PDA

View Full Version : Hot Topic carries steampunk clothing now

Pocketa
2009-10-26, 09:53 AM
For your viewing pleasure:

http://search.hottopic.com/search?bmForm=frm_ht_search&bmFormID=1256568245825&bmUID=1256568245825&bmIsForm=true&bmPrevTemplate=%2Fhottopic%2FWhatsNew%2FApparel%2F Lip-Service-Black-Steampunk-Military-Jacket-283036.jsp&bmHidden=pricelistname&pricelistname=PRC_USA_Standard&bmHidden=SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3EATR_Available_In_Invent ory&SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3EATR_Available_In_Inventory=true&bmHidden=p&p=Q&bmHidden=ts&ts=custom&bmHidden=asug&bmText=w&w=steampunk&bmImage=submit_search.x&bmImage=submit_search.y&bmImage=submit_search&bmFields=bmForm%2CbmFormID%2CbmUID%2CbmIsForm%2Cbm PrevTemplate%2CbmHidden%2CbmText%2CbmImage&bmHash=96324fd5b3bcdcf9bb020a220f85bf221ebd6d78

And no, unlike their line of Victorian goth clothes, it's entitled steampunk, as seen here:

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/WhatsNew/Apparel/Lip-Service-Black-Steampunk-Military-Jacket-283036.jsp

I'm actually really happy this is happening. I think steampunk got a little too ridiculous. People seemed to be trying to turn it into a renfair type of thing, but it just didn't work out. I'm glad for multiple reasons, some that I won't voice here. But what does the Playground think of this?

The Mute Bard
2009-10-26, 10:28 AM
Are they nice?

Yes

Are they worthy of the steampunk genre?

I don't think so...Maybe some designs will cut it later?

Rettu Skcollob
2009-10-26, 10:30 AM
What? NO, PLEASE DON'T LET THE HOT TOPIC DRONES INFECT ONE OF MY BELOVED GENRES NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Well at least I'll always have you, Cyberpunk.

Dirk Kris
2009-10-26, 10:33 AM
Are they nice?

Yes

Are they worthy of the steampunk genre?

I don't think so...Maybe some designs will cut it later?

This. I especially like the jacket. Very dark-circus-esque.

Rutskarn
2009-10-26, 10:36 AM
I'm going to join the (laughably elitist) "get your Hot Topic outta my steampunk dammit" crowd.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-26, 10:36 AM

http://search.hottopic.com/search?bmForm=frm_ht_search&bmFormID=1256568245825&bmUID=1256568245825&bmIsForm=true&bmPrevTemplate=%2Fhottopic%2FWhatsNew%2FApparel%2F Lip-Service-Black-Steampunk-Military-Jacket-283036.jsp&bmHidden=pricelistname&pricelistname=PRC_USA_Standard&bmHidden=SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3EATR_Available_In_Invent ory&SEARCH_INPUT%3C%3EATR_Available_In_Inventory=true&bmHidden=p&p=Q&bmHidden=ts&ts=custom&bmHidden=asug&bmText=w&w=steampunk&bmImage=submit_search.x&bmImage=submit_search.y&bmImage=submit_search&bmFields=bmForm%2CbmFormID%2CbmUID%2CbmIsForm%2Cbm PrevTemplate%2CbmHidden%2CbmText%2CbmImage&bmHash=96324fd5b3bcdcf9bb020a220f85bf221ebd6d78

And no, unlike their line of Victorian goth clothes, it's entitled steampunk, as seen here:

http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/WhatsNew/Apparel/Lip-Service-Black-Steampunk-Military-Jacket-283036.jsp

I'm actually really happy this is happening. I think steampunk got a little too ridiculous. People seemed to be trying to turn it into a renfair type of thing, but it just didn't work out. I'm glad for multiple reasons, some that I won't voice here. But what does the Playground think of this?

Haven't checked the links yet. May later. That said...

...steampunk...too ridiculous? What blasphemy is this! Something becoming available at "overpriced-for-everything-except-crappy-music" Hot Topic is not normally a good thing. It's the first step in something awesome becoming commercialized to the point that every kid is going to want some cheap imitation. v.v

Rutskarn
2009-10-26, 10:39 AM
Yeah, get your mainstream popularity out of our awesome obscure obsession, dammit!

It's like AD&D all over again.

