PDA

View Full Version : What do you mean you "don't have them"?!

Syka
2009-10-26, 12:58 PM
I'm in graduate school. GRADUATE SCHOOL. And I need my health history form, with all those nice dates of when I got my immunizations and stuff. So I dropped it off at my doctor's office on Thursday.

THURSDAY.

With the doctor I've been with OVER TWENTY YEARS. Since I was TWO.

I call today to see if it's ready for pick up. Nope. Nada. They only have record of a few shots, not near what the form needed. I've been there twenty years and they have NO RECORD of my immunizations. At all.

So I had to call my high school to print a transcript of them, which I'll then have to take to my doctor's office, wait for them to fill the form out again, and then maybe pick it up. Assuming someone doesnt' frack it up again.

How the hell do you lose someone's immunization records? Seriously?

Time for a new doctor, me thinks.

And you would think they'd've called me on Thursday/Friday to, you know, let me know they weren't able to fill it out. So I could have picked the information up Friday. And brought it in today. Rather than picking it up today and being unsure of when I'll be able to get it to them.

Urgh.

BritishBill
2009-10-26, 01:16 PM
Yup, Id get a new doctor. That sucks :smallfrown:

Icewalker
2009-10-26, 01:19 PM
That's both ridiculous and awful. Hope you manage to get your hands on those :smalleek:

Syka
2009-10-26, 01:21 PM
That's both ridiculous and awful. Hope you manage to get your hands on those :smalleek:

My high school is printing out a copy of them, thankfully they still had the records. On the upside I get to see how much my high school has changed since I graduated 4 years ago.

I just can't believe they don't have those records anywhere, not physically, and not in the computer system. :smallsigh:

Jack Squat
2009-10-26, 02:13 PM
The doctor office I go to (or would, if I ever got sick) clears out their records if you haven't been in an amount of time. I think for this particular one it's 5 years. My mom found that out the hard way when she got sick one time and had to figure out why they didn't have any of her info. Could be a similar case here.

Really though, it's generally a good idea to keep a copy of everything you may need, including medical records, transcripts, contracts, etc. I'm going to start doing this once I start getting a decent paper trail going.

Mando Knight
2009-10-26, 02:15 PM
Wow. That's really bad. You didn't happen to go through a name change for any reason, did you? That's pretty much the only excuse I can think of.

golentan
2009-10-26, 02:17 PM
I went through something similar, but there the practice closed and the doctor had moved and there wasn't a forwarding address.

One thing you can do, is many school districts keep proof of immunization records. Contact your high school and undergrad, they may have what you need. And they're generally more than happy to help by forwarding it to you or your new college.

Silverraptor
2009-10-26, 02:32 PM
I had a problem with doctors and records. They had me as being born a year later then when I was. They were about to give me another shot since they thought I was given it too soon, but at that exact moment, my dad realized they had my birthdate wrong.:smallsigh:

Syka
2009-10-26, 03:06 PM
No name changes and I was just there in late july. Even the ladies,who we've known for years, were confused.

I just picked the transcripts up from my old high school so all is well now. I just hope all the rest of my stuff is still there. Urgh. I need a copy of it all any way since I need to change docs for age reasons.

valadil
2009-10-26, 03:16 PM
An unfortunate number of doctors offices still store paper records. They have to clear out patient data just to make room. Even if you were still an active patient, it seems likely that someone dumped your data by accident while removing other records.

golentan
2009-10-26, 03:19 PM
An unfortunate number of doctors offices still store paper records. They have to clear out patient data just to make room. Even if you were still an active patient, it seems likely that someone dumped your data by accident while removing other records.

But electronic aren't that much better. You need to have electronic records, backup files, and a paper trail if you really want security. Having lost my job because they couldn't find my contract in the past, even that isn't foolproof. Or bureaucracy proof, which I'm not sure is the same thing but may be.

RandomNPC
2009-10-26, 04:48 PM
your doctor seems ok. My wifes doctor told me to do my own surgery. She tried to pass off reading x-rays and calling me about them onto another doctor, that kind of thing.

anywho, i do sugest keeping coppies of everything, as everyone else has said. but dgging through all that paperwork will be tedious when you need to do it.

MethosH
2009-10-26, 06:01 PM
Wait.... Where do you live? In what country you don't own a copy of your medical records? :smalleek:

Thes Hunter
2009-10-26, 07:36 PM
Syka, it's not the doctor it's the staff.

