View Full Version : NaNoWriMo Name Bank

cycoris
2009-10-25, 01:26 PM
It's almost noveling time, and some of us have a hard time with names. If you

a) have a favourite name you'd like to suggest
b) wouldn't mind someone using your username
c) have a pretty generator you'd like to link to

then please tell us!

So, to kick the thread off, feel free to use my username and derivatives thereof in your novel.

Linkies:

Behind the Name's generator (http://www.behindthename.com/random/) (lots and lots of names, and you can have it give you names from a certain culture, time period, theme &c. )

What a Lovely Name (http://www.whatalovelyname.com/) (view names by culture, mood, celebrity or by fantasy world)

P.S. If you post a link, please have the link text be the site name or a short description, so that I don't have to manually go through and change all the 'Link 1's and 'this's when I index. Thank you!

Also, it would be nice to PM a user if you use their username.:smallsmile:

cycoris
2009-10-25, 01:27 PM
Forumites that have consented to having their username stuck in a novel:

Alteran
arguskos
Blayze
cycoris (Rissy)
Dewey
Felixaar (Felix)
Fostire
Il'deav Ilah'naie
Jalor
Lioness
loopy
Recaiden
Stormthorn
Strawman
Trai
Weimann
Xallace

Name generators:

Behind the Name's generator (http://www.behindthename.com/random/)
What a Lovely Name (http://www.whatalovelyname.com/)
Squid.org's RPG generator (http://www.squid.org/rpg-random-generator)
Seventh Sanctum's (http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=realmnamer)
Heather's List of Unusual Names (http://www.angelfire.com/id2/heathersnamepage/)
Rinkworks Fantasy Name Generator (www.rinkworks.com/namegen/)
Serendipity Place Name Generator (http://nine.frenchboys.net/country.php)

Random names (for those characters you don't care about that much--just close your eyes and point):

Rick Shaw
Lance Knight
Mr Ian Woon and other shiny anagrams of 'NaNoWriMo' (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3272860)
Bloodydoves
Hextoler Alier Abakaar (if you use this, I'd like to know how)
Ostian and Althiran
Othirax
Theron Hubrecht
Alethia
Lyric
Ember
Zaven
Saba
Ivan Lambert
Talya Aino
Tulin Chanus
Misha Yegor
Rinaldo Mehlan
Hamil
Mirko
Veit
Dragen
Celp
Gharer
Copper
Belthi
Strik
Owen
Clash Jericho
Samuel (or Samantha) Washington Democrassi
Harvester
Mortimer Ezekiel Black
Malti
Jeremy Cross
Captain Capoeira Thunderbolt III
Evil King Stanley Hihat Trinidad XIV
Mackrawheel Glorious
Chloe
Joy
Lucy
Lilian
Katie
Ingrid
Haley
Christabel
Brooke
Jude
Nathaniel
Adam
Zackary
Dean
Tulin Chanus
Eamon
Fox
Alvixa

Alteran
2009-10-25, 01:39 PM
This is an excellent idea! I'm terrible with names, so I have a feeling I'll be looking around here a lot. >.>

Anybody is free to use my username, but I don't think it's particularly good for a name that's going to be read a lot. It feels weird when I say it out loud or subvocalize it.

Since I am, as mentioned, terrible with names, I don't have any to give away here. If I did think of a good name by myself I'd probably keep it close, like a possessive raven who's happened upon a shiny trinket. It's not exactly a common occurrence. However, I've had some luck with this generator (http://www.squid.org/rpg-random-generator). I've also had a lot of hilarious results from Seventh Sanctum generators like this one (http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=realmnamer). I'd never recommend it seriously, but it's a lot of fun to play around with. My two favourite results are "True Disappointment Kingdom" and "Mighty Empire of the Righteous Lightnings".

Moofin Bard
2009-10-25, 01:46 PM
I'd suggest this (http://www.angelfire.com/id2/heathersnamepage/) site if you're looking for interesting, not overly done names.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-25, 03:08 PM
Anyone who can get away with using my username is welcome to, but this is not a requirement, so don't force it in any old how.

I would post my usual name generator, but the workings of my twisted brain don't have a web address.

Some names that I am likely to be using (but which you may also use):

Rick Shaw (bonus points if he has a nickname involving traffic of some sort).
Lance Knight
plenty of others, I can post more in the same vein on request.

