PDA

View Full Version : home disk fixing? is there any way to do this?

Mystic Muse
2009-10-18, 06:24 PM
I have an old video game that I'd like to play again. the only problem is it's way too scratched up. is there a "do it yourself" way to get rid of scratches that doesn't involve one of those kits?

Spiryt
2009-10-18, 06:26 PM
There are applications that allow to copy data from damaged discs.

Although the good ones are, of course, not free, AFAIR.

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-18, 06:27 PM
google it

theres a method using washing up liquid that words fairly well

you might wanna make a new copy of the disc soon though

Spiryt
2009-10-18, 06:29 PM
If disc isn't too scratched, I often found that wiping it with some window cleaner (or similar stuff) worked.

Jack Squat
2009-10-18, 06:45 PM
Assuming it's the acrylic side that's scratched up, best thing you can really do is grab some (ammonia free) windex and a lint-free cloth and go to town. That's basically what those kits are anyways. You may be able to fix it, or may not, depending on its severity.

If it's the label side that's scratched, just play taps and toss it in the trash. Not really anything can be done for that.

As a side note, technically if the disk is damaged beyond repair, you're allowed to download a copy of the game to replace it. However, depending on if companies are still (illegally) pursuing lawsuits over this, you may still end up in civil court over it. So do so at your own risk.

littlebottom
2009-10-18, 07:18 PM
As a side note, technically if the disk is damaged beyond repair, you're allowed to download a copy of the game to replace it. However, depending on if companies are still (illegally) pursuing lawsuits over this, you may still end up in civil court over it. So do so at your own risk.

theres no real problem if its a game with a CD-key, such as online computer games often have them, to stop people from passing it around to their friends, but they cant do much if you have the CD-key to say "look, i own the game, it just doesnt work anymore, so let me play it again, i paid for it" but ive no idea what game it is, so i just thought id say incase this is a help in some way :smallredface:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2009-10-18, 07:27 PM
Most used game/music/movie stores (something like a CD Warehouse) and such will repair scratched discs for free. Take it to one of them, and if it's too scratched to fix, they'll let you know.

Jack Squat
2009-10-18, 07:30 PM
theres no real problem if its a game with a CD-key, such as online computer games often have them, to stop people from passing it around to their friends, but they cant do much if you have the CD-key to say "look, i own the game, it just doesnt work anymore, so let me play it again, i paid for it" but ive no idea what game it is, so i just thought id say incase this is a help in some way :smallredface:

Just because you're taken to court doesn't mean you'll lose. However, it's still a pain in the ass. Calling off work, hiring a lawyer, etc, all for a judge to take 5 minutes to say you're in the clear.

There's not a big chance of this happening, especially since it looks like companies aren't a sue-happy over "illegal"* downloading, but it is still a risk if he pursues this route, even if remote (and really back when it was big, the big thing was music downloading rather than game).

*While technically it's not illegal, as it's not a criminal case, My intention of adding the quotes wasn't to try and start a debate on the issue. I was merely saying that the companies don't have the capability to know whether or not the download was infringing on copyright laws or not. In this case, it wouldn't be.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-18, 07:39 PM
I actually have two versions of the game both of which are broken. one is the computer version and the other is the xbox version. It's Fable the lost chapters. I also know for a fact that the computer version won't work in my current laptop.

so Could I download this without being taken to court? Or is it a very bad idea? Also, I'm on Ubuntu and don't know how to write things to discs. on windows I just dragged and dropped. On this one I have to burn but every time I attempt it it says I have the wrong disc type in. I have the right disc type in. I know it for a fact but I can't get anything put on the discs. not even music although it's easy enough to take it off of discs.

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-18, 07:39 PM
You can try painting it over with a clear coat of acetone-based acrylic paint. Probably get the kind labelled "aqueous"(so-called "water-based", it's actually acetone heavily diluted with water) though. Also, gloss is probably better than flat.

Jack Squat
2009-10-18, 07:52 PM
Could I download this without being taken to court? Or is it a very bad idea? Also, I'm on Ubuntu and don't know how to write things to discs. on windows I just dragged and dropped. On this one I have to burn but every time I attempt it it says I have the wrong disc type in. I have the right disc type in. I know it for a fact but I can't get anything put on the discs. not even music although it's easy enough to take it off of discs.

You can download it, and there's a 99.999% chance that no lawsuit will be filed. There is a very remote chance it will happen (so remote I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it), and in that case, you'd be in the clear - there'd just be the hassle of actually showing up to court and saying "See, I've got a copy of it that I paid for" and you'll be sent on your way.

So, yes, you can download it instead of fixing the disc(s). The only thing you really will have to worry about is if you download a bad copy of the game.

