PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel you were born in the wrong age and/or culture?

Pika...
2009-10-29, 08:51 PM
Probably an odd question, but do you ever wish you had been born in a different time period?

Also, do you ever feel you should have/wish you were born in a different culture/race (either in a different age or in the present)?

I myself often fantasize about dying in battle as a Norse believing my soul would be taken to Valhalla. In a time before Christianity or Atheism killed off those beliefs, and that culture. In an age where mythical creatures were believed to exist all around us. (Perhaps this was one of the things which lead me to D&D?)

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-29, 08:56 PM
Not really. I like our time, even if we are lacking in awesome melee-weapon-weilding awesome societies. The world could use some ninjas. And vikings, the badass upgrade to pirates.

And my best friend would make an excellent Victorian gentleman. I mean, he's one already. >.>

SDF
2009-10-29, 08:59 PM
I dunno, some real animals are pretty mythical and epic.

Race is as genetically arbitrary as being left handed and would only really come into play so you don't get shafted if you pick a certain historical era. Though, my favorite cultural historical period has been the American West from the 1860's to the 1890's. If I could choose any "when" it would be about 500 years into the future. As it stands I am enjoying the present.

Copacetic
2009-10-29, 08:59 PM
I would be kinda cool to be born a Victorian Gentleman. Or possibly a Viking. Or an Egyptian. Or a Cowboy. Or a WWII Pilot.

The list goes on and on.

Pika...
2009-10-29, 09:00 PM
Not really. I like our time, even if we are lacking in awesome melee-weapon-weilding awesome societies. The world could use some ninjas. And vikings, the badass upgrade to pirates.

And my best friend would make an excellent Victorian gentleman. I mean, he's one already. >.>

Well, I actually meant that norse thing a bit more seriously.

In a way I do feel I was born in the wrong culture/race, and I very, very often fantasize about such past times.

My current plans might even be to move to Iceland or some place like the Netherlands.

SDF
2009-10-29, 09:02 PM
Do you know the average lifespan of a WWII pilot? Not good. Of course my great uncle Robert Willis was in the RAF and shot down three times during the war, and survived it. He was also notorious for crash landing on one of Scotland's best golf courses and causing a bunch of damage during a practice exercise..

Anuan
2009-10-29, 09:04 PM
Either a Viking or a Norman, yeah. I can imagine myself in ancient China too though :smalltongue:

Trog
2009-10-29, 09:07 PM
The future. I want technology to race ahead so being born then would have been nice. Also I'd likely live longer due to medical advances. The past might be a fun place to visit/roleplay in but I wouldn't want to actually live there.

Culture-wise I like where I'm at. At the moment I just like the idea of sampling other cultures. Must be the American melting pot in me coming out.

skywalker
2009-10-29, 09:21 PM

In a way I do feel I was born in the wrong culture/race, and I very, very often fantasize about such past times.

My current plans might even be to move to Iceland or some place like the Netherlands.

Patton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patton) believed he was actually recalling past lives, when he had been, among other things, a Roman centurion.

I used to wish I had been born in like 1970-1975. Preferably earlier so as to see Star Wars in theaters (which I eventually go to do with the Special Edition), but I wanted to be a child of the 80s. Now I kinda like where I'm at. As far as culture... I've never felt like I was limited in what culture I could embrace. I've never wanted to be limited by a particular manner of looking at the world.

Scotland's best golf courses

Oxymoron? He probably improved it. :smallwink: No offense to Scotland, but I don't think there's a single Scottish course that American golfers would consider deserving of the word "best."

Blue Ghost
2009-10-29, 09:38 PM
Being a Christian in the CA Bay Area, in this time period, is hard. It's a depressing, harrowing time we live in. But would I give up my life for another? Probably not. Every time has its own troubles, and I will deal with my own as they come.

SurlySeraph
2009-10-29, 09:42 PM
I think I would have enjoyed the Middle Ages, what with all the fanatical moralism and religiousness, not to mention the interesting warfare. I would prefer to live in a Muslim country, especially early medieval Spain, for the actually-functional medicine, love of knowledge, and relatively low hypocrisy and superstition, but I'd be fine with Western Europe.

I kind of wish I'd been born poorer than I am, so I'd actually have to work for all the things I have. I feel guilty that I have so many things I haven't earned.

AshDesert
2009-10-29, 09:50 PM
I honestly wouldn't want to live in the past. Living in the present as a middle-class American, I live in more luxury with infinitely better health care than the richest man in medieval Europe. Honestly, the longer life span and almost incomparably better quality of life really makes me want to live in the future, as the trend seems to be toward longer, better lives. That, and technology advances in leaps and bounds yearly, and I'd be very intrigued to see how far we can push it in, say, 50 or 100 years.

Pika...
2009-10-29, 09:51 PM
Patton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patton) believed he was actually recalling past lives, when he had been, among other things, a Roman centurion.

Although I have a very scientific mindset to such things, it does not keep me from instinctively wishing it were true, and that I could possibly recall or even return to such a past life. The later would be nice. Just to be able to fade away into the times of yore. A second chance perhaps to please, or even save the Asgard? So many nice thoughts.

skywalker
2009-10-29, 09:55 PM
Although I have a very scientific mindset to such things, it does not keep me from instinctively wishing it were true, and that I could possibly recall or even return to such a past life. The later would be nice. Just to be able to fade away into the times of yore. A second chance perhaps to please, or even save the Asgard? So many nice thoughts.

You know, science doesn't particularly have to be at odds with that. Learned an interesting concept in Statistics today. When you have enough evidence to reject a hypothesis, it does not mean you prove the alternative. You merely reject the first one. And vice versa. I know that's not how the scientific community regards hypotheses, but I thought it was an interesting perspective nonetheless.

Pika...
2009-10-29, 09:57 PM
I honestly wouldn't want to live in the past. Living in the present as a middle-class American, I live in more luxury with infinitely better health care than the richest man in medieval Europe. Honestly, the longer life span and almost incomparably better quality of life really makes me want to live in the future, as the trend seems to be toward longer, better lives. That, and technology advances in leaps and bounds yearly, and I'd be very intrigued to see how far we can push it in, say, 50 or 100 years.

Well, "better" can be very subjective. In things like health care not really, but in things like "quality of life" that can be argued. Even today there are people who believe it is better to still live in the rain forests, in tribal communities, or even as people did a mere few centuries ago in the United States.

To live as a "wild" free "barbarian" in a world not yet fully explored, and pristine from industrial destruction and waste would be amazing for some of us. Yes our lives would be shorter, and even more so for those who die in battle (as I described in my OP), but for some that would be much "better".

