PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dragon Knights of the Arcane, servants of Bahamut [PrC]

ErrantX
2009-10-28, 11:46 AM
PEACH!

---

Dragon Knights of the Arcane

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cZvu50zKf7A/SmnmCjeakfI/AAAAAAAAAHA/XifdLhgx-K0/s400/dragonborn_paladin_final.jpg
Vrash Cerene, a dragonborn Dragon Knight of the Arcane

The chosen children of Bahamut are the metallic dragons and their power is one of mighty forms and powerful magic. Those who follow the ways of the Platinum Dragon and have the blood of his children in their veins may join an old tradition of dragon-blooded warrior-mages who use the gifts of their forefathers to do battle with the enemies of Bahamut and all that is profane. These warrior-mages, known as the Dragon Knights of the Arcane, are devoted followers of the Platinum Dragon and they seek to use their gifts for the service of all under dragonkind. A loosely organized group, nearly all operate as independent knight-errants who take on squires from time to time to teach them their ways.

All dragon knights have the ability to spontaneously cast arcane magic, drawing predominantly from the ranks of multiclass sorcerer/paladins. Other combinations may exist, but they are as rare as mercy from a red dragon. Many of draconic blood, be they half-dragons, dragon descended, or dragonborn find that these skills complement the natural gifts that the Platinum Dragon has given them.
Hit die: d8

Requirements
Alignment: Lawful good.
BAB: +3
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 6 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks.
Feats: Devoted Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7153576&postcount=11), Draconic Heritage (any metallic), Mounted Combat
Spellcasting: Ability to spontaneously cast 1st level arcane spells.
Special: Must possess the divine grace class feature, must possess the summon familiar class feature, must worship Bahamut.

Dragon Knight of the Arcane
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells Per Day

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Devoted of Bahamut, call draconic charger|+1 existing paladin spellcasting/+1 existing sorcerer spellcasting

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Smite evil 1/day|+1 existing paladin spellcasting/+1 existing sorcerer spellcasting

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Draconic feat|+1 existing paladin spellcasting/+1 existing sorcerer spellcasting

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Armored mage (light)|+1 existing paladin spellcasting/+1 existing sorcerer spellcasting

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Dragonbane smite|+1 existing paladin spellcasting/+1 existing sorcerer spellcasting

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|Bonus feat|+1 existing paladin spellcasting/+1 existing sorcerer spellcasting

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5|Smite evil 2/day|+1 existing paladin spellcasting/+1 existing sorcerer spellcasting

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6|Draconic feat|+1 existing paladin spellcasting/+1 existing sorcerer spellcasting

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|Armored mage (medium)|+1 existing paladin spellcasting/+1 existing sorcerer spellcasting

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7|Draconic ascendancy, wrath of the Platinum Dragon|+1 existing paladin spellcasting/+1 existing sorcerer spellcasting[/table]

Class Skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill-Points per level: 2 + Intelligence modifier

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The Dragon Knight of the Arcane gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Devoted of Bahamut (Ex): Upon becoming a Dragon Knight of the Arcane, the new dragon knight gains some of the many blessings of dragonkind. He may add his Dragon Knight of the Arcane levels to his paladin level to determine his lay on hands ability, and he uses his sorcerer caster level to determine his caster level for his paladin spells. Due to possessing both levels in paladin and sorcerer (with the Devoted Mage feat), he may add levels from all three classes (dragon knight, sorcerer, and paladin) to the damage of his smite evil abilities.

Spells per Day: When a new dragon knight level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in his sorcerer spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class and his paladin spellcasting class he belonged to previously. He does not, however, gain any of this benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that he adds the level of dragon knight to his levels in both sorcerer and paladin, and then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly. If the character could not cast spells as a paladin, continue to add levels of Dragon Knight of the Arcane to his paladin level to determine his paladin spellcasting abilities.

Call Draconic Charger (Sp): At 1st level, the dragon knight may dismiss his familiar (at no XP penalty) and if he does he gains the ability to summon a mount from Bahamut’s celestial realm. This mount functions as a paladin’s warhorse as if he were a paladin with a level equal to his total paladin, sorcerer, and dragon knight levels. This mount, as it is blessed with the Platinum Dragon’s power, is granted the draconic template with a blood line equivalent to the same type as the dragon knight. At 5th level, this is upgraded to the half-dragon template. If the dragon knight does not dismiss his familiar, he does not gain this class feature until he chooses to do so.