Nameless
2009-10-26, 11:06 AM
It's nice, but hardly Steampunk. .-.

averagejoe
2009-10-26, 11:15 AM
Man. Lotta people don't like Hot Topic. It's a store, not a religion, guys.

I dunno about the rest of it, but the vests and jacket are pretty neat, at any rate.

Xallace
2009-10-26, 11:19 AM
I do not see how these are steampunk. I see no social commentary with anachronistic technology anywhere in there.

Nice vest, though.

Jibar
2009-10-26, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I can see like... very vague hints at Steampunk, but that's nothing at all like regular steampunk. Nothing to get worried about really.

I met a guy in a steampunk blues band today incidentally.

The Demented One
2009-10-26, 11:35 AM
I met a guy in a steampunk blues band today incidentally.
Steampunk blues? Please, pleease tell me they have a website.

Syka
2009-10-26, 11:39 AM
The jacket was the only thing that struck me as steampunk. The vests do have steampunk buttons, but buttons do not steampunk make. Give me some clockwork stuff, lotsa brass, and nice victorian clothes.

And zepplins!

*ahem* But my issue with Hot Topic isn't commercialization, it's the fact that the only thing I have EVER gotten there that lasted was two t-shirts. Guy shirts. Everything else has fallen apart. A friend got me a choker there that fell apart the FIRST TIME I PUT IT ON. :smallsigh: Needless to say, I tend to avoid Hot Topic now.

Not too mention, how the hell are fishnet gloves steampunk? *confused*

averagejoe
2009-10-26, 11:44 AM
I do not see how these are steampunk. I see no social commentary with anachronistic technology anywhere in there.

Nice vest, though.

It goes with the steampunk aesthetic in being somewhat Victorian, but also somewhat modern, in style. Also dressing up women in what is unarguably woman's clothing, but in what were traditionally men's style. I'm no expert on fashion, granted, but at the least this wouldn't be out of place as far as that goes.

Assassin89
2009-10-26, 11:47 AM
My opinion of the attire? Too much punk, not enough steam.

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 11:50 AM
I have more issue with steampunk fans than hot topic if this thread is any indication.

Jibar
2009-10-26, 11:51 AM
Steampunk blues? Please, pleease tell me they have a website.

I will when he gives me a link to it.
Though it'll only be worth listening to, when they have some music. :smalltongue: They're like a month old.
Needless to say though, me and him are gonna be best friends now.

BritishBill
2009-10-26, 12:04 PM
I hate hot topic. They could sell free money and I wouldnt buy it.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-26, 12:09 PM

...I would.

Hot Topic isn't evil or anything. I like when they happen to carry a CD I want, because they sell it cheaper than elsewhere. Their selection just tends to be poor.

And they have some nifty T-shirts, sometimes. I've found some good gag gifts there.

My problem is more with their...catering to "subcultures", I suppose. Because they do it in a crappy, hasty, lazy manner. Most people I've met who really care for that particular subculture don't like that Hot Topic sells it, because you can't get quality items there, they're overpriced, and what ends up happening is that a lot of apathetic rich kids pick up something you're passionate about for a week or two and make a mild mockery of it. So I can understand the hate, I guess. =P

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 12:10 PM
At the end of the day, Hot Topic is a store, nothing more. Unless I find that they engage in business practices I consider immoral, that is how I will hold them. If they have a piece of clothing I want and can afford, I will buy it - I saw a few decent kitsch Nintendo shirts a while back, passing by it in the mall - and I do not hold them responsible for some of the idiots who choose to buy their whole wardrobe there and act like clowns.

As steampunk has gotten more popular, I find a lot of its fandom laughable or to have put on airs about what is - as a distillation of its most common form, rather than the very rare intellectual one described by Xallace - a pretty ridiculous conceit.

Nameless
2009-10-26, 12:20 PM

Hot Topic really isn't that bad. People only hate it because it's "popular".

Syka
2009-10-26, 12:24 PM
At the end of the day, Hot Topic is a store, nothing more. Unless I find that they engage in business practices I consider immoral, that is how I will hold them. If they have a piece of clothing I want and can afford, I will buy it - I saw a few decent kitsch Nintendo shirts a while back, passing by it in the mall - and I do not hold them responsible for some of the idiots who choose to buy their whole wardrobe there and act like clowns.

As steampunk has gotten more popular, I find a lot of its fandom laughable or to have put on airs about what is - as a distillation of its most common form, rather than the very rare intellectual one described by Xallace - a pretty ridiculous conceit.

