PDA

View Full Version : Why is the cake a lie?

pendell
2009-10-30, 07:00 AM
Not a deep philosophical question, it's just that I've seen the phrase everywhere and I'm wondering what the deal is. I mean, yes, I get it's a major subtheme of the game Portal. I get that it's a constant theme running through the game. Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=the+cake+is+a+lie) explains all I need to know.

What I don't get is why everybody says it. I mean, come on, this isn't the first time this idea's cropped up. What makes this such a meme?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Thufir
2009-10-30, 07:04 AM
What I don't get is why everybody says it.

Because it's a meme.

What makes this such a meme?

It is not for us mere mortals to comprehend the inner workings of the internet.

Green Bean
2009-10-30, 07:06 AM
It's easily repeatable, involves something internet popular (like ninjas, cats, or yes, cake), and is easily worked into normal conversation. More importantly, Portal is funny, and there's nothing we like more than being funny, especially if someone else has to do the writing.

Eon
2009-10-30, 07:11 AM
how do you pronounce meme? i have been meaning to ask for awhile...

Totally Guy
2009-10-30, 07:14 AM
The answer fits a general rule about properties of systems. This is not the first time I've used this comparison but it is the first time I've considered it as part of the meme phenomenon.

A telephone is an invention that is useless if there is only one. So why would the first person buy one? It's a system that becomes better the more people join in.

Same applies to money, the english language, D&D editions, soccer vs. american football and computer operating systems. Compatibility with other users is the primary requirement

I'm going to suggest the the meme line is popular because it's popular. And the more people there are that recognise the meme the better it is at doing it's job of being recognised as a meme.

Edit: I used to say "Mem-may" but real life conversations resulted in me changing it to "Meem".

Thes Hunter
2009-10-30, 07:17 AM
Oh Sky cake....

And to link the reference from You Tube would be a no no, because it is not only religion but also tons of bad language.
Why are you so delicious!

Nameless
2009-10-30, 07:18 AM
The irony is that the cake isn't a lie.

blackfox
2009-10-30, 08:41 AM
Because it's four words and you can remember it. :smalltongue:

WalkingTarget
2009-10-30, 09:30 AM
Edit: I used to say "Mem-may" but real life conversations resulted in me changing it to "Meem".

The words meme and memetics were intentionally chosen to be analogous to gene and genetics, so I go with "meem" (IPA [ˈmiːm]) personally.

But the true dessert is sky pie! Die infidel!

Eldan
2009-10-30, 09:43 AM
Wait... you pronounce genetic with a long [i:]? Weird.

WalkingTarget
2009-10-30, 09:48 AM
Wait... you pronounce genetic with a long [i:]? Weird.

No, I pronounce "gene" with a long [i:] so "meme" gets the same vowel.

"Genetics" gets [ε] for the first vowel and so does "memetics".

Cubey
2009-10-30, 10:13 AM
What makes this such a meme?

Because people are stupid and annoying, and so is this meme, so they go together.

Sorry, I'm not a misanthrope most of the time. But this meme gets the worst out of me. There was a time when you couldn't mention cake without at least several folk going "the cake is a lie!". So. Annoying. This meme should be forgotten. Destroyed. Its remains recycled into smarter memes. Because you'd be hard pressed to find a dumber one.

And I pronounce "meme" as "meh-meh".

Gulaghar
2009-10-30, 10:16 AM
I don't think the cake is a lie, it tastes pretty good:smallwink:

Silence
2009-10-30, 12:02 PM
Because it's a meme.

^This is truth.^

BritishBill
2009-10-30, 12:10 PM
It may be a lie, but its rather delicious.

Lord Seth
2009-10-30, 12:14 PM
Because people are stupid and annoying, and so is this meme, so they go together.

Sorry, I'm not a misanthrope most of the time. But this meme gets the worst out of me. There was a time when you couldn't mention cake without at least several folk going "the cake is a lie!". So. Annoying. This meme should be forgotten. Destroyed. Its remains recycled into smarter memes. Because you'd be hard pressed to find a dumber one.