Icewalker
2009-10-29, 10:00 PM
The future. I want technology to race ahead so being born then would have been nice. Also I'd likely live longer due to medical advances. The past might be a fun place to visit/roleplay in but I wouldn't want to actually live there.

Just about my thoughts, but I've got a bit more, potentially unreasonable optimism about technology. I think we're certainly close enough to the future that we'll be hitting those impressive advancements in life span and such. I intend to be part of their development.

Of course, Trog probably won't live to see it cause of the smoking and drinking. Sorry man.

Pika...
2009-10-29, 10:02 PM
Of course, Trog probably won't live to see it cause of the smoking and drinking. Sorry man.

Yes, he will surely be missed. :smallfrown:

Flickerdart
2009-10-29, 10:04 PM
Feel? No, I'm rather well-placed hereabouts. But I'd love to have been around during the turn of the last century, to muck about with the artistic upheavals of that time. Lots of great stuff, that. The wars, not so much.

Thes Hunter
2009-10-29, 10:11 PM
I constantly believe I am at least 10 years younger than I am....

I think that once I start thinking I am my real age, that is when I will start looking it. :smalleek:

BizzaroStormy
2009-10-29, 10:14 PM
Probably an odd question, but do you ever wish you had been born in a different time period?

You mean like...the 70's?

Trog
2009-10-29, 10:16 PM
You do realize that I do not actually smoke and rarely actually drink right? Trog the troglodyte is a character. :smallwink:

Alternate response:
That's okay. Trog wants to be gone before they outlaw smoking altogether anyway.

And troglodytes. *puffpuffpuff*

Argeus
2009-10-29, 10:22 PM
I like what I am now.

Although, if given another chance to roll the dice of nationality/time, I'd like to wear the shoes of Makoto Itou (yes, THAT Makoto (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SchoolDays)) for a month. Just a month.

Pika...
2009-10-29, 10:22 PM
You do realize that I do not actually smoke and rarely actually drink right? Trog the troglodyte is a character. :smallwink:

Alternate response:
That's okay. Trog wants to be gone before they outlaw smoking altogether anyway.

And troglodytes. *puffpuffpuff*

I so wish I could play your Trog alter-ego as a PC.

The Extinguisher
2009-10-29, 10:25 PM
I think 1920's would be cool.

But I love the present. It's full of wonderful technology, we're much more open now then we've ever been, and it's just fun.

90% of all the music I listen to was made in the present.

Pika...
2009-10-29, 10:27 PM
You know, science doesn't particularly have to be at odds with that. Learned an interesting concept in Statistics today. When you have enough evidence to reject a hypothesis, it does not mean you prove the alternative. You merely reject the first one. And vice versa. I know that's not how the scientific community regards hypotheses, but I thought it was an interesting perspective nonetheless.

That is what I secretly hope for.

Science says when I fall over after I fail that last Fort Save the chemical signals in my brain stop, and that is it.

However, I do not want it to be the case. No one does. But I'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Who knows, maybe the Asgard are still out there somewhere, and due to millennium of non-worship they will take anyone in even without the Norse blood. :smallbiggrin:

Mauve Shirt
2009-10-29, 10:33 PM
I'm pretty happy with where and when I was born. Well, not exactly, I feel I should have been born 3 months after I was born, but that's not the point. I pretty much like the present.

littlebottom
2009-10-29, 10:37 PM
there are many times i would of liked to have been born, late 60s so i grew up into rock and metal as it was born, for example.. BUT im glad i was born now because over all, i enjoy seeing the advancement of man, of technology, i love seeing brand new computers over 100 times more powerful that only 10 years back, but this kind of does mean that i would like to live forever for that purpose... not out of greed of wanting to never die, but to see forever more how humanity advances... am i weird?

Solaris
2009-10-29, 10:39 PM

Culture-wise I like where I'm at. At the moment I just like the idea of sampling other cultures. Must be the American melting pot in me coming out.

You pretty much nailed everything I was gonna say, Trog.

Feel? No, I'm rather well-placed hereabouts. But I'd love to have been around during the turn of the last century, to muck about with the artistic upheavals of that time. Lots of great stuff, that. The wars, not so much.

What makes you think future generations won't look back at the turn of the millennium the same way? To me, the present looks much like a past we've been through before.

there are many times i would of liked to have been born, late 60s so i grew up into rock and metal as it was born, for example.. BUT im glad i was born now because over all, i enjoy seeing the advancement of man, of technology, i love seeing brand new computers over 100 times more powerful that only 10 years back, but this kind of does mean that i would like to live forever for that purpose... not out of greed of wanting to never die, but to see forever more how humanity advances... am i weird?

Naw, I'm pretty much the same way. Vested interest and whatnot.

Dracomorph
2009-10-29, 11:13 PM
Science says when I fall over after I fail that last Fort Save the chemical signals in my brain stop, and that is it.

However, I do not want it to be the case. No one does. But I'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Who knows, maybe the Asgard are still out there somewhere, and due to millennium of non-worship they will take anyone in even without the Norse blood. :smallbiggrin:

Actually, all Science says about that idea is, "That's a non-falsifiable claim, and therefore cannot be analyzed scientifically."

You cannot disprove (or prove) an afterlife you cannot detect.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-29, 11:24 PM
I have long hair, a full beard, and dress in full chainmail vest everyday. I'll let you figure out my answer from here.

Solaris
2009-10-29, 11:26 PM
I have long hair, a full beard, and dress in full chainmail vest everyday. I'll let you figure out my answer from here.

... That you like dressing up like a SCAdian in the twenty-first century?
You'll win points if you forgo modern medicines, food, and hygiene. Until then, you got nothin'.

Berserk Monk
2009-10-29, 11:29 PM
... That you like dressing up like a SCAdian in the twenty-first century?
You'll win points if you forgo modern medicines, food, and hygiene. Until then, you got nothin'.

medicine: I only see doctors when I'm home from school and my mom schedules an appointment for me.
food: I'll eat anything I guess.
hygiene: I'm an art student.

Solaris
2009-10-29, 11:31 PM
medicine: I only see doctors when I'm home from school and my mom schedules an appointment for me.
food: I'll eat anything I guess.

In short, that's a (relieving) "No" on the full-blown medieval lifestyle. Nothing wrong with anachronism, friend.

