PDA

View Full Version : What does "scratch and dent" mean?

deuxhero
2009-10-19, 06:30 PM
I see it mentioned in the link given in the news. Can't seem to locate what it means (I'm likely going to face palm at my own stupidity for missing it when I get the anwser, but I'm going to ask)

Alteran
2009-10-19, 06:33 PM
I believe it refers to a copy of a book that has some superficial damage, probably to the covers only. I don't know where the cut-off point is for selling damaged books, but I imagine that they're all in pretty good condition. These books should be (and almost certainly are) perfectly readable, but they're cheaper than normal books because they don't look as nice.

deuxhero
2009-10-19, 06:39 PM
*predicted facepalm* That makes sense.

Erloas
2009-10-19, 07:00 PM
As far as I'm aware it is primarily used for furniture. Its not that hard to scratch and scuff furniture when it is being moved or put together and people would complain if they still tried to sell it as new.

Trai
2009-10-19, 07:08 PM
I got my Origin of PCs copy a couple weeks ago through Scratch and Dent. It was in great condition; the top of the spine was a teensy bit wonky, but it wasn't terrible. Slightly damaged, but great condition otherwise :)

Arutema
2009-10-20, 02:43 AM
I've seen it applied to electronics as well. The casing has cosmetic damage, but the interior circuits are in perfect working order.

Trog
2009-10-20, 02:53 AM
>.>
<.<
*keys the thread*

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-20, 02:59 AM
>.>
<.<
*keys the thread**eyeballs scratch in thread*
Ah, man! We only had liability on this thread! Do you know how much chatter it's going to take to cover this up? Now we'll have to put it on the discount rack. :smallsigh: