PDA

View Full Version : The Jester {3.5} PEACH

-Baldur-
2009-10-21, 07:59 PM
Custom
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+1|+2|+2|Deck of Cards (3), Jester Ball (2 bounces, 10ft)

2nd|+1|+1|+3|+3|Oldimarras Mace, King of Diamonds

3rd|+2|+2|+3|+3|Aspect of the Joker, Jester Ball (3 Bounces. 15ft)

4th|+3|+2|+4|+4|Deck of Cards (5), Play to the crowd

5th|+3|+3|+4|+4|King of Hearts, Jester Ball (4 Bounces, 20ft)

6th|+4|+3|+5|+5|Roll the Dice, Aspect of the Joker

7th|+5|+3|+5|+5|Deck of Cards (7), Jester Ball (5 Bounces, 25ft)

8th|+6/+1|+4|+6|+6|King of Spades, Oldimarras Spinning Grace

9th|+6/+1|+4|+6|+6|Jesters Bells, Deck of Cards (9)

10th|+7/+2|+5|+7|+7|Jack in the Box, Aspect of the Joker

11th|+8/+3|+5|+7|+7|Play to the children, Little shop of horrors

12th|+9/+4|+6|+8|+8|Freakshow Minions, Deck of Cards (11)

13th|+9/+4|+6|+8|+8|King of Clubs, Mime Show

14th|+10/+5|+6|+9|+9|Greater Mime Show, Ring Masters Control

15th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+9|+9|Enter the Big Top, Deck of Cards (13)

16th|+12/+7/+2|+7|+10|+10|Wheel of Fate, Bag of Dice (3)

17th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+10|+10|Wheel of Fortune, Curse of the Circuis

18th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+11|+11|Oldimarras Embrace, Bag of Dice (4)

19th|+14/+9/+4|+8|+11|+11|Oldimarras Shield, Jesters Ball (6 bounces, 40ft)

20th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+12|+12|Final Curtain, Storm of Limbo, Jovial Jaunt

[/table]
Alignment: Any Chaotic
Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
Class Skills
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

-Baldur-
2009-10-21, 08:00 PM
The Deck of Cards is the Jesters array of special tricks, unique to the jester. These Tricks must all be played in one day. Due to the nature of the Jester, if the tricks have not been used come time to sleep, the Jester must expend every card he has remaining, even if this is all 13, and even if it is a volatile or damaging card. All cards reappear in the deck the next morning. All cards are once a day, upon being used, the card disappears.

Level 1-3

The grinning doorway- The Jester draws this card, and throws it at another individual, the target must be humanoid, and not more than two size categories larger than the jester. The individual is then immediately transported to the Jesters location, and vice versa. There is no saving throw for the individual.

The ball and cups- When the Jester draws this card he then throws it on the ground, three large hollow cylindrical shapes fall from the ceiling, the cups are ethereal but visible, and may be walked through. Whenever a spell like ability, spell, or spell effect (via trap or other method) is released within 40ft of the card the effect is suppressed for 1D4 rounds, then released as per normal and in the direction or area that the spell was targetted towards. The card disappears when three spell effects have been captured and released, or when 1 hour/level elapses.

The multi faceted mirror- When the Jester draws this card, he throws it into the air. The card spins in a circle around the Jester until a spell effect with a target occurs, the spell must pass within 15ft of the Jester. This card can not affect Area effect spells. The spell is then absorbed, and 1d3 rounds later, the spell is fired out from the card, striking each enemy of the Jester, and the caster, as if the spell had been cast multiple times. The caster may be struck even if he is more than 15ft away.

Levels 4-6

The Gambler The Jester draws this card and throws it to the ground, where it rests until someone, anyone, passes within 5ft of it. The jester may throw it up to 20ft, it will adhere to any surface, is undetectable by magic, and requires a DC25 spot check to notice. The results thereafter are random.

Roll a D10.

On a 1-2, a wall is created, exactly fitting the specifications of a dungeon hallway or, if outside, measuring 25ft long, 25 ft high, and 2 foot thick of concrete.

On a 3-4, three random monsters are summoned (as per the spell Summon Monster (level appropriate)), and will attack the closest individuals to the card.

On a 4-5, the card dissipates, reappears in 1D4 rounds, and a new effect takes place. Roll again

On a 6-7, one exact replica of the Jester is summoned, with all abilities, spell like abilities, class features and hit points of the first. This Jester remains for 1D6 rounds, and is under complete control of the first. The Jester does not, however, have the Deck of Cards used by the first.