Pika...
2009-10-29, 11:34 PM

From my experience female art students are the most...I am not sure how to put it, but I would not figure them as bad hygiene at all.

ps. Boy I wish I was artistic like you. For some reason artsy girls just have something about them which draws me in. :smallconfused:

skywalker
2009-10-29, 11:37 PM

You know you're not cool now that you don't smoke, right?

Also, they've already decided wine is good for you, and Guinness! I think the rest of the beer family is sure to follow the black stuff!

Actually, all Science says about that idea is, "That's a non-falsifiable claim, and therefore cannot be analyzed scientifically."

You cannot disprove (or prove) an afterlife you cannot detect.

Good science, yes. Bad science... Well, they talk about teapots (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russel%27s_teapot)...

EDIT:
From my experience female art students are the most...I am not sure how to put it, but I would not figure them as bad hygiene at all.

Oh, art students... Artists in general, for that matter...

AstralFire
2009-10-29, 11:38 PM
Oh god no. I love this ****. Cheeseburgers, computers, the idea that people can go into entertainment as a successful way of life, the decline of racism, being able to headbang to Michelle Branch at 7 AM on my way in to work in my little Daewoo.

I ****ing love this ****, screw the past.

Solaris
2009-10-29, 11:46 PM

Also, they've already decided wine is good for you, and Guinness! I think the rest of the beer family is sure to follow the black stuff!

I'm inclined to disagree. The fact that he crafted such a persona and hoodwinked y'all (even while clearly demonstrating the two different personae if you stalk and over-analyze people online like I do) seats him neatly in the cool book.

Oh, art students... Artists in general, for that matter...

C'mon, if we didn't have loony artists where would we get our cheap entertainment and inflated sense of self-worth from?

Alteran
2009-10-29, 11:47 PM
BUT im glad i was born now because over all, i enjoy seeing the advancement of man, of technology, i love seeing brand new computers over 100 times more powerful that only 10 years back, but this kind of does mean that i would like to live forever for that purpose... not out of greed of wanting to never die, but to see forever more how humanity advances... am i weird?

If you're weird, then we both are. (Yes you are weird.)

I wouldn't actually want to live /forever/, but I'm incredibly curious about what the future holds for us. Technological advancement is accelerating as time goes by, I feel it's unlikely that we'd even be able to grasp the concepts of the key technologies of the future. Going back 500 years, who could have possibly thought of the internet? There are simply so many steps between the technology then and the technology behind the internet now, predicting that path of advancement before it actually happened would be impossible.

Imagine the awe of a person in the 16th century if they knew what the world was like today. That's the awe I want to feel, to behold the wonders mankind's future achievements. If things keep going at the constant rate of pretty much overall improvement, the future will be an incredible place. Err, well. That's assuming we don't destroy the planet through global warming. >.>

I recently saw a poem that resonated with me in this regard, actually. It's called To a Poet a Thousand Years Hence (http://www.poetry-archive.com/f/to_a_poet_a_thousand_years_hence.html). It differs from my perspective in a few ways, mainly in the emphasis of humanity over technology. I care more about future technology than future people and art. I care about both, certainly, but I'm much more of a scientist than a poet. Still, the idea of reaching out to a future you'll never know is one I can relate to. I was disappointed when I learned that this poem was actually only written about 100 years ago.

I don't think I was born in the wrong age. The future may be incredible (or terrible), but overall I'm happy with the present. I don't want to live in the future, I want to know the future. A person who lived 500 years ago would be amazed by what we have today, much more than I am. I've lived with this, to me it's normal. I want to see what will be, from the perspective of whatever time I'm born in. I want to have my conceptions of the impossible shattered, to have my primitive worldview seen as backwards and obsolete. I never will, of course, not in that way. I'm a staunch believer in a lack of predestination, which makes these desires a bit frustrating at times. =P

Trog
2009-10-29, 11:48 PM
I'm afraid you've made the mistake of thinking I need anyone's approval to make me cool. :smallwink:

Alteran
2009-10-29, 11:50 PM
I'm afraid you've made the mistake of thinking I need anyone's approval to make me cool.

He's not disapproving, he's just telling you what's what. Smoking makes you cool, and not smoking makes you not cool. That is a fact.

(That is not a fact.)

AstralFire
2009-10-29, 11:51 PM
He's not disapproving, he's just telling you what's what. Smoking makes you cool, and not smoking makes you not cool. That is a fact.

(That is not a fact.)

Is that a fact?

Alteran
2009-10-29, 11:53 PM
Is that a fact?

Its unfactiness is indeed a fact. However, were you to inquire whether my initial statement was in fact a fact despite my subsequent denials of its factiness, I would have to reply in the negative. For a third time.

Solaris
2009-10-29, 11:54 PM
Gentlemen, I think you're confusing his Honor and his Glory stats.

AstralFire
2009-10-29, 11:55 PM
Is that a farce?

Trog
2009-10-29, 11:55 PM
Its unfactiness is indeed a fact. However, were you to inquire whether my initial statement was in fact a fact despite my subsequent denials of its factiness, I would have to reply in the negative. For a third time.
*has gone cross-eyed*

EDIT:

I'm inclined to disagree. The fact that he crafted such a persona and hoodwinked y'all (even while clearly demonstrating the two different personae if you stalk and over-analyze people online like I do) seats him neatly in the cool book.
GAH! I can haz stalker! :smalleek: :smalltongue:

EDIT #2:
I would like to live in the age of personal robots. Specifically at the moment I would like to live in the age of ones that will do laundry.

AstralFire
2009-10-29, 11:56 PM
*has gone cross-eyed*

Is that a face?

Alteran
2009-10-29, 11:57 PM
*has gone cross-eyed*

I'm like Vaarsuvius, except with science! :smallcool:

Or logic, maybe? Well, with not-magic, anyway.

AstralFire
2009-10-29, 11:58 PM
I'm like Vaarsuvius

Is that a fake? notsurehowlongIcankeepthisup

Alteran
2009-10-30, 12:02 AM

Is that frustration? Is failure imminent? Are you sure to flop?

Pika...
2009-10-30, 12:02 AM

Actually, two.

*huggles and snuggles the troglodyte*

I dare you to pull that off again...

AstralFire
2009-10-30, 12:05 AM
I dare you to pull that off again...

Is that a folly?

Pika...
2009-10-30, 12:07 AM
Is that a folly?

>.>

Pull it off again and I'll grant you a cookie.

Kallisti
2009-10-30, 12:08 AM
@the OP: Yeah, I think I'd take either future or Victorian, myself. The present I'm not so sure I like

@Astralfire et al.: Is that a frivolous, yet amusing, waste of time?

AstralFire
>.>

Pull it off again and I'll grant you a cookie.

