PDA

View Full Version : Something Stupid I'm thinking of Doing

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 02:06 PM
Well, I'm not sure "stupid" is the right word for this. More "rash and not entirely the best decision" would probably be more like it. Anyway, I recently made a bunch of necklaces I was planning on selling at a Ren Fair. I made 70, but I only managed to sell two during the 6 hours I was there. I made $90 (I sold them for $10 each, but I also sold a pair of chainmail wristbands for $35 each). Anyway I'm kind of disappointed at my sales, so I'm kind of on the fence of just going to a pawnshop and getting some cash for the necklaces I didn't sell.

I'm not exactly fond of this idea. Something about doing business through a pawnshop. I kind of have the impression they're all shady places located in "bad" neighborhoods (maybe that's just the impression I've gotten through television). I also feel as though I won't make that much pawning them. Granted, it took me less that an hour to make each necklace, and $3 in wire is more than enough to make 3 necklaces so $10 a good selling price per necklace. Still, I feel as though I might get less than that considering the pawnbroker has to sell them back at a profit.

Still, I do want to make some cash and this seems like the quickest method. I suppose I need the cash, but then again, anyone can say they need money. Money is just one of the essential things needed for living. My mom supplies me with cash as I'm still a student in college, but there are somethings that aren't directly related to school I want that I don't want to ask cash for. Knowing the money situation at home, I feel as though if I want some of these things, I should earn the money.

So, what are your thoughts?

zeratul
2009-10-27, 02:09 PM
Perhaps bring about half to the pawn shop, then keep half to sell. If business continues to be poor, then bring the rest to the pawn shop as well.

Krrth
2009-10-27, 02:14 PM
Try Ebay.

Also I know malls in my area do the occasional craft show. You might look into that as well.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 02:18 PM
Try Ebay.

Also I know malls in my area do the occasional craft show. You might look into that as well.

eBay is just as bad as trying to sell them at the Ren Fair. I might not get any buyers. Also, don't you have to set up an account and have a paypal and do a bunch of other stuff I'm too lazy to do?

The mall idea sounds worthwhile. I'll try that out. But I think I'll go with zeratul's idea and pawn half.

Mando Knight
2009-10-27, 03:11 PM
A good pawnshop used to be one of the best places to get a line of credit. That's changed thanks to our little plastic "friend," but you should be able to find a reputable pawnshop near you, especially if you're in a metropolitan area.

Dr. Bath
2009-10-27, 03:16 PM
I can't see the pawnshop offering you much for homemade jewellery to be honest, particularly not in bulk. You could try ebay, maybe just a couple, it's at least worth a shot. Remember to start it at a price that means you make back costs, starting much higher will likely just mean a no sale.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-10-27, 03:21 PM
eBay is just as bad as trying to sell them at the Ren Fair. I might not get any buyers. Also, don't you have to set up an account and have a paypal and do a bunch of other stuff I'm too lazy to do?

The mall idea sounds worthwhile. I'll try that out. But I think I'll go with zeratul's idea and pawn half.

Etsy is pretty good for that kind of stuff, too.
Especially if you've made it yourself.

And, if you do, link it.
I might buy one :smallwink:

Berserk Monk
2009-10-27, 03:25 PM
Etsy is pretty good for that kind of stuff, too.
Especially if you've made it yourself.

And, if you do, link it.
I might buy one :smallwink:

One of my art teachers actually recommended Etsy to sell any crafts we might make. I took a look at the site. Wasn't that impressed. Apparently it cost like $7 bucks to advertise. That'd be okay if I'm showcasing something I'm gonna sell for $20 or more.

And as you buying something, you can always PM me. Have you read my sig.?

valadil
2009-10-27, 03:33 PM
The advantage of selling on Etsy is that that's where people go when they want homemade jewelry. My fiancee was selling some stuff there and I think it cost her less than a buck to list it.

Google tells me it's $.20 to list an item (though I'm not sure if that's per listing or per item you intend to sell - paying that 70 times over would suck, but maybe you could start with 10?) and you pay back 3.5% if you sell. That's as good a deal as you'll get anywhere.

BritishBill
2009-10-27, 03:37 PM
Pawnshops seem to have a reputation for being shady. Honestly I never pawned anything so im not very sure. The internet can be an excellent resource to sell your merchandise as you can appeal to people on a global scale rather than just your local area. The internet just like a pawn shop can be shady as well though :(

Coidzor
2009-10-27, 03:53 PM

You don't really lose anything to put 'em up on Ebay for awhile first. It's not like you're desperate for the cash these things can bring in anyway, since this is at best supplemental income rather than a full on investment of your livelihood.

varthalon
2009-10-27, 06:07 PM
Online would probably be my first suggestion although others have already done that.

Next would be to try commission sales or wholesale. Find someone running a both at a Ren Fair or Convention and ask them if they would add your stuff to their inventory, either buying it outright or just displaying it and handling the sale and taking a cut for their time.

Johel
2009-10-27, 06:16 PM
"-Money has no smell"

I don't know if it translates well but the meaning is clear.
If they offer you a fair deal and you're sure they won't slit your throat, I don't see the problem. At worst, their offer is too low, you don't sell and have wasted an hour to go there.

Felixaar
2009-10-28, 04:22 AM
Pawn shop is probably not worth the time - as said, doubt many people would be interest in selling your handmade jewelry in their pawn shop.

Of course, I cant really think of any alternatives. I can't really hurt to ask.

If you feel bad about it though, I'd not do it.

Cyrion
2009-10-28, 09:50 AM
Next would be to try commission sales or wholesale. Find someone running a both at a Ren Fair or Convention and ask them if they would add your stuff to their inventory, either buying it outright or just displaying it and handling the sale and taking a cut for their time.

How well will these necklaces sell outside of a Ren faire/fantasy buff niche? Especially with the holiday season coming up (I hate the fact that I can say that and it's only the end of October), there are going to be a lot of craft and holiday fairs coming up. This is probably a worthwhile idea to look into.

Failing that, I really think you'll be more successful investing your time and energy into doing it on ebay rather than a pawn shop.

Khanderas
2009-10-29, 10:24 AM
I always thought of pawnshops as... well banks.

You borrow money, but instead of putting up the deed to a house or deed to a car you give up the item itelf.
When you get the money to pay back your loan you get your item back.

Items that are not paid back for, would be sold to cover the debt.

But that idea breaks if you walk in and activly sell that many at once. It does imply that you wont ever come back to pay that loan, not to mention the pawnbroker gotta be able to sell them all, at a profit, that then has to be taxed for.

Not sure they are intrested in items thats worth that little each and has a very unstable resell value. I have never pawned anything anyway so I could be wrong.