On a 8-9, The Jesters party members are each struck by a magic missile spell as if cast by a 15th level Wizard.

On a 10, the card spins into the air, and releases a globe of water. This water spans an area of 30 square feet. Each individual caught in the blast is healed as if under the effects of a "Heal" spell, each evil aligned creature is struck by the "Harm" spell, unless a fortitude save is made.

The Game Board

Upon drawing this card, the user throws it into the air. An area covering 50 square feet, centered on the card is then transformed into the likeness of a chess board. All individuals caught in the chess board are instantly changed to their own likeness of a Chess Piece. This does not destroy equipment, change status effects or anything similar. The effect lasts for three rounds. In this time, everyone is frozen to their appropriate square, even the Jester. Anyone outside the board may not enter, and anyone inside may not exit. All time effects (duration of spells, buffs, curses) still elapse, however without any effect to the individual. The Jester has control of all pieces. And may move any piece on the board, including enemies, 5 ft per round to a total of 15ft. The Jester may, if he chooses, force pieces off the board, where they resume normal control, movement and abilities, however are unable to affect anyone on the board. The Jester is stuck like everyone else, however has a move rate of 10ft per round.

Note: Higher levels to come, thinking of more ideas, what do we think of these to date? Too powerful? I feel wizards get the big sticks when it comes to magic, so an even bigger stick is needed to counter. The jesters bag of tricks is basically the answer to that. There will be more, centered not only around combat nullification, but boosting allies and little tricks and games that aid the party.

-Baldur-
2009-10-21, 08:05 PM
Needed to get down the basics. Basically, the class will be based any player looking to play someone insane. The class focuses on avoiding magic and shutting down magic users. However the jesters ball (used for avoiding magic) is also useful for avoiding normal attacks as well. Just as well, as the class has proficiency in only light armour. Even then a helmet and shield (except Oldimarras shield) cannot be worn.

The Cards will be "Magic Tricks". I am considering a partial random aspect to them, but am sure this would annoy players more than please them.

The bag of dice will be used to add damage to their, or their allies attacks/defenses. The Wheel of Fortune aids in rolls as well, the Wheel of Fate hinders the enemy. I'm considering percentile dice.

The aspects will affect both party members and enemies.

The later abilities (Enter the big top, jovial jaunt) are focused on shutting down enemy spell casters/harder hitters....

So what do we think so far, while I'm busy editing the Fluff and the abilities?

Any interest?

InfiniteNothing
2009-10-22, 05:51 PM
Hmm... I wouldn't mind seeing how this turns out. It certainly has my interest so far, at least in concept.

-Baldur-
2009-10-22, 07:06 PM
Ah good! Interest. In that case I shall most definitely proceed with fleshing out the class. Was worried no one found it at all entertaining.

Keep an eye out. Updates within the next 5 days.

Teutonic Knight
2009-10-22, 08:28 PM
How interesting. Is insanity a feature or a roleplaying thing? And I'm anxious to know how this class shuts down spellcasters.

Please continue.

-Baldur-
2009-10-22, 09:47 PM
How interesting. Is insanity a feature or a roleplaying thing? And I'm anxious to know how this class shuts down spellcasters.

Please continue.

:-) I'm thinking it might be more of a roleplay aspect. I'm wondering how I would work the mechanics of an insane class, and it seems like an overtly complicated process that may really only serve to annoy the party.

A lot of his abilities focus on lowering the damage dice of spell casters, making them lose saves, getting the jester close to the spellcaster for some nastiness etc etc. The big top class feature is also a biggie on anti spellcaster-ness. ;-)

Athaniar
2009-10-23, 05:10 AM
The Madness domain gives insanity as a granted power:

The character gains an Insanity score equal to half his or her class level. For spellcasting (determining bonus spells and DCs), the character uses his or her Wisdom score plus his or her Insanity score in place of Wisdom alone.

For all other purposes, such as skills and saves, use Wisdom minus Insanity in place of Wisdom.

Once per day, the character can see and act with the clarity of true madness. Use the character’s Insanity score as a positive rather than a negative modifier on a single roll involving Wisdom. Choose to use this power before the roll is made.

Of course, it's intended for spellcasters, but it could serve as a base.

-Baldur-
2009-10-24, 03:30 AM
The Madness domain gives insanity as a granted power:

Of course, it's intended for spellcasters, but it could serve as a base.

That.....was an incredibly excellent idea. I think I may just nab that one and add to the class. It would add to the flavour tremendously!

Thanks Lord!