Is that a food?

Ormur
Heck, no. I love the present, the relative tolerance and liberty, the infinite variations of pop-culture, the technology, the scientific advances. I've also often wondered about how lucky I was to be born in a peaceful advanced and liberal part of the world. Being killed and discriminated against for aberrant behavior or just your status in society doesn't sound like fun.

I'm a history student so I have some idea of how things actually were for most people. The romanticizing of the past is often just anachronism. I sometimes wonder if most of our ancestors wouldn't have been driven, what we'd call, insane by the conditions. Actually the upper classes that actually had a decent live probably shared that opinion. But I also know that I can never truly know how it was being born and growing up in superstitious and traditional cultures that lacked our earthly comforts. Perhaps our society just makes us insane in a different way but I still prefer what I know. People back then may have coped but we certainly wouldn't having been shaped by modern society.

Perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad being born a generation or two earlier (30's, 40's, 50's) knowing that most people at least had a decent life by then but even so there's still a lack of opportunities and tolerance that society has only recently embraced. On the other hand I don't know what the future holds in store either, things may get worse so maybe being young now isn't so good either.

There's a reason I prefer getting to know the past from books and romanticizing it through fantasy and role playing. It's fascinating of course but being born later just means you can draw from a lot more of it.

Alteran
2009-10-30, 12:09 AM
@Astralfire et al.: Is that a frivolous, yet amusing, waste of time?

For sure.wordswordswords

Kallisti
2009-10-30, 12:11 AM
For sure.wordswordswords

Is that a fan?

Pika...
2009-10-30, 12:11 AM
Is that a food?

Ouch. That was too easy.

>_<

Here, just take it and go:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff308/jayzee5035/CookieSmileyByIRML.png

Zeb The Troll
2009-10-30, 12:14 AM

Culture-wise I like where I'm at. At the moment I just like the idea of sampling other cultures. Must be the American melting pot in me coming out.Huh. I was gonna be all like "Yeah, Trog, you said it" until everyone else did it and now I need a new response so I'm gonna go with "I wish I were born in the 70's and could have seen Star Wars on first run."

*whispers are heard*

Someone did that too?

*more whispers*

Oh, right, I WAS born in the 70's. I rock. :smallcool:

skywalker
2009-10-30, 12:14 AM

I must protest. I am easily familiar with the two Trogs. (Oh dear, is that statement going to ruin my diplomatic relationship with one? Perhaps we weren't ready to move from a "one Trog" to a "two Trogs" policy?)

C'mon, if we didn't have loony artists where would we get our cheap entertainment and inflated sense of self-worth from?

I think you misinterpreted. Those were... Positive ellipses...

I'm like Vaarsuvius, except with science! :smallcool:

Or logic, maybe? Well, with not-magic, anyway.

As we just discussed (peripherally) "not magic" does not mean "science."

Alteran
2009-10-30, 12:19 AM
As we just discussed (peripherally) "not magic" does not mean "science."

I'm aware of this. At first I said "with science", as science is of personal interest and value to me. I realized then that my statement was at best marginally related to science, and that "with logic" might be better. Realizing that this was also not perfect, I decided to go with neither and just say "not magic". This means that I didn't need to think of a specific way to classify what I had said, but the statement of "Like Vaarsuvius, but with X [instead of magic]" could still be valid.

Trog
2009-10-30, 12:41 AM
I must protest. I am easily familiar with the two Trogs. (Oh dear, is that statement going to ruin my diplomatic relationship with one? Perhaps we weren't ready to move from a "one Trog" to a "two Trogs" policy?)
*wanders in smoking*
Well that depends...

*another Trog walks in from the opposite direction, patting himself down for smokes*

*the first Trog continues* Depends on whether you consider we ever even had a diplomatic... er... *notices the other Trog* uh... relationship. :smallconfused:

You have any smokes on ya?

Does Trog know you? You look strangely familiar somehow.

Trog gets that a lot. It's the green skin. Lots of people think Trog's the Hulk or something. *nabs the pack of Coffin Nails out of Trog's hand and lights up*

Well uh Trog hates to break it to you but uh HEY! Those were Trog's! Give those back. :smallmad:

Exactly. These are Trog's. *pockets the cigarettes*

*the first Trog looks back at the camera* Trog doesn't think the Two Trogs policy is going to work.

So... *drags off of cigarette and points to the first Trog* Is your head always that weird shape? *puffs*

Solaris
2009-10-30, 12:42 AM

... Shoot, all of my normal comebacks for that kind of a joke just get bone-chillingly creepy on the Internet.

I would like to live in the age of personal robots. Specifically at the moment I would like to live in the age of ones that will do laundry.

I thought that was what visiting your mother was for.
... What?

Vella_Malachite
2009-10-30, 12:54 AM
AstralFire: Is it bad that I found that more awesome that it really should have been?
I'm gonna say no. So much kudos to you, man. :smallbiggrin:

On topic:
Personally, I would have *loved* to have been born in the time of the Picts and the Gaels. Picts, if I had a choice. Their mythology and beliefs really grab me, and a culture whose warriors charged into battle stark naked *has* to have some awesome characters in it, right? :smalltongue:
Also, they had fairly good gender equality. Not perfect, but still better than many cultures around that time and even after.
So yeah, born at the wrong time. But, y'know, what can ya do?

Solaris
2009-10-30, 12:59 AM
AstralFire: Is it bad that I found that more awesome that it really should have been?
I'm gonna say no. So much kudos to you, man. :smallbiggrin:

On topic:
Personally, I would have *loved* to have been born in the time of the Picts and the Gaels. Picts, if I had a choice. Their mythology and beliefs really grab me, and a culture whose warriors charged into battle stark naked *has* to have some awesome characters in it, right? :smalltongue:
Also, they had fairly good gender equality. Not perfect, but still better than many cultures around that time and even after.
So yeah, born at the wrong time. But, y'know, what can ya do?

Take a shower.

Coidzor
2009-10-30, 01:11 AM
Yes. I feel I was born too early and that society hasn't really started to shed itself of the need to have a vast morass of disposable individuals who don't contribute to anything but their massive, buffer numbers but still had the potential to be full humans.

Also, some geopolitical stuff about one Human Family and exploring space hasn't been done as much as I'd like either. Mostly because I want to be part of that kind of frontier wave, even if I"m not some kind of adventurer or anything, even just being in the sciences involved...

