19, 10:04 AM
All women must wear tiny MINISKIRTS!

*thwacks with rolled up newspaper*

Internet clothes shopping I only do for silly t-shirts. That normally comes from cafepress, or some other geeky t-shirt store.

Ikialev
2009-10-19, 10:06 AM
Not all. I'd provide the example pic why, but everything that my Google returns for 'fat woman' are anorexic people.

Also, at last a girl thread created by a girl. ^

Dragonrider
2009-10-19, 10:08 AM

They all have been :smallconfused:

Tiger Duck
2009-10-19, 10:09 AM
And SMEE doesn't count?:smallmad:

It is you that deserves to get smacked.

edit: The last one is the only one I checked.

Dragonrider
2009-10-19, 10:11 AM
I'm da Rogue! did the first one. I think we had a Serpentine one, too? that's still one unaccounted for but I'm positive they've all (Smee included!) been girls.

SMEE
2009-10-19, 10:12 AM
Eh? :smallconfused:

Thus far all girl threads where created by girls. :smallannoyed:

Castaras
2009-10-19, 10:18 AM
I'm da Rogue! did the first one. I think we had a Serpentine one, too? that's still one unaccounted for but I'm positive they've all (Smee included!) been girls.

I'm Da Rogue, Serpentine, Thes Hunter, Smee, Ich.

All girls.

Ichneumon
2009-10-19, 10:18 AM
Not all. I'd provide the example pic why, but everything that my Google returns for 'fat woman' are anorexic people.

I wish you didn't say that, because I had to check with a picture search and what I saw wasn't nice to see.

I think/hope you have made a mistake, if not, I think you are wrong.

Ikialev
2009-10-19, 10:38 AM
{Scrubbed}

Dragonrider
2009-10-19, 10:40 AM
{Scrubbed}

I'm Da Rogue, Serpentine, Thes Hunter, Smee, Ich.

All girls.

:smallconfused:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-19, 10:51 AM
I've shopped online once or twice for clothing, but only for silly shirts and the like.
Most of my clothes actually come off mum's catalogue because it has a variety of brands, styles and clothing and caters for petites and so on.

And my chair was not designe for a female. It's back is too low and the arms are too encompassing and makes me think I'm trapped and one cannot sit properly in it is one has wips and other womanly curves.
And you can't sit cross - legged for comfort because of the accursed arms.

SMEE
2009-10-19, 11:02 AM
I tend to shop clothes online from time to time.

I don't have too many problems fitting, as my size is small, and I don't have a very pronounced pair of twins. :smalltongue:
Although, some shirts and pants ended up being too short, because Brazilian industry only thinks of girls in the 1.50 to 1.70 meters tall range. :smallsigh:

Other than that, which happens very seldom, shopping online for clothes have worked out nicely for me.

Trobby
2009-10-19, 11:11 AM
Shopping for clothes online can always be a hassle. :smallyuk: Even for boys. You never know if it's going to properly fit your body or feel comfortable.

For plus-size girls though, I've had a good recommendation for Torrid (http://www.torrid.com/torrid/index.jsp).

Sipex
2009-10-19, 11:12 AM
Ugh, tell me about it. I'm not a girl but ever since my wife and I started dating I learned the truths behind the horrors of shopping for clothes with women.

I've never been so thankful to be a man in my life, all our clothing sizes make sense.

Except underwear, damn underwear manufacturers.

Nameless
2009-10-19, 11:17 AM

Internet clothes shopping I only do for silly t-shirts. That normally comes from cafepress, or some other geeky t-shirt store.

Owch! I was just quoting anime... :smallfrown:

As for shopping, I actually enjoy it. What?! A man who like shopping?! BLASPHEMY! But yeah, I do enjoy it. All Saints, Zara and French Connection are high street stores I like, but I also shop around in the Alternative shops in Camden. Cyber Dog are a good Cyberpunk/goth shop, they make great womens clothing. Sai Sai also have awesome Lollita clothing for fantastic prices, so if you like dresses, go there. GO THERE NOW! :smallbiggrin:
Oh, and there's a awesome Metal shop right next to there.

SMEE
2009-10-19, 11:22 AM
Adding to my last post, let it be said that I am happy that I live on the south of Brazil, where the average girl height is about 1.7 meters tall.
Due to that, they make larger pants to fit all that extra length. :smallredface:

If I were to live in the upper states, things would get more complex... Pants would be too wide in the hips and too short. :smallannoyed:

Ichneumon
2009-10-19, 11:30 AM
Although I can't say finding clothes for me is easy (it is difficult too sometimes:smallannoyed:), I guess it is much more easy than what some people have to go through.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-19, 11:30 AM
As for shopping, I actually enjoy it. What?! A man who like shopping?! BLASPHEMY!
Nah, Nameless is a girl. >.>

Trobby
2009-10-19, 12:21 PM
Nah, Nameless is a girl. >.>

...Well whatever his life choice may be, I'm proud to be father to a handsome boy/beautiful daughter. :smallredface:

I haven't got much more to say about clothes...I admit I'm not terribly knowledgeable on the matter.

Ichneumon
2009-10-19, 12:23 PM
...Well whatever his life choice may be, I'm proud to be father to a handsome boy/beautiful daughter. :smallredface:

Wait... you're Nameless's father?:smalleek:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-19, 12:25 PM
Wait... you're Nameless's father?:smalleek:

*directs to RB* :smallwink:

Weird things happen in the playground. *huggles sleepily*

You know what I hate? Coming in a thread, getting distracted by reading posts, and forgetting the question I had coming into the thread. I'll be back later, ladies. With a question. I swear! >.<

Ichneumon
2009-10-19, 12:28 PM
I'll be back later, ladies

When you do, I expect a photo of at least your torso too. :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-19, 12:33 PM
When you do, I expect a photo of at least your torso too. :smalltongue:

*points your lazy but aesthetically-appealing butt to the You thread, which has a veritable plethora of Cobra-pics. Or, at least, it used to*

Nameless
2009-10-19, 12:35 PM

When did this even happen? :smalltongue:

*shrugs* *cuddles*

Thes Hunter
2009-10-19, 12:36 PM
While checking the claim that googleing 'fat women' came up with all anorexic women, I ran across this: http://observationsofanerd.blogspot.com/2008/11/why-women-are-overweight-and-have-more.html

It is talking about a study that found over-weight women are more likely to have had sex, than average or below average.
The link acknowledges the existence of coitus, but it doesn't go into details.

I find the point that over-weight women may have lower impulse control to be interesting. I know I myself suffer from that, as evidenced by me sitting here typing this response and not hurrying back off to school to learn about the kidneys, and small intestines.

Ichneumon
2009-10-19, 12:39 PM
While checking the claim that googleing 'fat women' came up with all anorexic women, I ran across this: http://observationsofanerd.blogspot.com/2008/11/why-women-are-overweight-and-have-more.html

It is talking about a study that found over-weight women are more likely to have had sex, than average or below average.

I find the point that over-weight women may have lower impulse control to be interesting. I know I myself suffer from that, as evidenced by me sitting here typing this response and not hurrying back off to school to learn about the kidneys, and small intestines.

It would explain why they are overweight in the first place, in some cases, because they can't control their eating impulses.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-19, 12:40 PM

This reminds me of something an overweight female friend of mine once told me. She said that overweight women were better at sex than average or underweight women. In her words, it was something like "Because if a guy has a bad experience with a skinny chick, he won't care. But if he has a bad experience with a fat chick, he'll swear off fat chicks forever. Every fat girl has sex for every other fat girl."

Weird theory, but I have to say, I bet there are people out there who would do that. >.>

Ichneumon
2009-10-19, 12:42 PM
*points your lazy but aesthetically-appealing butt to the You thread, which has a veritable plethora of Cobra-pics. Or, at least, it used to*

I'm not sure if I should find that compliment creepy or sweet. I think I'll go for sweet. :smallredface:

Sipex
2009-10-19, 12:45 PM
This reminds me of something an overweight female friend of mine once told me. She said that overweight women were better at sex than average or underweight women. In her words, it was something like "Because if a guy has a bad experience with a skinny chick, he won't care. But if he has a bad experience with a fat chick, he'll swear off fat chicks forever. Every fat girl has sex for every other fat girl."

Weird theory, but I have to say, I bet there are people out there who would do that. >.>

That's crazy because my friend's boss (who is a guy) said that out of all his lovers the overweight ones were the best at sex. He explained it as because the skinny girls he had all thought they were 'all that' so they didn't have to try (see: they just layed there).

Interesting if true.

Pyrian
2009-10-19, 12:59 PM
Sadly, I don't think I can really weigh in on this subject and still remain within board rules. :smallconfused: Suffice it to say that I have had the opposite experience from what's been posted, but my breadth of experience is really only a handful of individuals so I'm reluctant to extrapolate.

Ichneumon
2009-10-19, 01:05 PM
Sadly, I don't think I can really weigh in on this subject and still remain within board rules.

Good point, let's not go further on this subject as it really is against forum rules, I think, basically we would be talking about who is better in having sex. So, no.

Trog
2009-10-19, 01:14 PM
Well out of average, below average, and above average weight women we all know which group "makes the rockin' world go 'round," afterall. :smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-19, 01:16 PM
Well out of average, below average, and above average weight women we all know which group "makes the rockin' world go 'round," afterall. :smalltongue:

Yes, but it only talks about the bottom part, not mentioning anything about the size of anything above it.

Trog
2009-10-19, 01:19 PM
Yes, but it only talks about the bottom part, not mentioning anything about the size of anything above it.
Actually if you listen to all the lyrics I think you'll find you're wrong on that. :smallwink:

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-19, 01:21 PM
I did. I still don't see where it mentions anything other than a big ass. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Just to be sure, we're talking about "Fat Bottomed Girls", right? Not "Baby Got Back"?

Trog
2009-10-19, 01:29 PM
I did. I still don't see where it mentions anything other than a big ass. :smalltongue:
:smallconfused: Uh...you must have missed this then:

"Left alone with big fat fanny
She was such a naughty nanny
Heap big woman you made a bad boy out of me"

Also, to quote wikipedia: "The lyrics express the narrator's preference for voluptuous women."

The Rose Dragon
2009-10-19, 01:32 PM
I thought that part also only referred to the bottom. Could go either way, really.

Good song, though.

Quincunx
2009-10-19, 01:39 PM
(looks at thread title)
(looks at declaration that threads not all begun by girls)
(looks at discussion about the relation between girls' body shape and goodness in bed)

Bugger this for a lark. I'm out.

Trobby
2009-10-19, 02:37 PM
;-; Nooo! Don't leave! I promise we'll be good.

When did this even happen? :smalltongue:

*shrugs* *cuddles*

I'm not sure, but I'll be damned if I'm not a good father for you. *huggles*

Nameless
2009-10-19, 02:39 PM
;-; Nooo! Don't leave! I promise we'll be good.

I'm not sure, but I'll be damned if I'm not a good father for you. *huggles*

Hurray! ^_^ *Drags in a pile of books*

Thes Hunter
2009-10-19, 04:00 PM
No you won't be good. It's just not possible. :smallwink:

So this thread will be devoid of Quincux's witty, cutting and insightful comments.

Trobby
2009-10-19, 04:19 PM

So this thread will be devoid of Quincux's witty, cutting and insightful comments.

D: Yes I can. I totally can. *starts reading to his son* I'll go apologize to Quix right now! *Gets on the PM phone*

Nameless
2009-10-19, 04:20 PM

D: He's a good daddy! *nodnod*

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-19, 07:19 PM
The recent direction in this thread reminds me of a couple of lyrics:

"They don't yell, and they don't tell, and oh, they're grateful as hell, So give me an older woman every time." - Benny Hill.