And I pronounce "meme" as "meh-meh".Candle Jack is dumber. That is by far the dumbest meme ever, because it's not funny at all, and it takes what was actually a hilarious joke and completely butchers it. People who use the Candle Jack meme are possibly on a lower level of humor than Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg, astonishingly.

Of course, I just know someone's going to respond to this post by mindlessly repeating the Candle Jack meme, as if that would somehow magically make it funny. News flash: It doesn't.

The vowel in meme is pronounced the same as the vowel in "gene" incidentally, as someone pointed out.

Gerrtt
2009-10-30, 12:16 PM
It may be a lie, but its rather delicious.

And moist!

Lappy9000
2009-10-30, 12:52 PM

Sorry, I'm not a misanthrope most of the time. But this meme gets the worst out of me. There was a time when you couldn't mention cake without at least several folk going "the cake is a lie!". So. Annoying. This meme should be forgotten. Destroyed. Its remains recycled into smarter memes. Because you'd be hard pressed to find a dumber one.Have, or have you not, played P0rtal? :smallwink:

Candle Jack is dumber. That is by far the dumbest meme ever, because it's not funny at all, and it takes what was actually a hilarious joke and Fixed it for you.

SurlySeraph
2009-10-30, 12:56 PM
Candle Jack is dumber. That is by far the dumbest meme ever

Objection! Advice Dog is far worse than Candle Jack.

ZeroNumerous
2009-10-30, 01:00 PM
Of course, I just know someone's going to respond to this post by mindlessly repeating the Candle Jack meme, as if that would somehow magically make it funny. News flash: It doesn't.

No, someone will respond to your post with the Candle Jack meme just to annoy you, because that's what memes do--Wait, someone's at th

Cubey
2009-10-30, 01:14 PM
Have, or have you not, played P0rtal? :smallwink:
I did. It doesn't make the meme any less annoying. If anything, it makes it even more annoying because the cake is NOT a lie.

Also, it hurts the game. Portal is full of witty lines and incredible hilarity, but the general populace seemed to latch into one particular phrase, mindlessly repeating it over and over and washing it off any humorous potential it had.

Zanaril
2009-10-30, 01:15 PM
Because it's a meme.

Everyone says it because it's a meme, and it's a meme because everyone says it?

Haruki-kun
2009-10-30, 01:19 PM

And I pronounce "meme" as "meh-meh".

Candle Jack is dumber. That is by far the dumbest meme ever, because it's not funny at all, and it takes what was actually a hilarious joke and completely butchers it. People who use the Candle Jack meme are possibly on a lower level of humor than Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg, astonishingly.

The vowel in meme is pronounced the same as the vowel in "gene" incidentally, as someone pointed out.

Why so serious?

Gulaghar
2009-10-30, 01:23 PM
Mmmm, deceitful cake. *Drools*

Cubey
2009-10-30, 01:25 PM
Why so serious?

Because I like good memes. Like the one you just used. Bad memes hurt me.

tyckspoon
2009-10-30, 01:27 PM
Everyone says it because it's a meme, and it's a meme because everyone says it?

'tis the nature of a meme, yes. Although it actually starts because there is some notable seed of originality, humor, insight, or other worth in there.. after that, it goes viral and the reasoning for its popularity goes circular.

Lappy9000
2009-10-30, 01:37 PM
Because I like good memes. Like the one you just used. Bad memes hurt me.Well, for example, I really don't like the "Why so serious?" meme. But I don't let it bug me because memes are not Serious Business.

And if P0rtal was called Cake Quest or something of the like, the phrase would actually hinder the game. As it stands, I would argue that it doesn't.

Tirian
2009-10-30, 01:40 PM
I did. It doesn't make the meme any less annoying. If anything, it makes it even more annoying because the cake is NOT a lie.

GLaDOS' statement that "Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test" was intended to be a lie, and the Hermit evidently had enough perspective to know that. I think that his raving scribblings should be interpreted as "What you have been told about the cake is a lie", not "There is no cake". (I'm not even perfectly certain that we weren't being lied to when they showed us what appeared to be a cake in the endgame. Given the in-game recipe, it would be barely edible, much less "delicious".)