Smite Evil (Ex): Once per day at 2nd level, a dragon knight may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack. He adds his Charisma bonus (if any) to his attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per dragon knight level. If the dragon knight accidentally smites a creature that is not evil, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up for that day. He gains an additional use of this ability at 7th level.

Draconic Feat: At 3rd level, the dragon knight embraces his draconic heritage further, gaining a bonus Draconic feat. He gains an additional bonus Draconic feat at 8th level.

Armored Mage (Ex): At 4th level, the dragon knight gains the ability to cast his sorcerer spells in light armor without suffering arcane spell failure. At 9th level this ability improves to include medium armor (or heavy armor if the character has the Battlecaster feat).

Dragonbane Smite (Su): As a devout servant of the Platinum Dragon, Bahamut gifts his followers with the ability to more easily defeat his ancient and enternal foe and her dark progeny. Whenever making a smite evil against an evil dragon or dragonspawn, you deal an additional 1d6 points of damage per two Dragon Knight of the Arcane levels to evil foes of the dragon type or any dragonspawn of Tiamat.

Bonus feat: At 6th level, the dragon knight may select any metamagic or draconic feat as a bonus feat.

Draconic Ascendancy (Su): At 10th level, the dragon knight has become blessed in the eyes of the Platinum Dragon, and his dragon blood awakens fully, granting him the dragon type (with any and all benefits and penalties associated with it). In appearance, he takes the form of something akin to a dragonborn. Should the dragon knight have additional racial hit dice, recalculate hit points, saves, base attack bonus, and skills in accordance to the character's new type.

Wrath of the Platinum Dragon (Ex): The pinnacle of the dragon knight’s training, he learns how to use his draconic abilities in harmony with his martial talent. The dragon knight may elect to quicken a spell or use his Draconic Breath feat (if he possess it) or breath weapon as part of a full attack action. He may use this a number of times per day equal to 1 + his Constitution modifier.

---

Adaptation: This class could be used in conjunction with either the Blackguard class or the variant evil paladin classes described in the Unearthed Arcana book for this class to work as elite champions of the evil dragon goddess Tiamat. Another adaptation would be to change the requirement from divine grace to indomitable soul and change the advancement of paladin spellcasting to the advancement of crusader maneuvers.

Pramxnim
2009-10-28, 03:16 PM
This sounds very cool and flavourful, ErrantX! A few things that I've noted:

1. There is a copy paste error in the Smite Evil section. You mentioned Choir Knight instead of Dragon Knight, must be that ol' Bard/Paladin PrC making a cameo ^^
2. Draconic Charger should be granted much earlier, otherwise your Mounted Combat feat will be pretty much sitting there unused for the most part of a PC's career, since mundane mounts pale in power level at the level range from 6-10 (which is where this PrC is situated). I would remove the need for the Sorcerer to have a familiar (as they have so many better alternative class features, and taking the Draconic Spellcaster substitution levels add even more flavour to the PC taking this class), and put the ability to receive the charger at the 1st level of this PrC, then granting it the Half-Dragon template at 5th level.
This way, the ability scales, you don't get a sudden power boost all at once, and the PC can make use of his/her Mounted Combat feat.

ErrantX
2009-10-28, 04:00 PM
Well, the reason I added the familiar in there was because I was eyeballing the Companion Familiar of the Arcane Heirophant, but I was thinking a half dragon mount would be too strong. Also, this class does take into consideration your sorcerer levels as well as your paladin levels and levels in dragon knight for figuring out you mount. I think, in the end, you're more than likely right in this regard. I will do some rearrangement here tonight. Thanks for catching that cut/paste error, I feel silly :smallredface: Could have sworn I edited that out when I snipped that from my Choir Knight.

My question is also does this class find really good synergy outside of the obvious Charisma synergy with Sorcerer and Paladin? The draconic feats, the Devoted Mage stuff as well as Devoted of Bahamut... I see Sorcerer adding a lot to paladin (which, yeah, needs it) but I don't see a lot of paladin adding to sorcerer, and that was one of my design issues when putting it together. I see sorcerer shoring up the weakness of paladin. Any thoughts? Is the dual spellcasting too strong? Are the class features too strong, too weak, not any good? I see ideal entry being Paladin 2/Sorcerer 3 (with the dragonblood subsitution level for optimal entry).

-X

deuxhero
2009-10-28, 06:49 PM
The class seems going for gish (Full BAB/Full caster entry, ignore ACF), but has med BAB? Major Features start to progress/stack only at level 5 (where they progress fullly)?

