PDA

View Full Version : Simple slashing weapon...

Tyger
2009-11-02, 09:22 AM
other than a sickle?

I am playing a Bard (soon to be Lyric Thaumaturge) with Weapon Finesse and (soon) Snowflake Wardance. SW requires the weapons to be slashing weapons held in one hand... based on my limited analysis of the bardic weapon proficiencies, that means either a longsword (non-finessible), sickle (how lame is that?? I am not a druid!) or dagger (which could work).

Are their any slashing, simple, finessible (not sure that is actually a word) weapons in any splat book that I haven't found? So long as its WotC, its likely OK with the DM.

Wereling
2009-11-02, 09:27 AM
It isn't simple (it's exotic), but if you're willing to take a feat I think the Crescent Knife is supposed to be one of the exotic weapons worth taking the proficiency anymore. It's in an issue of Dragon, but I don't know which one. IIRC it's both a slashing weapon and light (and therefore capable of being used with Weapon Finesse)

BooNL
2009-11-02, 09:27 AM
Actually, appearancewise the sickle is pretty cool. Instead of looking at it from a druidic point of view, see it as a torture instrument.
The weapon deals a lot more pain than it deals damage. Also, slashing throats with a sickle is a pretty cool image.

Too bad the mechanics for it suck though. 1d6 x2 is a pretty crappy weapon.

I'm not sure, but there might be some simple slashing weapons in the arms & equipment guide. I recall there being some gloves and claw weapons, do I don't remember if they're simple.

Your best bet would be to get martial weapon proficiency from somewhere. A kukri works wonders for your character.

Lapak
2009-11-02, 09:33 AM
Actually, appearancewise the sickle is pretty cool. Instead of looking at it from a druidic point of view, see it as a torture instrument.
The weapon deals a lot more pain than it deals damage. Also, slashing throats with a sickle is a pretty cool image.Or, depending on your character background, it could simply be a farm implement he/she is familiar with.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-02, 09:38 AM
Heavy Sickle from Planar Handbook is like a heavy mace, except slashing damage. Used a lot on Acheron by the native semi-evil outsiders. So not finessable, but just worth noting.

Tyger
2009-11-02, 09:45 AM
Wow, fast replies. Unfortunately, not the ones I was hoping for. :) The build is extremely feat starved already, so no dice taking any extra feats for proficiency. Though I suppose I could do a level of Warblade and get martial weapon proficiency, and some BAB. Things to ponder.

Though how would Swordsage work there? Far more flavourful for my character, though the loss of BAB would hurt. Seems more interactive for that first level though.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-02, 09:49 AM
Strongly consider refluffing if the sickle turns you off so much. Nobody but the DM and you has to know that it's a "sickle" in "reality". Pretend that your 1d6 light weapon is a variant short sword. A khopesh (sickle sword) could work, and be flavourful.

Person_Man
2009-11-02, 09:54 AM
Your options are:

Dagger
Sickle
Bladed Crossbow (Dragon 349): Basically a bayonet. Also a common houserule for crossbow builds. I'm not sure if this is finessable or not.
Fauchard (Dragon 331): Not finessable.
Whip: Bards get free Whip proficiency.
Whip Dagger (Drow of the Underdark): Shares proficiency with whip dagger, doesn't have the weird AC no hit thing.

I think Warchanter also grants martial weapon proficiency (and is great for other reasons, assuming you don't care about spells).

Tyger
2009-11-02, 10:05 AM
Your options are:

Dagger
Sickle
Bladed Crossbow (Dragon 349): Basically a bayonet. Also a common houserule for crossbow builds.
Fauchard (Dragon 331)
Whip: Bards get free Whip proficiency.
Whip Dagger (Drow of the Underdark): Shares proficiency with whip dagger, doesn't have the weird AC no hit thing.

I think Warchanter also grants martial weapon proficiency (and is great for other reasons, assuming you don't care about spells).

Whip dagger could be interesting, especially as he already uses the whip... mostly just for the disarm actions though. Interesting. I shall seek ou this Drow of the Underdark you speak of.

And nope, War Chanters don't get any weapon profs... that was my first thought too, to find a bardic PrC that would give martial weapons, but alas, I am out of ideas there.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-11-02, 10:07 AM
Looking at the Weapon Balance thread, your options for a light simple slashing weapon are 1d8x2, 1d6(x3 or 19-20x2), or 1d4(x4 or 18-20x2). Sickle, therefore, is basically what you can expect.