Dogmantra
2009-10-25, 03:47 PM
For fantasy, at least, I really recommend the Rinkworks Fantasy Name Generator (www.rinkworks.com/namegen/). You can even make your own templates, for if you have set rules about names.

I also have a request for someone! I'm really unsure of a name. I have them for all my other characters (or at least major characters), but this one. She's the main character's older sister. Said main character's name is Ezekiel, and I can't seem to come up with a name that fits. Trawling baby name sites doesn't seem to help either, and I'd love suggestions.

cycoris
2009-10-25, 04:08 PM
For fantasy, at least, I really recommend the Rinkworks Fantasy Name Generator (www.rinkworks.com/namegen/). You can even make your own templates, for if you have set rules about names.

I also have a request for someone! I'm really unsure of a name. I have them for all my other characters (or at least major characters), but this one. She's the main character's older sister. Said main character's name is Ezekiel, and I can't seem to come up with a name that fits. Trawling baby name sites doesn't seem to help either, and I'd love suggestions.

Are you going for another biblical name? If so, here's a list (http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/bibl_f.php).

The first name that popped in my head though was 'Lucia'.

Dragonrider
2009-10-25, 04:25 PM
Are you going for another biblical name? If so, here's a list (http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/bibl_f.php).

One of my good friends at school is named Lucia. :smallbiggrin: And it IS a saint name....

Edit: "Drusilla" is on that list. :smalleek: :smallamused:

arguskos
2009-10-25, 04:47 PM
You already hit my favorite name generator (Behind the Name), so I'll just add that you can use any of the following names (several characters of mine) if you wish:

-arguskos
-bloodydoves
-Hextoler Alier Abakaar (if you use this, I'd like to know how)
-Ostian and Althiran
-Othirax
-Theron Hubrecht

These are just what I can recall atm. If you like them, feel free. :smallredface:

EDIT: Also, I see you don't have the Serendipity Place Name Generator (http://nine.frenchboys.net/country.php). :smallwink:

Dogmantra
2009-10-25, 04:48 PM

That fits really well. I was thinking of an L, actually. Not neccessarily a Biblical name, but it's better if it is, now I come to think of it.

Dragonrider
2009-10-25, 05:09 PM
-Hextoler Alier Abakaar (if you use this, I'd like to know how)

I like this one. :smalltongue:

I'll share a couple I know I won't be using...

Alethia
Lyric
Ember
Zaven
Saba

/random

arguskos
2009-10-25, 05:11 PM
I like this one. :smalltongue:
:smallredface: Thanks. He's my favorite character. Hell, my first avvy here was of him... this one, in fact:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u250/bloodydoves/tharguskos.png

EDIT: Moar names!
-Ivan Lambert
-Talya Aino
-Tulin Chanus
-Misha Yegor
-Rinaldo Mehlan
-Hamil
-Mirko
-Veit
-Dragen

Lioness
2009-10-25, 06:15 PM
You can use my username...but you might want to save it for animals...probably female lions ^_^

That aside, I usually take English names that sound vaguely similar to how I want them to sound, then I play around with them to make them look/sound more fantasy-ish.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-25, 06:55 PM
That fits really well. I was thinking of an L, actually. Not neccessarily a Biblical name, but it's better if it is, now I come to think of it.

If you're not sure on Lucia, Leah is biblical, as are Lois and Lydia.

Fostire
2009-10-25, 06:59 PM
Feel free to use my username. And let me know if you do.

Also a method a friend used to generate fantasy-ish names was to just point to 2-3 random objects and mix their names. It produced some good names.

Jalor
2009-10-25, 07:02 PM
Please do use my username. I want it on as many unique pages as possible so any blog or archive I create will show up on more Google searches.

Actually, I'll make an offer. Anyone to name a major character after me will be credited as the "executive producer"*.
*Actual correct usage. Executive producer is a title that specifically has no meaning and can be given to anyone, regardless of their role in the media.

Alteran
2009-10-25, 07:21 PM
Please do use my username. I want it on as many unique pages as possible so any blog or archive I create will show up on more Google searches.

Actually, I'll make an offer. Anyone to name a major character after me will be credited as the "executive producer"*.
*Actual correct usage. Executive producer is a title that specifically has no meaning and can be given to anyone, regardless of their role in the media.

The executive producer of what? Where would we be credited?