As far as burning it with Ubuntu, I dunno. I haven't used Linux of any flavor for anything outside of my CS classes, and I used flash drives in there. Have you tried this (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-burn-a-cdsdvds-in-ubuntu-linux.html)? I haven't a clue how well it works, but it's the first thing that popped up on Google.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-18, 07:54 PM
well I backed up off the disc what I could. could I put it on a flash drive, insert it into my xbox 360 and play it off of that? I can put the video game data on a flash drive easy enough.

I'd check but I'm kind of watching a movie right now.

Jack Squat
2009-10-18, 08:00 PM
well I backed up off the disc what I could. could I put it on a flash drive, insert it into my xbox 360 and play it off of that? I can put the video game data on a flash drive easy enough.

If the one you backed up was the 360 version, maybe. Depends on how much and what you were able to get. I don't see a reason against giving it a shot, save maybe wasting some time.

DaedalusMkV
2009-10-18, 08:01 PM
Toothpaste. No, really. The silicon in most consumer toothpastes does an excellent job of fixing scratches in CDs. Just take the disc, gently rub toothpaste over the damaged sections for a few minutes, then let it sit for a few minutes. Finally, use tissue paper or something similar to remove the toothpaste without scratching up the disc. Unless the thing is basically cut in half, this should work. I've done it for discs damaged so badly that the drive failed to recognize they were CDs at all and had perfect success, and it's only failed once, for a scratch so deep you could actually bend the disc because of it.

If all else fails, download the game. Fable:TLC might be hard to find nowadays, but it should be possible.

Jack Squat
2009-10-18, 08:10 PM
Toothpaste. No, really. The silicon in most consumer toothpastes does an excellent job of fixing scratches in CDs. Just take the disc, gently rub toothpaste over the damaged sections for a few minutes, then let it sit for a few minutes. Finally, use tissue paper or something similar to remove the toothpaste without scratching up the disc. Unless the thing is basically cut in half, this should work. I've done it for discs damaged so badly that the drive failed to recognize they were CDs at all and had perfect success, and it's only failed once, for a scratch so deep you could actually bend the disc because of it.

When I did this on a ruined disc (a burnt one), I ended up covering it in even more scratches. Probably just didn't do it enough...I know this method works great for plastic watch glasses, and is a lot cheaper than the brass-polish method my grandpa showed me.

...another thing you could look at in this vein is brass/silver polish. The stuff smells, but is a finer grit than toothpaste.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-19, 01:15 AM
is there something like a Linux expert around here? I may need to occasionally PM them in the future if google does not give me the answers I require.

EDIT:disc writing still won't work.

Yarram
2009-10-19, 06:19 AM
I know we're assuming that you can DL it legally, but on fixing scratched disks:

Brasso: Brasso rubbed into the cd with a dry cloth, (Just an old sock will do) Then wiped off will fix any minor scratches, and some moderate to major ones. If 3 applications of Brasso doesn't fix it, take it to Video Easy/Civic Video, and they will repair the bottom for $5 in 20 minutes.
If video Easy doesn't fix it.... Noone can.

Mystic Muse
2009-10-19, 07:06 PM
I'll try Brasso next.

how long should I leave the toothpaste on? and if I don't have smooth tissue paper what should I use?

Jack Squat
2009-10-19, 07:12 PM
how long should I leave the toothpaste on? and if I don't have smooth tissue paper what should I use?

A fine-woven cloth would work. But you don't have soft toilet paper? Ouch :smalleek:

Mystic Muse
2009-10-19, 07:14 PM
A fine-woven cloth would work. But you don't have soft toilet paper? Ouch :smalleek:

not really. it's kinda rough but I'm not really bothered by it.

okay. it didn't work. am I not supposed to use a damp cloth to clean the toothpaste off?

Fostire
2009-10-19, 08:33 PM
is there something like a Linux expert around here? I may need to occasionally PM them in the future if google does not give me the answers I require.
Yes, there is. Lupy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=33609) seems to be knowledgeable in linux, and he even says in his signature to pm him about linux. There is also this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105212) from a while back that, although dead (don't post on it!), has some links in the first post which you might find useful.

Jack Squat
2009-10-19, 08:38 PM
okay. it didn't work. am I not supposed to use a damp cloth to clean the toothpaste off?

Well, when I do my watch glass, I always run it under the sink while rubbing with my finger. I'd probably use a little more than a "damp" cloth myself, but it would take it off. You probably didn't rub it in enough - I'd use brass or silver/nickel polish myself, as I'm not as worried about getting as rough with it, but try another coat and see if it improves.