After the obvious (full BAB), start counting familiar/special mount as the same creature at level 1 (It's a PRC that you aren't going to be diping in because of it's nitche, prcs that require builds based around them shouldn't discourage entry), then apply half-dragon to the hybrid at level 5.

I'd suggest changing armored mage medium to note "if you have acquired Armored mage:medium already, this upgrades to heavy" (or such).

ZX670
2009-12-14, 01:54 PM
I see ideal entry being Paladin 2/Sorcerer 3 (with the dragonblood subsitution level for optimal entry).

I might be using this class in a friend's campaign he is starting up soon, but I'd like clarification on this line. Summon Familiar is a required ability but you say to take the dragonblood sub level for optimal entry. The dragonblood 1st level sub gets rid of the Summon Familiar ability. Did you put the summon familiar ability as a pre-req in on accident, or is your assessment of optimal entry incorrect?

In that line of thinking, IMO you should remove the need for summon familiar, and then I would agree with deuxhero's assessment that the class should get the mount at lvl1 and then get the half-dragon type added in later.

I would also agree with changing the wording to Armored Mage(medium). If the character takes the Battle Caster feat, they should be able to wear heavy armor after level 9 without incurring a spell failure chance.

ErrantX
2010-01-12, 03:37 PM
Okay, this is late in coming, but better late than never.

I've updated the class with suggestions made to me by several posters and PM's. Let me know if you think it's where it should be, I think that it is.

-X

Mando Knight
2010-01-12, 04:43 PM
If I had the materials necessary to get the feats & such (I don't actually have any 3.5 books), I would totally play this PrC.

However, a word of warning: This PrC is strictly stronger than Eldritch Knight, giving not only full BAB and full Arcane casting, but d8 HD and some actual class features. Not that that's bad, just that some DMs might not like it much...

ErrantX
2010-01-12, 05:11 PM
If I had the materials necessary to get the feats & such (I don't actually have any 3.5 books), I would totally play this PrC.

However, a word of warning: This PrC is strictly stronger than Eldritch Knight, giving not only full BAB and full Arcane casting, but d8 HD and some actual class features. Not that that's bad, just that some DMs might not like it much...

This is true, but look at the Knight Phantom PrC and the Abjurant Champion, the Jade Phoenix Mage. Those are all the new staples of Gish builds because they are strictly better than Eldritch Knight as they do the exact same thing (Full BAB and full casting or nearly) but better in every way. It's a game of progessively more potent sourcebooks, sadly. I'm just trying to keep up with the Jones'. If you could suggest a way to balance this down a little then?

-X

Mando Knight
2010-01-12, 05:24 PM
This is true, but look at the Knight Phantom PrC and the Abjurant Champion, the Jade Phoenix Mage. Those are all the new staples of Gish builds because they are strictly better than Eldritch Knight as they do the exact same thing (Full BAB and full casting or nearly) but better in every way. It's a game of progessively more potent sourcebooks, sadly. I'm just trying to keep up with the Jones'. If you could suggest a way to balance this down a little then?

-X

I wouldn't, since the Paladin needs some love. Just pointing out that any homebrew-leery DMs will look at it, jump straight to the Eldritch Knight, realize that this is strictly better, and say "Nuh-uh."

ZX670
2010-01-15, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't, since the Paladin needs some love. Just pointing out that any homebrew-leery DMs will look at it, jump straight to the Eldritch Knight, realize that this is strictly better, and say "Nuh-uh."

Pretty funny you mention Eldritch Knight, I showed my friend this class and he asked why I wouldn't choose Eldritch Knight over this, lol.

Will do a test build here soon and see how I like it.

ErrantX
2010-01-15, 10:25 AM
Pretty funny you mention Eldritch Knight, I showed my friend this class and he asked why I wouldn't choose Eldritch Knight over this, lol.

Will do a test build here soon and see how I like it.

Oh really? Why's that? I'm curious as to why he'd say that? Is it because this is spontaneous caster focused?

Let me know how the test build works out!

-X

DaTedinator
2010-01-15, 11:16 AM
I really, really like it. It's nice, flavorful, has great synergy, and is well-balanced. I'd critique the individual features, but I'd really only be nitpicking, it's solid.

Now, that said, I feel like it's a little too castery at the moment. As it stands, I could play a sorcerer, take a two-level dip into Paladin (which is not at all a bad thing to do, what with Divine Grace), and have full casting the rest of the way up, ending with 18 levels, and the ability to quicken a handful of 9th level spells every day. Don't get me wrong, the capstone is fine, I just feel like it might be prudent to lose a level or two of sorcerer spellcasting.