(I like the sound of your name, I might use it even with the meaningless reward. :smalltongue:)

Strawman
2009-10-25, 08:06 PM
Feel free to use my username. Also:

Celp,
Gharer,
Copper,
Belthi,
and Strik.

loopy
2009-10-26, 04:21 PM
Feel free to use my user name, or my real name. (Owen) :smallsmile:

Look forward to reading your work! If you base a character on me, please let me know so I can squee. :smallbiggrin:

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-26, 04:38 PM
Feel free to use my user name, or my real name. (Owen) :smallsmile:

Look forward to reading your work! If you base a character on me, please let me know so I can squee. :smallbiggrin:

I remember your volunteering to have your name used earlier, and I'm considering it... Do you have any objection to being posthumously decorated? with bright pink wallpaper

loopy
2009-10-26, 07:30 PM
I remember your volunteering to have your name used earlier, and I'm considering it... Do you have any objection to being posthumously decorated? with bright pink wallpaper

None at all, I'm quite happy to be a redshirt if required. :smallsmile:

Jalor
2009-10-26, 08:04 PM
The executive producer of what? Where would we be credited?
The novel. I'm going to have an acknowledgments page, mostly to thank friends who contributed ideas; you'd be credited there.

Xallace
2009-10-26, 08:25 PM
Sure, if my username interests anyone, you can use it. I'm not sure who else you've named that "Xallace" would fit in, though.

So, some of my favorite names:

Clash Jericho
Samuel (or Samantha) Washington Democrassi
Harvester (I just think it's good first name for a boy)
Mortimer Ezekiel Black (my favorite necromancer)
Malti (means "flower." Nice gals' name.)
Jeremy Cross (sounds oddly villainous for a "Jeremy," don't you think?)
Captain Capoeira Thunderbolt III (for a cat)
Evil King Stanley Hihat Trinidad XIV (it's from a video game, but I love it so)

Stormthorn
2009-10-26, 08:49 PM
I suggest you all use the name Mackrawheel Glorious into your novels.

Or Stormthorn. Im vain enough to want my name in a piece of writing.

Trai
2009-10-26, 09:02 PM
If anyone wants to use my username (it's my nickname; my real name is Tracy), feel free. I haven't seen anyone else use it as a nickname for Tracy, so I like to think I'm unique :smallbiggrin: Also, I'm renaming the character who went by my name in my story to something different, so it wouldn't be showing up in my NaNo novel.

As for names, I have a bunch of them I like and reserve for future children.

Girls: Chloe, Joy, Lucy, Lilian, Katie, Ingrid, Haley, Christabel, Brooke

* Christabel itself is stolen from another work of literature (Possession by A.S. Byatt), but whatever. :smallsmile:

Boys: Jude, Nathaniel (Nate), Adam, Zackary, Dean...

I've briefly considered naming a child Fox after The X-Files. :smallwink: My mom used to make fun of me because pretty much every name I like for a boy is from the Bible. Odd because I'm not religious.

EDIT: Oh, and because I've gotten the question a couple times on how to pronounce my nickname/username in the first place, it's pronounced just like "Tray".

Blayze
2009-10-27, 07:48 AM
By all means, please use my name in your novel if you want, anybody. I much prefer rampant misuse of the letter 'y' to certain punctuation marks being misused instead.

Felixaar
2009-10-28, 05:32 AM
Hmm. I bet I could fit a Hextoler in somewhere.

I don't have any particular objection to people including a character named Felix in their novels - I'd be a little late if I did, wouldn't I? - and certainly not if that character resembles me. It is, of course, up to you though, but I would like to be notified so I can peruse the finished product.

Anyone who feels like being a redshirt can join my army. You won't be named, but you'll have been there dying horribly in feeling.

Blayze
2009-10-28, 07:24 AM
Wouldn't the Redshirts' lack of importance be much more profound if you name them, build them up, make your audience associate with them -- and *then* slaughter them mercilessly?

That said, sign me up for unimportance.

Moofin Bard
2009-10-28, 09:36 AM
Ooooooh I want to be signed up for unimportance. I can be the unnamed little girl who sells muffins and sings in the market or something. It would be awesome.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-28, 09:43 AM
I can do redshirt things... Just as long as I get to kill something (no matter how unimportant) before ignominiously dying, I can do this for you.

Felixaar
2009-10-29, 01:10 AM
Wouldn't the Redshirts' lack of importance be much more profound if you name them, build them up, make your audience associate with them -- and *then* slaughter them mercilessly?

That said, sign me up for unimportance.

