PDA

View Full Version : (ToB) Ideas for an Arcane Discipline?

Golden-Esque
2009-10-31, 01:17 AM
In the Tome of Battle, the book slightly hints to the possible existence of a Discipline that combines Arcane magic with skill with the sword.

I'm currently working on a variant Warmage, and a discipline such as that would be perfect. Does anyone know if such a discipline exists, and if not, does anyone have any ideas for such a discipline, or a site that gives a good process for homebrewing and balancing a Martial Discipline?

arguskos
2009-10-31, 02:20 AM
Contact Krimm, Demented, and Fax for aid here. They've all created more than a few Disciplines, and could probably aid you somewhat.

Ziegander
2009-10-31, 04:28 AM
Long ago I made the Abjurant Champion and Phantasmal Opus disciplines. The first was littered in Force effects and the second with Illusion effects. They had new rules for Spell-like maneuvers (such as being able to be counterspelled and negated by Anti-Magic fields).

Would you be interested in a discipline that literally seeks to combine spells and maneuvers though? Such as a discipline that somehow truly incorporated spell slots?

Haven
2009-10-31, 04:40 AM
I think Desert Wind is supposed to be the "Arcane" discipline. Shadow Hand too maybe.

(Not that you can't or shouldn't go further with it, mind.)

Chrono22
2009-10-31, 05:00 AM
I'm playing a warblade right now and intend to take the rest of my class levels in duskblade.
Perhaps the duskblade would be a good stand-in for an arcane discipline?

Eldan
2009-10-31, 07:17 AM
Perhaps make it more of an antimagic discipline, with dispelling strikes, ways to counter concealment/miss chances, some kind of freedom of movement stance, ways to reflect spells back at the caster and so on? On higher levels, he'd need ways to counter scrying, celerity, time stop and a few others, at least.
You know, just something to kill of annoying casters who think they are batman.

Edit: You know what? I think I might try and do that.

DracoDei
2009-10-31, 01:06 PM
I am pretty sure I have seen at least one discipline that required spellcasting on these boards, but it doesn't seem to be listed in the compendium.

I did find this one that mimics some clerical abilities, including Turn Undead, and Remove Poison(but without the long-term protection effect): Holy Word (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71422).

Golden-Esque
2009-10-31, 05:40 PM
Follow this link to see what I've come up with :D. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130202)