Anyway, it means that the actual reward for doing something turns up to not live up to the hype. Especially in the realm of computer games, it turns out to be a statement with many opportunities to use it. (Of course, Portal itself turned out to have one of the most awesome endgames ever.)

KilltheToy
2009-10-30, 01:40 PM
This is why. (http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=4113)

Catch
2009-10-30, 01:58 PM
What I don't get is why everybody says it. I mean, come on, this isn't the first time this idea's cropped up. What makes this such a meme?

Besides Monty Python quotes went out of style, and there was a vacuum for a phrase that would instantly telegraph which people were mush-minded, unoriginal clods.

Think of this as a public service, folks: It's not funny and neither are you.

Candle Jack is dumber. That is by far the dumbest meme ever, because it's not funny at all, and it takes what was actually a hilarious joke and completely butchers it.

Candlejack is group humor, and it's almost a game, rather than a repeatable meme. It's at it's funniest when the initiated fail at playing along, or the old and crotchety complain about how "CANDLE JACK IS A STUPID FORCED MEME AND ALL OF YOU ARE NE

Cleverdan22
2009-10-30, 02:05 PM
To the OP, its specifically became a meme because it was such an awesome and defining part of the game, finding those little "crazy-huts" as I called them, in the levels.

Also, to everyone else: All memes are exactly as funny/unfunny as every other meme.

Lord Seth
2009-10-30, 03:07 PM
Basically, this is the thing about memes: Your joke cannot simply be the meme. What I mean is, if your joke is "Look! It's that thing I'm aware of!" then it's not funny. Now, memes can easily be funny. If you pull them off in an unique way, if you use them in an unexpected context, or if you have a good enough set-up to them, they can be funny. For example, let's take the "cake is a lie" meme. It's not funny if someone throws it out on the Internet because you're expecting it on the Internet, but when Chowder used it, it was actually pretty funny because a television series is one of the last places you'd expect to see a meme used, so it managed to work.

One of the best things I can think of as an example of how to use memes and be funny with them is Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series. Watch that for ways of using memes well.

Also, to everyone else: All memes are exactly as funny/unfunny as every other meme.The reason I find Candle Jack to be particularly unfunny when compared to other memes is because it's the exact same thing every single time. Someone writes his name, then trails off. There's never any variation, and it telegraphs the punch line for you with the set-up. As soon as the word "Candle Jack" is seen it's clear they're going to invoke the meme, and as a result it's not funny. Other memes (as I noted) can be used in creative ways, but I have yet to see the Candle Jack meme used in any way other than the lazy, Seltzer/Friedberg-ish way. It was used well on Freakazoid, but I should note that the episode didn't use the meme. The episode had a genuinely funny joke about Candle Jack grabbing people that the writers were smart enough to vary throughout the episode to keep it funny, whereas the meme is taking that joke and removing everything that made it funny in the first place.

Totally Guy
2009-10-30, 03:37 PM
Ending a line with bitch... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0396.html) Is that a meme?

I'm not certain if its some kind of remnant of the old "I'm Rick James, bitch" line. Even the Juggernaught from X-men got some of that action.

Haruki-kun
2009-10-30, 04:08 PM
Ending a line with bitch... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0396.html) Is that a meme?

No... that-s just a form of speech. Meme would be more of a catchphrase.

Totally Guy
2009-10-30, 04:29 PM
Is "Legos" a meme?

Lots of people say it. But is it because it sounds funnier than lego? Or is that just how they say lego?

Moff Chumley
2009-10-30, 05:36 PM
Because silly Americans don't get that not all plurals have to end in S?

*Note: Chumley is an American.

CrimsonAngel
2009-10-30, 05:37 PM
Objection! Advice Dog is far worse than Candle Jack.

NO! Don't say Candle Jack's na

Dracomorph
2009-10-30, 05:40 PM
Is "Legos" a meme?

Lots of people say it. But is it because it sounds funnier than lego? Or is that just how they say lego?

Because "Lego bricks" is awkward, so it got shortened. It's just a plural.

Moff Chumley
2009-10-30, 05:41 PM
Wa wa waaaaa...