As I said, my issue with HT is not the commercialization. I think it would be awesome for steampunk to get a larger following and make their stuff more accesible (lord knows, I can't afford any of it right now).

I dislike the fact that most of their products are of shoddy quality yet more expensive than a decent quality product. I think other than the t-shirts, the only other decent product I got there was a leather watch for Oz, that was surprisingly cheaper than at other stores AND real leather. That shocked me (and the guy who was selling it!). As I said, I've had issues with everything else I've gotten there, such as various jewlery pieces. Similar stuff from Spencer's has held up.

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 12:29 PM
That's a valid complaint and one I've never had an issue with. I'm responding to the absurdity of statements made like "they couldn't pay me to take money from them." Obviously a falsehood for the purposes of exaggeration, but it illustrates a level of negative attribution to the store that just is not sensical.

Trog
2009-10-26, 12:47 PM

Maybe I just don't "get steampunk"... maybe I'm not "young and hip" ... maybe I don't "not reek of Coffin Nails and booze"... but I don't see what's so steampunk-y (aside: Steampunky Brewster!) about this line of clothing. :smallconfused:

The jacket perhaps... but again it seems to be sticking to the Hot Topic default color of black versus the browns that I seem to predominate the steampunk artwork that I have seen. At a glance the line looks to be reasonably normal clothing that had the word "steampunk" slapped on it.

Also, Hot Topic is just a store who saw a need from young counter culture types and fulfilled it on a nationwide scale. Chances are it probably increased the offerings of that brand of clothing as manufacturers found they had a decent chain to sell their merchandise out of. Naturally this made the choice of being goth or "fill in label here" a lot easier for people to make since they now didn't have to go out of their way to find such clothing if they liked it. But I don't see this as a bad thing. Basically you have a small subset of the population who thought something was cool and when others were exposed to it they liked it too, increasing its popularity.

Those people who (seriously, not just tongue-in-cheek) deride others for adopting something they love after them often strike me at the best as being a tad bit elitist and mildly unreasonable and at the worst as complete hypocrites. I mean if you really think something is worth liking why is it so horrible when others agree with you? :smallconfused:

Jibar
2009-10-26, 01:04 PM
At a glance the line looks to be reasonably normal clothing that had the word "steampunk" slapped on it.

Yeah, that's pretty much my conclusion.
Hell, Hot Topic started selling Steampunk stuff, fantastic. My obsession with gears needs a viable outlet and I'm not skilled enough to make some goggles.
If they're of poor quality, I won't buy them. I'll actually buy some of those custom made online ones then. (Speaking of which, feel free to link me any affordable ones you've found guys).

BritishBill
2009-10-26, 01:05 PM

I dont hate it because its popular. Its just not my kind of store. I guess hate is a strong word. I strongly dislike hot topic, lol.

As I said, my issue with HT is not the commercialization. I think it would be awesome for steampunk to get a larger following and make their stuff more accesible (lord knows, I can't afford any of it right now).

I dislike the fact that most of their products are of shoddy quality yet more expensive than a decent quality product. I think other than the t-shirts, the only other decent product I got there was a leather watch for Oz, that was surprisingly cheaper than at other stores AND real leather. That shocked me (and the guy who was selling it!). As I said, I've had issues with everything else I've gotten there, such as various jewlery pieces. Similar stuff from Spencer's has held up.
Yes, thats another reason I dont like them. I have purchased a few things from them and they arent of great quality. They are very expensive though.

zeratul
2009-10-26, 01:16 PM
What? NO, PLEASE DON'T LET THE HOT TOPIC DRONES INFECT ONE OF MY BELOVED GENRES NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Now you know how the metalheads have felt for the last few years :smalltongue:. Yeah, nothing is sacred when it comes to hot topic, the most you steampunks can hope for is that it that steampunk stops being scene in a few years if its becoming scene now.

I personally don't like it because I don't like people wearing music shirts because its "trendy/scene" to do so and because scene kids piss me off. That said I did buy my wallet chain there.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-26, 03:14 PM
A few weeks ago one of my decidedly more mainstream friends, who knows nothing of my interest in steampunk culture, texted me telling me how they thought they should start dressing in a "steampunk" style.

I have absolutely no issue with hot topic selling steampunk clothes. I love the steampunk style and the normalization of it can only make it more pleasant for me to walk down the street in the morning. In fact, it'll allow me to experiment with dressing like that too.

