PDA

View Full Version : What do you get the 4 year old who has everything?

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-23, 06:11 PM
My nephew turned 4 this week, and his party is tomorrow. The problem is I haven't gotten him a gift yet, and I'm drawing a blank.

Normally he'd be the easiest person in the world to shop for. His interests are pretty typical cars and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The major problem is that he has tons of toys of every imaginable kind, and I don't think that another car or action figure will really add anything. The other problem, is being a malnourished college student, I don't have allot of money for a gift either. I could just give him cash but I'd feel weird giving money to a 4 year old.

Last year I got him a pack of white t-shirts and fabric markers so he could make his own t-shirts like his favorite uncle. I kinda want to give him another cool/thoughtful/cheap gift but I can't think of one.

So, fellow playgrounders, do you have any ideas?

Dallas-Dakota
2009-10-23, 06:14 PM
Candy .

V: nah, but I resisted.

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-23, 06:23 PM
am i the only person who read the thread title and immediately thought of about 6 different punch lines to the same terrible joke?

Eon
2009-10-23, 06:25 PM
mess with his head, get him a dictionary.

MethosH
2009-10-23, 06:26 PM
am i the only person who read the thread title and immediately thought of about 6 different punch lines to the same terrible joke?

No. And that is funny and sad at the same time.

Back to the topic... How about a D&D book? Oh.. wait.. 4 years old... let me think...

thubby
2009-10-23, 06:26 PM
is 4 too young for k'nex? those things are awesome.

xyzzy
2009-10-23, 06:29 PM

Or Lego. There's not a person in the world who doesn't love Lego. Maybe the large ones based on his age.

Fostire
2009-10-23, 06:32 PM
Or Lego. There's not a person in the world who doesn't love Lego. Maybe the large ones based on his age.

I second this.
LEGO=Awesome

RandomNPC
2009-10-23, 06:35 PM
my kiddo's three and i asked for k'nex for him. because we will both play for weeks at a time (if we have that much time) with those things.

Moff Chumley
2009-10-23, 06:38 PM
A BOOT TO THE HEAD!

What you mean, that meme isn't funny anymore?

Thajocoth
2009-10-23, 06:45 PM

Duplos, those are. Unless you mean the HUGE ones...

You said he's got lots of cars though, right? I'd recommend those green interlockable toy road blocks... But I can't remember what they were called!

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-23, 06:50 PM
Candy .

Or I could do both! (http://www.typetive.com/candyblog/item/candy_blox/) Four is old enough not to have him accidentally choke on a real lego right?

raitalin
2009-10-23, 07:05 PM
Kid's books? I always encourage buying kids books, and they are extremely affordable at your local used book store.

thubby
2009-10-23, 07:05 PM

well there's at least one *dodges tomatoes*

Or I could do both! (http://www.typetive.com/candyblog/item/candy_blox/) Four is old enough not to have him accidentally choke on a real lego right?
I'd ask his parents

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-23, 07:26 PM
I second (well, third/fifth/seventh/whatever it is) Lego. The absolute must have toy for any kid who has any imagination :smallsmile: Just don't get the market-hype Star Wars/Harry Potter ones or the like, they suck unless you want them for the Harry Potter and not the Legos.

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-23, 07:34 PM
crayons and paper and tokens for time with his favourite uncle

edit: and anyone who gives their kids harry potter and not narnia, the hobbit, charles dickens books, or any other literary classics of REAL worth should be reported to child services

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-23, 07:35 PM
A nuclear submarine.

...what? It's what I wanted at that age. >.>

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-23, 07:42 PM
edit: and anyone who gives their kids harry potter and not narnia, the hobbit, charles dickens books, or any other literary classics of REAL worth should be reported to child services
Uhm, why not? A child is more likely to enjoy Harry Potter than something written in archaic language to the point it's hard to understand for adults in the modern days. Not only is that the whole point of giving them books, but also if they enjoyed what they've read, they're more likely to like reading in general and seek out other books.

littlequietguy
2009-10-23, 08:09 PM

Those don't taste that good. I still get them just for the practical everyday use.

Coidzor
2009-10-23, 08:13 PM
10 reasons why you should be scared of turning 10. *nod nod*

Closet_Skeleton
2009-10-23, 08:21 PM
Uhm, why not? A child is more likely to enjoy Harry Potter than something written in archaic language to the point it's hard to understand for adults in the modern days.

I like Harry Potter, but think Narnia and the Hobbit are closer to his age range.

I can't remember being four. Actually, the only memories I can remember how old I was when they happened are associated with birthdays, so I might remember being four.

WalkingTarget
2009-10-23, 08:25 PM
At 4? Dr. Seuss if they don't already have them. Stuff like Green Eggs and Ham and One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish are the earliest books I can remember, at about 4 years old.