XD

Stormthorn
2009-10-30, 05:44 PM
Besides Monty Python quotes went out of style, and there was a vacuum for a phrase that would instantly telegraph which people were mush-minded, unoriginal clods.

Because only mush minded clods would apreciate both the absurdist humor of Monty Python AND the dark sarcasm of Portal....

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-30, 07:29 PM
But surely, nobody expects the spanish inquisition in this sort of a thread...

On topic, however, this thread is proving my theory that, no matter how inane and brainless a meme has become, you cannot stop people using it by reasoned argument against it. Note the way in which references to (and arguments against) the candle jack meme in particular were misquoted to invoke the meme (which I agree has no originality in its forum based execution).

My only advice on how to stop (or at least slow down) a meme you dislike is this:

Do not respond to the meme, for responding grants the meme-user (henceforth to be referred to as the Meme-slave) the attention they crave. Do not contest the issue openly, for the Meme-slave will win. Instead, avoid the meme-slave, forcing them to chase after your attention. If need be, forcing the meme-slave to highjack several threads and draw the ire of the powers that be, should it take all of that for the meme-slave to get the message.

ZeroNumerous
2009-10-30, 07:45 PM
Do not respond to the meme, for responding grants the meme-user (henceforth to be referred to as the Meme-slave) the attention they crave. Do not contest the issue openly, for the Meme-slave will win. Instead, avoid the meme-slave, forcing them to chase after your attention. If need be, forcing the meme-slave to highjack several threads and draw the ire of the powers that be, should it take all of that for the meme-slave to get the message.

Quite simply: You are wrong.

Carefully, I shall explain why.
A meme is not halted, slowed or even affected by your refusal to play along. Nor are you a vital cog which the meme needs to function, no. Don't believe that your input or interaction is necessary for the continued survival and usage of the meme. Letting yourself think otherwise is an act of hubris on an unimaginable scale. Essentially because you are one person in a sea of faceless millions. Just because you think a meme sucks doesn't mean everyone does. All of us take something as an in-joke; the idea that the meme is funny. Cause it is. Kittens and lolcats are al

Eon
2009-10-30, 07:47 PM

Think of this as a public service, folks: It's not funny and neither are you.

Candlejack is group humor, and it's almost a game, rather than a repeatable meme. It's at it's funniest when the initiated fail at playing along, or the old and crotchety complain about how "CANDLE JACK IS A STUPID FORCED MEME AND ALL OF YOU ARE NE

Monty Python quotes are never out of style!!!!!!

also Candy Jack?

Pyrian
2009-10-30, 07:50 PM
To paraphrase the Daily Show: It's important to realize that your vote is not useless. It is worth 0.000000000167%. :smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2009-10-30, 08:07 PM
On topic, however, this thread is proving my theory that, no matter how inane and brainless a meme has become, you cannot stop people using it by reasoned argument against it.

That's because giving people a reasoned argument why they shouldn't quote a Meme is on the same level as walking up to them and yelling "STOP HAVING FUN, GUYS!"

People are exerting their right to say these Memes because they find it fun and they want to be as silly as they want because it makes them laugh. And they make each other laugh. If you don't find it funny, you don't have to join in.

And before anyone says "I'm not saying people don't have the right to...", don't. I'm perfectly aware that nobody implied people don't have the right to. However, you did just imply that they shouldn't, even if they have the right to, for the sake of not being silly.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-30, 08:13 PM
However, you did just imply that they shouldn't, even if they have the right to, for the sake of not being silly.

Slight correction, I agreed with somebody's outright statement that a particular meme should not be used. Not the same thing as implication.

Haruki-kun
2009-10-30, 08:22 PM
Slight correction, I agreed with somebody's outright statement that a particular meme should not be used. Not the same thing as implication.

You outright said it, then. No better.

Kjata
2009-10-30, 10:04 PM
I've never heard the meme outside of this website or tvtropes. In fact, I had never even heard of Portal.

Thajocoth
2009-10-31, 01:27 AM
The cake is not a lie.

I'm not spoilering this because it's far too well known at this point.

