PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Character help

Hurlbut
2009-11-02, 10:40 PM
The game's take place in Lastwall.
I'm looking into a dwarf 'tomb raider', an Indiana Jones if you will, who seek lost and stolen dwarven artifacts and retrieve them to be place in the hands of his clan for safekeeping. Feats, PrCs, other options from 3.5 sourcebooks are allowed (Using Pathfinder Conversions pdf).
I hope for him to be mainly a fighter, but I'm not opposed to multiclass if that will help me realize the main concept.

Stats are Str 16, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 11 (after racial mods)
rearranging is possible.

edited: forgot to mention we're using Pathfinder Traits (including ones from Taldor and Legacy of Fire) and their fluff can be tweaked within reason to fit their mechanics to background ;). Standard rules; 2 traits, can't have both be of same type.

Eldariel
2009-11-03, 03:40 AM
The kind of skill set you'd want seems to be more the territory of Rangers or Rogues than Fighters. I'd probably go either Trap Expert [Dungeonscape] Ranger or just normal Rogue, possibly dipping into Swashbuckler and Daring Outlaw.

Eh, the details are up to you really; your character and all, but a treasure hunter definitely evokes the feeling of someone with skills to me and as such, I'd ensure that you can at least deal with traps, scouting and such.

Hurlbut
2009-11-03, 10:47 AM
Oh yeah I also have another question; did a sourcebook with an art of an half-orc dressed up like Indiana Jones existed? I would like to know that wasn't a delusion (despite being unable to find it in my book collection).

DeathQuaker
2009-11-03, 12:20 PM
If you want to be able to be able to find and disable traps, at least a few levels of Rogue are warranted for getting Trapfinding as well as getting Disable Device and Perception as class skills. The Trap Sense and Evasion class abilities wouldn't hurt either.

If your concept is more "plow in and use your axe as your lockpick and take the trap to the face because you're a dwarf and goddammit you're tough enough to take it and then pry the treasure out of the mummy's still flailing hands"... then you can do it pure Fighter, with max ranks in Knowledge: Dungeoneering. I'd probably still put some skill ranks into Perception, maybe even with a Skill Focus feat so as to mimic it being a class skill (and better, because the bonus goes to 6 when you put 10 ranks into it). You'll still be able to find nonmagical traps. You'd want Improved Sunder to help break down those doors and obstacles (and thus Power Attack).

Either way, I'd get Exotic WP in Whip if you want that full Indiana Jones feel, maybe TWF it with a different weapon in the other hand for melee-hurtin'. And along that route, if you have a whip, may as well Combat Expertise and Improved Disarm and/or Trip to make the most of it.

ETA: If you're allowed to use the Eberron Sourcebook, you might check out the Extreme Explorer prestige class, but that's only useful if you're using the Action Point variant rule.

Eldariel
2009-11-03, 02:30 PM
If you want to be able to be able to find and disable traps, at least a few levels of Rogue are warranted for getting Trapfinding as well as getting Disable Device and Perception as class skills. The Trap Sense and Evasion class abilities wouldn't hurt either.

There's a Ranger ACF in Dungeonscape called "Trap Expert" that does the same at full BAB without SA, if that's what floats your boat. That is, it trades Track for Trapfinding and gets you Search + Disable Device in class (though Perception is a class skill anyways).

Hurlbut
2009-11-03, 03:31 PM
Ooh Dungeon Crasher, I like that very much. I'm looking at Fighter 4/Rogue 1, with Dungeon Crasher and 'Academic Training' (from Pathfinder Chronicles campaign book on the fighter section, give up a feat for +2 extra sp per level). Currently have Perception +16 general, +17 to find traps. +19 for those set in stone walls or floors.