Decoy Lockbox
2009-10-30, 01:15 AM
Part of me wishes I was a European military officer in the 18th century (and by extension, a nobleman). I've always just had a thing for that time period. But then I realize that disease/religious intolerance/racism was rampant. So the 18th century is a lot like the 21st century, except their military uniforms were far more colorful (http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4256/balaklava9dt.jpg).

Of course, there would be no D&D, no internet, and of course no metal music. But D&D would be doable with the tech level of the time, and baroque music was pretty dope, so I could deal with that. I think the major thing I couldn't deal with would be the head lice.

being able to headbang to Michelle Branch

I think you might be doing it wrong.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-30, 01:59 AM
*wanders in smoking*
Well that depends...

*another Trog walks in from the opposite direction, patting himself down for smokes*

*the first Trog continues* Depends on whether you consider we ever even had a diplomatic... er... *notices the other Trog* uh... relationship. :smallconfused:

Trog gets that a lot. It's the green skin. Lots of people think Trog's the Hulk or something. *nabs the pack of Coffin Nails out of Trog's hand and lights up*

Well uh Trog hates to break it to you but uh HEY! Those were Trog's! Give those back. :smallmad:

*the first Trog looks back at the camera* Trog doesn't think the Two Trogs policy is going to work.

So... *drags off of cigarette and points to the first Trog* Is your head always that weird shape? *puffs*

...Trog? You are one of my favorite people ever. *hugs mercilessly*

Vella_Malachite
2009-10-30, 02:04 AM
Take a shower.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you meant by this, and I don't want to take it the wrong way. Can you explain further, please?

golentan
2009-10-30, 02:15 AM
I've always longed for the age of sail. Not for the time period itself, but to be able to travel for months, visit parts of the world that hadn't been bureaucratized to death.

Economies of scale allowing tramp traders (off and on), and travel focusing on actual TRAVEL rather than feeling irritated by getting halfway across the world taking a full 12 hours.

I'd prefer, though, to take part in a true space age. I'd grab a solar sail, strap as much cargo as I could onto a frame, and go trading. Or maybe grab some mining equipment and go retrieve myself some platinum.

Sadly, there don't seem to be any tramp freighters left that can compete with the giant cargo liners or air freight anymore.

Cobra_Ikari
2009-10-30, 02:27 AM
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you meant by this, and I don't want to take it the wrong way. Can you explain further, please?

...I think what he was trying to say was "get naked". :smalltongue:

Remember, lots of armor = terrifying. Very little clothing = even more terrifying. :smallwink:

Pika...
2009-10-30, 03:27 AM
*wanders in smoking*
Well that depends...

But, but that is a form of suicide!

You need to love yourself...

loopy
2009-10-30, 03:44 AM
Well, seeing as I spent the first few days of my life with an artificial respirator keeping me alive in intensive care, no, I do not, for just a few short decades ago, I would have died shortly after birth.

I can see why other people would find such a question interesting, but I wouldn't have even survived into childhood, so it counts me out, haha.

thubby
2009-10-30, 03:56 AM
i sometimes wish i was born maybe 5-10 years before i was. i always get along with people older than me, and find the bulk of my generation contemptible.

KuReshtin
2009-10-30, 07:04 AM
Scotland's best golf courses
Oxymoron? He probably improved it. :smallwink: No offense to Scotland, but I don't think there's a single Scottish course that American golfers would consider deserving of the word "best."

I bet the feeling's mutual.

See, I tried biting my tongue and not replying to that gross, and most likely widely inaccurate, generalisation, but I just couldn't.
Especially since the reply you posted doesn't make sense at all.
The term "Scotland's best courses" refers to the Scottish courses compared to each other, at which point there will always be a 'best'.

Now then. On topic.
I'm pretty happy with the time and society I live in. There are parts of alot of other times and cultures that I've wanted to experience from time to time, but I'm pretty happy where I am.

Jack Squat
2009-10-30, 08:22 AM
I'd like to have been around in 1985. That way I could visit whatever time I wanted.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1027/757609629_508f24829d.jpg

Sneak
2009-10-30, 08:35 AM
Honestly, I feel like I was born in just the right time. Yes, I do find some cultures of antiquity very intriguing...but the truth is, well, I'm not very physically strong, I was born premature enough that I had to be kept in an incubator to survive, I had encephalitis for a time, and I just have a crappy immune system in general. In Roman times, chances are I would have died long ago.

I think I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out, considering. :smallwink:

Heliomance
2009-10-30, 08:38 AM
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v1980/175/45/596697385/n596697385_1998214_4965.jpg

^That's me, dressed how I normally walk around. Extrapolate from there.

Solaris
2009-10-30, 09:27 AM

But, y'know, what can ya do?
Take a shower.

Previous eras were notably lacking in hygiene we consider basic.

Gulaghar
2009-10-30, 10:21 AM
I listen to a lot of 80s rock music, but that doesn't make my want to be born then, thats what the internet is for, and as fun a pacman is I wouldn't want to give up modern gaming:smallbiggrin:

BizzaroStormy
2009-10-30, 10:26 AM
I listen to a lot of 80s rock music, but that doesn't make my want to be born then, thats what the internet is for, and as fun a pacman is I wouldn't want to give up modern gaming:smallbiggrin:

And why exactly would being born in the 80's deprive you of modern gaming? I know people in heir 50's that play videogames.

Unless by 80's, yo mean like, 80 million BC where Rock music was the sound of two rocks being banged together.

Fun Fact: Basically the same sounds it is today only the grunts are higher-pitched.

Gulaghar
2009-10-30, 10:31 AM
And why exactly would being born in the 80's deprive you of modern gaming? I know people in heir 50's that play videogames.

Unless by 80's, yo mean like, 80 million BC where Rock music was the sound of two rocks being banged together.

Fun Fact: Basically the same sounds it is today only the grunts are higher-pitched.

I mean that if I was the same age I am now except in the 80s

BizzaroStormy
2009-10-30, 10:53 AM
Yeah, you'd still get to have modern gaming, you'd just be 20 years older when it happened and more likely to be able to afford stuff on release day as well as the possibility of having the clika-clika of little gamer thumbs in the house,

Gulaghar
2009-10-30, 11:17 AM
Yeah, you'd still get to have modern gaming, you'd just be 20 years older when it happened and more likely to be able to afford stuff on release day as well as the possibility of having the clika-clika of little gamer thumbs in the house,

Too true you got me there.

Heh, clicka-clicka of little gamer thumbs.

AtomicKitKat
2009-10-30, 11:24 AM
I think I was either born 50 years too early, or possibly 50 years too late. Depending.