I mean, I could be overreacting; we do have the precedents of knight phantom and abjurant champion, after all, allowing a caster to go gish and still get 9th level spells. It's your call, I just feel like a teeny discouragement for full casters is in order.

ErrantX
2010-01-15, 11:39 AM
I really, really like it. It's nice, flavorful, has great synergy, and is well-balanced. I'd critique the individual features, but I'd really only be nitpicking, it's solid.

Well thank you sir, as a fan of your work as well that's pretty awesome to hear that.

Now, that said, I feel like it's a little too castery at the moment. As it stands, I could play a sorcerer, take a two-level dip into Paladin (which is not at all a bad thing to do, what with Divine Grace), and have full casting the rest of the way up, ending with 18 levels, and the ability to quicken a handful of 9th level spells every day. Don't get me wrong, the capstone is fine, I just feel like it might be prudent to lose a level or two of sorcerer spellcasting.

I mean, I could be overreacting; we do have the precedents of knight phantom and abjurant champion, after all, allowing a caster to go gish and still get 9th level spells. It's your call, I just feel like a teeny discouragement for full casters is in order.

True... but I made this to be an alternative to bouncing around Sorcadin builds, and to have a distinct draconic / Bahamuty flavor. I think Paladin casting is kind of a joke for the most part, so including it really doesn't upset the balance much. It could easily lose paladin casting and not suffer unduly from it. The standard sorcadin build grants +16 BAB and 18th sorc casting, so all this does it shortcut the need for excessive multiclassing. 2 Paladin / 3 Sorcerer / 10 Dragon Knight / 5 Abjurant Champion is pretty much what I expect to see with this sort of character. And that's alright with me.

Generally speaking, people who gish do so to gain the above stats, and if they don't get it with your class, they will get it with another. If a gish class doesn't do it, it had better rock hard (like Swiftblade). Otherwise, not worth the effort. That's just how it is from a CharOp perspective. I'm just cutting the middle man out.

-X

ZX670
2010-01-15, 03:39 PM
Oh really? Why's that? I'm curious as to why he'd say that? Is it because this is spontaneous caster focused?

Let me know how the test build works out!

-X

Yeah I think he was thinking of Wizard and not Sorcerer. He took another look and said this looks much better. :)

ErrantX
2010-01-15, 03:48 PM
Yeah I think he was thinking of Wizard and not Sorcerer. He took another look and said this looks much better. :)

Well good :smallbiggrin: If you do get to play it, I hope you'll pm me or post here how it goes with this class, I'd love to know!

-X

jiriku
2010-01-15, 04:14 PM
This is very nice. A very clear concept, and well-realized. I particularly like that it weaves together all three thematic elements: the draconic nature, the paladin features, and the sorcerer features.

Suggestions:
Devoted of Bahamut: should specify that DKoA levels stack with paladin levels for determining bonus smite damage.
Bonus Feats: put some good paladin bonus feats on the bonus feat list, such as Battle Blessing, Extra Smiting, and Swift Call, plus any divine feat (for the players who do pal 4/sor 1 entry).
Wrath of the Platinum Dragon: a beautiful ability, but it comes too late. Consider allowing limited use of a watered-down version of this ability at lower levels. For example, it could be used 1+Con times per day, to a maximum of 1/2 DKoA levels, to quicken a spell with a level no greater than 1/2 DKoA levels.

ErrantX
2010-01-15, 04:42 PM
This is very nice. A very clear concept, and well-realized. I particularly like that it weaves together all three thematic elements: the draconic nature, the paladin features, and the sorcerer features.

I appreciate you saying so, thank you. :smallbiggrin:

Suggestions:
Devoted of Bahamut: should specify that DKoA levels stack with paladin levels for determining bonus smite damage.
Bonus Feats: put some good paladin bonus feats on the bonus feat list, such as Battle Blessing, Extra Smiting, and Swift Call, plus any divine feat (for the players who do pal 4/sor 1 entry).
Wrath of the Platinum Dragon: a beautiful ability, but it comes too late. Consider allowing limited use of a watered-down version of this ability at lower levels. For example, it could be used 1+Con times per day, to a maximum of 1/2 DKoA levels, to quicken a spell with a level no greater than 1/2 DKoA levels.

1) The Devoted Mage feat (a feat I homebrewed) stacks paladin and sorcerer for lay hands and smite evil. The Smite Evil ability says they stack, but you're right, I should move it to Devoted of Bahamut. Good thinking.

