PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Designing magic mount as cohort for PC, please help

DeathQuaker
2009-11-03, 12:50 PM
TL;DR: PEACH my custom magic mount, statted out below, meant to be an equivalent to a 12th level Cohort.

So, in the Pathfinder campaign I'm running, I have a player of a 17th level Cleric-Contemplative (PRC converted from Complete Divine, who is a self-styled "Gatherer of Souls" and servant of Death (A nice servant of Death, mind, one of those Repose-domain bearing ones who wants to assist people to their destined rest, not push them along the way nor raise them as undead).

The player has an image of his character riding a dark mystical horse, adding to his character's deathy mystique. Being a high level character, the priestess of death has become a bit legendary, and a little bit of a bogey(wo)man amongst some of the more evil races. So that image seems appropriate. Not having any character classes or domains that allow a companion, I suggested he take the Leadership feat and taking the special mount as a Cohort. I don't know if Cohorts are really meant for this kind of thing, but I'm the GM, and I say it's okay in this circumstance.

We talked about "something like a Nightmare" but those are vicious and evil creatures. The player also said he didn't want the mount to fly (as cool as that would be, he has his reasons and I have mine for agreeing with him, so let's let that wish stand as it is). Basically the mount should fit the character's grim, mysterious, but entirely unmalicious nature. Talking to my player, I understand his primary interest is a creature that gets his priestess from point A to point B when spell-based travel isn't viable and looks cool while doing it. His character tends to stay in the back and buff/heal, so he's probably not planning to ride it into combat. I do want the cohort/mount to have some cool abilities, since it is for a high level character and campaign.

The character's Leadership score is 18, and thus qualifies for a 12th level cohort.

I've played around with the Nightmare and Cauchemar stats, made it non-evil, swapped out flight and the Smoke ability for a sort of levitation ability, obscuring mist, and air walk. I took away the fire damage done by its hooves, but might swap in another damage type (I'm not sure what). This is what I've come up with so far:

EPONA
This magnificent black mare speeds across the multiverse, its eyes sparkling with the reflection of the astral plane. Its purpose is to transport lost Petitioners to their appropriate Plane of destination, and is oft seen with these unfortunate souls clinging to its mane.

N Large (Space 10’, reach 5’) Outsider (extraplanar)
Movement: Walk 40’, Initiative +7
Senses: Darkvision 60’, Perception (orig +12)

Defense
HP 99 (12d10+36)
AC 26, touch 12, flat-footed 23 (+3 Dex, +14 natural, –1 size) CMD 29 (33 vs Trip)
Fort 8+3=11 Ref 8+3=11 Will 4+1=5
Immune to Poison and Disease

Offense
BAB +12 Melee Bite +15 1d6+4, 2 hooves +10 (1d6+2)
CMB +17

Special Abilities: Mist Glide: The Epona’s hooves never touch the ground, but rather the creature gallops along a cloud of mist that ever forms beneath its feet. This is not true flight; the Epona cannot change altitude—it is always about five inches off the ground, and it moves and acts in combat as if it were touching the ground. However, it moves at full speed over difficult terrain and can move across water. It cannot levitate over holes in the ground more than 5 feet across but it can run down large fissures gracefully, and is at no danger from falling from cracks forming beneath it (such as an earthquake spell) as long as it is able to move to follow the crack down or get out of the way on its next turn (otherwise it takes half the falling damage that a normal creature would, due to the jolt). Dangerous obstacles like pools of lava or extremely dangerous acid will still slow the Epona down by half, and for an obstacle like a lava pool, the Epona must make a DC 18 Reflex save every 10 feet to avoid taking damage from ambient heat.

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 12th)
At will:
Obscuring Mist

1/day:
Air Walk (self only)
Plane Shift (self plus rider only)

Statistics
Str 18, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 12

Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Run, Improved Natural Attack (Bite), Power Attack, Improved Overrun

Languages Celestial, Abyssal

Skills:
Acrobatics 12 ranks+ 3 “class” + 3= +18
Intimidate 12+3+1=+16
Knowledge (planes) 12+3+1=+16
Perception 12+3+1+2=+18
Sense Motive 12+3+1+2=+18
Stealth 12+3+3-4=+14
Survival 6+3+1=+10

Does it look all right/balanced? I'm thinking I might have given it too many hit dice by 1 or 2. (Or maybe it needs more?)

Should it do any special kind of damage?

Would you give your player's 17th level NG Human Cleric/Contemplative of Death with the Leadership feat this kind of Cohort?

Thanks.