PDA

View Full Version : Lenses of Secret Identity

sdream
2009-11-05, 10:52 AM
These squarish glasses have thick glossy black frames and thick lenses. However, placing them on your face does not change your vision at all. Rather, you are instantly aware of two illusionary disguises which have been crafted and stored within the lenses. You must immediately choose one, or one will be chosen at random for you.

The chosen disguise immediately applies to you for as long as you are wearing the glasses. It can only be removed by removing the glasses, although it can be penetrated in other ways.
- A spot check result exceeding the quality of the disguise allows a wary observer to notice that you are disguised, as with all disguises.
- Physical contact with a part of you that does not match the disguise allows the toucher a will save (DC 14) to understand you are disguised by magic.
- Dispel magic may suppress the magic item's function (see dispel).
- True sight sees right through this illusion as all others.

You can change which disguise you are wearing only by removing and replacing the glasses. You can modify one element of either disguise with a standard action whenever you are wearing the glasses (no mirror or materials required). As with Disguise Self there is a +10 bonus to your disguise skill check and the disguise can change height or width by up to a foot. Building an effective disguise functions exactly like the skill in terms of time, assistance, and taking 20, although no materials are required.

When you find a set of disguise glasses the disguises stored are of random nature and quality (2d20 spot DC). You can pass the glasses between people with disguises intact, a fact that allows you to have an expert design the disguise.

The glasses also allow you to alter your voice, and provide a +5 bonus to bluff checks to convince others of your identity, an ability hinted at by the writing on the inside of the frame which reads - "Phono-both"

Cost 5400gp - Wondrous Item, Face slot, Caster level 9, weak illusion

Cost to create - 2700gp, 2 days, 9th level arcane caster, Alter Self, Ghost Sound, Permanence, Craft Wondrous Item

Golden-Esque
2009-11-05, 12:28 PM
No description of what disguises are within the lenses? Or is it up to the DM when the lenses are generated?

Admiral Squish
2009-11-05, 12:32 PM
For that much g, I'd make it, instead of being an illusion, an actual disguise appears on your body. Magically created, of course, and simply on top of whatever else you're wearing.

deuxhero
2009-11-05, 03:53 PM
It already exists. It's called "Hat of Disguise"

sdream
2009-11-06, 06:41 PM
In order
- yes random disguises, whatever was made last.

- the g was my brother's call, as I wanted a different slot hat of disguise (I have a treasured head item) which was able to hold two quality disguises (which are flexible on size and shape), and help disguise my voice. He just called it Hat of disguise x3 cost for 3 abilities.

- See above - the hat of disguise (besides being in a slot I already have a beloved item in) is sort of vague about quality of said disguise, doesn't disguise your voice, and I wanted to be able to quickly flip to a different disguise because my character looks unusual and I wanted the ability to blend in usually, while still changing suddenly to throw off pursuit.

DracoDei
2009-11-06, 06:53 PM
Glasses take up the same slot as a hat I think.

GallóglachMaxim
2009-11-06, 08:14 PM
Glasses take up the same slot as a hat I think.

Nope, they're two different equipment slots

'# One headband, hat, helmet, or phylactery on the head
# One pair of eye lenses or goggles on or over the eyes'