Quincunx
2009-10-30, 11:46 AM
I'd like to have been around in 1985. That way I could visit whatever time I wanted.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1027/757609629_508f24829d.jpg

It did not work that way. :smallfrown: (If so, I would've skipped 1986-7, along with a few others.)

Had I been born in the '60s and come of age in the '70s weirdness and activism, I would've flourished. Had I been born in the 1600s, I'd've been killed for the good of those around me. Plenty happy right where I am in time, thankyouverymuch.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-30, 11:55 AM
I think I'd have done well in the 50's. I like to think I'm a gentleman.

Trog
2009-10-30, 11:58 AM
Had I been born in the 1600s, I'd've been killed for the good of those around me. Plenty happy right where I am in time, thankyouverymuch.
Silly Quincunx, you wouldn't be killed. I mean you only weigh the same as a duck 'cause you're nothing but outline. :smallbiggrin: Though if you turned someone into a newt I'm afraid I can't help you much. >.> *goes back to being a 1600's peasant* :smalltongue:

WalkingTarget
2009-10-30, 12:00 PM
Alas, I was born too late to work in an environment where I could expect to get a job with a particular company and expect to remain there for an entire career but too early to enjoy a post-scarcity society where I wouldn't have to deal with work-to-survive in the first place. I rather dislike the corporate culture we have these days.

I'm only in my late 20's and I've been lamenting "kids these days" for far too long as it is, but I like my modern conveniences too much to want to go back more than, say, 50 years or so.

Rutskarn
2009-10-30, 12:10 PM
God no. I feel like every bone in my body, every cell in my brain, belongs exactly where it is. I live in an age of knowledge and culture the likes of which the world has never seen before.

To be honest, I think a lot of people (but not everyone) who claim that they "should have been born in the Middle Ages" have a brutally romanticized view of what life was like back then. I mean, it's not just the bad healthcare and the short lifespans, which everyone recognizes, nor the oppressive 99%-of-the-population-is-basically-a-slave systems of government. Murder and crime were common, everyday life and death was decided by forces beyond human control (and before you say it's the same today, I'm talking really decided by uncontrollable forces), and culture was a stagnant and dogmatic presence that focused on a few dim spots of brightness in a dark, dark universe. Pretty much every country was wrapped up in endless, inglorious, absurdly pointless wars with its neighbors.*

It was basically Warhammer 40,000, except without the chainsaws.

*No, this wasn't all of the Middle Ages, but a good chunk of it.

Destro_Yersul
2009-10-30, 01:01 PM
God no. I feel like every bone in my body, every cell in my brain, belongs exactly where it is. I live in an age of knowledge and culture the likes of which the world has never seen before.

To be honest, I think a lot of people (but not everyone) who claim that they "should have been born in the Middle Ages" have a brutally romanticized view of what life was like back then. I mean, it's not just the bad healthcare and the short lifespans, which everyone recognizes, nor the oppressive 99%-of-the-population-is-basically-a-slave systems of government. Murder and crime were common, everyday life and death was decided by forces beyond human control (and before you say it's the same today, I'm talking really decided by uncontrollable forces), and culture was a stagnant and dogmatic presence that focused on a few dim spots of brightness in a dark, dark universe. Pretty much every country was wrapped up in endless, inglorious, absurdly pointless wars with its neighbors.*

It was basically Warhammer 40,000, except without the chainsaws.

*No, this wasn't all of the Middle Ages, but a good chunk of it.

Clearly the solution is to bring chainsaws to the middle ages. Chainsaws and laser rifles. And then fight orks!

Solaris
2009-10-30, 01:01 PM
Clearly the solution is to bring chainsaws to the middle ages. Chainsaws and laser rifles. And then fight orks!

... I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought "We can fix that problem: Bring back chainsaws!"

Rutskarn
2009-10-30, 01:05 PM
http://chasness.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/army_of_darkness.jpg

Castaras
2009-10-30, 01:56 PM
Yes, No, Maybe.

Yes, musically I was born in the wrong time. I'm a 70s and 80s rocker over everything else.

No, I'm a computer kid. I need my computer.

So actually, no. There's people nowadays that still listen to the music I listen to. I need my computer to survive (:smalltongue:), and I'm happy.

Although...if we could get to the period in time where injections were replaced with those startrek things, that'd be where I would want to be...

Wolfbane
2009-10-30, 02:11 PM
I think I'd feel right at home as a Viking. I know they had short lifespans and prone to violent death, but with the chance of being able to go to Valhalla? It'd be the perfect afterlife for me. And when Ragnarok finally comes, fun times for all! :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2009-10-30, 02:39 PM
depends. could we be specific people? If not I'd want to be born roughly 10 A.D. and live until at least 34 A.D. the reasons of which would break board rules if mentioned.

Hazkali
2009-10-30, 02:45 PM
I would quite like to live in my romantic version of several time periods. Campaigning with legends like Marlborough or Wellington. Captaining a privateer vessel during the golden age of piracy. Listening to ballads sung in Saxon mead-halls. Boozing it up during the roaring twenties. Going on the Grand Tour. Courtly dances with Regency ladies, Victorian ladies, Edwardian ladies... the dresses were all fabulous.

Ultimately though, it's all a fantasy, a romance from the future. People in these times were still motivated by the same desires as we are, even if their cultural trappings were different. The clothes that I would love weren't anything special to them, because they were the norm. They weren't as ignorant or as quaint as we would like to think. They weren't as moral or as innocent either.

lord of kobolds
2009-10-30, 04:05 PM
I think about this almost every day. I'm not sure exactly when, but not now. I'm totally disillusioned with modern society, as I am a social outcast for being a nice person. I volunteer to help the librarian with shelving the books, and the other kids tell me to "get off my knees". I just want to live in a time when kindness was respected. I don't know what time period that would be, or evenn if such a society ever existed, but I know that my current surroundings just aren't it...:smallfrown:

good_lookin_gus
2009-10-30, 04:09 PM
I like how my working class parents were able to afford enough food to keep me healthy and sustain my physical growth. I like how my family didn't disown me, and the state didn't brutally murder me when I stopped believing in god. I like being able to study eastern martial arts in northern Massachusetts. And I like how nearly universal literacy guaranteed me the abilty to read about and romanticize different ages. Do I wish I was born in another time? Hell no. I doubt I'm descended from any royal lineage, so it's overwhelmingly likely that I would be living without any of the above.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-10-30, 04:14 PM
If I could live in my idealized vision of the sixties, I would give up the internet in a second.
Yeah, I went there.
I would give up the internet to be a rocker with flowers in my hair.