In the game Portal (great game), GLaDOS tells you that when you're done, there will be cake. Along the way, there are segments that say:
"The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie..."
In what's basically horror-scrawl on the wall. Not in blood or anything, just the way it's positioned and the font and stuff. Always 4 lines, always the same exact text. Occasionally, it appears with two sets of the 4 near enough to one another that the last drawn line of line 4 of the 1st merges into the first drawn line of line 1 of the 2nd.

After all the tests, GLaDOS tries to incinerate you. You escape and she says that's what she wanted you to do and that the incineration was a test, and that you'll be brought to the cake now.

You eventually find and attempt to kill her. You think you succeed, but some of her spare AI spheres awaken in the room with the cake. Which you see in the cutscene. It exists. You, however, don't get any cake. You leave the complex (and take the Portal gun with you).

It became a meme because the game is so awesome and it's the only fragment people could easily take to the internet. Well, that and the companion cube, which has also been brought to the internet. You can't make a meme out of "That room with the rotating energy pellet shooter, 5 turrets, the energy-activated switch, the electrified water and the switch-activated moving platform that took me forever to figure out but was so worth it." or "That room with the platforms like stairs going up around the electrified water, but you were constantly falling and had to keep changing which step your step is connected to at the apex of your upwards fall becoming a downwards one that ended with a diagonal step that launched you across half the top of the room into the exit doorway."

Klose_the_Sith
2009-10-31, 02:04 AM

You can't just say lego? :smallconfused:

Thajocoth
2009-10-31, 02:24 AM

People don't want to use a singular plural. Moose being it's own plural is enough for most to avoid the topic of moose altogether, and usually screw it up when they do talk about moose. "Meese" "Moosen", and the most popular: "Mooses". People say "Mooses" to refer to multiple moose more often than it's actual plural ("moose").

So a Lego is a single lego block. Multiple blocks are collectively Legos. And, really, it's starting to lose it's capitalization, becoming separated from the company that makes them. Better Blocks, for example, are a type of legos. Neither the makers of Better Blocks nor the Lego Corporation would agree on that, and obviously Lego purists will be very defiant on the topic, but that won't stop thousands of people from calling them legos anyway.

Zanaril
2009-10-31, 05:59 AM

I though 'Lego' was plural for anything related to Lego bricks since it's the company name. :smallconfused:

And normally when you refer to Lego, you're talking about it in general.

horngeek
2009-10-31, 06:45 AM
The Cand-

*whacks the guy sneaking up behind him*

Well, basically my opinion is the same as some of the others. You won't stop a meme by argument, because memes are specifically silly.

Tengu_temp
2009-10-31, 06:55 AM
By the way, I'd like to point out that meme does not mean "a silly phrase from the internet". To paraphrase wikipedia, a meme is a unit of cultural information that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another. Memes are an integral part of human culture, and a lot of things you hear are really memes.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-10-31, 07:05 AM
People don't want to use a singular plural. Moose being it's own plural is enough for most to avoid the topic of moose altogether, and usually screw it up when they do talk about moose. "Meese" "Moosen", and the most popular: "Mooses". People say "Mooses" to refer to multiple moose more often than it's actual plural ("moose").

So a Lego is a single lego block. Multiple blocks are collectively Legos. And, really, it's starting to lose it's capitalization, becoming separated from the company that makes them. Better Blocks, for example, are a type of legos. Neither the makers of Better Blocks nor the Lego Corporation would agree on that, and obviously Lego purists will be very defiant on the topic, but that won't stop thousands of people from calling them legos anyway.

Interesting as that is, that's just because of some people rejecting language rules instead of the way it should be.

Real men say 'lego'.

EDIT: You never say 'a lego' cause that just sounds daft.

YesImSardonic
2009-10-31, 07:33 AM
Interesting as that is, that's just because of some people rejecting language rules instead of the way it should be.

Real men say 'lego'.

EDIT: You never say 'a lego' cause that just sounds daft.

I'm fairly certain "pork" sounded daft to the English swineherds who first used it. The word was "swine." It would always be "swine."

Actually, using Latin in a Germanic context is pretty much always ridiculous (another silly Latin word).

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-31, 08:06 AM
Actually, using Latin in a Germanic context is pretty much always ridiculous (another silly Latin word).