I'm in a similar pickle. My nephew turned one yesterday...

xPANCAKEx
2009-10-23, 08:40 PM
Uhm, why not? A child is more likely to enjoy Harry Potter than something written in archaic language to the point it's hard to understand for adults in the modern days. Not only is that the whole point of giving them books, but also if they enjoyed what they've read, they're more likely to like reading in general and seek out other books.

people should push themselves - harry potter is just rehashed from every other major fantasy work... its so chocked full of cliches its unbearably dull

give him something REAL to read. Would you rather read original works, or works that were flash in the pan and over hyped.

If you want to read something with more accessible language, read the discworld series. At least then all the rehashed cliches are ironic

Coidzor
2009-10-23, 08:44 PM
Well, he doesn't have to be capable of reading it now. Is he capable of reading it now?

Hmm. Do you still have any of your childhood books lying around? If so he might be ready for those.

hmm...

A set of paperweights and a bag of tube socks is always popular.

Fostire
2009-10-23, 08:48 PM
At 4? Dr. Seuss if they don't already have them. Stuff like Green Eggs and Ham and One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish are the earliest books I can remember, at about 4 years old.

I'm in a similar pickle. My nephew turned one yesterday...

one? give him something that will last and that he might appreciate when he's older. For example I still have a stuffed animal I was gifted when I was born.

BizzaroStormy
2009-10-23, 08:56 PM
does he have siblings? if so, get him boxing gloves.

LordZarth
2009-10-23, 08:56 PM
Duplo. You MUST get him Duplo. I played with Duplo for years and years. Kids never even need to graduate to Lego.

He'll love Duplo not only because it's easier to build things and that they end up bigger, but also because he can play using other stuff with it. A Duplo house is big enough to use Playmobil with, for instance. Honestly. Best toy ever. He'll build and build. Great for creativity.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-10-23, 08:58 PM
A drum set. A horn. A set of cymbals.

He'll love them, and you won't have to buy a gift next year, because mom won't ever invite you again! Win-Win! :smallbiggrin:

Nah, but I really liked your t-shirt and markers idea! Maybe take a drawing he has done for you and use a transfer to put it on matching t-shirts... I've seen that somewhere. You scan the image, and it goes on an iron-on transfer.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-23, 08:58 PM
people should push themselves - harry potter is just rehashed from every other major fantasy work... its so chocked full of cliches its unbearably dull

give him something REAL to read. Would you rather read original works, or works that were flash in the pan and over hyped.

If you want to read something with more accessible language, read the discworld series. At least then all the rehashed cliches are ironic
I would like to point out the kid is four. Also, no one should ever push themselves when reading. That's the fastest way to make yourself hate each and every book out there. Discworld - don't know, haven't read, but.. Narnia and the like are nowhere near that age range if only for the simple reason that no-one talks like that anymore. At 7 or so, maybe, if the kid is smart. But at 4-5? No.

I can't remember being four. Actually, the only memories I can remember how old I was when they happened are associated with birthdays, so I might remember being four.
For me, ironically, most memories I have of that age range are associated with Legos..

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-23, 09:15 PM
You know what books I liked when I was young? The Oz books. More than Narnia, MUCH more than anything by Tolkien.
But at age 4, Dr. Seuss.
Legos. Legos are fantastic.

FoE
2009-10-23, 09:16 PM
How about a Black Mercy blossom?

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/c/ce/Black_Mercy_DCAU.jpg

Hadessniper
2009-10-23, 09:28 PM
If he has someone who reads to him I would recommend just about anything by Roald Dahl.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-23, 09:29 PM
If he has someone who reads to him I would recommend just about anything by Roald Dahl.
Plus one :smile:

quicker_comment
2009-10-23, 10:10 PM
Another plus one for Roald Dahl! Matilda and The Witches were probably the ones I was most fond of when I was about that age.

And:

Also, no one should ever push themselves when reading. That's the fastest way to make yourself hate each and every book out there.
This is a great point that I've never seen stated so simply before. I like reading the classics now (mostly the Russians), when I'm in the mood for something like that, but I've never ever had a pleasant time forcing myself to read fiction.

For a kid who enjoys reading, exploration of various works of varying complexity will come naturally. Trying to force it on someone can only be destructive.

Tirian
2009-10-23, 10:13 PM
Minus one. Dahl's wickedness is appealing to children, but his sense of the sort of people in need of poetic justice misses the mark. And he's not a good writer to boot. There are folks out there who are the whole package.