My main contention is that those clothes are not steampunky enough.

The Extinguisher
2009-10-26, 03:16 PM
I prefer solarpunk myself.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-26, 03:19 PM
I prefer solarpunk myself.

Now, see, you're going to have to tell me what that is. Because I like the sound of that.

The Extinguisher
2009-10-26, 03:21 PM
Now, see, you're going to have to tell me what that is. Because I like the sound of that.

A terrible joke about alternative energy, or a glimpse into the hottest genre in the solar system?

You decide. :smallamused:

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-26, 03:24 PM
A terrible joke about alternative energy, or a glimpse into the hottest genre in the solar system?

You decide. :smallamused:

I'm seeing solar panel sunglasses and satellite backpacks! White leather and, uh... widespread albinism!? We've got to get on this baby quick and leave Hot Topic writhing in the dust!

The Extinguisher
2009-10-26, 03:33 PM
I'm seeing solar panel sunglasses and satellite backpacks! White leather and, uh... widespread albinism!? We've got to get on this baby quick and leave Hot Topic writhing in the dust!

Giant parasols and overly baggy clothing.

Man, we are on fire today.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-26, 04:02 PM
Giant parasols and overly baggy clothing.

Man, we are on fire today.

Not yet, you aren't. :smallwink:

Jalor
2009-10-26, 04:10 PM
I'd have to wonder how many of the more outraged people actually looked at the pictures. C'mon, click the links, you can delete them from your browser history later. :smalltongue:

I was a little upset when I saw the topic title, but then I clicked said links. There's no clockwork or anything remotely Victorian. Steampunk hasn't been Hot Topic-ified yet.

Silence
2009-10-26, 04:39 PM
The Silence approves.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-26, 04:45 PM
I have a vinyl dress that has held up. But yeah, I haven't liked what I have seen in the stores recently. Though some of the tops on the site did look cute.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-26, 04:47 PM
Out of curiousity, why do people bash Hot Topic? I mean yeah, the stuff they carry is quite ugly and obviously caters to mall goths/emos, but how is it different from say, the Gap (pseudointellectual snobs or pseudocasual) or Armani Exchange (clubbers), or Guess (pseudo bad boy bikers)?

It's also fairly cheap as far as clothing stores go. Although this could be biased as I tend to shop at Esprit and AX.

BritishBill
2009-10-26, 04:57 PM
Out of curiousity, why do people bash Hot Topic? I mean yeah, the stuff they carry is quite ugly and obviously caters to mall goths/emos, but how is it different from say, the Gap (pseudointellectual snobs or pseudocasual) or Armani Exchange (clubbers), or Guess (pseudo bad boy bikers)?

It's also fairly cheap as far as clothing stores go. Although this could be biased as I tend to shop at Esprit and AX.

I dunno about cheap. Some of their prices will match and exceed anything else you find in those mall stores. Im sure their are more exoensive stuff, but they have to be up their.

Hunter Noventa
2009-10-26, 05:07 PM
The funniest part about Hot Topic is they are owner by Abercrombie and Fitch, their nemesis. It's hilarious.

And those clothes don't have nearly enough steam.

Rutskarn
2009-10-26, 05:08 PM

Actually, that's tight as hell.

Think about it. Bleached figures, mirrored glasses, bright white clothing. Clean, flat edges. A feeling of radiant heat...everywhere. More energy than anyone could ever use, but at the cost of a world that is literally like a living hell.

Could be useful. Definitely sounds cool.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-26, 05:16 PM

Think about it. Bleached figures, mirrored glasses, bright white clothing. Clean, flat edges. A feeling of radiant heat...everywhere. More energy than anyone could ever use, but at the cost of a world that is literally like a living hell.

That's the great thing about -punk. When you think about it, almost anything can be alternately comedic, cool or horrifying. Certainly, solarpunk could be a sweet setting. For added grimdark, set it in a world where the sun is gradually failing and the fashion trends are sort of nihilistically decadent.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-26, 05:33 PM
I dunno about cheap. Some of their prices will match and exceed anything else you find in those mall stores. Im sure their are more exoensive stuff, but they have to be up their.
Well, their tier is rich white kids who want to think they'll be different because being different involves dressing like all the other kids who want to be different instead of having, you know, an interesting personality or doing something that's pretty cool like skydiving.