"If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, Never make a pretty woman your wife. So from my personal point of view, Get an ugly girl to marry you"

I do agree that perhaps by putting out what is "ideal" in the media, the majority of men who are not "alpha" material will gravitate towards the "sub-perfect" women. Although, the second song does take it a little far. There has to be some attraction(although maybe he just likes someone who cooks).

That being said, as someone once told me, it's all the same in the dark(apart from tactile sensations).

Dragonrider
2009-10-19, 08:09 PM
Guys, if you don't stop, the girls are just gonna let the thread die. I'm with Quincunx...don't really wanna hear it. :smallsigh:

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-19, 08:23 PM
Alright, so uhh, back to regular womanly stuff. Do any of the ladies here supplement their diets with plant-based oestrogen mimics(mostly found in soys, most beans, peanuts, etc.) in order to ameliorate the fluctuations? I do notice that among more rural Asians(who would naturally have a less Westernised diet), there seems to be a lower reported incidence of pre-menstrual anything.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-20, 05:57 AM
Long answer: No. Don't need them.
Short answer: No.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-20, 07:24 AM
I also wonder if life in rural Asia is hard enough that those women have more painful problems to worry about.

Anuan
2009-10-20, 07:33 AM
Long answer: Hell yes.
Short answer: Yes!

Syka
2009-10-20, 08:09 AM
I eat a fair amount of peanuts and used to drink a lot of soymilk. They also use a lot of beans and such in Krishna lunch. I didn't notice any significant change to my cramps. Other than that, I do notice if I eat more veggies in general (not just soy, beans, etc, but veggies period) I don't have as much mood fluctuations.

Sleep also helps. Sleep is probably the biggest thing. I'm normally pretty level but if I'm tired AND stressed from school, AND it's right before my period...it's not so fun. >> Just being tired makes me more irritable and depressed, which is one more reason for me to get sleep.

Go veggies! (No, I'm not a vegetarian, I just miss Krishna lunch :( ).

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-20, 10:45 AM
I eat a fair amount of peanuts and used to drink a lot of soymilk. They also use a lot of beans and such in Krishna lunch. I didn't notice any significant change to my cramps. Other than that, I do notice if I eat more veggies in general (not just soy, beans, etc, but veggies period) I don't have as much mood fluctuations.

Hmm. Do you suppose that's related to the bit about fibre I posted(well, ripped off, but I didn't try to pass it off as my own) in the previous thread? Whereby it helps to bind some of the excess progesterone(?), thus reducing the imbalance.

Syka
2009-10-20, 12:15 PM
Could be. I dunno the medical reasons, though. If I keep getting between-period cramping, I'll be going back to the docs for another check up and I'll ask her. :)

All I know is Krishna lunch (an all vegetarian meal served 5 times a week) cures most ills. Seriously, bad day? Solved! Getting sick? Cured! The two semesters before I ate Krishna lunch I was mildly sick at least once a month. Once I started eating Krishna, I think I was sick like twice the last 2 semesters.

Not too mention that almond-whatever salad dressing is crack in yummy form. :smallbiggrin: God I miss the lunch...I need to go up on a weekday some time.

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-20, 12:26 PM
Not too mention that almond-whatever salad dressing is crack in yummy form. :smallbiggrin: God I miss the lunch...I need to go up on a weekday some time.

Mmm, almond-whatever. Must try mixing one of those sometime. Light Olive Oil with blended almonds? I think we also had some kind of almond wine/syrup thing a while back, that's fantastic on greens. I usually eat my salad veggies rabbit-style, without any sauces, but I'll make exception for sweet dressings(can't stand vinegars for the most part, and my body actively rejects most white sauces).

Syka
2009-10-20, 12:45 PM
I'm trying to find the recipe for it, I know I saw it somewhere. It's incredible stuff. I'll edit this post if I find it.

Coidzor
2009-10-20, 01:05 PM
Hmm, you're lactose intolerant?

Syka
2009-10-20, 01:08 PM
As far as I know, no. For about a year there I was having digestive issues and thought I may be, but it seems to have disappeared (literally, the issues lasted almost exactly a year and are now gone). The lunch does use dairy products, if that's what you're wondering. They have a vegan option, but I always went the vegetarian route. I drink milk on a regular basis, as well as eat ice cream on occasion and other dairy products (cheest, yogurt, etc).

Coidzor
2009-10-20, 01:09 PM
I'm sort of boggling at how one's digestive tract can reject white sauces otherwise though. :smallconfused:

Syka
2009-10-20, 01:10 PM
I'm confused now? I can eat white sauces just fine. I love me some good alfredo sauce. If you were confused about the illness mention, I got sick significantly less after I started eating the lunch as opposed to before it and am addicted to their almond dressing stuff.

Coidzor
2009-10-20, 01:15 PM
Mmm, almond-whatever. Must try mixing one of those sometime. Light Olive Oil with blended almonds? I think we also had some kind of almond wine/syrup thing a while back, that's fantastic on greens. I usually eat my salad veggies rabbit-style, without any sauces, but I'll make exception for sweet dressings(can't stand vinegars for the most part, and my body actively rejects most white sauces).

As far as I can recall, white sauce is a simple butter or milk based sauce unless it be adapted to a more complex sauce that uses the white sauce as a base.

I might be misremembering my french cooking though.

Syka
2009-10-20, 01:16 PM
Wow. I should just not be on the forums for the duration of a semester.

Ignore my last, like, three posts. I'm out of it.

Can I blame it on the false alarm fire alarm today? Inciting panic and all that...:smallwink:

Coidzor
2009-10-20, 01:32 PM
Nah, quite alright.

I just now know more about your digestive tract than I was after, but no harm come of it to me, and I see no way to harm you of it. So peace, and carry on awhile yet.

I do have my own bad habits, f'r instance, my reluctance to quote consistently has made more than one keen to cut me down.

Douglas
2009-10-20, 01:41 PM
I just now know more about your digestive tract than I was after, but no harm come of it to me, and I see no way to harm you of it. So peace, and carry on awhile yet.
As far as I can tell you weren't after any information on Syka's digestive tract. The post you were responding to and later quoted was made by AtomicKitKat.

Coidzor
2009-10-20, 01:56 PM
As far as I can tell you weren't after any information on Syka's digestive tract. The post you were responding to and later quoted was made by AtomicKitKat.

Yes. Any information is more than no information. :smallbiggrin:

Thes Hunter
2009-10-20, 04:20 PM
Syka, during the year you had problems, were you eating more wheat?

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-20, 07:38 PM
Coidzor: Yes, I'm apparently Lactose Intolerant. I also generally avoid any sauce in the Mayonnaise/Hollandaise/Tartar family. Don't ask me why, but even though there's no milk in there, maybe the combination of raw egg white and vinegar just doesn't agree with my stomach. Interestingly, I figured out the other day why I managed to make it through school drinking a fair bit of milk(if you were undersized, like I was, they persuaded you to regularly buy subsidised milk) despite LI. When I was in Primary school, I used to take a lot of Vitagen/Yakult(approximately 1-2 bottles a day during recess), which contains Lactobacillus cultures, so I guess they were helping me pre-digest the milk. When I went to Secondary school, I didn't drink nearly as much, which lead to me avoiding milk products in general. I still don't take as much milk products as most people, simply because I don't like the taste of cheeses as much as most people(fruity yoghurts seem to be just fine though).

Jacklu
2009-10-20, 10:23 PM
Jacklu has a girly question for the girl thread. What is the general opinion on Nair and other non-shaving, non-waxing hair removal things? I just don't see it mentioned much and was wondering if there was a reason for that.

HellfireLover
2009-10-21, 02:24 AM
Jacklu has a girly question for the girl thread. What is the general opinion on Nair and other non-shaving, non-waxing hair removal things? I just don't see it mentioned much and was wondering if there was a reason for that.

Chemical depilators=useless on dark hair. They show the Nair ads here: 'smooth skin for up to six weeks', my eye. Guaranteed to make me rant at the telly. Epilators are good, but the sensation puts a lot of people off. Making your own sugaring solution is good fun (as is using the squishy paste :smallbiggrin:), but you have the potential to badly burn yourself. Hot sugar is not to be trifled with.

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-21, 02:47 AM
Beyond epilation, there's the more time-consuming method of removing them 1 hair at a time with tweezers. It helps to keep either an ice-pack or some other form of numbing sensation around the first few times you do it though.

Dragonrider
2009-10-21, 09:18 AM
...except that closes your pores, which makes it more difficult to pluck. :smalltongue:

Syka
2009-10-21, 09:30 AM
Syka, during the year you had problems, were you eating more wheat?

I don't think so. Half of the time I was up at school, the other half I was back home so I'm fairly certain it wasn't environmental, either. It may have been stress related because it began within a week of my mom being hospitalized briefly, then I was in my last semester of undergrad. After that, dunno. It's mostly resolved itself, though.

On nair, etc: I'm unsure. I've never used it, but we had some Nair I'd been going to use but...it smelled unpleasant and if you don't test it first on a small patch of skin you run the risk of a reaction. I do just fine with the razors right now, so I decided not to go down that path.

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-21, 10:03 AM
...except that closes your pores, which makes it more difficult to pluck. :smalltongue:

Huh. For some reason, I totally forgot about ice water and closing pores. In that case, sit on the loo for half an hour(read a paper or something) until your leg(s) go numb. The pins and needles sensation will be more than enough to keep you from feeling the tweezing pain. :smallwink:

HellfireLover
2009-10-24, 04:40 AM
So, opinions please. I've noticed this past year or so that my skin seems to have been progressively drying out; regardless of the amount of water I drink and moisturizer I slather on, by around 2pm I'm flushed and flaking, particularly on my cheeks and around the mouth. My skin sensitivity levels appear to have shot up too - I have five different foundations at the moment, ranging from mineral, to moisturizer-based, to cake-to-liquid, to colour-adapt - and every single one of them has, at some point, brought me out in a sort of rash. (Curse my pale hide, there is no way to hide it.) For various reasons, I stopped taking my birth control (combined) pill this last month and a half, and my skin had become dewier, softer and less prone to breakouts. It seems to heal quicker too, although that might be imagination. Is this a known side effect, because it's not one I'm aware of.

In the same vein, alternative forms of BC - how many options and how easy are they to get? Every doctor I've been to has been eager to shove me onto the Pill tout de suite since I was thirteen, and if it is slowly desiccating me from the inside out, I'd quite like to know my options.

SMEE
2009-10-24, 04:49 AM
HFL: Yes, it's normal. In fact, when I started to read your post, the first thing that crossed my mind to solve your problem was to stop taking the pill and find another.
You might want to talk to your gyneco about Depo-provera.
It's a progesterone based birth control method, and it's taken as a shot once every three months.
It might be less aggressive to your skin.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-24, 07:48 AM
There is a reason your skin looks your best when you are ovulating. The Estrogen surge is responsible for that 'holy crap I'm so beautiful!' skin glow.
Maybe I should srsly consider doing reproductive endocrinology.

HFL - You live in Britain right? I don't know how that health system works, but you may wish to try to see a dermatologist. There may be things that can be done to get your skin tone more even so you do not have to use foundation, and recommendations on how to cope with the dry skin.

My goal with my skin care is to get myself away from wearing a foundation daily. I find that the foundation over the course of the day can actually make my skin look worse. However, the shape my skin is in currently, with foundation is better than without.