Tyger
2009-11-02, 10:10 AM
Looking at the Weapon Balance thread, your options for a light simple slashing weapon are 1d8x2, 1d6(x3 or 19-20x2), or 1d4(x4 or 18-20x2). Sickle, therefore, is basically what you can expect.

*chuckles* Strangely enough, the stats of the weapon are the last concern here. Its all about how good it looks! He's a bard after all. :) I think I will likely go with Foryn's suggestion to simply talk to the DM about refluffing a sickle into a sickle sword or khopesh, just so he can look good while dancing with it. Though this dagger-whip bears some looking into as well!

Kaiyanwang
2009-11-02, 10:43 AM
It isn't simple (it's exotic), but if you're willing to take a feat I think the Crescent Knife is supposed to be one of the exotic weapons worth taking the proficiency anymore. It's in an issue of Dragon, but I don't know which one. IIRC it's both a slashing weapon and light (and therefore capable of being used with Weapon Finesse)

Crescent Knife does not exist. It's likely that one of these days, odd men with black suit and sunglasses will visit you to remark that #275 DRAGON MAGAZINE CRESCENT KNIFE does not exist.

Crescent Knife CANNOT exist! *screams, fleeing*

Heliomance
2009-11-02, 10:55 AM
To clarify the horror the above poster feels, the Crescent Knife says something along the lines of "for every attack you would normally make with the Crescent Knife, make two."
It fuels a lot of this monstrosity. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=146.0)

Kaiyanwang
2009-11-02, 11:03 AM
To clarify the horror the above poster feels, the Crescent Knife says something along the lines of "for every attack you would normally make with the Crescent Knife, make two."
It fuels a lot of this monstrosity. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=146.0)

Thank you to rationalize it.

Well, even without the excess above... the fact that the designer (ANDY COLLINS :smalleek:) simply considered balancing the d3 damage in a game with a core rogue with sneak attack, it's simply outstanding.

See, I use a lot of Dragon Magazine material, and generally speaking improves my game a lot, exspecially for meleers. But that weapon CANNOT BE. it's something lovercraftian.

One could say "melee cannot have nice things" like the greathammer minotaur, but the two things are not even remotely related in brokenness. The greathammer is slightly more powerful, the knife is simply broken to the bone.

Telonius
2009-11-02, 11:07 AM
If you're a Bard already, a single-level dip in Master of Masks (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070105a&page=3) shouldn't be too hard to manage. You'll lose one level of casting, but the Gladiator mask gives you proficiency in everything. Take your pick of Light slashing weapons.

And imagine how badass you'll look wearing that mask into battle!

Cieyrin
2009-11-02, 12:03 PM
If you're a Bard already, a single-level dip in Master of Masks (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070105a&page=3) shouldn't be too hard to manage. You'll lose one level of casting, but the Gladiator mask gives you proficiency in everything. Take your pick of Light slashing weapons.

And imagine how badass you'll look wearing that mask into battle!

You'll look like a Vizard. How...original.:smallbiggrin:

Sinfire Titan
2009-11-02, 12:22 PM
Thank you to rationalize it.

Well, even without the excess above... the fact that the designer (ANDY COLLINS :smalleek:) simply considered balancing the d3 damage in a game with a core rogue with sneak attack, it's simply outstanding.

See, I use a lot of Dragon Magazine material, and generally speaking improves my game a lot, exspecially for meleers. But that weapon CANNOT BE. it's something lovercraftian.

One could say "melee cannot have nice things" like the greathammer minotaur, but the two things are not even remotely related in brokenness. The greathammer is slightly more powerful, the knife is simply broken to the bone.

I nerfed it by making the extra attacks a Swift action. That took a lot of oomp out of the weapon.

Braid Blades, however, are inexcusable. They could have at least limited the number you can wear by making it take up your helm slot...

Bayar
2009-11-02, 12:28 PM
Braid Blades, however, are inexcusable. They could have at least limited the number you can wear by making it take up your helm slot...

Things like these give Dragon magazine a bad name...and often a spot in the banned sources list.

Animefunkmaster
2009-11-02, 12:36 PM
with all simple weapons, plus the longsword, rapier, sap, short sword, shortbow, and whip.

Short sword, rapier, and whip (already mentioned) are all finessable as well.