So it's pretty much the same tier as Abercrombie, which is for rich white kids who want to think they'll be cool because they dress like all the cool kids do.

Unless you mean same price tier, which makes it a loaded question.

zeratul
2009-10-26, 05:37 PM

I think the reason that lots of actual goths and metalheads (As opposed to the mall variety or scene kids or emos) dislike hot topic because it's sort of selling a watered down version of those sub cultures, which then becomes associated with them. And since goths and metalheads are very different from scene kids and mallgoths, they tend not to like being associated with the watered down groups if that makes sense.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-10-26, 05:39 PM
I think the reason that lots of actual goths and metalheads (As opposed to the mall variety or scene kids or emos) dislike hot topic because it's sort of selling a watered down version of those sub cultures, which then becomes associated with them. And since goths and metalheads are very different from scene kids and mallgoths, they tend not to like being associated with the watered down groups if that makes sense.
Makes sense perfectly, thanks :smile:

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-26, 05:55 PM

It's funny, every analogy I thought of for this involved watered down cheap beer. >.>

On the one hand, it does make that culture more accessible. On the other hand, most people seem to be happy with their watered-down crap than moving on to better things. In the same way that lots of metalheads got their start from crappy American bands and moved on to higher quality music. And then when someone comes up and wants to talk metal, it's a downer when you find out they're talking about...weak music.

It's a bit of an elitist opinion, sure, but it's also recognizing that they're two very different groups. And one likes to think it's better than the other. Because it is. :smallwink:

The Extinguisher
2009-10-26, 05:59 PM
That's the great thing about -punk. When you think about it, almost anything can be alternately comedic, cool or horrifying. Certainly, solarpunk could be a sweet setting. For added grimdark, set it in a world where the sun is gradually failing and the fashion trends are sort of nihilistically decadent.

The more we talk about this, the more I absolutely love this.

I must harness my horrible jokes for the good of all fiction.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-26, 06:04 PM
The more we talk about this, the more I absolutely love this.

I must harness my horrible jokes for the good of all fiction.

Heh, please do. I always end up getting tangenial like this. I'm up for fleshing out a setting for solarpunk if you are, but this probably isn't the place for it.

Lamech
2009-10-26, 06:11 PM
Its nice, but it doesn't strike me as highly steampunky... not that I'm an expert. And whats the hate on hot topic, it has a lot of stuff I wouldn't like and a bit I do, but... umm... so does I think every store I've been in. Ever. Damn Pigly Wigly and its whole milk.

snoopy13a
2009-10-26, 06:12 PM

Hey, I shop at the Gap :smalltongue:

And Macy's and sometimes J Crew.

Moff Chumley
2009-10-26, 06:32 PM
Why do I hate Hot Topic?
1) This is probably local, but the Hot Topic Tour. All of the crappiest high-school screamo bands in the Bay Area get paid a few hundred bucks, and play at every Hot Topic within a hundred miles. It's terrifying. :smallfrown:
2) They steal things from the nerds and goths and freaks and sell it to the annoying, rich white kids. Remember when Invader Zim was nerdy? Remember when The Cure was the first thing that sprang to mind when someone said "Goth"?
3) They perpetuate Mallcore. I apologize in advance to any Slipknot fans, but metal would be so much better these days without it...
4) All of the reasons outlined in that one Southpark episode. You know the one.

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 06:41 PM
Reason 2 just boggles me.

Of course, it helps that I never liked Zim because the creator has shown himself to be a complete jerk and I'm not a fan of its type of humor, but still.

Xallace
2009-10-26, 07:01 PM
2) They steal things from the nerds and goths and freaks and sell it to the annoying, rich white kids. Remember when Invader Zim was nerdy? Remember when The Cure was the first thing that sprang to mind when someone said "Goth"?

Dude. I bought an 8-bit MegaMan shirt, a Voltron shirt, and a Sandman (Golden Age DC, not Neil Gaiman) action figure from Hot Topic. That's not stealing, that's providing happiness.

Plus my girlfriend looks hot in their clothing. I see no reason to hate them for this.

EDIT: Oh, there was a prices discussion. Yes, a little more expensive than I like. But then again I shop at Good Will. The 23-cent rack is my buddy. I may be a little biased on that front.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-26, 07:28 PM
Reason 2 just boggles me.

Of course, it helps that I never liked Zim because the creator has shown himself to be a complete jerk and I'm not a fan of its type of humor, but still.