Solaris
2009-10-30, 04:22 PM
I like how my working class parents were able to afford enough food to keep me healthy and sustain my physical growth. I like how my family didn't disown me, and the state didn't brutally murder me when I stopped believing in god. I like being able to study eastern martial arts in northern Massachusetts. And I like how nearly universal literacy guaranteed me the abilty to read about and romanticize different ages. Do I wish I was born in another time? Hell no. I doubt I'm descended from any royal lineage, so it's overwhelmingly likely that I would be living without any of the above.

To be fair, I'm having a hard time thinking of any time period where the state did that.
In the Western world, anyways.

Vortling
2009-10-30, 04:24 PM
Personally I think a shift of being born 5-10 years later would be nice. That would put me squarely among the people who don't remember a time without high speed internet.

Jack Squat
2009-10-30, 04:30 PM
To be fair, I'm having a hard time thinking of any time period where the state did that.
In the Western world, anyways.

1478-1834 in Spain.

Rutskarn
2009-10-30, 04:40 PM
That wasn't even not believing in god. That was believing in a slightly different god.

We should watch this line of conversation, though, as it might wade into religious territory.

Solaris
2009-10-30, 05:29 PM
That wasn't even not believing in god. That was believing in a slightly different god.

We should watch this line of conversation, though, as it might wade into religious territory.

Good point.

Coplantor
2009-10-30, 06:18 PM
Well, let's see, pretty much everything I like regarding music comes from before the 90's... but it's not reason enough to say that I was born in the wrong age, no, I enjoy the modern life, I need my internet.

Culture, that's a whole different matter, see, I'm the result of the mixed efforts of three important figures raising me to become who I am today, my family, my school and the TV. I'm a product of the mass media, I was the only 10 years old making Al Gore jokes in school, I was aware of the current events around the world thanks to things like Pinky and the Brain.
And today it's even worst. I have a vast knowledge of a popular culture that is not my country's popular culture, see, I was excited about the release of A Nightmare Before Christmas on 3D! But in most of the social circles I find myself invloved, people had no idea of what that was, they didnt know about Jack the Pumpking King, and I actually showed an image of Jack to a friend of mine who replied "Oh, so you like an emo movie?".
Pretty much no one knows what a meme is, what Monty Python is, only a few geeks know, and only a few.
And I sort of dislike the figure of the typical uruguayan, that's pretty much why I dream of moving to London once I graduate from college.

Miley Ray Cyrus
2009-10-30, 06:27 PM
Yes, sometimes. I think I should have been born Asian, since people seem to keep mistaking me as Asian, yet I'm not. -.-

Coplantor
2009-10-30, 06:29 PM
Yes, sometimes. I think I should have been born Asian, since people seem to keep mistaking me as Asian, yet I'm not. -.-

Of course you are not, you are Hanna Montana :smalltongue:

Miley Ray Cyrus
2009-10-30, 06:34 PM
Of course you are not, you are Hanna Montana :smalltongue:

This is true. But people seem to hate me for it. :D

X2
2009-10-30, 06:39 PM
Oh yes... many of my favourite movies are from the 80s and my all-time favourite video game console was the NES so...

20 frickin years too late...

chiasaur11
2009-10-30, 06:43 PM
Nah. I mean, every era has virtues, but now?

Now is THE FUTURE!

THE FUTURE, man. Kids from the 50s would kill to be living in THE FUTURE.

Coplantor
2009-10-30, 06:44 PM
This is true. But people seem to hate me for it. :D

What's to hate about a girl who is Billy Ray Cyrus daughter?
I'm a bit tired of some of her songs, but that's my little cousins fault, they are huge fans of her...

Eldariel
2009-10-30, 06:45 PM
I'd love to live 200 years in the future. Then I could be cracking jokes about today and we'd already either be ****ed or saved by tech so no worrying about that. Though honestly, this time is plenty good.

Miley Ray Cyrus
2009-10-30, 06:46 PM
What's to hate about a girl who is Billy Ray Cyrus daughter?
I'm a bit tired of some of her songs, but that's my little cousins fault, they are huge fans of her...

I actually don't know why she seems to have such a hate crew. I know she's sort of an idol, but I don't see the point in so much hate. If anything I'd think more people would hate Megan Fox.

chiasaur11
2009-10-30, 06:48 PM
I'd love to live 200 years in the future. Then I could be cracking jokes about today and we'd already either be ****ed or saved by tech so no worrying about that. Though honestly, this time is plenty good.

200 years from now, Mars will be in full on violent revolt, death cyborgs will still be in occasional use, and some computers will go insane.

So much for your much vaunted not laser based technology.

Coplantor
2009-10-30, 06:50 PM
I think it's because she's like the current age Britney, singing girl idols get a lot of hatedom, I hated britney when I was 10, now I have oops I did it again on my mp3.

Back on topic, the future will be awesome, I have to take care of my body so I can live long enough to have my brain transplanted into a robotic body and live forever.

SDF
2009-10-30, 07:12 PM
Well she does abuse autotune, which is destroying the current music industry, and a huge disservice to people with talent.

Come to think of it there are one or two things about my current culture I'd like to change.

RandomNPC
2009-10-30, 08:06 PM
You mean like...the 70's?

No man... like... the early 70's

AshDesert
2009-10-30, 08:08 PM
Nah. I mean, every era has virtues, but now?

Now is THE FUTURE!

THE FUTURE, man. Kids from the 50s would kill to be living in THE FUTURE.

Eh, kids in the 1950's thought that by 2010 we'd be living on Mars and be branching out in the galaxy, so I doubt many of them would be satisfied with us now (just look at all the curmudgeon 60 and 70 year olds).

Coplantor
2009-10-30, 08:17 PM
Excuse me? Have you ever payed atention to the freaking cellphones? Show that to a 50's kid and you will blow his mind. And the internet, let's not forget about the internet.

Jack Squat
2009-10-30, 08:19 PM
But we aren't living on Mars, so clearly we're a bunch of good-for-nothing slacking whippersnappers :smallwink:

chiasaur11
2009-10-30, 08:22 PM
But we aren't living on Mars, so clearly we're a bunch of good-for-nothing slacking whippersnappers :smallwink:

Considering how Mars always becomes a war between anarchist rebels and evil megacorps, I figure they'd understand. We dodged a bullet there.

Lupy
2009-10-30, 09:21 PM
Here and now.