This is what I do with all my characters.

Hmm, on a second thought - if you'd like to be a randomly dieing unnamed character, post a single physical characteristic about yourself. Otherwise you won't know which one you are in the book. Make it something simple but fairly unique - not like, "I have dark hair."

arguskos
2009-10-29, 01:17 AM
This is what I do with all my characters.

Hmm, on a second thought - if you'd like to be a randomly dieing unnamed character, post a single physical characteristic about yourself. Otherwise you won't know which one you are in the book. Make it something simple but fairly unique - not like, "I have dark hair."
I would post something for my character, but I'd prefer Hextoler Alier Abakaar be used in a "I'm not a redshirt" way. :smalltongue:

If you'd LIKE another redshirt, then use Tulin Chanus (who was basically a redshirt anyways). He had a crescent shaped scar on the left side of his face, from the temple past the front of the ear down to the chin.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-29, 04:50 AM
Well, for something distinguishing, my redshirt would have a moustache and a tendency to tell really awful puns.

Hope that helps.

Blayze
2009-10-29, 07:46 AM

Er... always coughing, sneezing and farting. That enough for ya? :P

Alteran
2009-10-29, 05:34 PM
Mercenary Pen, I have an (I think) awesome idea for a character with your name. I have no idea if he'll actually be like you, though. I'm certain I don't know you well enough to write you, but I suppose my Mercenary Pen might have some similarities to the real one.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-29, 07:08 PM
Mercenary Pen, I have an (I think) awesome idea for a character with your name. I have no idea if he'll actually be like you, though. I'm certain I don't know you well enough to write you, but I suppose my Mercenary Pen might have some similarities to the real one.

Go right ahead, I shall prepare for the laugh of my existence should you get anything wrong...

Just kidding, only if it's really horribly off track.

Alteran
2009-10-29, 07:16 PM
Go right ahead, I shall prepare for the laugh of my existence should you get anything wrong...

Just kidding, only if it's really horribly off track.

Well, I'm not even going to attempt to make him like you. He's not a character based around you, he's a character featuring your name.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-29, 07:32 PM
Well, I'm not even going to attempt to make him like you. He's not a character based around you, he's a character featuring your name.

It's alright, I was only kidding in any case.

Alteran
2009-10-29, 07:35 PM
It's alright, I was only kidding in any case.

I figured you were kidding, but I wanted you to know what to expect. I suppose I could be even more clear, though.

What to expect: a mercenary with an affinity for literature.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-29, 07:49 PM
I figured you were kidding, but I wanted you to know what to expect. I suppose I could be even more clear, though.

What to expect: a mercenary with an affinity for literature.

I assume my monicker is being used more as a nickname or an alias than anything else...

Alteran
2009-10-29, 08:04 PM
I assume my monicker is being used more as a nickname or an alias than anything else...

It's not his given name, but it's what people usually refer to him as. "Pen", that is. "Mercenary" is usually left out.

Blayze
2009-10-30, 07:25 AM
Half biro, half felt. All professional. No job too big, no font too obscure.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-30, 07:39 AM
Half biro, half felt. All professional. No job too big, no font too obscure.

Indeed, you need to send love letters in Klingon, or threats of direst devastation in Elvish (whether that be Quenya or something else) this guy is obviously your man. I, on the other hand, am probably not.

Dewey
2009-10-30, 11:25 AM
My username isn't very unique, but my real name is (Eamon). feel free to use either.

Raz_Fox
2009-10-31, 08:48 AM
I'm afraid I can't offer the name Raz to anyone for their book, as it's not really my own. Curse my fanboyism.

However, if you like me enough to cameo me in my novel, just add someone named "The Fox" or "Alvixa." Absent-minded scholar or sultry maiden, it doesn't matter who.

Weimann
2009-11-01, 07:13 PM
If you wish, my name may be used for any kind of character in any kind of novel. Stick it on a hero, a mook, a homeless hobo or a pet rock, I don't really care.

I'd be happy to get to read the novel afterwards, however :)

Argeus
2009-11-01, 07:18 PM
A name I'm gonna use is Gramzal Seranthil.

BTW, you can have a very cheap name generator at $29.99. Just buy Neverwinter Nights Diamond and create a new character.

Ikialev
2009-11-03, 04:54 PM
So... I stopped writing, so at least I can offer my username for use.

Recaiden
2009-11-03, 05:16 PM
You guys can have my name if you'd like.