PDA

View Full Version : The molecular condom

pendell
2009-11-04, 01:22 PM
Score yet another FOR SCIENCE! (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/10/molecular_condom/)

Scientists in Utah have developed what they term a "molecular condom", a type of gel which "turns semisolid in the presence of semen, trapping AIDS virus particles in a microscopic mesh".

"Due to cultural and socioeconomic factors, women often are unable to negotiate the use of protection with their partner," says Julie Jay, University of Utah doctoral candidate in pharmaceutics, speaking particularly of AIDS-ridden sub-Saharan Africa.

No further comment necessary, is there?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Syka
2009-11-04, 01:32 PM
My only question is this: how affordable will it be? Will those who need it most (like the women mentioned in sub-saharan Africa) be able to afford it? Will they even be able to access it? And what is the likelihood that there will be a stigma against those who buy it?

That said, it's pretty nifty. I wish they could come up with something like that that would prevent pregnancy as well. :smallwink:

Trog
2009-11-04, 01:51 PM
Is Trog the only one that thought "that's a really small condom... no one is gonna buy that brand" before opening the thread?

See cuz it would imply that the guy buying 'em would have... you know.. a um... You get what Trog saying here, right?

No? Just Trog seeing the funny there?

*hands a magnifying glass*

How about now? If you squint you can... just about see the.... humor? No?

Oh well. It was good for Trog. *lights up a cigarette and wanders off*

Cobra_Ikari
2009-11-04, 01:56 PM
Is Trog the only one that thought "that's a really small condom... no one is gonna buy that brand" before opening the thread?

See cuz it would imply that the guy buying 'em would have... you know.. a um... You get what Trog saying here, right?

<3. *swoons*

I actually thought they meant something molecularly thin. Because I could see people buying into that.

...though the thing people often make molecularly thin...is knife blades. >.>

...so, might not have the desired effect. >.>

Eldan
2009-11-04, 02:01 PM

<3. *swoons*

I actually thought they meant something molecularly thin. Because I could see people buying into that.

...though the thing people often make molecularly thin...is knife blades. >.>

...so, might not have the desired effect. >.>

*Scientist steps on stage. Draws huge white bedsheet from veiled object*

"BEHOLD! The monomolecular vibro-condom!"

Yeah, my silly joke for today.

UnChosenOne
2009-11-04, 02:06 PM
Nice to see that, now they just need to develope working (and cheap) jet pack and world will be perfect.

Pyrian
2009-11-04, 02:14 PM
Sperm with jetpacks! :smallbiggrin:

Wizard of the Coat
2009-11-04, 02:14 PM
My only question is this: how affordable will it be? Will those who need it most (like the women mentioned in sub-saharan Africa) be able to afford it? Will they even be able to access it? And what is the likelihood that there will be a stigma against those who buy it?

Depending on the nature of the chemicals involved it doen't need to be very expensive. The advantage of polymer chains is that they are usually fairly cheap to manufacture in bulk once you get the chemistry right, one of the reasons why it's such an interesting field to expand into.

Perfect example of the potential that self assembling chemicals have for the world.

Lappy9000
2009-11-04, 02:31 PM
Is Trog the only one that thought "that's a really small condom... no one is gonna buy that brand" before opening the thread? Probably.

Points for bringing on the hilarity, though :smallbiggrin:

pita
2009-11-04, 02:46 PM
I also thought something similar, although it was more like "My size of condoms, FINALLY."
Uhh.... heh. heh. DON'T LOOK AT ME.

evisiron
2009-11-04, 03:17 PM
I actually presumed it was a name attached to some scientific effect, for example, it might have been a thin shield against radiation or some such thing. :smallsmile:

And damn, the term "stealth condom" conjures many interesting ninja and stealth bomber related images. :smallbiggrin:

blackfox
2009-11-04, 10:12 PM
[COLOR="Sienna"]Is Trog the only one that thought "that's a really small condom... no one is gonna buy that brand" before opening the thread?Actually, I thought you'd say that. And my first thought was '...molecules thick?'

Berserk Monk
2009-11-05, 12:54 AM
Score yet another FOR SCIENCE! (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/10/molecular_condom/)

No further comment necessary, is there?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

WWHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTT????:smalleek:

Coidzor
2009-11-05, 12:58 AM

Dear lord no! That's almost as bad as super man's sperm going on a super-powered rampage and destroying metropolis!:smalleek:

Berserk Monk
2009-11-05, 12:59 AM
Dear lord no! That's almost as bad as super man's sperm going on a super-powered rampage and destroying metropolis!:smalleek:

I'm reminded of the rant from Mallrats about how Superman could never get Lois Lane pregnant.

daggaz
2009-11-05, 01:06 AM
So wow. A woman can be infected by HIV (and a host of other nasties) well before the man actually ejaculates. Sure, the ejaculate contains a large amount of HIV virus particles, but its not all of them. You'ld think with something horrible and fatal like AIDS, you'ld want a more fail-safe method.

