PDA

View Full Version : The Endless Dungeon

Tyndmyr
2009-11-01, 03:35 PM
So, I had an idea. No, no, don't run behind the blast doors...it's not one of those ideas this time, I promise.

It's simple really. A pbp solo dungeon. A very, very large solo dungeon, which absolutely anyone can enter. Or rather, everyone will be in an identical solo dungeon, if that makes sense. Start at level one, and merrily fight your way through. Death is unfortunately rather permanent at low levels, but such is life.

Everyone starts out at level one, and we see how they make out.

Gralamin
2009-11-01, 03:46 PM
So, I had an idea. No, no, don't run behind the blast doors...it's not one of those ideas this time, I promise.

It's simple really. A pbp solo dungeon. A very, very large solo dungeon, which absolutely anyone can enter. Or rather, everyone will be in an identical solo dungeon, if that makes sense. Start at level one, and merrily fight your way through. Death is unfortunately rather permanent at low levels, but such is life.

Everyone starts out at level one, and we see how they make out.

Hmm, interesting. I'd take it one step further though (And make it work in Real life).

The one thing that is consistent is the layout of the rooms. Every other player acts as a committee GM, choosing what sort of encounters the player will face. Strictly speaking, everyone is a player in this scenario.

The goal is to cope with the unknown scenario, and escape. Preferably the map would have 3 escapes (One in each of the other Corners), and there would be a trick based on other encounters of how to get out.

It'd be interesting, but long.

As a pbp, your idea could work though.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-01, 03:49 PM
Hmmm, I was thinking about randomization tables for the encounter, but voting could be amusing too(All those for "herd of rust monsters", speak up!).

I'm gonna start drafting up a recruitment thread.

Kobold-Bard
2009-11-01, 04:00 PM
I'd quite happily play this. I love an old fashioned dungeon crawl, and one that lasts until you die sounds like fun.

Tyndmyr
2009-11-01, 04:19 PM
Nifty, tossed up a recruitment thread at http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7232837#post7232837

I'll kick some maps up onto my server later today for the beginning areas.

Cool, got enough material prepped to start, anyhow. =)

Jothki
2009-11-01, 05:37 PM
Basically a tabletop roguelike?

Tyndmyr
2009-11-01, 05:43 PM
Basically, just happens to use the D&D ruleset.

Of course, roguelikes and RPGs have always been a bit tied together.

Mando Knight
2009-11-01, 06:41 PM
and we see how they make out.

Not very easily, if they're all in separate rooms. :smallamused::smalltongue:

Tyndmyr
2009-11-01, 07:39 PM
Im sure there's a spell for that. =)

Omegonthesane
2009-11-02, 10:20 AM
Im sure there's a spell for that. =)

Astral Projection?

t_catt11
2009-11-02, 10:47 AM
Bow chicka bow bow!

bosssmiley
2009-11-02, 11:23 AM
...we see how they make out.

In before "I put on my hat and wizard robe." :smallamused:

What's the template for the creation of this dungeon? The random dungeon creation tables in OSRIC might be a help.

Dekkah
2009-11-02, 11:52 AM
Maybe you should check out the dnd 3.5 adventure book : The world's largest dungeon.
Even tough i didnt really ever completed it, it is decent for the purpose of hack and slash.
Tt might save you a lot of time (if only for the maps).