Serpentine
2009-10-25, 02:42 AM
I like my Implanon. Hurt like buggery to get it put in (I think they didn't do the anaesthetic quite right... 'course, I could be making up memories, too), but it only has to be done every few years, and then forgotten about. More reliable that condoms and surgical sterilisation. Haven't been knocked up yet! :smallbiggrin:

Other than that, ionno what's up with your skin. Ask a GP.

Syka
2009-10-25, 10:45 AM
The Pill is pushed because it's one of the cheapest forms to implement and stop. Both Implanon and IUD's cost a fair amount to be put in, and there is a cost associated with having them removed. The shot I know some doctors are hesitant about because if you have adverse effects (mood swings, cramps, weightgain, etc), you can't stop it. You have to wait it out until it leaves your system. Basically- the Pill is the easiest to stop and start, least invasive, and the cheapest up front (can be more expensive over time, though...at 7 dollars a pack for six years every month....I've spent just over 500 USD on it...WITH insurance).

It's also got the most options for hormone dosages.

I wouldn't count the Pill out if you've only tried one kind (I had a heckuva time on a regular dose, but I love my low-dose Pills), but I would look into the Shot, Patch, Implanon, and various IUD's.

Some doctors won't do IUD's without you having had a child because they can be harder to fit, but if you are insistent they probably would. If not for my cramps, I'd be wanting an IUD, tbh.

ETA: And Nuvaring. Forgot about that.

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-25, 11:19 AM
Implanon: I'm guessing this is some sort of subcutaneous "super slow release(years?!) pill"? Intriguing, but certainly sounds like something worth looking into if one is in for the long haul(but doesn't want children for a couple of years).

Syka
2009-10-25, 11:23 AM
Implanon: I'm guessing this is some sort of subcutaneous "super slow release(years?!) pill"? Intriguing, but certainly sounds like something worth looking into if one is in for the long haul(but doesn't want children for a couple of years).

It's definitely pretty awesome, and if you decide you don't want it in for the full three (I think) years, you can get it out whenever pretty much. I'd do it, except of the forms mentioned, only the Pill gives me any sort of control over whether or not my period happens. :smallyuk: Darn cramps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implanon

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-25, 11:30 AM
As far as hair removal cream goes, I have dark hair, so it doesn't keep hair away for up to six weeks, but more like two.
It's good stuff though as certain brands alo help moisturise the legs and then there also isn't any of the pain one gets from shaving or waxing.
Personally, I'd recommend Veet/Nair, but it's rather messy. I may have to buy those ready done wax strips while I'm at uni because of the mess factor and the fact that I left my razor at home too.
Recommendations?

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-25, 11:36 AM
I vaguely remember something about using chemicals to bleach the hairs, but I'm not sure how well it works with really dark hairs, and also, damage to the skin. I'm sure one of the better-endowed Chem-majors around here can recommend something more suitable than Hydrogen Peroxide(about the only thing I can remember for bleaching, hence "peroxide blonde").

Dragonrider
2009-10-25, 11:40 AM
But with bleaching, they're still THERE. :smalltongue: And NOT THERE is what I, anyway, am going for.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-25, 11:43 AM
But with bleaching, they're still THERE. :smalltongue: And NOT THERE is what I, anyway, am going for.

I believe it's what all shavers are going for. :smalltongue:

Also: *hugs DeeRee*

Pyrian
2009-10-25, 01:29 PM
I suppose bleaching is for if you just want to look shaven, and don't care whether or not you feel shaven.

Dragonrider
2009-10-25, 02:02 PM
I believe it's what all shavers are going for. :smalltongue:

Also: *hugs DeeRee*

This is true. :smallamused:

Also: *Hugs Koorli back*

Coidzor
2009-10-25, 02:04 PM
Y'know, since it's tricking one's body into thinking it is pregnant, it's actually pretty fortunate that profound weight gain isn't a more common side effect than it is. That struck me just now. :smallconfused::smalleek:

I wonder what time periods of other maintenance measures compare cost-wise with treatments to just kill off the leg hair...

Dragonrider
2009-10-25, 02:19 PM
Y'know, since it's tricking one's body into thinking it is pregnant, it's actually pretty fortunate that profound weight gain isn't a more common side effect than it is. That struck me just now. :smallconfused::smalleek:

That makes no sense. :smallconfused: Weight gain happens in response to the event of another small person growing inside you.

Speaking of...I had a dream last night that I had a baby. :smalleek: And - get this - it was a virgin birth. Makes sense, given that we're talking about me and there's no guy in my life, but still was very weird. I've had a surprising number of such dreams of late. I guess I want a baby. :smallamused:

Coidzor
2009-10-25, 02:27 PM
That makes no sense. :smallconfused: Weight gain happens in response to the event of another small person growing inside you.
More body response to hormones released by such things, which are basically the hormones of pregnancy. Now the pill doesn't give all such hormones, but it's not that much of a stretch for the body to start producing the necessary hormones for other aspects of pregnancy in response to thinking it's pregnant. I don't fully understand the processes involved though, so it might be something completely other than the lines I'm thinking.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-25, 02:45 PM
I can't help thinking that a virgin birth would be more painful. :smallconfused:

...must...not...volunteer...services...aaaaargh...

=P

*volunteers in Pyrian's stead* >.>

Dragonrider
2009-10-25, 02:50 PM
Why oh why must you mock me? :smallsigh:

Pyrian
2009-10-25, 02:55 PM
:smallfrown: Aw. We tease you 'cause we adore you. :smalleek:

Dragonrider
2009-10-25, 03:03 PM
Because we're actually sexually harassing you rather than simply mocking you?

At least it feels like that line was just crossed...:smallfrown:

I was going with the less threatening-feeling motive...but you're right. :smallsigh:

SMEE
2009-10-25, 03:04 PM

I wonder what time periods of other maintenance measures compare cost-wise with treatments to just kill off the leg hair...

You have no idea how much I'd love if I got that side effect.
But no! All I got was lactation that lasted for over 8 months. :smallsigh:

Now, laser could end up cheaper than waxing in the long run, but it doesn't kill off the hair definitely. Electrolysis would. But that would be lengthy, painful and expensive.
I'll keep with waxing.

Fostire
2009-10-25, 03:25 PM
You have no idea how much I'd love if I got that side effect.
But no! All I got was lactation that lasted for over 8 months. :smallsigh:

Now, laser could end up cheaper than waxing in the long run, but it doesn't kill off the hair definitely. Electrolysis would. But that would be lengthy, painful and expensive.
I'll keep with waxing.

Wouldn't waxing be more expensive in the long run?
<-- has no idea of prices

SMEE
2009-10-25, 03:49 PM
Definitly not.

I pay roughly 13 USD per waxing session to see my legs free of hair for three to four weeks. They're very long legs.
Electrolysis is 13 USD per 15 minutes. Each leg would take 2 hours and a half to get done. And It would take about 15 months for the hair to die completely.

Waxing is much cheaper on the long run.

Fostire
2009-10-25, 04:03 PM
Definitly not.

I pay roughly 13 USD per waxing session to see my legs free of hair for three to four weeks. They're very long legs.
Electrolysis is 13 USD per 15 minutes. Each leg would take 2 hours and a half to get done. And It would take about 15 months for the hair to die completely.

Waxing is much cheaper on the long run.

So that means that it would cost 260 dollars to remove the hair on both legs, right?
Also, I'm not sure I follow the 15 month part. Does that mean that you need several electrolysis sessions during that 15 month period? if so, how often are these sessions?

SMEE
2009-10-25, 04:05 PM
I'd need a session roughly every 3 weeks during that period.

Fostire
2009-10-25, 04:17 PM
I'd need a session roughly every 3 weeks during that period.

So that would be around 23 sessions, at 260 dollars each is about 5900 dollars.
At 13 dollars a session and ~1 session per month, that price is equivalent to about 38 years worth of waxing.

So electrolysis would be cheaper than waxing in the long run (assuming electrolysis is permanent which I've heard is not).
Of course that's not taking into account the pain factor. Also you wouldn't see the benefits of that investment for 40 years so I don't know if it would be worth it.

Mando Knight
2009-10-25, 04:34 PM
Speaking of...I had a dream last night that I had a baby. :smalleek: And - get this - it was a virgin birth.
Let's see... betrothed to a carpenter? Spoken to by an angel? Have a barren post-menopausal cousin who just became pregnant mysteriously?

No?

I think you're safe. :smalltongue:

Makes sense, given that we're talking about me and there's no guy in my life, but still was very weird. I've had a surprising number of such dreams of late. I guess I want a baby. :smallamused:
I would offer to help, but a number of problems prevent me:
1.) Internet. Never offer such things over the Internet.
2.) I'm unbelievably shy.
3.) You're in a west coast state, I'm in the Midwest.
4.) If those three aren't enough, I could possibly scribble down a list of several dozen other factors.

*Slaps self*

Alteran
2009-10-25, 04:37 PM
I would offer to help, but a number of problems prevent me:
1.) Internet. Never offer such things over the Internet.
2.) I'm unbelievably shy.
3.) You're in a west coast state, I'm in the Midwest.
4.) If those three aren't enough, I could possibly scribble down a list of several dozen other factors.

You are a divine manifestation of all that is just, right, and holy, and she's a mortal human?

Dragonrider
2009-10-25, 04:48 PM
I probably should have made clearer that while I want a baby in theory, I don't really want a baby. :smalltongue: and you guys are creeping me out so stop please.

Mando Knight
2009-10-25, 04:48 PM
You are a divine manifestation of all that is just, right, and holy, and she's a mortal human?

I wish... :smallsigh:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-25, 05:12 PM
So . . .
I just went out with this guy. He's really sweet and generous and we get on really well. He even bought me dinner after he took me out!
And we're not dating.
Several people thought we were, but we're not.

I'm still uninterested in these things I think.

@DeeRee: Um. Weird? And *hugs back*

Fostire
2009-10-25, 05:14 PM
Several people thought we were, but we're not.

Just make sure he knows that as well :smalltongue:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-25, 05:18 PM
Just make sure he knows that as well :smalltongue:

Trust me, he knows. Because where we went wasn't exactly conducive to dately feelings. Without going into it at all, let's just say that he enticed me along to his place of worship and I said "Why not?" and went.
And before that was hanging out in his room.

He was as baffled as I was by all the suppositions.

Trog
2009-10-25, 06:27 PM
Speaking of...I had a dream last night that I had a baby. :smalleek: And - get this - it was a virgin birth.
I had a dream once that I was bleeding from both palms. Turns out I had lain on both my hands in such a way that they both fell painfully asleep. When I awoke I was weirded out and unable to do anything with my hands for several painful minutes of pins and needles. :smalltongue:

Lioness
2009-10-25, 06:42 PM
So that would be around 23 sessions, at 260 dollars each is about 5900 dollars.
At 13 dollars a session and ~1 session per month, that price is equivalent to about 38 years worth of waxing.

So electrolysis would be cheaper than waxing in the long run (assuming electrolysis is permanent which I've heard is not).
Of course that's not taking into account the pain factor. Also you wouldn't see the benefits of that investment for 40 years so I don't know if it would be worth it.

But you wouldn't have to wax for 38 years. I started waxing at about 12. I'm almost 17 now and I have to wax much less frequently. My hairdresser tells me that by the time I'm about 40 I wont have to wax much at all, because the hair wont grow. I don't know how accurate that is, but I'm living in hope.

I suck at shaving anyway.