The part of the world I live in is at war, but far away against weaker countries, and there is religious, racial, and gender equality. Medical care is amazingly advanced and I can instantly communicate with anyone in the world. I can practice any religion and no one can persecute me, I'm getting a free education, I have access to thousands of books. If I wanted I could go anywhere in the world within 24 hours. In the future I could visit the moon.

100 years ago I would have been the child of wealthy immigrants. I would have been able to send a letter to anyone in the United States and they would have gotten it in within two weeks. Medical care was unbelievably bad, I could well have died of Diphtheria or small pox. I would have been discriminated against for my race, and my religion (which would have differed then from now). I could have gone anywhere in the world in a few months. I would have had access to thousands of books, but a more limited selection than today. I could never leave the Earth.

1000 years ago I would have been persecuted or killed for my race and religion. My parents would likely have been farmers or craftsmen in Judea. Medical care at the time could not have cured almost any disease. I would probably be able to read the Torah, and maybe the Talmud. I could travel anywhere in Judea in a few weeks, and anywhere in the ancient world in a few years.

Seems like an obvious choice to me. :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2009-10-30, 09:25 PM
Definitely feel I am in the wrong culture. :smallannoyed:

Trodon
2009-10-30, 09:38 PM

That is awesome.

But yes I do feel like I was born in the wrong era, I love swordplay so much if I had the money and was older than 16 I would like to travel the world learning different fighting styles and techniques. Not sure what era that would be but it is one that I would love.

skywalker
2009-10-30, 10:25 PM
Yes. I feel I was born too early and that society hasn't really started to shed itself of the need to have a vast morass of disposable individuals who don't contribute to anything but their massive, buffer numbers but still had the potential to be full humans.

Also, some geopolitical stuff about one Human Family and exploring space hasn't been done as much as I'd like either. Mostly because I want to be part of that kind of frontier wave, even if I"m not some kind of adventurer or anything, even just being in the sciences involved...

So you dislike a large amount of people ("vast morass of disposable individuals"), but you also want us to be "one Human Family?" I'm not sure those add up...

I bet the feeling's mutual.

See, I tried biting my tongue and not replying to that gross, and most likely widely inaccurate, generalisation, but I just couldn't.
Especially since the reply you posted doesn't make sense at all.
The term "Scotland's best courses" refers to the Scottish courses compared to each other, at which point there will always be a 'best'.

I was more playing to the fact that Scottish courses (where golf was invented, and frankly, where Americans are sometimes too... wussy to play) sometimes aren't the prettiest places compared to the typical American course, especially those in Hawaii and other year-round sunny places.

I actually think American golfers tend to be coddled and spoiled by their courses. I like Scottish courses, but they aren't the prettiest in the world.

If I could live in my idealized vision of the sixties, I would give up the internet in a second.
Yeah, I went there.
I would give up the internet to be a rocker with flowers in my hair.

It just looks so fun! All that love flowing and on display... I'd like to go there too...

I actually don't know why she seems to have such a hate crew. I know she's sort of an idol, but I don't see the point in so much hate. If anything I'd think more people would hate Megan Fox.

Fox is so much hotter, and so much more legal.

Faulty
2009-10-30, 11:26 PM
It's impossible to be born into the wrong age. Any traits you have that you associate with a certain age, you have merely picked up yourself, and identifying with them wholly is futile.

I can't think of a society or culture past or present that particularly makes my heart skip. The closest things existed in brief moments (Spain during the Spanish Revolution). I think it's rather perfect. It gives me the opportunity to work with things.

Yrcrazypa
2009-10-31, 05:43 PM
Other than hating all of the music that's been made in the past 20 years? I think I was born in the right time. I'm as much a gamer as I am a fan of good music, and as cool as it would be having the opportunity to hear, say Queen, in concert, I'd rather live with the fact that most of the bands I like aren't releasing anything new, or if they do it turns out to not be as good. Especially since I still have a good five decades to draw from of good stuff.

And besides, if I was born in the 50s so I could hear all the music I like as it starts, I wouldn't get to play half of the games I've loved for way too long.

RandomNPC
2009-10-31, 08:56 PM
I say i'd go for about 600 years ahead of now. I want to see whats next.

AshDesert
2009-10-31, 10:26 PM
Well, I've been thinking about this for the last couple of days (damn thought-provoking forum posts), and I feel like I should have been born in 1950. That way I could grow up with the music I love, and I would definitely give up our modern conveniences to be able to see The Beatles, or Cream, or Jimi Hendrix, or any other number of great bands live in concert just once. Plus, seeing Star Wars in theater would have been amazing.

Miklus
2009-11-01, 12:33 PM
I think I would go for the 50's too. Nice cars and nice music. People where polite and well dressed. Women had pointy bras and cooked all day. :smallcool:

1968-1970 ruined everything! :smallsigh: People became smelly hippies, lazy whiney and unambitious.

AshDesert
2009-11-01, 02:59 PM
I think I would go for the 50's too. Nice cars and nice music. People where polite and well dressed. Women had pointy bras and cooked all day. :smallcool:

1968-1970 ruined everything! :smallsigh: People became smelly hippies, lazy whiney and unambitious.

Um... that's the romanticized 50's. In real life, men were encouraged to be heavy drinkers and smokers (cancer-riffic!), and domestic abuse was rampant.

Also, the hippies were pretty much just beatniks (the counterculture youth of the 50's and early 60's) that started experimenting with large quantities of a certain, non-board appropriate chemical.

However, the music and cars of the 50's and 60's were great, and I would've loved to have grown up as these things were emerging. It's not like they didn't have problems back then, just different problems than today (though that goes for every time period you could want to look at other than the future).

Redpieper
2009-11-01, 06:34 PM

Why would you want to move to the Netherlands? It's pretty dull all things considered. :smallsigh:

As for me, I like the time I'm in now, it suits me fine.
Plus of course, if I was born in a different time/different culture, I'd be raised differently.
Which would mean I wouldn't really be me, or at least I'd be radically different from the me that is now.
And I like the me that is now, instead of the me that could be.

So yeah, I'm happy in the now.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-11-01, 08:00 PM
Yes, I wish my soul had waited to be born until a Trek-like utopia in which I wouldn't have to put up with taxes, obscenely high insurance premiums, toothaches, colds, daylight dumb@ss time or James Vanderbeek.

skywalker
2009-11-01, 09:01 PM
Yes, I wish my soul had waited to be born until a Trek-like utopia in which I wouldn't have to put up with taxes, obscenely high insurance premiums, toothaches, colds, daylight dumb@ss time or James Vanderbeek.

Does it make you feel like busting up a Starbucks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhy8gQ8vuR0&feature=related)?