Am I the only one who can see the glaring holes in this method?? :smallconfused:

Lioness
2009-11-05, 01:48 AM
Yeah...It's too small for me to see anything :P

On a serious note, I do see how that could be a problem. I'll stick to traditional methods.

skywalker
2009-11-05, 01:51 AM

If only I had two drums and a cymbal...

That said, it's pretty nifty. I wish they could come up with something like that that would prevent pregnancy as well. :smallwink:

Bill Gates is involved. Guy gave a third(!) of his net worth to get malaria victims treatment. I bet he's willing to help out.

So wow. A woman can be infected by HIV (and a host of other nasties) well before the man actually ejaculates. Sure, the ejaculate contains a large amount of HIV virus particles, but its not all of them. You'ld think with something horrible and fatal like AIDS, you'ld want a more fail-safe method.

Am I the only one who can see the glaring holes in this method?? :smallconfused:

I re-use my above point. Bill Gates is smarter than the both of us put together. When Bill Gates sets out to be the best at something, he becomes the best. So right now, he is the best at giving away his money intelligently. I bet he's thought this one through pretty well. Possibly the article just didn't explain it very well.

Addressing it directly, it says that it becomes solid in the presence of "semen." Now, yes, not all particles are contained in the ejaculate, but all the dangerous ones in this context are contained in various fluids, all of which could be loosely referred to as "semen." I would be willing to be that this is the misunderstanding.

Kneenibble
2009-11-05, 01:54 AM

Wait, other stuff like HPV is still a risk for sure, but doesn't transmission of HIV depend on exchange of fluids? The gel would still react with precum, since the catalyst is semen, not sperm...

So the man is at risk from a woman's fluids, but what else from the man would pose a risk with this substance?

Stormthorn
2009-11-05, 02:02 AM

No, but SOMETHING is better than NOTHING.

An actual condom is out of the question for the group of women this is being considered for, which is why its designed to go unnoticed by the men.

skywalker
2009-11-05, 02:13 AM
Wait, other stuff like HPV is still a risk for sure, but doesn't transmission of HIV depend on exchange of fluids? The gel would still react with precum, since the catalyst is semen, not sperm...

So the man is at risk from a woman's fluids, but what else from the man would pose a risk with this substance?

I'm not entirely sure one of those words up there is... scientific.

And yes, the man is at risk, but as stormthorn says, this isn't particularly being designed to protect the men. You are correct that HPV is a risk, but the primary danger in the target area is HIV/AIDS. Any disease not transmitted thru fluid contact is a danger (IE most STDs, although I'm pretty sure most STDS have a lower risk of transmission without fluid contact).

Cobra_Ikari
2009-11-05, 03:12 AM
...the only purpose I can see for this anyway is to allow HIV+ people to parent children with a non-HIV+ partner. Any other benefits?

Syka
2009-11-05, 10:09 AM
...the only purpose I can see for this anyway is to allow HIV+ people to parent children with a non-HIV+ partner. Any other benefits?

To keep the women from contracting HIV in the first place. Condoms are not widely available in the target area, as far as I understand, or if they are there is a stigma against using them in the first place. In addition, the partners often do not want to use condoms and the women don't really have much of a say. It doesn't help that there is a myth that having sex with a virgin will cure one of HIV/AIDS in some areas.

So if women have a method to protect themselves from HIV that does NOT rely on the cooperation of their sexual partner, they are at a lower chance of contracting HIV. It's quite brilliant actually. I was just unsure about it's ability to get to the women who need it.

I'll be honest...if I was a woman in sub-Saharan Africa I'd be more worried about HIV than HPV. It's a luxury that HPV is my main worry. It's pretty depressing that worrying about contracting ANY disease is a luxury, though. :smalleek:

ETA: Disclaimer: It's my main worry because my partner has been tested for the 'typical' stuff (HIV, etc), but there is no HPV test for guys.

AtomicKitKat
2009-11-05, 10:28 AM
I thought it was a mono-filament condom as well.

I do see one very possibly fatal flaw. If there's any way for the substance to backfeed, that could result in either a blocked penis, or prostatic cancer. Likewise for the woman, there could be a blocked bladder, or some other stuff, depending on contact and other things.

Kneenibble
2009-11-05, 12:18 PM
I'm not entirely sure one of those words up there is... scientific.

And yes, the man is at risk, but as stormthorn says, this isn't particularly being designed to protect the men. You are correct that HPV is a risk, but the primary danger in the target area is HIV/AIDS. Any disease not transmitted thru fluid contact is a danger (IE most STDs, although I'm pretty sure most STDS have a lower risk of transmission without fluid contact).
I'm a lover, not a scientist. :smalltongue:

But am I wrong about the fluids thing? Or can non-fluid contact still transfer HIV?

I do see one very possibly fatal flaw. If there's any way for the substance to backfeed, that could result in either a blocked penis, or prostatic cancer. Likewise for the woman, there could be a blocked bladder, or some other stuff, depending on contact and other things.
Wow. That's a truly unpleasant thought.

It does sound like the gel stays soft enough not to clog though.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-05, 05:43 PM
[COLOR="Sienna"]Is Trog the only one that thought "that's a really small condom... no one is gonna buy that brand" before opening the thread?

Nope. :smalltongue:

skywalker
2009-11-06, 02:39 AM
ETA: Disclaimer: It's my main worry because my partner has been tested for the 'typical' stuff (HIV, etc), but there is no HPV test for guys.

You know, I once laughed at a guy (I know him tangentially) who apparently found out his girlfriend had cervical cancer and immediately asked a nurse "I can't catch it, right?!"

I stopped laughing when I looked it up and found that HPV can cause males cancer in... Places men are generally pretty attached to.

I'm a lover, not a scientist. :smalltongue:

But am I wrong about the fluids thing? Or can non-fluid contact still transfer HIV?

No, you must exchange bodily fluids to exchange HIV. Specifically, blood or sexual fluids. According to Wikipedia, there are no recorded cases of urine, saliva, or tears transmitting HIV.

So you were right that HIV is protected against. Other stuff is not. HIV is the real killer in Sub-Saharan Africa, over 30% of adults have the disease in Swaziland and Botswana. Honestly, other STIs aren't fun, but most of them won't kill you, especially as fast as HIV, and they aren't as expensive to treat, either.

BritishBill
2009-11-07, 11:12 AM

lol thats funny

AshDesert
2009-11-07, 04:14 PM

On the other hand, my first thought was "that's a really small condom... they're gonna make a killing selling this over the interwebs" :smalltongue:.

Syka
2009-11-07, 07:41 PM
You know, I once laughed at a guy (I know him tangentially) who apparently found out his girlfriend had cervical cancer and immediately asked a nurse "I can't catch it, right?!"

I stopped laughing when I looked it up and found that HPV can cause males cancer in... Places men are generally pretty attached to.

It's a lot rarer, for kind of obvious reasons (the cervix is a contained environment and when infections get in, they like to stay: see also, PID). It can also cause cancer of the outer female bits, and the bum region, but similar to the cancer in guys- it's just a lot less common.

HPV can be really nasty in the long term. Makes me glad they have tests for it and such for women. Seeing as we're the ones who bear the burden and all, which seems like that happens with a lot of STI's (chlaymidia can cause sterility in women, not in men; etc). I just feel bad for all those guys who unknowingly pass HPV on, since more often than not there are no symptoms and no test for it.

As I said, I'm glad HPV is the highest on my worry list, STI wise. It's the least likely to cause immediate issues and is frequently caught early. HIV is a lot worse and I'm thankful it's not a concern, and I'm glad and hopeful this will get to the women who need it most.

I lol'ed at Sperm With Jetpacks. Great mental image.

AtomicKitKat
2009-11-07, 09:06 PM
I think there's an HPV vaccine out there, but I think they should really have marketed it for everyone, as opposed to directing it specifically to women. That way, you innoculate the guys, and simultaneously indirectly protect their women who are too poor/ignorant/whatever to go for the vaccinations.

Personally though, I'd like to give my own children the gift of a blood transfusion, complete with whatever antibodies I've picked up over the years(allowing for incompatibilities of blood-type, of course).

Sperm with jetpacks...Reminds me of an old thread on the Wizards board where they talked about Slaad and giant tadpoles.

Syka
2009-11-07, 09:18 PM
I have already recieved the vaccine. :) I actually finished all my doses about two months before we found out Oz's ex had a cancer causing strain. :smalleek: Timing is everything.

The reasons they market it for women is that's the group it effects the most. They are working on getting approval for men, but much of the issue there stems from a lack of testing for men period so it makes knowing the effectiveness of a vaccine very difficult. They are working on it, though. I read that back in 06 they were working on a test for men, but I haven't seen anything else about it since. :\

Narmoth
2009-11-08, 05:55 AM

Well, the sperm transmitted diseases are also transmitted by blood, so this won't help at all.
If she's a virgin, shes really ....-ed, as any wound on him would lead to contamination of her.

Emperor Ing
2009-11-08, 06:10 AM
Well, the sperm transmitted diseases are also transmitted by blood, so this won't help at all.
If she's a virgin, shes really ....-ed, as any wound on him would lead to contamination of her.

I don't think HIV-contaminated blood survives very long outside the body, hence blood landing on closed (or scabbed) skin is harmless.

skywalker
2009-11-08, 01:51 PM

I don't think it's just the virgins in this situation. :smallwink:

Volos
2009-11-09, 04:03 PM
Okay, what happens when this stuff fails to catch aids inside of a woman's body when the sex occurs? What if the woman is the one with the AIDS? And when they get this to market and suddenly people who are claiming to have used the product are suddenly AIDS positive? Yeah... wahoo... go science. -tiny flag-