Ricky S
2009-10-25, 07:02 PM
I probably should have made clearer that while I want a baby in theory, I don't really want a baby. :smalltongue: and you guys are creeping me out so stop please.

I am pretty sure that you do want a baby deep down. It is the basis of life. Ie reproduction. You want the baby at a primal subconscious level but when you think about it, it seems like a lot of work. Is this what you mean or am I completely off the mark?

Plus historically women were basically just expected to have children and raise them, I mean thats the whole point of having a womb. I know plenty of people who despite being career orientated women loved raising children.

I want to have a baby as well but I dont want to look after it :smallbiggrin:. It just seems like it is so much effort to raise a child these days. Aparently it costs nearly half a million dollars to raise a child till its 21. Thats a lot of money (In first world countries anyway)! Also looking at myself and what I was like as a kid, thats a lot of stress, disappointment, effort, that I would have to go to raise a child. I mean honestly think about having to raise a teenager! Stuff that!

SMEE
2009-10-25, 07:09 PM
I want to have a baby. :smallfrown:

Mando Knight
2009-10-25, 08:16 PM
I probably should have made clearer that while I want a baby in theory, I don't really want a baby. :smalltongue:I understand... university isn't the time or place to "get one right now" anyway.
and you guys are creeping me out so stop please.
:smallfrown: Sorry... I normally don't do that sort of thing... :smallsigh:

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-25, 08:29 PM
But you wouldn't have to wax for 38 years. I started waxing at about 12. I'm almost 17 now and I have to wax much less frequently. My hairdresser tells me that by the time I'm about 40 I wont have to wax much at all, because the hair wont grow. I don't know how accurate that is, but I'm living in hope.

I suck at shaving anyway.

In theory, anything that damages the hair follicles(burning, physical stress of being tugged and so on) will prevent any hair from growing.

Home-electrolysis: Anybody tried it? My brother had this absurd idea once of using a 9-volt battery, a couple of wires, and some needles to carry this out.:smalltongue:

Jacklu
2009-10-25, 08:36 PM
:smallsigh: Jacklu is prone to sudden passing fits of Baby Want. Which is odd, considering. <.< Luckily I have no possible outlet for such compulsions. T_T

Anuan
2009-10-25, 08:53 PM
I am pretty sure that you do want a baby deep down. It is the basis of life. Ie reproduction. You want the baby at a primal subconscious level but when you think about it, it seems like a lot of work. Is this what you mean or am I completely off the mark?
*snip*

Pretty sure she means she doesn't want a baby like now. Cause, y'know, she's eighteen.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-26, 07:17 AM
Dee Ree your dreams are probably a side effect of hormonal fluxes happening at your time of life.

And guys most of the white text was totally uncalled for. Deeree is cute and awesome and it's fine to lavish her with attention, but that crossed the line.

Castaras
2009-10-26, 08:19 AM
And guys most of the white text was totally uncalled for. Deeree is cute and awesome and it's fine to lavish her with attention, but that crossed the line.

And this is why I'm gonna follow Quin's example... too much guy creepiness in this thread for my liking, and not enough actual girly advice stuff. :smallannoyed:

Anuan
2009-10-26, 08:35 AM
Gonna step in here and apologise for everything the guys have done that's been offensive before the entire thread dies from everyone leaving it. Many of the posts seem to have been deleted (either that or I'm losing my mind/eyesight) but it was wrong of the comments to be made in the first place; DR has mentioned before she's uncomfortable with many comments on her appearance, and it'd really be better of people remembered it.
These threads are generally good even from a male perspective (yay learning how to not get slaughtered by the raging beast that is any of my friends on PMS) and I'd really prefer if they didn't die.
Please?

SMEE
2009-10-26, 08:45 AM
And this is why I'm gonna follow Quin's example... too much guy creepiness in this thread for my liking, and not enough actual girly advice stuff. :smallannoyed:

Seconding this move for now.
Also, mood is awful. PMS thing going on. Expecting pain for the next few days. :smallmad:

Dragonrider
2009-10-26, 10:05 AM
I am pretty sure that you do want a baby deep down.

That's what I SAID. It's not deep-down, it's perfectly conscious. But I'm also a Freshman in college. It's gonna have to wait four years, minimum, and also until I find a guy. NOT one who randomly propositions me online. :smallannoyed:

You want the baby at a primal subconscious level but when you think about it, it seems like a lot of work. Is this what you mean or am I completely off the mark?

Yeah, you're pretty off the mark. :smalltongue: It's not that it's a lot of work. It's that I'm not in a position where it's desirable, recommended, or remotely possible. :smallamused:

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-26, 12:21 PM
Okay girls, advice time!
I live in a corridor which is two - thirds girls, so obviously there's quite a bit of PMSing at times.
Now, the problem is that . . . *sigh* I'll be blunt.
At least one person is having their period right now. How do I know? They leave evidence.
As in in the toilet bowl and on the seat. And both times I've cleaned up afterwards because I needed to use the loo and gross. So how do I go about telling the other girls to well, clean up after themselves?

Trog
2009-10-26, 12:21 PM
It's gonna have to wait four years, minimum, and also until I find a guy.
Hazzah for planning ahead! :smallsmile: I didn't have my first child until both my ex-wife and I were out of college. Even then we weren't exactly planning on it (or maybe she was and I was just my usual clueless self) but I think it would have been really difficult on us both had we had kids before we finished school. Not saying that juggling a child and school cannot be done and done very successfully (*cough*Zeb*cough*) but I think that the idea that it would be a lot of added responsibility and stress is sort of a no brainer. Not that one always gets to choose when it happens if one is sexually active, even when being careful. Lots of qualifications being put in here. Long story short: good for you for knowing what you want. :smallsmile:

Though on the subject of baby want I have a small amount of that now. :smallsigh: So it's not just a woman thing. It probably stems from the majority of people whom I am close with having kids this past year. And from babysitting one of them on a regular basis. Darn kids are so cute. :smallbiggrin:

SMEE
2009-10-26, 12:29 PM
Okay girls, advice time!
I live in a corridor which is two - thirds girls, so obviously there's quite a bit of PMSing at times.
At least one person is having their period right now. How do I know? They leave evidence.
As in in the toilet bowl and on the seat. And both times I've cleaned up afterwards because I needed to use the loo and gross. So how do I go about telling the other girls to well, clean up after themselves?

Leave a note at the bathroom/their wardrobe. Somewhere they'll find it.
A letter is likely to cause less drama too.

Edit:
Also, I'll try to avoid the "baby want" subject for now... I'm PMSing, and in two or three days the cramps will start and I'll be reminded 24 hours per day for 3 to 4 days that despite going through that pain every month, I can't get pregnant. :smallsigh:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-26, 12:30 PM
Okay girls, advice time!

If you know who it is, private conversation. If not...passive-agressive notes! =D

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-26, 01:20 PM
"Dear PMSer on their period right now,
Here's the thing, we know you're a girl. And we all know that girls have periods. However, what we don't want is evidence that someone is having a period left in the bathroom.
Try to clean up after yourself love.

Yours,
A concerned and annoyed person."?

That work?

Crixon
2009-10-26, 01:39 PM
I might say please myself simply as love, not all people use that, at least around here i rarely hear it, so it could be used to limit people of who may have placed the note, though i am paranoid so it could just be that side of me talking again, but other then that seems good.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-26, 02:11 PM
True, "love" as a term of address isn't exactly common up here, whereas where I'm from it's common to address strangers as 'love'/'bird'/''ansum as in "'Right my 'ansum?" as a greeting, but here it's just seen as weird.

Crixon
2009-10-26, 03:48 PM
Ya, so if you want it untracable, well make it alot harder to trace to you, just incase, i would avoid love, please instead of love would seem to fit wonderfully, but again i tend to be paranoid and it is only my suggestion, but just what i would do :P on a side note, that is really gross, i would HATE to see that on the toilet and would probably find a new one (i hate touching garbage and no way i would touch anything remotely like that, though wounds dont bother me go figure :S)

Coidzor
2009-10-26, 04:27 PM
I always favored printing up some officious flyers, perhaps with the aid of the RA and posting them at the entrances to the bathrooms. Or rather, that's what they did on my ex's dorm floor when they had someone routinely making a mess of things.

Though this was mainly someone not flushing and only occasionally leaving, well, y'know. :smallyuk:

Edit: That is to say, more of a facless general reminder of where to dispose of it properly and other proper bathroom procedures.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-26, 04:41 PM
@Smee - I am sorry you have to go through cramps. I would never wish them on anyone.

(and secretly deep down in side I am thinking, 'Boy I wish more men REALLY understood how fricken painful they are!')

And I am all for what everyone else said: Make it anon, because anything else will cause too much drama. It also allows the person to save face (Very important) and points out that the flaw is easily corrected (also very important).

*a side note* I would not like to see this thread die. I don't know why, but this is one of the few threads I actually find interesting enough to read anymore.

Ricky S
2009-10-26, 06:03 PM
Sometimes I wish that it was a requirement of life that you had to spend a year as the opposite gender. It would really make us appreciate what the opposite gender has to go through. I am sure it would make me less of an jerk towards women (not that I actively try to be but I always end up doing it through ignorance).

I also dont want to see this thread die. Even if I am not being particularly helpful in what I am saying:smallbiggrin:

Dragonrider
2009-10-26, 07:02 PM
*a side note* I would not like to see this thread die. I don't know why, but this is one of the few threads I actually find interesting enough to read anymore.

I agree. That's why I'm so mean. :smalltongue:

Thes Hunter
2009-10-26, 07:16 PM
On second thought, I don't think I want to make that pity comment on how I am beginning to identify with guys.... because we do not want to encourage certain forms of discussion... :smallsigh:

Jacklu
2009-10-26, 07:31 PM
Sometimes I wish that it was a requirement of life that you had to spend a year as the opposite gender.

If I was elected leader of the world, this would be my first act. Right after the development of a Gender Bender Beam. :smallsigh: Changing back at the end of the year would be optional. <.< >.> Sorry for the lack of meaningful contribution to the thread. I tried really hard, but mah brains aren't working lately. Or ever. T_T

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-26, 07:44 PM
If I was elected leader of the world, this would be my first act. Right after the development of a Gender Bender Beam. :smallsigh: Changing back at the end of the year would be optional. <.< >.> Sorry for the lack of meaningful contribution to the thread. I tried really hard, but mah brains aren't working lately. Or ever. T_T

I'd wager a fair amount of the web-based world would agree, although probably a large percentage of those would include the caveat "except for me". Depending on how easily accessible it is, and/or cooldown, I can see some people using it to dodge certain "features" of the gender they're in for however long, before switching back.:smallsigh:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-26, 08:07 PM
On second thought, I don't think I want to make that pity comment on how I am beginning to identify with guys.... because we do not want to encourage certain forms of discussion... :smallsigh:

I apologize if my horrible, lame sense of humor has made anyone want to leave the thread. *huggles*

SMEE
2009-10-26, 08:11 PM
@Smee - I am sorry you have to go through cramps. I would never wish them on anyone.

(and secretly deep down in side I am thinking, 'Boy I wish more men REALLY understood how fricken painful they are!')

While they are really painful, and getting worse at each cycle, the worst part is the added injury that I don't have a womb. :smallsigh:
And I too wish more men would understand how impairing they can be. :smallfurious:

Coidzor
2009-10-26, 08:17 PM
Well, it's hard to get an analogy, really. Since during them all that's encountered is hostility and thrown weaponry/cutlery and when they're not currently happening such discussions are verboten.

So it's some sort of nebulous homicidal-urges triggering pain.

