PDA

View Full Version : Master Transmogrifist

alexthemad
2009-10-29, 08:21 AM
Now, before you start bashing about it being cheesy etc...let me tell you that I know it already (and it's been approved by the DM). I am playing in a group of cheesy, optimized characters already, so this just adds to it. So...here's the question.

How do I optimize this class? What feats are needed? Is there a good race? With so many things to choose from, how in the world to I pick my favored shapes?

Eldariel
2009-10-29, 08:43 AM
I'll start by saying that it's a pretty poor class. Losing 4 caster levels while gaining abilities Shapechange would give you anyways is kinda eww, and the Competence-bonus to attacks kinda becomes trivial with you losing BAB like mad. If you're intent on playing it though, it's worth noting that most of its abilities are geared towards combat so you definitely want combat shapes. You also need to make yourself decent in combat; Arcane Disciple: ANYTHING WITH DIVINE POWER is a start. You could pick up 3 levels of Incantatrix to Persist it.

You also need to make sure you reach 9th level spells if you're playing that far, because Shapechange is by far the best Polymorph-effect and it's a 9th level spell. Not taking 10 levels is an option, but really, the 10th level ability is why you take the class, so something else would be more preferable. Off the top of my head, I can think of Loredrake Dragonwrought Kobold Sorcerer, who reaches 19th level casting by level 20 anyways. That's in the deeper end of the Broken Pool though and the only one I can think of right now.

Favored Shapes depend a lot; on level 8 of the class, you finally gain all Ex qualities so you can use them for utility, but until then you really just want basic stuff like movement modes and combat abilities. E.g. Hydra is a great combat form and Cloaker makes for a decent flyer with an array of great Cha-based Ex attacks (awesome for a Sorcerer), War Troll [MM3] is a fine combat form with hands (that only gets better with Ex abilities), Ironmaw [Fiend Folio] is a fine alternate combat form, Will-O'-Wisp is a nice scout and so on. Master of Many Forms Bible (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=639448) is surprisingly applicable since we're talking about the same list of shapes and a class that gains the ability to get Ex abilities of creatures he turns into.

But yeah, definitely try for Arcane Disciple and Incantatrix 3. Half BAB is ugly on a melee combatant which is what Master Transmogrifist really pushes, and Tenser's Transformation isn't worth even calling a solution.

And yeah, I suggest Dragonwrought Kobold base (though that means you can't take any Dragon-shapes as your Favored Shapes, which is sorta pity as they're some of the best flyers in the game) taking the Loredrake sovereign archetype from Dragons of Eberron and going through the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a). This gives you 3 extra levels of spellcasting, barely enough to get you 9th level spells during your non-epic career.

mostlyharmful
2009-10-29, 08:58 AM
I am playing in a group of cheesy, optimized characters

Then good luck, it violates the most important rule of practical optimization twice to give you a capstone that isn't as good as a spell you'll get anyway as a high level mage... seriously good luck.