Reason 2 also boggles me... why is it a bad thing if anyone likes something you happen to like?

Wouldn't that just be more overall win?

Or is it some kind of "Oh you like Invader Zim too... so maybe I can trust you enough not to try to beat me up on the playground" kinda thing?

Gaelbert
2009-10-26, 07:42 PM

I'm seeing a tight white jacket. Shiny white. And tight white pants. Shiny white. And... I don"t know, a v-neck?

Not quite the image I was going for. Let's get back to the white jacket. The semi-tight but not outrageously so one. I want it. With matching goggles. That's a look I could go for.

zeratul
2009-10-26, 07:48 PM
Reason 2 also boggles me... why is it a bad thing if anyone likes something you happen to like?

Wouldn't that just be more overall win?

Or is it some kind of "Oh you like Invader Zim too... so maybe I can trust you enough not to try to beat me up on the playground" kinda thing?

There is a thing with subcultures that you kind have to be part of one to get which is that it's fun to be the only person you know who's heard of something, or one of the few. If something that was really cult that you liked or rather underground outside its subculture, then one might get annoyed if all of a sudden there's borderline preps who have heard of it.This is another reason why goths and metalheads get iffy about hot topic, I always get annoyed when I see them selling Children of Bodom shirts 'n such because I'm an actual metalhead and that's supposed to be my thing, so I don;t like the masses associating with it. It's kind of stupid but it's just something that seems to get on peoples nerves.

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 07:52 PM
I can't think of a single hobby of mine where I wasn't happy to see more people embracing it.

Jalor
2009-10-26, 07:55 PM
Liking it for the wrong reasons. People liking Jhonen Vasquez's works for being "edgy", rather than for their gleefully over-the-top nihilistic satire. People who listen to Dream Theater's more recent works and focus only on the heavy parts while ignoring the song as a whole. You know, the people they wrote Honor Thy Father for.

Oh, and they overprice their crap. My clothes that aren't concert t-shirts are usually from JC Penney ($7 for Pink Floyd and Sabbath shirts? $10 for a good pair of black jeans? Sounds like a good deal to me) or thrift stores/Goodwill.

Pocketa
2009-10-26, 07:59 PM
I love Hot Topic because their sizes do make sense, and I take care of my clothing so it does last. Buy the cheap stuff, expect it to fall apart.

My black lipstick: over 2 years old, lasted longer than the Revlon I bought at the same time and would wear it with
My black laceup armwarmers have lasted me for about 3 years, with not-so-gentle washings
My black pleated skirt with chains looks good as new even though I wear it every other Wednesday
My eyelash glue never dried up
My bustleskirt dress composite hasn't lost any color at all

Yeah, some people's stuff breaks. They either buy it and don't take care of it, or buy something cheap that's going to fall apart. I.e. fangirls that tug on the keychains a bajillion times and expect the rubber to hold, people that stuff themselves into the corsets that aren't meant to be used as corsets at all. But whatever.

I'm just annoyed that steampunk is being carried there. I do not like steampunk at all. It's about emulating Victorian speculative fiction. I'll be an elitist about it. I don't like most of the members of the community that I've met. I don't like people buying stuff and saying it's period when it isn't. I don't like how the sensibilities of the era were warped to people's own egos to avoid guilttrips.

It's just like the whole Twilight thing, because at my local Hot Topic, which used to be great, they revamped it twice. The first time, it was easier to walk into, stuff was more organized, meh. They transitioned from tunnel mode.

Now, the main feature is Twilight and I can't get past the Twimoms crowding the register complaining that the newest shipment isn't in, and that they don't have the Bella Swan dress in their size. I'm going to buy that dress in the smallest size they have just to rub it in.

And I'll probably do the same thing with the steampunk collection, just to annoy a few kids at my school that think they're the king of steam. Right, after I do a presentation on Vernes, wearing traditional antique Victorian garb, and they ask what sort of style I have, because it's "like Goth but brown".

So tl;dr

I love Hot Topic, their clothes aren't that bad, unless you intentionally buy something that's supposed to be that way (preripped shirts, etc.) but I'm annoyed that steampunk and Twilight, my two least favorite things, are now there.

I'm just happy that the steampunks who are oh so original are not that pleased with it being there. Protip: Steampunk didn't invent the Victorian Era. Victorians invented the Victorian Era.