SMEE
2009-10-26, 08:23 PM
Well, it's hard to get an analogy, really. Since during them all that's encountered is hostility and thrown weaponry/cutlery and when they're not currently happening such discussions are verboten.

So it's some sort of nebulous homicidal-urges triggering pain.

Yes, it is that painful. :smallfrown:
Also, I can feel some early signs of my cramps. I better get ready. This month ones will be terrible. :smallsigh:

Thes Hunter
2009-10-26, 08:57 PM
Smee do not give up hope yet. Scientific research is progressing at an alarming rate. There may be breakthroughs in both science and society that allow you to have a child that is biologically yours and that you carried to term.

With the workload that is coming at me in the next few years, and that I do not think my parents are capable of raising an infant for me, I have basically given up on the idea of having a child that is biologically my own. So I will adopt, which allows me a greater flexibility.

Because I am getting to the age when not only would it be hard for me to conceive, but the likelihood of genetic anomalies is becoming exponentally higher each passing second.

(The quick web research is differing markedly from what I remember for class, but I don't have time to pull out the actual numbers. But needless to say, it's becoming more and more likely, while getting pregnant in the 1st place is getting less and less likely)

Serpentine
2009-10-26, 11:35 PM
So, migranes. Do you has them?

I'm having one right now. At the moment, it's just this weird blindness, maybe a touch of nausea, and a hint of a headache. I'm so glad I don't get them nearly as bad as other people, that must really suck. Mine are mostly just weird. They generally go in this progression:

1. A finger (or rarely, another body part) goes numb. The sensation moves from that point, say up my arm, for a while. The most extreme case of this, it went from my little finger, across to my three outer fingers, into my hand, up my arm, and eventually into my cheek then the inside of my mouth.
2. I go partially blind. I get an odd blankness in the corner of my eye - there's just nothing there. The patch slowly moves to the front of my eye, and becomes (or I can just see it) an odd patch, kinda like television static... maybe crossed with rippling water. The first time I ever had a migrane, it started when I was playing Donkey Kong Country 2. I started getting frustrated, because I couldn't see how many bananas I had without going out of my way to move my eyes right across to that corner of the screen.
3. I start getting slightly nauseous.
4. I get a dull but annoying headache that often lasts for several days.

How do everyone else's go? My mother had to stop as soon as she noticed it coming, if she was in her car, because she'd end up not being able to see a thing. I suppose I would too, but it's never really come up...

To the fellows appologising profusely: You ought to know better than to act that way with DeeRee, but don't feel too bad, not everyone minds. Just pick and choose at whom you direct such quips.

Also: GO VOTE.

SMEE
2009-10-26, 11:50 PM
So... it's 2:54 am and I'm here, awake and cringing in so much pain.
Cramps hit earlier and hit very strong. :smallfurious:

Serp, I never had migraines, but my little brother has them once in a while.
Ugly stuff.

Helgraf
2009-10-27, 12:07 AM
Okay girls, advice time!

Glek. Yeah, private conversation if possible, otherwise, well _something_ has to be done. A note may not be a bad idea, though I'm not neccesarily in agreement with the passive-aggresive part.

This said, I'm on the wrong side of the gender fence for this one.

Jacklu
2009-10-27, 12:15 AM
Clearly not the for the same reasons, but I get migraines as well. They tend to start as a dull pain behind the eyes that spreads slowly. It focuses into a powerful pain. I like to describe it as headache gnomes inside my skull working tirelessly with jackhammers and explosives to escape. It can get bad enough to blur my vision sometimes. They also come with an acute and painful sensitivity to light. Lights of any degree feel like lasers burning through my head.

But the oddest trait of my migraines is the fact that somewhat often they will be a quasi-painless experience. I've found it impossible to express in words what it is like. It's... all of the feelings of a migraine, but the pain fails to register in the conscious part of my brain. That is, I can still feel that the pain is there, I just can actually feel it. But at the same time, it still manages to be almost unbearable. It defies description. Anyways, that's what mine feel like. Luckily I tend to avoid a lot of the nausea that seems to usually come with migraines.

Not sure how relevant that is to this thread...

Serpentine
2009-10-27, 12:53 AM
Women get them a lot more often (twice? three times?) than men. Thus the relevance.

Curly: I think a general notice in the bathroom, asking everyone to be considerate, would be better (at least for starters) than a person-specific complaint. Say, "Please check the toilet bowl and seat are clean of blood etc when you have finished to avoid discomfort for other users. Thank you." on the wall or mirror.

HellfireLover
2009-10-27, 02:33 AM
I also get migraines, though not on the regular basis I used to. Strip or fluorescent lights can be triggering for me, because of the way they blink rapidly. They tend to manifest as a godawful throbbing pain in one side of my head and behind one eye, accompanied by tunnel vision, light sensitivity, and extreme nausea which can and does develop into physical sickness. When I get a migraine, I tend to go curl up in a dark room. Recovery time is from 24 hours to 3 days, depending on the severity of the attack. Blah. I used to have to take preventative medication in my teens, but it made me feel so trippy and affected my schoolwork (couldn't use machinery! - I failed technical studies that year) so much that I had to stop taking it.

I second the idea of a sign in the bathroom. It doesn't single anyone out and is not too confrontational. These things tend to work in a shared environment.

Syka
2009-10-27, 08:42 AM
I don't get migraines, never have. Cramps were my womanly curse. My sister gets a less bad version of my cramps (her's are pretty much gone with the Pill, lucky girl), but she used to get killer migraines. We managed to figure out that it was not eating. She now has to eat something, at least a snack, every 3 hours or so otherwise she gets the headaches. She even got special permission to eat during class when she was in high school, which is normally a no-no. But it's better than her not being able to pay attention.

As for the bathroom, note is generally the best way. And a public note, but make it general. Like Please clean up after yourself in the bathroom. We all have to share it. Or something like that. I lived in a dorm type deal, and there were often notes placed if something happened.

WalkingTarget
2009-10-27, 08:58 AM
So, migranes. Do you has them?

[snip]

2. I go partially blind. I get an odd blankness in the corner of my eye - there's just nothing there. The patch slowly moves to the front of my eye, and becomes (or I can just see it) an odd patch, kinda like television static... maybe crossed with rippling water. The first time I ever had a migrane, it started when I was playing Donkey Kong Country 2. I started getting frustrated, because I couldn't see how many bananas I had without going out of my way to move my eyes right across to that corner of the screen.
3. I start getting slightly nauseous.

[snip]

How do everyone else's go? My mother had to stop as soon as she noticed it coming, if she was in her car, because she'd end up not being able to see a thing. I suppose I would too, but it's never really come up...

I get them occasionally (more so back in high school, but I've had a few over the last couple of years). For me they start with your part 2. You know the afterimage spots you get when you look at a bright light then look away? That's the effect that I get slowly creeping in all around my peripheral vision about half and hour before the headache actually begins, but it never totally occludes my sight. Nausea is just a bonus after it's really had a chance to get rolling (though I haven't actually thrown up due to one in about 10 years). The additional side effect for me is that after a few hours my brain will just shut down. I'm not tired before the headache, but a few hours into it I just can't keep my eyes open and I'll nod off for an hour or two (I'll be wide awake right up until that happens, though - not good if I'm driving somewhere). When I wake up, I'll be better (if the headache isn't gone already it'll be on its way out).

I've got a handful of friends (mostly female, but another guy in there too) that have them often and for extended periods of time, though. My first girlfriend was home schooled from junior high onwards because she would otherwise be out sick too often to get anything done. Another friend can have migraines that can last months or years and nothing much seems to help. She's been dealing with another recently, but she's also pregnant and so can't take the medication she had been taking for them and the hormone swings haven't been helping. :smallfrown:

Serpentine
2009-10-27, 09:13 AM
Ugh. Your last friend... That's nearly as bad as permanently having the hiccups! :eek:

Once when I had a migraine, I seemed to just have a lot of trouble talking. I completely forgot how to finish the word "computer". I stood there saying "comp... com... compu..."

Thes Hunter
2009-10-27, 09:24 AM
*hugs SMEE* I am sure you have already found out, but liver killing amounts of Ibuprofen helps.

I am glad I do not get migraines. I get some serious sinus headaches, but not migraines proper.

SMEE
2009-10-27, 09:27 AM
Actually Thes... it doesn't. No painkiller I tried did a thing. :smallsigh:

Only chocolate and hotwater bag work. :smalleek:

Dragonrider
2009-10-27, 10:10 AM
I get migraines from eating cheese.

Not exactly helpful. Sorry, Serp. I wish I could be. :smalltongue:

My period's due this weekend though and I'm really hoping that the nausea the last two times was coincidental. If it starts again, it's pretty much a sure thing that that's what's causing it, and that will suck. :smallsigh: But better than horrible cramps, I suppose. I get them, and pretty badly sometimes, but ibuprofen helps and usually it's only about one day out of the five.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-27, 10:14 AM
I get the nausea as well, I always thought it was from taking too much ibuprofen.

Dragonrider
2009-10-27, 10:18 AM
I get the nausea as well, I always thought it was from taking too much ibuprofen.

I don't think so...at least, not in my case...

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-27, 11:08 AM
Is it a bad thing to say I almost never get period pains then? And if I do they're so mild I don't even notice them as they're more like a mild muscle stretch.

It turns out that I do get migraines though, from what other people have described at least, and I just work straight through them without aid, occasional blindness and nausea - inducing pain and all.
They tend to go away after a day or so though.

Syka
2009-10-27, 11:13 AM
Is it a bad thing to say I almost never get period pains then? And if I do they're so mild I don't even notice them as they're more like a mild muscle stretch.

You suck. :smalltongue:

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-27, 11:25 AM
Migraines: I always get them when I ignore my mother's advice and go to bed with wet hair. Other than that, it usually occured when I went from extreme heat(walking in the sun) to extreme cold(entering a sub 22 degrees Celcius lecture hall). The worst types came with blink-throbs. Come to think of it, I think that's since become a permanent feature of my blinks. I blink, and I hear this "GRROOB" sound in my ear. Maybe I affected the oropharyngeal sinuses during my teens. :( Also, I've had them occur where it feels as though the eyes are "frozen", in a similar manner to drinking very cold drinks very rapidly. The best(for me) migraine treatment I found was running near boiling(like 65+ degrees Celcius) water from the shower over my head, then letting the hot water evaporate, "taking" the migraine with it. Cold water seems to aggravate it. YMMV, since I'm a fire sign.

Speaking of weird connections, since about the age of 7 or so, I've found that I can create a weird(not necessarily unpleasant) quivering sensation down the spine, coupled with goose-bumps along the arm, if I concentrate and swallow my spit. Anyone else get weird nerve connections like that? I know, it's not really a girl-ish thing, but I suspect some degree of synesthesia, which is supposed to occur more in women than men.

SMEE
2009-10-27, 11:26 AM

*jealous, like... 150% jealous* :smalleek:
Yeah... that's weird...

Thes Hunter
2009-10-27, 12:20 PM
AKK - Your blinking and getting the ear sound is really really weird.

Below the cut is my ruminations on why the connected actions are strange indeed.

The tiny muscle (tensor tympani) in your ear that is responsible for the sound in your ear when you yawn is innervated by the Trigeminal nerve.

The muscle that does blinking is the orbicularis oculi and is innervated by the facial nerve.