Tyger
2009-11-02, 12:44 PM

Yup, but short sword and rapier are both piercing weapons, and thus don't work with Snowflake Wardance. I wish it was that easy! :smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2009-11-02, 12:48 PM

All are piercing except whip.

The Rose Dragon
2009-11-02, 01:20 PM
There is also straightblade from Planar Handbook, which is a shortsword, except slashing. Bards don't get proficiency with it by default, however, even though it is completely stupid for them not to.

Wereling
2009-11-02, 02:28 PM
I'm afraid I don't have my books on hand, but isn't Cutlass from Stormwrack slashing? I don't know if it's simple or martial though.

Wereling
2009-11-02, 02:29 PM

holy carp. I didn't realize about the two-for-one thing. Who on earth thought THAT was a good idea?

deuxhero
2009-11-02, 02:39 PM
A gleemax thread had rules for creating custom weapons (based so all core weapons fall into an existing range) that could be offered to the DM, but it was likely killed the The Conception.

Cieyrin
2009-11-02, 03:26 PM
I'm afraid I don't have my books on hand, but isn't Cutlass from Stormwrack slashing? I don't know if it's simple or martial though.

Cutlass' are the slashing equivalent of rapiers and also martial, so no dice here.:smallannoyed:

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-02, 03:50 PM
Actually, a cutlass is like a buffed Straightblade. Short sword, deals slashing, gets an anti-disarm bonus. The closest thing to a slashing rapier is a scimitar.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-02, 03:53 PM
other than a sickle?

I am playing a Bard (soon to be Lyric Thaumaturge) with Weapon Finesse and (soon) Snowflake Wardance. SW requires the weapons to be slashing weapons held in one hand... based on my limited analysis of the bardic weapon proficiencies, that means either a longsword (non-finessible), sickle (how lame is that?? I am not a druid!) or dagger (which could work).

Are their any slashing, simple, finessible (not sure that is actually a word) weapons in any splat book that I haven't found? So long as its WotC, its likely OK with the DM.

Longswords aren't simple.
Kusari-Gamas are one handed and finessible just like Longswords, but exotic. Basically one handed spiked chain.

Coidzor
2009-11-02, 04:29 PM
Whip-daggers have the best range available, being they can attack anyone within 3 squares, right? All this in addition to bonuses to disarm... and possibly the ability to trip?

Cieyrin
2009-11-02, 04:52 PM
Whip-daggers have the best range available, being they can attack anyone within 3 squares, right? All this in addition to bonuses to disarm... and possibly the ability to trip?

Only issue is that they still provoke an attack of opportunity when used. At least with the whip dagger you can damage people actually in armor, unlike a whip.

Mongoose87
2009-11-02, 04:53 PM
Only issue is that they still provoke an attack of opportunity when used. At least with the whip dagger you can damage people actually in armor, unlike a whip.

Of course, with enough Con/HP, Robilar's Gambit and Combat Reflexes, this could be hilarious!

Coidzor
2009-11-02, 04:55 PM

Indeed, since the relevant feats haven't been taken.

But I'd like to see someone connect with a disarm-response AoO from 15 feet that doesn't already have reach.

Worira
2009-11-02, 05:54 PM
Another possibility is the radical houserule of "You can cut someone with a sword".

Coidzor
2009-11-02, 05:59 PM
Another possibility is the radical houserule of "You can cut someone with a sword".

You mean that the edges of short swords and rapiers(since they're rapiers, not foils, right?) are actually sharpened?

Inconceivable!

Geddoe
2009-11-03, 04:08 PM
Any feycraft one hand weapon lowers the die by one step and allows weapon finesse use. So a feycraft longsword or scimitar are options. They are in the PHBII

Blackfang108
2009-11-03, 04:12 PM
Any feycraft one hand weapon lowers the die by one step and allows weapon finesse use. So a feycraft longsword or scimitar are options. They are in the PHBII

Where in the PHB II? I've read that book many times over and I've never seen this.:smallconfused:

The Rose Dragon
2009-11-03, 04:29 PM
Where in the PHB II? I've read that book many times over and I've never seen this.:smallconfused:

Probably because they are in DMG II, not PHB II.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-03, 05:08 PM
You mean that the edges of short swords and rapiers(since they're rapiers, not foils, right?) are actually sharpened?

Inconceivable!

That word you keep using... I do not think it means what you think it means.