PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A Drow player took my offer to start with Abyssal Bloodiron weapons. Need ideas

Pika...
2009-10-29, 12:44 AM
So the player made a PC today for my campaign. The PC is a Drow Elf, and due to being a noble I allowed him the option of having his two blades be Abyssal Bloodiron for free. This is because in the fluff of my world about a century ago due to the events of the module Expedition to the Demonweb Pits Lolth angered the demon lords long enough to get a temporary alliance formed against her. This led to her being stuck in the Demonweb fending off the demon lords for decades, while the demon lords had their servants on the Prime Material open ports in and around Drow cities.

Basically, there were war spoils for those cities which survived. The noble houses of course getting the best/most of it.

So even though this is a low-magic game I allowed him the fireproof cloths (and homebrewed on the spot fireproof leather armor) made from demon beasts from the Planer Handbook, and I gave him the weapons "free". Get where I am going with this? :smallbiggrin:

So his weapons are a rapier and a short sword.

For the shortsword I was thinking the following:
It belonged to a succubus (I figured it would be the most appropriate demon for it). It will be very delicately decorated and colored.

Before she fell dead in the fighting (she helped spread chaos in the city before the hoards came, but was discovered during the combat) she transfered her essence into her blade.

The blade can technically revive her, but it needs MAGIC (again, a very low-magic setting) to do so. The trick is that the Drow rogue will need to kill a divine caster for the sword to work (aka it "absorbs" the magic cliche style). Just killing an adept will do the trick.

As for the rapier: I have no idea. Any thoughts?

Also, he rolled randomly and the fireproof clothes and leather armor is Retriever hide. Anything could possibly be done with this?

Zaydos
2009-10-29, 12:52 AM
Well if I remember my 2e fluff correctly (roll 1d20-2 vs DC X if it beats DC X I do if not I need to put more ranks in it) retrievers were made to hunt down demons as well as slaves, so the armor could get some power from being bathed in the blood of a demon.

As for the rapier if you have the Fiendish Codex it could have been a yochol's or a lilitu's. Or if you have the Manual of the Planes maybe a urizdu's (I think I spelled that right) just because they're rat demons and I associate rapiers and bipedal rats.

What book is Abyssal Bloodiron from or is it homebrewed?

Pika...
2009-10-29, 01:13 AM
Well if I remember my 2e fluff correctly (roll 1d20-2 vs DC X if it beats DC X I do if not I need to put more ranks in it) retrievers were made to hunt down demons as well as slaves, so the armor could get some power from being bathed in the blood of a demon.

As for the rapier if you have the Fiendish Codex it could have been a yochol's or a lilitu's. Or if you have the Manual of the Planes maybe a urizdu's (I think I spelled that right) just because they're rat demons and I associate rapiers and bipedal rats.

What book is Abyssal Bloodiron from or is it homebrewed?

The Abyssal Bloodiron is from the Planar Handbook.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-10-29, 01:18 AM
A Rapier is a finesse weapon. A weapon that requires speed and precision to wield well. I'm thinking a Babau.

arguskos
2009-10-29, 01:18 AM
A Rapier is a finesse weapon. A weapon that requires speed and precision to wield well. I'm thinking a Babau.
Or Shadow Demon. Maybe a rare Arrow Demon that actually trained in melee weapons (that'd be scary, btw)?

If it didn't HAVE to be a demon, then making it a dogai (assassin devil) would be perfect.

Pika...
2009-10-29, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the ideas of what the rapier can come from, but what should/could it do?

And the Retriever gaining power from being covered in demon blood might be nice. Not likely to see many, though. And I would not mind some negative effects as well.

Zaydos
2009-10-29, 01:26 AM
Maybe become intelligent as the number of kills it has racks up (i.e. at whatever rate you want probably related to level) allowing it to gain an Ego score, some neat powers which it can use at its choice to help (or hinder) the wielder based on how well he cooperates with its chaotic evil nature.

I like intelligent magic items.

Prak
2009-10-29, 01:28 AM
actually it'd make decent sense for the rapier to be the weapon of 'cubi, Incubi or Succubi, doesn't matter. The shortsword could well have been the sidearm of pretty much any demon.

Pika...
2009-10-29, 12:27 PM
actually it'd make decent sense for the rapier to be the weapon of 'cubi, Incubi or Succubi, doesn't matter. The shortsword could well have been the sidearm of pretty much any demon.

True.

I have sent the player the following images:

His rapier:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/Rapier_by_kyrio.png

His shortsword (one on right):

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/sword_by_oppaye.jpg

ps. Anyone have a prebuilt Succubus NPC? Perferably one with goals/plot? :smallbiggrin:

jiriku
2009-10-29, 12:59 PM
Give it fluff. The blade eagerly leaps from its sheath when drawn, and trembles in a very disturbing fashion when covered in the blood of those it has slain. It's very difficult to clean blood off the blade, almost as though it wants to remain bloody. The character who wields it often experiences disturbing dreams of battling drow while wielding the blade, and in his dreams he himself is a demon.

Hmm, and when he's around any drow it rustles in its sheath, as if encouraging him to draw the weapon and attack.

Pika...
2009-10-29, 01:06 PM
Give it fluff. The blade eagerly leaps from its sheath when drawn, and trembles in a very disturbing fashion when covered in the blood of those it has slain. It's very difficult to clean blood off the blade, almost as though it wants to remain bloody. The character who wields it often experiences disturbing dreams of battling drow while wielding the blade, and in his dreams he himself is a demon.

Hmm, and when he's around any drow it rustles in its sheath, as if encouraging him to draw the weapon and attack.

Oooohhhh. I like that. :smallbiggrin:

Should I throw secret taint checks into that?

Or better yet, I already deal with sanity checks in my game. What that be too much?

jiriku
2009-10-29, 04:53 PM
Well, sanity checks are cool, but on the other hand, he shouldn't regret having chosen the weapon. Just be sure that if it drives him insane, he goes nuts in an awesome way.