While the facial nerve does do some sensory innervation to the oropharynx it is below the region that has the tensor tympani muscle. Though the facial nerve does send the nerve responsible for taste through the ear... it's still a sensory nerve and not a motor nerve. So if the same nerve is involved in blinking and the 'blorp' sound in your ear... it is very strange indeed. :smallwink:

cycoris
2009-10-27, 12:34 PM
Bleh. I only get cramps at night, usually for the 3 or 4 days before my period, and they get worse when I lie down, to the point where I can't sleep. Usually they'll start at 7 or 8 and go until about midnight, so I'll stay up and try to distract myself until they go away, and then I go to bed. But it means that by the time my period starts, I'm generally sleep-deprived and not in teh best of moods in the first place. :smallsigh::smallannoyed:

Also, I crave salty crunchy snack foods and fruit juice when I'm PMSing.

Coidzor
2009-10-27, 02:59 PM
Actually, what causes abdominal cramps anyway? I know at its most basic it's hormonal... but do we have any idea why they occur? Do they serve any purpose or are they just a physical reminder of the events going on and a deterrent against mating during the duration?

Are they more muscular spasms or more like, lockjaw where the muscles are locked in the firing position?

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-27, 03:16 PM
I think in the first incarnation of this thread, or in another, it was mentioned as something to do with helping in expelling the more liquid contents. Don't quote me on that though.

Syka
2009-10-27, 03:34 PM
I heard tell that cramps are practice for when one bears a child.

If so, my uterus is ready and rarin' to go.

That said, I'm pretty sure that's an old wives tale. Mayo Clinic has some info: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/menstrual-cramps/DS00506/DSECTION=causes

HellfireLover
2009-10-27, 03:39 PM
I always thought it was to do with the expulsion of the uterine lining. Out with the old, in with the new!

Deterrent against mating. *giggles insanely* Oh no no no no. Definitely not.

Coidzor
2009-10-27, 03:41 PM
Deterrent against mating. *giggles insanely* Oh no no no no. Definitely not.

So the pain is aphrodisiacal? Or relieved in some way by the act of mating for some then? :smallconfused:

I thought it was after ovulation that women spiked again after plummeting during uterine shifts.

blackfox
2009-10-27, 03:57 PM
I'm pretty sure that first it's ovulation, which involves the ovaries contracting, and then it's the uterus contracting to get rid of the uterine lining (which isn't needed if you aren't pregnant).

Coidzor
2009-10-27, 04:21 PM
^: Hmm, from what I can dig up, ovulation takes place about a week after the previous period starts. (http://www.ovulation-calculator.com/menstrual-cycle.htm)

Hmm. So the abdominals are just a side effect of the uterine contractions? Or the uterine contracts stress the abdominals due to structural fatigue?

SMEE
2009-10-27, 07:55 PM
I wish I knew, because mine doesn't make any sense at all.
All I know is that there's a lot of abdominal pain. :smallsigh:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-27, 07:58 PM
So the pain is aphrodisiacal? Or relieved in some way by the act of mating for some then? :smallconfused:

I thought it was after ovulation that women spiked again after plummeting during uterine shifts.

>.>

It's...there...I...

>.>

...*drags off somewhere else, whispers to*...

...understand?

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-27, 09:41 PM
I wish I knew, because mine doesn't make any sense at all.
All I know is that there's a lot of abdominal pain. :smallsigh:

I *sort of* feel your pain. I get weird stomach cramps every 1-2 months even without eating stuff(defined as "anything weird that could cause gastrointestinal distress), and I have neither the structure nor the hormones(that I know of).:smallconfused:

Lioness
2009-10-28, 07:02 AM
I don't often get cramps, but when I do, I can't get out of bed until they stop and often after that I'm still walking around gingerly.

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-28, 07:12 AM
I *sort of* feel your pain. I get weird stomach cramps every 1-2 months even without eating stuff(defined as "anything weird that could cause gastrointestinal distress), and I have neither the structure nor the hormones(that I know of).:smallconfused:

When that happened to me they determined I had a slightly ill appendix.

I don't get obscenely painful cramps that often. Not with every period. At most they're usually just uncomfortable.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-28, 07:21 AM
Oooo Thanks for reminding me that I needed to check out the Referred pain region chart before I jetted off for my exam!

And I get cramps so bad that I want an excuse from life for 24-48 hours, ibuprofen helps, and I can be continue to be quasi functional, but I am not happy about it.

I know mine are coming... :smallfurious:

Serpentine
2009-10-28, 07:21 AM
Speaking of weird connections, since about the age of 7 or so, I've found that I can create a weird(not necessarily unpleasant) quivering sensation down the spine, coupled with goose-bumps along the arm, if I concentrate and swallow my spit. Anyone else get weird nerve connections like that? I know, it's not really a girl-ish thing, but I suspect some degree of synesthesia, which is supposed to occur more in women than men.I can do that too! ...in association with... another... muscular action that's probably not suitable for polite company <.< I think maybe it's related to the second one of these (http://www.cracked.com/article_15953_sleep-jerk-piss-shivers-5-body-mysteries-explained.html) somehow?

Syka
2009-10-28, 08:04 AM
I'm with Hellfire. It's not that the pain is an aphrodesiac, but more than during that period one can get...well, randy, as Austin Powers would put it. In talking to friends it seems half experience the "rawr mate now!" thing and the other half are "get the eff away!".

Ovulation should occur mid cycle, day 11-18 or some such which is about two weeks after the beginning of menstruation if I'm not mistaken. The egg begins to ripen about a week after bleeding begins, but it doesn't drop for a bit after that normally.

Tracking ones cycle can be difficult, especially if one is not regular. You really need to know what your doing for it to be an accurate birth control method, too.

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-28, 10:09 AM
I can do that too! ...in association with... another... muscular action that's probably not suitable for polite company <.< I think maybe it's related to the second one of these (http://www.cracked.com/article_15953_sleep-jerk-piss-shivers-5-body-mysteries-explained.html) somehow?

Hmm, maybe. Sensation's not really identical, although I could see how it might be, especially if someone gently strokes one along the arm. *reads further* Ooh, the Tonsil stones. So that's what they are. I always thought it was a rice grain that got stuck in the throat for way too long.

cycoris
2009-10-28, 10:38 AM
Speaking of weird connections, since about the age of 7 or so, I've found that I can create a weird(not necessarily unpleasant) quivering sensation down the spine, coupled with goose-bumps along the arm, if I concentrate and swallow my spit. Anyone else get weird nerve connections like that? I know, it's not really a girl-ish thing, but I suspect some degree of synesthesia, which is supposed to occur more in women than men.

That would not be synaesthesia, as it isn't the crossing of two or more senses, and doesn't fit the diagnosis criteria of being automatic and involuntary.

I have almost-synaesthesia, where I associate people/their personalities with colours. But it doesn't count as strict synaesthesia because I'm seeing the colour behind my eyes (in my head) instead of physically having my vision overwhelmed by this burst of colour, even though mine does fit the other two criteria for being 'diagnosed' with synaesthesia.

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-28, 12:07 PM
I guess it's not synesthesia then. I mentally classify people in various ways. Sometimes it's by smell(currently, I have at least 2 people whose scents I automatically associate with them. Thankfully, both pleasant scents.), other times by voice(specifically, whether there's a certain pattern in how they speak that nobody else I know of utilises, or just the particular tones), and obviously, by sight. Most of the time, it's a combination of all 3(if I remember their voice, scent, and appearance, it would take regressive amnesia dating to before I've met them to remove them from my brain). Otherwise, I very seldom remember a person's name/face combination without long-term continued interaction. How do you(generic "you") remember people you know?

Fostire
2009-10-28, 12:15 PM
I remember people by their faces and other visual details. I can't remember people by their names. I remember the names, but I can't associate the name with the person.
Same thing happens here, I tend to associate people with their avatars more than with their usernames.

DrakebloodIV
2009-10-28, 01:25 PM
I remember people by their faces and other visual details. I can't remember people by their names. I remember the names, but I can't associate the name with the person.
Same thing happens here, I tend to associate people with their avatars more than with their usernames.

That's prettymuch exactly what I do. I know about a thousand people by face, but only thirty some odd by name, at best. But I make up for this by giving people nicknames based on their face or anecdotes I remember about them.

Fostire
2009-10-28, 01:35 PM
That's prettymuch exactly what I do. I know about a thousand people by face, but only thirty some odd by name, at best. But I make up for this by giving people nicknames based on their face or anecdotes I remember about them.

This type of conversations happen often to me:
Friend: "so me and John where hanging out yesterday having a few drinks and stuff"
Me: "wait, who's John?"
Friend: "You know John"
Me: "..."
Friend: "John Smith"
Friend: "he was in our class last year"
Friend: "the tall guy with the afro and the goatee"
Me: "oh, that guy. Yeah I remember him."

Dragonrider
2009-10-28, 02:26 PM
Maybe you should make a thread about this. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2009-10-28, 02:27 PM
Oh Deary, always so sniping. :smalltongue:

But yeah, that's part of what makes messing with people during the theme weeks so much fun, I believe.

:smallconfused:

...And here I thought this was the Random Banter thread...

Maybe I'm not as recovered as I thought.

Dragonrider
2009-10-28, 04:13 PM
Oh Deary, always so sniping. :smalltongue:

I know I'm mean. :smallsigh: :smallamused:

wadledo
2009-10-28, 04:35 PM
I know I'm mean. :smallsigh: :smallamused:

..........:confused:

Dragonrider
2009-10-28, 05:32 PM
..........:confused:

Whenever I say something critical, I feel mean. :smalltongue:

Sry guise. :smallamused:

Fostire
2009-10-28, 08:19 PM
Maybe you should make a thread about this. :smalltongue:

sorry about that, I tend to go off the tracks :smalltongue:

So. Genuine question:
I might dye my hair for a halloween costume. If I do I'm going for a light brown/dark blonde colour.
I recently realized that I really have no idea how to do it. I'm guessing it's not too hard and the box will probably have some sort of instructions, so is there anything in particular I should know before trying this?

Trai
2009-10-28, 09:30 PM

So. Genuine question:
I might dye my hair for a halloween costume. If I do I'm going for a light brown/dark blonde colour.
I recently realized that I really have no idea how to do it. I'm guessing it's not too hard and the box will probably have some sort of instructions, so is there anything in particular I should know before trying this?

I dye my hair about every two months (not a natural redhead), and I've done it for the past two years, I think? It's pretty straightforward-- I use Loreal Feria and the directions in the box are pretty self-explanatory. They tell you how to do everything.

The one thing they recommend you do before you dye your hair is smudge a bit of dye on your skin and leave it for maybe 24 to 48 hours to make sure you're not allergic to the dye.

I personally find it's easier when someone else does the dying and rinsing for me-- my mom does it for me-- just because I can't imagine doing it all by myself. That's just personal preference, though.

This might be kind of squicky territory, but I'm starting to get interested this and figured I'd throw it out there. I just attended an event on my campus about alternative menstrual products-- mainly, cloth pads and the menstrual cup. (Info here (http://www.lunapads.com/default.aspx?).) I'd heard about the products but didn't know much about them, so I got curious.

Now that I've gotten more information on these, I'm interested in trying the menstrual cup. The people speaking at the event brought up some valid points (a lot of environmental reasons for not using disposable pads/tampons, but the one that got me was that instead of spending $900 every decade on average for products, you only have to pay $30 or so for a menstrual cup every five to ten years).

Does anyone here use alternative products or know anyone who does? I know it's a bit out there, but I'm a bit curious to get more testimonials before I invest.

cycoris
2009-10-28, 09:33 PM

So. Genuine question:

Do a patch test. Do a strand test. THEN dye your hair.

Are you going for temporary, semi-permanent or what?