</antisteamrant> toot toot

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 08:06 PM
I'm not a big fan of steampunk, but your ranting intrigues me. I would like to know more.

Stormthorn
2009-10-26, 08:08 PM
Man. Lotta people don't like Hot Topic. It's a store, not a religion, guys.

I dunno about the rest of it, but the vests and jacket are pretty neat, at any rate.

I support both of these points althoug until they release goggles i wont call it steampunk.

I was a little upset when I saw the topic title, but then I clicked said links. There's no clockwork or anything remotely Victorian. Steampunk hasn't been Hot Topic-ified yet.

Whic is kinda sad. See, as it stands if i want something really steampunk i need to pay hundreds of dollars to get it custom made, as opposed to sixty dollars at an overpriced store.
I support the mass consumption of steampunk so us middle class people can afford it too.

Jalor
2009-10-26, 08:15 PM
I can't think of a single hobby of mine where I wasn't happy to see more people embracing it.
I said that too, and then I attended Friday Night Magic and found out that 98% of Type 2 players are just run-of-the-mill tools and douchebags, with absolutely nothing more clever to say than "dude that new Bloodghast card is so pimp bro". These buffoons infest my FLGS and blot out all sound with their cries of "what the **** dude Path To Exile is so gay man". Meanwhile, actual geeks like my friends and I are crowded into the one table in the back, playing Arkham Horror and debating the best novels of the past year.

Xallace
2009-10-26, 08:17 PM
I support both of these points althoug until they release goggles i wont call it steampunk.

So what is the definition of steampunk in the mainstream, anyway? I know a gal who'll call anything steampunk as long as its got some brass on it. Others'll say it needs goggles to be steampunk (not pointing fingers at you, moreso the crowd I hang out with IRL). One of my roommates claims that it just needs to appear anachronistic (i.e. put some old cogs in there).

And that's just visually. What are the requirements for the genre as a whole?
Does anyone have a singular definition?

Also, how come these days you can just add -punk to a noun and it becomes a new genre? Cyberpunk, steampunk, mythpunk, hebrewpunk, faeriepunk...

zeratul
2009-10-26, 08:18 PM

The problem is I only like it when cool people dig the stuff I'm into. I don't have a problem when a non-subculture person decides to pick up a metal album or some goth clothes if the genuinely like them, I'm cool with that. The thing I have a problem with is when the preps and the scene kids decide something that other people are legitimately in to is "cool" and "edgy for a month then drop it like it's hot. That annoys the hell out of me, and in my opinion cheapens the awesomeness of the thing.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-26, 09:10 PM
Zeratul and others, I used to understand.... but maybe I just became old.

The way I see it is this.

If you have a problem with other kids liking something based on the opinions of others, why do you base your opinion of things based on the likes others?

I have always been a like what I like and darn what anyone else says about it. If all the cool kids decide to play D&D sure, cool. I likely won't play or talk to them about it because I won't like the way they play, but it won't effect my opinion of the game, just like it didn't when they thought I was a dork for playing it.

A bit from the original JTHM speaks to this, where one goth girl decries how all the populars won't stop judging her for the way she looks, and why can't they just leave her alone and let her look the way she wants. And then she goes on to make nasty remarks about every other goth she sees.

zeratul
2009-10-26, 09:17 PM
Zeratul and others, I used to understand.... but maybe I just became old.

The way I see it is this.

If you have a problem with other kids liking something based on the opinions of others, why do you base your opinion of things based on the likes others?

I have always been a like what I like and darn what anyone else says about it. If all the cool kids decide to play D&D sure, cool. I likely won't play or talk to them about it because I won't like the way they play, but it won't effect my opinion of the game, just like it didn't when they thought I was a dork for playing it.

A bit from the original JTHM speaks to this, where one goth girl decries how all the populars won't stop judging her for the way she looks, and why can't they just leave her alone and let her look the way she wants. And then she goes on to make nasty remarks about every other goth she sees.

I have a problem with other people liking things based on my own opinion not the opinions of others. I'm just annoyed/uncomfortable with being associated with scene kids or emos due to the way I dress or the fact that the music I listen to is vaguely similar to there's on occasion. I also find the whole liking a band for a month when it's popular and then pretending you never liked it disrespectful to the art, and it annoys me as a musician. And in response to the last part I'm usually pretty complementary towards fellow metalheads/goths

Worira
2009-10-26, 09:25 PM
The only definition of steampunk I accept is a literary subgenre.

As a sidenote, I'm off to pioneer bookpunk.

BritishBill
2009-10-26, 09:31 PM
I love Hot Topic because their sizes do make sense, and I take care of my clothing so it does last. Buy the cheap stuff, expect it to fall apart.

My black lipstick: over 2 years old, lasted longer than the Revlon I bought at the same time and would wear it with
My black laceup armwarmers have lasted me for about 3 years, with not-so-gentle washings
My black pleated skirt with chains looks good as new even though I wear it every other Wednesday
My eyelash glue never dried up
My bustleskirt dress composite hasn't lost any color at all

Yeah, some people's stuff breaks. They either buy it and don't take care of it, or buy something cheap that's going to fall apart. I.e. fangirls that tug on the keychains a bajillion times and expect the rubber to hold, people that stuff themselves into the corsets that aren't meant to be used as corsets at all. But whatever.

I'm just annoyed that steampunk is being carried there. I do not like steampunk at all. It's about emulating Victorian speculative fiction. I'll be an elitist about it. I don't like most of the members of the community that I've met. I don't like people buying stuff and saying it's period when it isn't. I don't like how the sensibilities of the era were warped to people's own egos to avoid guilttrips.

It's just like the whole Twilight thing, because at my local Hot Topic, which used to be great, they revamped it twice. The first time, it was easier to walk into, stuff was more organized, meh. They transitioned from tunnel mode.

Now, the main feature is Twilight and I can't get past the Twimoms crowding the register complaining that the newest shipment isn't in, and that they don't have the Bella Swan dress in their size. I'm going to buy that dress in the smallest size they have just to rub it in.

And I'll probably do the same thing with the steampunk collection, just to annoy a few kids at my school that think they're the king of steam. Right, after I do a presentation on Vernes, wearing traditional antique Victorian garb, and they ask what sort of style I have, because it's "like Goth but brown".

So tl;dr

I love Hot Topic, their clothes aren't that bad, unless you intentionally buy something that's supposed to be that way (preripped shirts, etc.) but I'm annoyed that steampunk and Twilight, my two least favorite things, are now there.

I'm just happy that the steampunks who are oh so original are not that pleased with it being there. Protip: Steampunk didn't invent the Victorian Era. Victorians invented the Victorian Era.

</antisteamrant> toot toot

I have no idea what any of this means.

Flickerdart
2009-10-26, 09:38 PM
I've begun doing a few sketches already, including the insidious baron Claude E. Skye (named by NEO|Phyte on the IRC), who sports a sweet tinted monocle and gleaming bald spot. Plus a classy lady and a guy practicing an unspecified but evidently dangerous...sport?
Hopefully I'll have time to make 'em into proper illustrations.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-10-26, 09:38 PM
If any of that aside from the coat was actually Steampunk, I'd have been excited.
Finally, steampunk I could have afforded.
As it is, though, none of it is really Steampunk-y, though some of it is cute as hell anyways.

Myshlaevsky
2009-10-26, 09:52 PM
I've begun doing a few sketches already, including the insidious baron Claude E. Skye (named by NEO|Phyte on the IRC), who sports a sweet tinted monocle and gleaming bald spot. Plus a classy lady and a guy practicing an unspecified but evidently dangerous...sport?
Hopefully I'll have time to make 'em into proper illustrations.

Awesome. Also, there's a Gitp IRC? What's the address?

AstralFire
2009-10-26, 09:52 PM
irc.gamesurge.net. I know we're on the GameSurge network.

Flickerdart
2009-10-26, 09:54 PM
Yep, #giantitp on either irc.gamesurge.net or irc.eu.gamesurge.net (which connects better for me, so try it if the other one doesn't work).

Er, back on topic! I certainly wouldn't mind steampunk going a bit more mainstream, as I rather like the idea but am not going to spend ludicrous sums on the stuff. I do own a pair of those watch movement cufflinks that are all over Etsy, though. Wouldn't mind an outfit that actually goes with 'em thematically.

Blaine.Bush
2009-10-26, 09:55 PM
lol{/noncontribute}

snoopy13a
2009-10-26, 09:59 PM
I have no idea what any of this means.

That's alright, I'm not quite sure what steampunk is...

However, I do know what chinos and boat shoes are :smalltongue:

I prefer debates about whether polo shirts should have two or three buttons and the question between pleated and non-pleated :smallsmile: