PDA

View Full Version : A number of questions/clarifications 3.5

Sharkman1231
2009-10-31, 11:43 PM
I had a number of funny thoughts and I was wondering what other people thought, so here some of them are:

1. The Tarrasque is a magical beast with 3 int, I was wondering if I could give it class levels... ("The Tarrasque enters a mighty rage...")(Hmm, does it need to have a teacher?)
2. I really want to nerf Spirited Charge, It's like getting a critical with every attack, and they (my players who charge) get a good bonus to attack.
+12 BAB, +5 Str, +3 weapon,+2 charge
I dunno... a wizard can do 72 fire damage with a Maximized Scorching Ray...
3. Does a max-str two-weapon ranger totally rock?
4. Can I do something to make half-elves better? They really suck compared to the other base races.
5. Can an undead barbarian rage? I think it would last 3 rounds b/c their lack of con, but since they can't get fatigued, could they then rage again?

Please answer any, I just wanted all these in a single thread instead of makeing multiple.
Thanks for any/all input. :smallsmile:

NoldorForce
2009-10-31, 11:53 PM
Perfectly legal. Whether it's reasonable depends on which class and who's doing the training, if anyone.
How's the mount surviving in combat if it's not a class ability? Beyond low levels, mounts are terribly squishy - or expensive - if they're not class-granted. Overall, Spirited Charge is good but not game-breaking, considering that a charge against a desired opponent is trickier than you'd think to pull of. And the increased damage is not all that great without other, more potent shenanigans.
No. Rule of thumb: TWF is a terrible way to go if you can't get appreciable bonus damage. And damage from a Strength score is not appreciable bonus damage without cheese like Consumptive Field. (MWF is another story, of course.)
Someone else likely has a better answer, but a start would be to grant them their option of the human bonus feat or the human bonus skill points.
All of what you've described is legal. And suboptimal without Extended Rage.

Tyndmyr
2009-10-31, 11:54 PM
1. I guess you *could*....but it likely wouldn't make much sense, or be terribly necessary.
2. Don't nerf the meleers. Fighters deserve nice things too, and good charge damage is one of the few things they get.
3. No.
4. Yes. I suggest giving them the bonus skill points a human receives in addition to their usual bonuses. Definitely not overpowered, and since they lose some of the elf bonuses due to being a half elf, they *should* get some of the human benefits.
5. I don't see why not. Not having a con score makes the rage less useful, but more damage is still more damage.

Tavar
2009-11-01, 12:01 AM
1. The Tarrasque is a magical beast with 3 int, I was wondering if I could give it class levels... ("The Tarrasque enters a mighty rage...")(Hmm, does it need to have a teacher?)
Technically, yes, you can. And needing a teacher is purely a optional rule anyways.

2. I really want to nerf Spirited Charge, It's like getting a critical with every attack, and they (my players who charge) get a good bonus to attack.
+12 BAB, +5 Str, +3 weapon,+2 charge
I dunno... a wizard can do 72 fire damage with a Maximized Scorching Ray...
Eh. It's melee, it requires charging(a situational attack) and being mounted( mounts are generally very weak).
Additionally, spellcasters doing damage is generally their weakest option, and spell casters can get much stronger than melee. I'd leave it as it is.

3. Does a max-str two-weapon ranger totally rock?
Nor really. TWF is generally weak in 3.5, especially without bonus damage of some kind (SA or the like, FE is too situational). Generally, THF is the best style of melee combat to use.

4. Can I do something to make half-elves better? They really suck compared to the other base races.
Give them the human skill bonus for starters.

5. Can an undead barbarian rage? I think it would last 3 rounds b/c their lack of con, but since they can't get fatigued, could they then rage again?

Right on both counts.

herrhauptmann
2009-11-01, 12:14 AM
Could some crazy idiot cast 'awaken' on the tarrasque? If so, that's all you need.
After it's intelligent, it can start acting with a purpose, whatever that purpose is.

Sharkman1231
2009-11-01, 12:22 AM
Could some crazy idiot cast 'awaken' on the tarrasque? If so, that's all you need.
After it's intelligent, it can start acting with a purpose, whatever that purpose is.

It already has a 3 inteligence, so it has sentience.

My spelling sucks...

Also another idea:
6. If a spellcaster got swallowed by the tarrasque, wouldn't the carapace ability no longer apply because they are on the inside? (They still would have to make a big concentration check and overcome SR)

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-01, 12:22 AM

Int 3 is already enough to take class levels for a normal PC.