Fostire
2009-10-28, 09:49 PM
Do a patch test. Do a strand test. THEN dye your hair.

Are you going for temporary, semi-permanent or what?

What do you mean by patch and strand tests?

Since it's for a halloween costume I really only need it to last for the weekend, so temporary I suppose.

Anuan
2009-10-28, 11:23 PM
Patch of your skin (as mentioned before) and then a strand of hair.

HellfireLover
2009-10-29, 03:32 AM
Trai, I use a cup, and I totally love it. (Spoilered for those who don't want to read all about it.)

I've now had it for a year and it has more than paid for itself in that time, both in terms of not buying disposable products, and in ruined underwear. I use the Mooncup (http://www.mooncup.co.uk/). I used to hate using pads and tampons since they interfere with your natural lubrication, which the cup doesn't; it can also be worn much longer than tampons. If you're going to be emptying it in a public place, I'd advise carrying a bottle of water and some moist tissues with you, as it can get messy; and you get some truly boggled looks if you come out of a stall with bloodied hands (believe me, I've unfortunately been there in your stead.) I stick mine in a mild solution of Milton, commonly used for sterilizing babies' bottles, once my period is over, which cleanses it and stops it getting stained.

Pros: cramps less severe, much less discomfort to the mons pubis, which always ached and felt bruised when using pads; aforementioned lack of drying out, for want of a better phrase; environmentally friendly; cheaper. Cons: Messy to empty out; takes a bit of practice to get in and out (I had a major panic trying to extract it the first time, but I've got the knack now); squicks out partner somewhat (results may vary by partner).

Lioness
2009-10-29, 05:13 AM
That sounds really useful...changing tampons at school is a pain, because the bins are inconvenient to reach, and going to the loo every lunch an recess isn't either discreet or convenient.

CurlyKitGirl
2009-10-29, 05:30 AM
So. Genuine question:

You can get temporary dyes (lasting 'up to six weeks') in little sachets. Technically each sachet has four or five washes in it so you can just add it to your hair again like a shampoo when the colour starts to fade.
These products are the ones I use when I dyed my hair.
You'll find them in any pharmacy next to the braned or more permanent dyes; now the reason I use what I do is because you literally wash it in like shampoo and it works ine.
And if the colour doesn't suit you just wash it three or four times in a row and it'll get the colour out easily.

Lioness
2009-10-29, 05:49 AM
Forgive me for sounding petty. I'm not usually like this.

But my 'friend' is trying to catch the eye of my boyfriend, and keeps touching him. Just casual touches, like resting her hand on his arm or giving him a back massage. I feel like slapping her with an elephant. I know he doesn't react to it in any way, and that he's just as annoyed by it, but I still have this inner instinct to just tell her to back off. Problem is, we're sort of friends (by which I mean, she views me as a friend, but she's really started to get on my nerves lately). I'm torn between speaking my mind and trying to salvage the sort of friendship in the hope that she gains correct enunciation and a love for things other than cricket and my boyfriend. I don't have high hopes, but they're there.

I just need to rant. Feel free to ignore me. ^_^

Khanderas
2009-10-29, 10:12 AM
Forgive me for sounding petty. I'm not usually like this.

But my 'friend' is trying to catch the eye of my boyfriend, and keeps touching him. Just casual touches, like resting her hand on his arm or giving him a back massage. I feel like slapping her with an elephant. I know he doesn't react to it in any way, and that he's just as annoyed by it, but I still have this inner instinct to just tell her to back off. Problem is, we're sort of friends (by which I mean, she views me as a friend, but she's really started to get on my nerves lately). I'm torn between speaking my mind and trying to salvage the sort of friendship in the hope that she gains correct enunciation and a love for things other than cricket and my boyfriend. I don't have high hopes, but they're there.

I just need to rant. Feel free to ignore me. ^_^
Asking her "we are friends right ?" (and wait for her to say yes)
"problem is, I feel you are alittle touchy on my boyfriend, weather you mean it or not, can you tone it down alittle ?"

Or is it too simple ? Cause I dont know how she is as a person.
If she says she wont cooperate with your wishes in this matter (because she likes doing it / no big deal / whever), go ahead and don't consider her a friend anymore and let your BF use hard words if she persists on him. A friend can be friends with your BF, but not "friendly" if you see what I mean.

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-29, 11:48 AM
Could you get the boyfriend to tell her? Like "Seriously, I'm flattered that you think I'm attractive, but I'm seeing a Lioness right now, and I'd rather this not get between our mutual friendship with you, so I would appreciate it if you stop touching me in this rather inappropriate manner.":smallsmile:

SMEE
2009-10-29, 11:56 AM
Whee! The acute and throbbing pain is gone!
Now just a small discomfort remain as a reminder of how bad the last three days were. :smalleek:

Coidzor
2009-10-29, 12:00 PM
Um, duh? Just natural defending one's territory instincts right there.

Glad the worst of it's over, SMEE Bee.

Syka
2009-10-29, 09:25 PM
Lioness, has your boyfriend told her to back off? If not, why not?

My general rule is that it's up to my boyfriend to tell a girl to back off. I will discuss my feelings regarding it with him, but the onus is on him to talk to her. The ONLY time I will 'guard my territory' is if he's told her to back off and she persists. Basically, the way I see it, if a girl is openly flirting and being touchy with him and he doesn't feel a need to react, why should I? Why should I come off as clingy and crazy if he doesn't feel the need to do something about it? It's about a respect of the relationship and your partners feelings, and I see no reason to fight for something which my partner evidently doesn't seem equally involved as I.

(NOTE: expectations regarding such will have been discussed before such a situation arises, so it's not like I'm expecting my partner to just "know".)

I WILL however, mark my territory subtly. By making sure I'M the one touching him and not her, etc. Passive aggressive for the win. :smallwink: It's fun to see the look on girls faces who don't know the guy is taken. I've done it a couple times in situations where Boy (another boy, not Oz) was oblivious to the flirting and the girls were strangers.

Priceless.

Lioness
2009-10-30, 01:13 AM
Lioness, has your boyfriend told her to back off? If not, why not?

He doesn't like being so direct. He's been subtle, so whenever she tries to touch him, he leans away or shrieks and hugs me. But he hasn't actually told her.

I WILL however, mark my territory subtly. By making sure I'M the one touching him and not her, etc. Passive aggressive for the win. :smallwink: It's fun to see the look on girls faces who don't know the guy is taken. I've done it a couple times in situations where Boy (another boy, not Oz) was oblivious to the flirting and the girls were strangers.

Priceless.

I've been sort of doing this. Subtly stealing him etc.

I am a little worried about being too clingy, but he's told me he doesn't want me to do anything, because that would ruin the girl's and my 'friendship', and make everything a little awkward.
I'm respecting that because if I did something he'd probably lecture me.

Coidzor
2009-10-30, 01:16 AM
Umm. Give verbal cues about calling him your boyfriend and gratuitously making out with him.

If she joins in, she's also in to you, and I have no idea how to advise you.

I'm not sure how well this advice will work once you can pull it off, but something concrete should be done if he's "being subtle because he doesn't like confrontation" :smallyuk:

Khanderas
2009-10-30, 02:12 AM
I still feel that either it is unintentional and asking her to back off will make so happen with friendship / sorta friendship intact.
Or it is intentional, and there would be no more need to be subtle... or friendly.

Lioness
2009-10-30, 06:21 AM
Umm. Give verbal cues about calling him your boyfriend and gratuitously making out with him.

If she joins in, she's also in to you, and I have no idea how to advise you.

Bahaha! We'd be shot, not only by the school, but by the other students. We got told off for holding hands in the corridor the other day :smallmad:

Thes Hunter
2009-10-30, 07:07 AM
there is a slight possibility based on your story that she is being your friend because she thinks she can win him away. It sounds like she has gotten very clear non-verbal clues on his availability.

I like the line Khanderas gave above. It is clear and concise, and gives her the out that she didn't mean it.

Tell your bf that you will be having a talk with her.

Though he can always tell her that he is dating you. Though I know it's hard for guys to use their words.

Lioness
2009-10-30, 07:17 AM
Oh, she knows we are dating. I make very sure she knows it.

I'm thinking that if she does anything else I'll have a talk to her. If she stops though, I'll assume she's seen the error of her ways.

Serpentine
2009-10-31, 07:29 AM
Something for Syka. (http://www.cracked.com/video_18095_slutty-girls-in-slutty-halloween-costumes-tribute.html)

Neko Toast
2009-11-02, 11:50 PM
Raaaaaawr menstrual cramps. >.< I could use a little advice on medication for them. Normally, I would take Advil, but due to the stomach problems I've developed over the past month or so, I feel disinclined to use it. Are there any pain meds that are both effective and easy on the stomach? My cramps usually aren't that bad, so I don't need anything particularly strong.

Coidzor
2009-11-03, 12:08 AM
I didn't think ibuprofen hurt the stomach.. The liver, yeah. Aspirin I knew will hurt stomaches and livers. And tylenol hurts livers...

Hmm. Can't think of any other OTC pain-suppressants/anti-inflammatories.

How are you on Caffeine? Most drugs for it seem to incorporate ibuprofen, caffeine, a third drug which I believe is a diuretic (in addition to caffeine's diuretic secondary nature), and a fourth chemical which I can't for the life of me remember.

Anuan
2009-11-03, 01:45 AM
So, any of the girly-girls in the playground into corsets? I've just bought one as a christmas present for a friend (who is very into them, and also has the advantage of being frigging teensy), and it prompted me to ask. Partly out of curiosity in general, but also partly because I'm not usually into corsets but the one she picked out (link below) is really quite...well, beautiful.
guys in the girl-thread, dont let this become a sexual discussion, pleeeaaaase.
http://www.timeless-trends.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=7998399107188031745

Cobra_Ikari
2009-11-03, 01:55 AM
So, any of the girly-girls in the playground into corsets? I've just bought one as a christmas present for a friend (who is very into them, and also has the advantage of being frigging teensy), and it prompted me to ask. Partly out of curiosity in general, but also partly because I'm not usually into corsets but the one she picked out (link below) is really quite...well, beautiful.

That is, indeed, an extremely pretty corset. It does look mildly functional, though...I've never seen anyone wear a corset that wasn't strictly fashion. Doesn't it hurt? >.<

...then again, I love lacing my boots up so tight they nearly cut off my circulation. Maybe it's the same idea for your torso?

Serpentine
2009-11-03, 02:05 AM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT

<.<

Also want to be healthy enough for it to look any good v.v

I love corsets - as fashion accessories, not body modification devices. I just bought myself a waist cincher (like 1/3 of a corset), which is pretty spiffy.

cycoris
2009-11-03, 02:22 AM

*drools*

I've never worn a corset in my life, but I'd love to if I ever had the chance.

I wish that I had the opportunity to wear pretty dresses and corsets and such. I love formal dresses and such to pieces, but have never worn one, due to a lack of the kind of social life that involves going to fancy places. :smallsigh:

Serpentine
2009-11-03, 02:31 AM
Pffft. Who needs a reason?! =D

Anuan
2009-11-03, 02:37 AM
*drools*

I've never worn a corset in my life, but I'd love to if I ever had the chance.