Except of course that the romans did conquer parts of Germany during their period of dominance.

Tirian
2009-10-31, 08:26 AM

"Why don't you play with your Lego?"

So, I'm thinking that sounds sillier than what I'm saying now.

Mercenary Pen
2009-10-31, 08:35 AM
"Why don't you play with your Lego?"

So, I'm thinking that sounds sillier than what I'm saying now.

Nope, sounds perfectly normal to me. Probably only sounds silly because you aren't used to saying it that way.

Black_Pants_Guy
2009-10-31, 08:53 AM
Legos sounds a whole lot better if you don't use a long 'a' sound.

I like "Leg-oes" over "Lay-goes".

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-10-31, 10:57 AM
I'm fairly certain "pork" sounded daft to the English swineherds who first used it. The word was "swine." It would always be "swine."

Kind of like how English farmers who raised the animals would stick with their words like cow and chicken when their Norman overlords who ate them were using French words like cochon, boeuf and poulet. As a result, the words we use for the animal became different than the words we use to describe the meat (poultry and beef).

History of the English Language for the win!

AstralFire
2009-10-31, 11:32 AM
There is no such thing as a good meme; there is no such thing as a bad meme. At least not in the limited definition of a humorous pop culture reference. Sorry to break it to you, but Candle Jack, Why So Serious, Lolcats, the Cake is a Lie and Chuck Norris are all as stupid (or brilliant) as one another. The humor really comes from having a good sense of comic timing and originality in order to weave the familiar in with the unfamiliar.

Slavishly repeating "Why so serious" is not any different from doing it with "the cake is a lie" - the only reason the latter got more popular than the former is that the former resonates with fewer things to people who hadn't seen or didn't enjoy the movie, while 'the cake is a lie' sounds like a more inherently ridiculous statement and triggers 'silly conspiracy theorists!' associations.

Catch
2009-10-31, 12:03 PM
There is no such thing as a good meme; there is no such thing as a bad meme. [...] The humor really comes from having a good sense of comic timing and originality in order to weave the familiar in with the unfamiliar.

This is generally the outsider's perspective, but it's too general to be completely true. Timing certainly helps, but a lack of versatility or inherent humor cripples most memes, which is why cat macros have become completely guileless and formulaic. Cat + misspelled caption = anti-lulz (and the "lolcats" moniker doesn't help at all). Conversely, a generally unfunny meme (Advice Dog, desu, Seaking) can be used creatively for humorous purposes, which is, as you suggested, indicative of a person's own sense of humor.

However, there are some jokes that are, by nature, funnier than others, which follows with internet humor. Utilization always matters, so idiots reposting/repeating the same tired garbage do ruin it for the rest of us, but comedy relies on material just as much as it does on delivery. If you have nothing in your repertoire that's actually funny (like Dane Cook), decent delivery won't save you. Some jokes have been used to death, others are too esoteric or specific.

Humor requires good material and creativity.

AstralFire
2009-10-31, 12:18 PM
I consider understanding a reference to be overused and too expected as part of 'delivery' - sometimes you might have to wait a decade to tell a joke for it to be funny - but you're very correct. I just was amused by the assertion that "this meme is dumb but this other meme that I like isn't," when I find them both equally insipid.

And god, cat macros. I laughed, once, in 2004.

Black_Pants_Guy
2009-11-01, 01:19 AM
the only time I found Advice Dog funny was back when I quit school. the day after I left I found a picture saying "Stay in School; Bring a Gun."

Needless to say; it was mad-cool.:smallamused:

Dracomorph
2009-11-01, 01:44 AM

Why do shaped plastic bricks merit an exception to standard English grammar?

Less sarcastically, when I say "Lego," I could either mean a single brick or a corporation. I don't need to overload that word any further, so why would I?

Heliomance
2009-11-01, 07:43 AM

Everything else does, why should shaped plastic bricks be any different?

Alteran
2009-11-01, 09:45 PM

The name Lego is derived from the Danish phrase "leg godt", which means "play well". Lego could certainly be considered a Danish word, or at least non-English. I think it would be fair to make it an exception, especially since we already have so many exceptions in words that are unquestionably English.