If you want to go with books, then I think that this one (http://www.amazon.com/20th-Century-Childrens-Book-Treasury-Picture/dp/0679886478/ref=sid_dp_dp) rocks in stereo. Seriously, it's got forty-four amazingly classic stories in there, and they will cherish it for life (as will any adult that comes in contact with it). I assume you can find a used copy that isn't too badly marked up, but it's really nice enough to be worth going without pizza for a few weeks.

Legos are also, of course, awesome. From my quick research, the standard ones are ages 4+. I'd say that it would be awesome to one of the generic boxes and then a collection of wheels so that he can make his own cars. Maybe it'd be more affordable if you gave half of it now and the other half at Christmas?

Berserk Monk
2009-10-23, 10:24 PM
How about a Black Mercy blossom?

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/c/ce/Black_Mercy_DCAU.jpg

Isn't that the thing that causes you to hallucinate the thing you most want (my knowledge of comics is pretty much limited to OotS and Watchmen)?

Also, this is why I'm glad I became an artist. I can just create something that passes for a high quality craft. I can spend less than ten bucks and create something that looks like it costs five times that amount.

Anuan
2009-10-24, 02:25 AM
Dahl is decent. I'm also voting for Lego, as they're amazing.
Also, Transformers.

FoE
2009-10-24, 02:29 AM
Isn't that the thing that causes you to hallucinate the thing you most want (my knowledge of comics is pretty much limited to OotS and Watchmen)?

Yes. Watch Justice League. it's awesome.

Also, this is why I'm glad I became an artist. I can just create something that passes for a high quality craft. I can spend less than ten bucks and create something that looks like it costs five times that amount.

You became an artist so you can cheap out on birthday gifts? :smalltongue:

Lord of Syntax
2009-10-24, 03:37 AM
A jar of pickles

daggaz
2009-10-24, 03:52 AM
He's four. Dont get him anything. He will get more than he ever needs from his parents, and he wont remember a damn thing about it either, years later.

Give him a hug. Tell him happy birthday.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-10-24, 06:42 AM
Stuffed animal. Make sure to test (http://koiwai.biz/eng/v8/ch57/57_19_jpg.htm) it (http://koiwai.biz/eng/v8/ch57/57_20_jpg.htm) first, though.

Winter_Wolf
2009-10-24, 08:18 AM
Yes. Watch Justice League. it's awesome.

Hey don't knock it. I was big into art when I was in high school, people were constantly pestering me for stuff. Easy (from my point of view at least) way to gather a bit of goodwill and make people happy without really putting myself out.

But as for the kid, seriously, get him bubble wrap. The big bubbles, not the small ones. Given the average life expectancy of toys for kids that age, the bubble wrap will last just as long and probably be at least as much fun (*pop* *popop*) as anything else he's got or will get. Heck I still like popping bubble wrap and I'm several times older than 4.

UnChosenOne
2009-10-24, 08:58 AM
I second bubble warp idea. There is nothing funnier than popping bubble warp.

alchemyprime
2009-10-24, 10:52 AM
Now, I know its already the day of, but one thing I know I liked when I was four was this:

My uncle bought me chapter books. But, since they (my uncle and grandparents) knew I wasn't up for it yet, they would read me the book, and then after a while let me read the first page of the chapter, then the second page, then they'd keep reading from there.

Wait a minute... they always read me Goosebumps... I think I finally understand where my constant nightmares as a child came from...

Alternatively, if he likes TMNT, see if you can get him a comic of it. Or maybe something from the Marvel Adventures line. 3.99 is a fine price, man. :smallwink:

Berserk Monk
2009-10-24, 03:53 PM

Considering I loved drawing and crafts since I was four, no, but the fact I can craft gifts with this talent is a hidden benefit. Also, I would by no means call giving someone a chainmail wristband that can deflect knife attacks "cheap(ing) out."

BatRobin
2009-10-24, 04:11 PM
I second bubble warp idea. There is nothing funnier than popping bubble warp.

It's Bubble Wrap.

Xyk
2009-10-24, 04:27 PM

K'nex are superior to LEGOs. Maybe not in small amounts, though. They are also extremely useful to a developing mind like your 4-year-old. My siblings and I used to build things you wouldn't even imagine. Things like 6 foot high fortresses that actually could withstand being dropped off the roof if we so chose or more likely, the bombardment of the catapults we built beside them.

Combine K'nex with rubber bands and you have even more options that are more projectile based.

Thatguyoverther
2009-10-24, 05:15 PM
Update!

I ended up getting him a children's book and candy. I got him a Seuss book and Swedish fish. You know, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish... Also Red Fish.

He liked it, but I think he was kind of distracted by the fact that he got three remote control cars. 0.o

Next year though, Black Mercy blossoms and boots to the head.

xyzzy
2009-10-24, 05:27 PM
Swedish fish.

The best things ever. Good job, sir.