I wish that I had the opportunity to wear pretty dresses and corsets and such. I love formal dresses and such to pieces, but have never worn one, due to a lack of the kind of social life that involves going to fancy places. :smallsigh:

I would love to see you in a corset. Just to clarify, I really do not mean that in any sort of sexual context. I can just see you looking very, very nice in a corset :smallsmile:
As Serp' said, who needs a reason? The friend I bought it for just wears corsets and dresses as general wear. She's wierd like that, but it suits her and it's kinda what she's known for :smalltongue:

SMEE
2009-11-03, 02:43 AM
Beautiful corset. :smalleek:

Like Serp, I love them as fashion accessories. I don't wear mine too tight when I go out with it. And my twins aren't big enough to fill the bust. >.<

I personally prefer overbust corsets over underbust, but that one you got is pretty. I just hope that you got the measures right.
I'm sure she'll love it. :smallwink:

Phaedra
2009-11-03, 02:50 AM
Oooo, purdy corset. I'd love a proper corset. A friend of mine makes them, I'm thinking I might commission one from her for Christmas. I can think of no opportunity to wear one in public, but dammit, I want one. I'll just have to wear it in private :smallwink:

Lioness
2009-11-03, 03:07 AM
I'd love to try a corset. It might choke me, but I want to try one. Especially a pretty one like that.

HellfireLover
2009-11-03, 03:08 AM
That is a gorgeous corset, for sure. I have a custom-made longline corset in black and midnight satin, steel spiral boned, but it isn't quite correctly proportioned for tightlacing, and I do I like to wear it quite snugly laced. I think my husband kind of hates me wearing it, but that's okay - you can tightlace a corset on your own - it's just not easy.

Anuan
2009-11-03, 07:49 AM
Beautiful corset. :smalleek:

Like Serp, I love them as fashion accessories. I don't wear mine too tight when I go out with it. And my twins aren't big enough to fill the bust. >.<

I personally prefer overbust corsets over underbust, but that one you got is pretty. I just hope that you got the measures right.
I'm sure she'll love it. :smallwink:

I'm sure she will, considering she picked it out XD

Syka
2009-11-03, 09:26 AM
Dude, can I be your friend? Seriously, I love corsets, and even if I'm more of an overbust fan, I would NOT turn that down lol. I'm just broke (as is my boyfriend, who is a fan of corsets as well). :(

The only corset tops I have are fashion ones from Fredricks. I have it in three different colors. (http://www.fredericks.com/Jacquard_+amp+_Lace_Corset/51246,default,pd.html?cgid=co1#) All of which I got on sale. I was actually able to incorporate one of them into my halloween costume and I'll probably wear another one to an event this week. No, no pictures will be forthcoming.

I came thiiiiiiiis close to getting a REAL corset about three years back at a medieval fair up near my university. It was absolutely beautiful. All of the fabric patterns were custom, they were reversible, the boning was the kind of metal that as it gets warmed by your body it forms to your curves more and it was just...beautiful. And about 300-400 USD. :smallfrown: I was going to get one the next year as a graduation present for myself, but they weren't there.

I even tried one on. I still am pining for it. :smallfrown::smallfrown:

cycoris
2009-11-03, 12:37 PM
Pffft. Who needs a reason?! =D

Well, I feel weird spending money on fancy clothes when I don't really need to. I'm a cheapskate like that. :smallyuk:

I would love to see you in a corset. Just to clarify, I really do not mean that in any sort of sexual context. I can just see you looking very, very nice in a corset :smallsmile:
As Serp' said, who needs a reason? The friend I bought it for just wears corsets and dresses as general wear. She's weird like that, but it suits her and it's kinda what she's known for :smalltongue:

I'm glad you clarified. :smalleek:

And I'd love to be able to wear fancy clothes, but in my experience they cost more and are harder to get than what I usually wear. Plus, they're not available at the Salvation Army.

Lioness
2009-11-03, 03:58 PM
I don't know about that. Our salvation army stores have a lot of old dresses, and just sometimes you find a gem in there.

A while ago we found a beautiful emerald green, princess cut dress. It had lace covering the boob bit (I'm so technical) and the rest of it just flowed. It had obviously been handmade, but handmade well. We got it for $10.

I've also found lots of other dresses, but not as fancy as that.

I can't wait until I'm a high level ballroom dancer, because then I can wear the awesome gowns like this (http://www.dancedressshop.com/images/ballroomdress/large/BD-SG2078.jpg) but prettier and more sparkly.

Coidzor
2009-11-03, 04:02 PM
Well, I feel weird spending money on fancy clothes when I don't really need to. I'm a cheapskate like that. :smallyuk:

Well, Anuan's friend seems to have found a solution to this problem. Get some guy to buy it for you in the hopes he can see you wearing it. :smallamused:

Maybe you should try amongst the other thrift stores in the area or try a different time of the month? I mean it's not super common but there's generally some that goes through there.

Thes Hunter
2009-11-03, 06:40 PM
I am very into corsets. And that is a very pretty one indeed.
I just need to lose some weight to fit into the ones I own.

Dragonrider
2009-11-03, 06:50 PM
Maybe you should try amongst the other thrift stores in the area or try a different time of the month? I mean it's not super common but there's generally some that goes through there.

hard to know. It's a pretty conservative (I should clarify: mostly traditional American cowboy types) small town not really corsetville. But then, I've found some awesome stuff there, too....

Anuan
2009-11-03, 07:17 PM
Dude, can I be your friend? Seriously, I love corsets, and even if I'm more of an overbust fan, I would NOT turn that down lol. I'm just broke (as is my boyfriend, who is a fan of corsets as well). :(

Sure, but you've narrowly missed out on the 'Anuan actually has money' time :smalltongue: There's always next Christmas, if you're lucky.

I'm glad you clarified :smalleek:

I can view the female form and clothing as being beautiful without being sexual, it's true :smalltongue: I'm wierd like that. A friend of mine is getting me to go lingerie shopping with her and paying for her stuff as a Christmas present. She's said I'm like a cliche gay friend but with girl-troubles. Accurate I suppose.

Well, Anuan's friend seems to have found a solution to this problem. Get some guy to buy it for you in the hopes he can see you wearing it :smallamused:

I bought it for her cause she's my friend :smalltongue: Getcher mind out tha guttah.

Coidzor
2009-11-05, 01:06 AM
Anuan: Sorry, but I kinda live here. Also, I know you want to see her wear it because rare indeed is the gift of clothing that is given without some aim of seeing it tried on. :smalltongue:

I am very into corsets. And that is a very pretty one indeed.
I just need to lose some weight to fit into the ones I own.

Ve have vays of fitting you into corset, da :smalltongue: *starts melting butter*

...Oh wait, corsets is fabric....

hard to know. It's a pretty conservative (I should clarify: mostly traditional American cowboy types) small town not really corsetville. But then, I've found some awesome stuff there, too....

Doesn't hurt to look. At least I hope not. Otherwise you need more light. Or possibly medical examination.

SMEE
2009-11-10, 08:18 PM
So girls... anyone else here loses a good deal of eye–hand coordination and generally feels slower to react to everything during PMS?

It has been a constant for me. I can't even play some video games I am rather good at properly because my response is just so slow. And riding the bike requires three times more attention during that time. :smallannoyed:

It's annoying. :smallyuk:

cycoris
2009-11-10, 08:29 PM
So girls... anyone else here loses a good deal of eye–hand coordination and generally feels slower to react to everything during PMS?

It has been a constant for me. I can't even play some video games I am rather good at properly because my response is just so slow. And riding the bike requires three times more attention during that time. :smallannoyed:

It's annoying. :smallyuk:

YES. I'm always way more klutzy when I'm PMSing. The way that I noticed is that I used to work summers in a pottery shop, and I always would break more pots then.

Also, in the past six months, my cramps have gone to relatively mild, only when I'm PMSing, and only in the early evening to quite a bit more ouchy, through the first couple days of my period, and don't go away until midnight-ish. This is annoying because my cramps have always gotten worse when I lay down, so now there's about a week per month during which I have cramps and can't sleep much because of them. :smallyuk::smallannoyed::smallsigh:

Syka
2009-11-10, 09:15 PM
SMEE, yes. I lose pretty much all ability to concentrate during the 5 days preceding my period. This is Not Good when it happens right before exams. Being a college student, this happens frequently. :smalleek:

Cycoris, try to get something warm (like a heating blanket) in bed with you. Small furry pets work as well. It helps to alleviate cramps to some degree, warm stuff does.

Month and a half in to the second set of three months sans period, and so far I'm cramp free. Keep your fingers crossed that they stay away until my period, because if they do that means I don't need to see the doc. If they don't, then I'm going to go talk to her again. :\

Ricky S
2009-11-10, 11:59 PM
YAY for corsets!!! And why would talking about corsets mean that it becomes a sexual discussion:smallconfused:?

Anuan
2009-11-11, 01:19 AM
Latepost much?
And because there were a few...incidents...with guys coming here and talking a little too bluntly about just how attractive some of the girls are. Even after they'd been asked to stop. It all got a little too sexual, some people left, etc. Was just a request that we talk about the articles of clothing themselves, rather than the physique of those talking about wearing them.

cycoris
2009-11-11, 12:57 PM
Latepost much?
And because there were a few...incidents...with guys coming here and talking a little too bluntly about just how attractive some of the girls are. Even after they'd been asked to stop. It all got a little too sexual, some people left, etc. Was just a request that we talk about the articles of clothing themselves, rather than the physique of those talking about wearing them.

Thanks, Annie. :smallbiggrin: And nope, I'm not going to stop calling you that. I'm a mean, bad person, I know.

I didn't want to have to be the one to say it. :smallsigh:

Coidzor
2009-11-11, 02:06 PM
Thanks, Annie. :smallbiggrin:

I didn't want to have to be the one to say it. :smallsigh:

Despite the fact that corsets are an absurdly sexualized and fetished article of clothing considering what they were... *shudder*

Also, you are horribly evil for reminding us of the Prequel Trilogy. :smallmad: :smalltongue:

Hmm... I just learned something about PMS today. Is it inner-ear and balance related, maybe?

Ricky S
2009-11-11, 08:53 PM
:smallsigh: But I dont wanna be evil...

Well I just wanted to get my two-cents in and I like this thread it makes me feel normal. I am just so sick of male physiology and being a male it means I am sick of myself. I am especially tired of the constant sex drive, its just so, so boring. Honestly I like corsets but not in a sexual manner. I like the idea of being asexual, now if only I could execute it.

Also how the hell do girls deal with guys all the time? I mean sure there are times you want the attention but dont you ever feel like stabbing guys sometimes(My mums a feminist so I know she does)? Being hypocritical in saying this but also on the intenet in the 'Girls' thread so you cannot escape here either! You are doomed, doomed I say

And if you want me never to return (being a guy and all) I will make a guy thread and I will leave you to your discussions of periods and pms.:smallsmile:

One last thing. Do you all know each other in RL?

Dr. Bath
2009-11-11, 09:12 PM
Guy threads have not ended well in the past... just saying.

High sex drive is not a male-only attribute, although I'm not sure if it is really more common in males or not. The social stigma attached to a male who doesn't think about sex the whole time or a female who does probably skews people's perception of the whole thing... this strays into the topic of gender in general as opposed to one particular gender though, so I'll shut my trap.

Also, do girls have some natural immunity to cold or something? I cannot understand how many girls survive going out in a skirt or otherwise with legs uncovered in British Autumn weather (that is, before the beer jacket gets put on). It's inhuman!

blackfox
2009-11-11, 09:16 PM
Also, do girls have some natural immunity to cold or something? I cannot understand how many girls survive going out in a skirt or otherwise with legs uncovered in British Autumn weather (that is, before the beer jacket gets put on). It's inhuman!I know plenty of girls who do this and just can't stop shivering and don't get it. I think it's part of the pain => beauty thing. Whereas for me I just don't get cold. :smalltongue: