PDA

View Full Version : (D&D 3.5) Jaegermonsters

Coidzor
2009-11-03, 05:07 PM
So I'm a bit of a fan of girl genius, so I wanted to include some Jaegermonsters in a game/setting, but, well, haven't found any homebrews myself just yet, and was wondering if anyone had found a decent one or something to refluff as Jaegers?

Leewei
2009-11-03, 05:10 PM
Bugbears with a hat fetish might work.

Telonius
2009-11-03, 05:15 PM
Their regenerative powers, scent, and ability to track suggest something troll-related. Much higher charisma, though.

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 05:17 PM
A mix between the rules for orc and warforged might work. IIRC, they can only really be healed by the Heterodynes (casters?), they're stronger and tougher than normal people, but they aren't very smart, nor do they seem to have much in the way of people skills. They're also organismic, rather than robotic like a true warforged.

Oh, and very, very Prussian hats.

Telonius
2009-11-03, 05:18 PM
Maybe stat their hats as item familiars? :smallbiggrin:

Korivan
2009-11-03, 05:27 PM
Funny, I was just thinking about adding these guys. I was thinking DR over regenerative abilities. High strength, good dex, High constitution. Probably mid to low rest of the abilities, unless dealing with homicidle creatures.

Fax Celestis
2009-11-03, 05:32 PM
Try the Mongrelfolk from RoD?

chiasaur11
2009-11-03, 05:57 PM
A mix between the rules for orc and warforged might work. IIRC, they can only really be healed by the Heterodynes (casters?), they're stronger and tougher than normal people, but they aren't very smart, nor do they seem to have much in the way of people skills. They're also organismic, rather than robotic like a true warforged.

Oh, and very, very Prussian hats.

Some of them seem reasonably clever, if a bit...

distinctive in thought process. Not very smart describes some of them, sure, but not all of them.

ghashxx
2009-11-03, 06:00 PM
Licorice booze monsters?

AslanCross
2009-11-03, 06:14 PM
Maybe Shifters with the Razorclaw trait? I know Jagermonsters don't really shift, but Shifters can do the "tear zem apart wiv me klaws" thing quite well.

Cieyrin
2009-11-03, 06:19 PM
Bugbears are probably the closest parallel, as bugbears are quite cunning, strong and healthy, much like jaegermonsters. I think their regenerative powers is just a reflection of their RHD compared to the normal humans about, who have to take class levels to get those extra HPs, while bugbears just start with them.

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 06:21 PM
Some of them seem reasonably clever, if a bit...

distinctive in thought process.

Well, I do do my best to always post drunk. :smallcool:

That aside, a penalty doesn't mean you won't get some smarties of the bunch. It'll just be less common. They seem more perceptive (wisdom) than smart though.

Yora
2009-11-03, 06:26 PM
Licorice booze monsters?

That was one of my first thoughts as well. :smallbiggrin:

They are really called Jaegermonster? There's a liquer called Jägermeister, which which everyone in germany is familiar.

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 06:31 PM
They're named after the Jaeger infantry of Germany, who were light line infantry/skirmishers who used early rifles instead of muskets.

Adlan
2009-11-03, 06:51 PM
Jäger means hunter, and is the root of their name.

Hunter Monster's.... Fun times Ja?

Kurald Galain
2009-11-03, 06:59 PM
Let's see... definite bonus to strength, probably bonus to con, likely penalty to int and wis. They don't seem any more or less social than other folks in that world, really. Make it +4 str, +2 con, -2 int, -2 wis. Yes, I'm aiming for a level adjustment here, I think it's warranted.

Free feat: scent, and can use Detect Magic (wizard 0) and Status (cleric 1) at will through their scent (to account for the fact that they can e.g. sense Heterodynes, scent out wounds, and pierce illusions with scent). They also receive a +4 bonus to saving throws against fear, and are immune to pain effects.

Favored class is fighter. Alignment tends towards lawful neutral. Huge lifespan, possibly immortal. I'm hesitant to give them actual bonuses in combat, as that can be accounted for by the Fighter class.

Their language and hat fetish doesn't require stats. LA +2, would that work?

Kurald Galain
2009-11-03, 07:00 PM
They're named after the Jaeger infantry of Germany, who were light line infantry/skirmishers who used early rifles instead of muskets.

No they're not, both the Jaegermonsters and said infantry are named after the word "jaeger" which simply means hunter.

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 07:05 PM
No they're not, both the Jaegermonsters and said infantry are named after the word "jaeger" which simply means hunter.

Is it really relevant to distinguish between "It's derived from word Y" as distinct from "It's derived from word X which is derived from word Y"? They're both ultimately derived from Y. Besides, since the Jaegermonsters are a type of super soldier, being based off Jaeger infantry rather than just hunters would make just as much sense as saying the Jaeger monsters are derived from normal hunters.

Kurald Galain
2009-11-03, 07:09 PM
Is it really relevant to distinguish between "It's derived from word Y" as distinct from "It's derived from word X which is derived from word Y"?
Yes, because the former is true and the latter is not, and because the latter has a few unfortunate implications which are wildly out of place in the comic.

It's called false etymology. For instance, the Death Of All Deaths in the Discworld universe, who is named Azrael, is not based on the cat from the Smurfs. Neither is Laurence Fishburne's character from The Matrix based on the popular Sandman graphic novels by Neil Gaiman.

Yukitsu
2009-11-03, 07:12 PM
Yes, because the former is true and the latter is not, and because the latter has a few unfortunate implications which are wildly out of place in the comic.

It's called false etymology. For instance, the Death Of All Deaths in the Discworld universe, who is named Azrael, is not based on the cat from the Smurfs.

That's not really a legitimate analogy. Jaeger infantry are called that because they are hunters used in war. Jaegermonsters are hunter monsters that are used in wars. A normal Jaeger is just a hunter. The infantry comes from the word hunter. The monster infantry may come from the infantry or from the word hunter but either way you can move directly backwords and arrive at hunter.

To compare, you can't follow that chain of information between the cat and discworld at all. Just because a word has intermediary words doesn't mean the new words aren't derived from the middle.

mostlyharmful
2009-11-03, 07:27 PM
While they get better they don't regrow limbs or missing parts, I'd give them a rapid repair ability along the lines of HD/Hour to simulate their speedy recovery, make them living constructs with a solid Str bonus and a minor Int hit, say +4 and -2, then give them Scent as a possible feat choice and an immunity to fear and you're good. +1LA and Fighter as a favoured class

Crafty Cultist
2009-11-03, 07:51 PM
I think the feral template suites them well; claws, regenerative ability and improved speed

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-03, 07:56 PM
They are really called Jaegermonster? There's a liquer called Jägermeister, which which everyone in germany is familiar.

Over here too, since Jager bombs are one of the most popular drinks in Aus right now, particularly for binge and/or underage drinkers. You're drunk, but you don't look drunk and you don't feel drunk. Just try to ignore the repercussions for mixing a stimulant with a depressant.

Deth Muncher
2009-11-03, 09:02 PM
On Jaegermeister/monster: Phil Foglio made their names as such on purpose, I'd venture to say. I've met the man, he's a fairly funny guy, and I'm pretty sure he'd do that just to add another level of har-har for those who know their alcohol. Especially if you look at some of the other things he's done, there's no doubt he likes throwing around adult humor.

gdiddy
2009-11-03, 09:14 PM
Jaegarmonsters are humans who have drank the jaegar draught.

Just make a poison with a high fort save that gives the feral template on survival.

Deth Muncher
2009-11-03, 09:44 PM
Jaegarmonsters are humans who have drank the jaegar draught.

Just make a poison with a high fort save that gives the feral template on survival.

Good point. They were actually just mentioning that in the latest installment. (http://girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php)

Lycan 01
2009-11-03, 10:16 PM
Ich mochte die Jaegerkin. :smallbiggrin:

Jaeger = German for "hunter" Jaegerkin = Hunterfolk

They're not named after a specific type of historic soldier or anything like that - that wouldn't make much sense, since most people have never heard of any sort of actual Jaeger unit. Its just two similar things that happen to have the same name... They're just animalistic humanoid monsters who make really good soldiers and have a hat obsession. "Jaegerkin" is just a word that them, jawohl? :smallwink:

I was actually wondering about Jaeger stats for DnD 4e, although since Shadowrun seems to be popular with my group right now, statting them for that might be a more worthwhile investment of my time... :smallconfused:

Coidzor
2009-11-04, 12:11 AM
Hmm... Living Construct... Now that is an idea, that is an idea indeed...

Evil the Cat
2009-11-04, 12:20 AM
Based on what I remember, they'd be (bizarrely) represented by making some kind of half-zombie template, since they seem to have all of the advantages of being undead, without actually being undead.

No fear, no pain, no sanity, and love of hats....

I not shoor vere der hats fit it, but eet is goot!

gdiddy
2009-11-04, 12:27 AM
Actually, did some digging.

http://girlgenius.wikia.com/wiki/J%C3%A4germonsters

This site is a great place to start if you want absolutely authenticity.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2009-11-04, 12:40 AM
OMG when you stat this out post it cause I WANT IT. . .

Coidzor
2009-11-04, 12:47 AM
So let's see...

We've got... Fast Healing Vs. DR, natural weapons (2 claws definitely, maybe even a bite...), increases to strength and constitution, decreases to intelligence and either wisdom or charisma or neither and just int decrease, Scent, immunity to fear, a boost to at least fortitude saves, and a bit of a toss between racial hit die and LA for the crunch side.

Or just refluffing the feral template...

I heard there was some kind of fey race that may or may not have been based on them which bears at least a superficial resemblance to Jagers... I'll have to remember to poke my friend about their source that mentioned 'em...

Say, where is the feral template from again?

Saintheart
2009-11-04, 12:50 AM
I misread this topic as "Jaggermonsters" and somehow had myself envisioning a statted out Mick Jagger ... :smalleek:

AstralFire
2009-11-04, 12:58 AM
Feral is from Savage Species.

Coidzor
2009-11-04, 02:53 AM
Feral does seem to give a fair amount of Jageryness for what it is...

So, those of you who like DR, what kind of DR seems suitable?

AslanCross
2009-11-04, 03:28 AM
Feral does seem to give a fair amount of Jageryness for what it is...

So, those of you who like DR, what kind of DR seems suitable?

DR/-- seems most appropriate, because the Jagers are never really said to be vulnerable to anything. They're just tougher than usual. Something like DR 2/-- or 3/-- isn't a stretch.

Btw, I take back Shifter. Bugbear does seem to be the most apt base here.

Shouldn't this be in the Homebrew section now that we're talking stats from scratch?

Coidzor
2009-11-04, 03:31 AM
Indeed...

I was hoping someone else had come up or seen something, but it looks like sommat will have to be done in the way of another thread.