2) If I do that, I may as well change the draconic feats as well to just include all metamagic, draconic, etc. I felt by limiting this it would add to the flavor. Is this too limiting?

3) I will think on this. I may change it. I dunno, will have to ponder that tonight.

Thank you!

-X

DaTedinator
2010-01-15, 07:27 PM
Generally speaking, people who gish do so to gain the above stats, and if they don't get it with your class, they will get it with another. If a gish class doesn't do it, it had better rock hard (like Swiftblade). Otherwise, not worth the effort. That's just how it is from a CharOp perspective. I'm just cutting the middle man out.

-X

Yeah, word. I suppose my qualms are more with power creep than anything else (and even that I'm generally okay with, it just catches me off guard sometimes), your class is great. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I'm all in favor of keeping the pally spells! I thought that was a really nice touch, letting them keep those and even buffing caster level. Sure, they'll mostly be sticking with sorcerer spells, but with battlefield blessing (or really, even without it) I could foresee being able to mix things up with a random pally spell here and there being a lot of fun.

jiriku
2010-01-15, 07:37 PM
I recommended the additions to the bonus feat list because a) every pally gish is going to want battle blessing, so you might as well make it easy to get, and b) if you offer battle blessing, it seems logical to offer other feats that would be of interest to a paladin.

You could leave it as-is. I suspect that it's a largely a matter of taste. Or perhaps you could distinguish them by making the 6th level feat a sorcerer- or paladin-appropriate feat, while the 3rd and 8th level feats are only draconic. Or you could go the other direction, and make the 3rd, 6th, and 8th level feats draw from a common pool of paladin, sorcerer, and draconic feats. Or the first could be draconic, the second could be paladin, and the third sorcerer! Hmm, nah, that's going a little too far.

Draconic Ascendency: In the unusual case where a PC with racial hit dice acquires draconic ascendency, will his racial hit dice retroactively be converted into levels of dragon, with the consequent change in hit die size, skill points, base attack, and saves?

Vaynor
2010-01-15, 07:53 PM
I really like the flavor of this class, and it seems like it would be rather fun to play. I've always been a fan of gish classes and paladin/sorcerer is something I haven't done. Awesome!

ErrantX
2010-01-16, 11:04 AM
Draconic Ascendency: In the unusual case where a PC with racial hit dice acquires draconic ascendency, will his racial hit dice retroactively be converted into levels of dragon, with the consequent change in hit die size, skill points, base attack, and saves?

Good. Question. I had not thought of that... that bears consideration! I will ponder this with my Wrath ability.

-X

ZX670
2010-01-18, 12:10 PM
You could leave it as-is. I suspect that it's a largely a matter of taste. Or perhaps you could distinguish them by making the 6th level feat a sorcerer- or paladin-appropriate feat, while the 3rd and 8th level feats are only draconic. Or you could go the other direction, and make the 3rd, 6th, and 8th level feats draw from a common pool of paladin, sorcerer, and draconic feats. Or the first could be draconic, the second could be paladin, and the third sorcerer! Hmm, nah, that's going a little too far.

I'd probably keep the feat list as it is personally. The character will be getting regular feats he can use on pally or sorcerer feats if need be. The class already gets some pretty nice abilities, so limiting the feats is probably a good idea, most other PrC's that grant bonus feats do not get the amount of other abilities that this one does from what I can recall, been a while since I've played 3.5 however.

ErrantX
2010-01-18, 12:23 PM
Clarified Draconic Ascendancy, decided to leave Wrath the way it was. The class has enough going on without pushing stuff around.

-X

Mikka
2010-01-18, 12:32 PM
This does what the paladin does only better, it does what the sorcerer does, while gaining armored casting abilities and quickened spells as parts of full attack AND bonus feats, just to make it a little better.

Its not at all balanced and is already based on the cheesy paladin + sorc = superb saves.

That said, the concept and the fluff of it is very good and such but this class is just really really really powerful, balance it by removing the + caster level at level one, and at level 10 and its MUCH more balanced and i'd probably allow it in my game, this doesn't ruin the concept or any of its funky abilities just means that it actually has a price to pay rather than being a complete no-brainer that ANY sorc/paladin MUST take.

Debihuman
2010-01-18, 03:35 PM
Shouldn't "servants of Bahamut" actually serve at the pleasure of Bahamut? I would take that to mean that any time a Dragon Knight fails in his or her duty or displeases Bahamut, he or she loses his or her special abilities and access to spells until he or she atones.

Debby