For whatever reason they have decided not to keep parts of your record in your current file. They are probably somewhere... buried deep in a storage locker somewhere.

This is why we need a centralized health record system, so it can make aggregating records for various doctors over the course of your life in one place that is accessible by those who need it, without being accessible to those who shouldn't have it.

This is a huge task especially with the current laws in place. However, all this redundant record keeping, and bureaucracy involved in transferring records is part of the reason health care costs are so high in this country.

So please consider this before leaving the doctor you seem otherwise happy with other than issues with the administration on the staff. Because it is hard to find a doctor who listens and communicates effectively with you.

Syka
2009-10-27, 08:48 AM
Wait.... Where do you live? In what country you don't own a copy of your medical records? :smalleek:

I'm in the US. Between when my mom and me and my sister were all in school at the same time, being displaced by a number of hurricanes in one year, followed by moving to university, then a room in our house getting flooded by a tropical storm, then my mom getting in an accident, then another accident a year later (neither were her fault by any stretch of the imagination), getting my medical records haven't been a priority.

Thes, I need to change doctors anyway. I'm at the upper limit of age for his practice (he's a pediatrician, but takes to 22), so I don't have much of a choice.

thubby
2009-10-27, 08:56 AM
clerical errors are what happens when you have hundreds of patients and books worth of paper on all of them.

Syka
2009-10-27, 09:22 AM
clerical errors are what happens when you have hundreds of patients and books worth of paper on all of them.

They have a computer system, too, though and it wasn't in there either.

God Bless the school system, lol.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-27, 09:35 AM
Ah. I was thinking Family Practice.

If the next one ever makes you feel like: You are wasting their time, interrupts you so often that you can't give the information they are asking for, seems not to listen, doesn't seem to like you, is dismissive of your questions, or will not discuss other treatment options with you, Go find another one.

If you feel or think any of those things are happening, you are not actually getting the quality of care you deserve, and errors could happen.

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-28, 12:53 AM
Wait.... Where do you live? In what country you don't own a copy of your medical records? :smalleek:I have never had my own medical records. The closest I ever came was when I was in the military and was changing duty stations, I would have them in my possession to hand over to the next clinic that would be handling my care, and then when I got out I had them photocopy the entire thing for me, but that leaves me only having my own copy of ten years' worth of doctorin', out of nearly 40, and I had to specifically ask for it. They weren't going to just hand it over to me. I also don't now or ever did possess a copy of my childrens' medical records. If there ever is a need to see a new doctor for some reason, the new doctor's office will have me fill out paperwork authorizing them to request it from my last doctor.

Is this odd? Do many American's have their own medical records?

For those that do, like Methos apparently, How do you make sure it stays current with the one the doctor's office has? Or does the doctor's office not maintain their own copy?

Deathslayer7
2009-10-28, 01:12 AM
I was born in Germany, so I have a small little yellow booklet that contains all my health immunization records. Whenever I get a shot, I have them fill out a little space in there, then take it with me. So whenever the next doctor needs it, I just bring it with me. Live in Las Vegas now and still have the little yellow book. Contains the last 19 years of shot records for me. :smallsmile:

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-28, 01:31 AM
Okay, see, there's a HUGE difference between "shot records", which everyone should have, and "medical records" which is what Methos asked about.

Syka
2009-10-28, 09:49 AM
Grahhh...I picked up the form about half an hour ago.

My menegitis vaccine isn't on there. They are looking again. If they can't find my record of it I'll have them look for my sisters since we got it at the same time. If not I'll just mark it as I'm opting out.

I think next week I'll get what records I can find. One lady today mentioned they may be in storage.

varthalon
2009-10-28, 10:35 AM
I'd agree that everyone should keep a copy of their shot records (The USA also uses the little yellow immunization booklet). I keep mine with my passport because I use to travel a lot and some countries require it.

Also, you might also consider getting a full copy of your medical records, which can be especially important when moving and/or shifting primary care providers, if something happens to your doctor's records (human error, computer crash, fire) and also for you to see what your doctors are writing about you as well as saying to you (which doesn't always match).

Just ask for a copy of everything they have so far and update your copy periodically. If they give you a hard time just say you'd like a copy incase your travelling or move. They may charge you for the cost of copying things but it shouldn't cost to much.