PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] I've got 10 levels to beat a Dread Wraith...

Zovc
2009-11-06, 11:15 AM
I (the person posting this message) drew from a deck of many things. I took three cards. To my disappointment, I drew the Skull card first. Fortunately, I drew the Sun card and the Jester card after that, I've become much more powerful and have a Pearl of Power (5th-level). Do I stand a chance?

Level 1 Human Expert + 10 levels
Str: 11
Dex: 13
Con: 12
Int: 14
Wis: 13
Cha: 15

My first level feats are Able Learner and Iron Will.
My class skills from Expert are:
Bluff, Climb, Computer Use, Knowledge (Science), Perform (Guitar), Perform (Sing), Profession (Information Technology), Sense Motive, Swim, and Use Magic Device.
Skill points put into:
Balance 2 (4)
Bluff, 3
Climb, 3
Computer Use, 4
Diplomacy, 1 (2)
Knowledge (Science), 1
Listen, 1 (2)
Perform (Guitar), 2
Perform (Sing), 3
Profession (Information Technology), 2
Sense Motive, 4
Survival, 1 (2)
Swim, 4
36 points [(6 + 2)*4 (+4 as a human)]

All that I have on my person is:
Clothes (including shoes, belt, polo shirt, t-shirt, jeans)
In Jeans Pockets
-Cell Phone
-Multi-tool (Screwdriver [+ and -], Flashlight, Bottle Opener, Saw, Knife)
-Sugarfree Gum
-Wallet (State I.D., Debit Card, Magic: the Gathering player rewards card, $15, 2 Singapore Dollars, Fire Energy, Leaf Energy, 2 Business Cards)

I will also have a Pearl of Power (5th-level) after drawing my cards.

Eldariel
2009-11-06, 11:20 AM
You need magic or magical equipment. Else you cannot touch a Dread Wraith. Need more guidelines, though most of them are like to make this impossible (Pearl without any spellcasting ability seems relatively useless).

The Glyphstone
2009-11-06, 11:24 AM
So 9 or 10 levels of Wizard then - you can't turn the 16HD Dread Wraith even as a level 10 cleric without item assistance.

Optimystik
2009-11-06, 11:24 AM
1) Print out the Dread Wraith entry from the SRD
2) Crumple up the paper and burn it
3) Congratulations, award yourself some XP

Lapak
2009-11-06, 11:29 AM
So 9 or 10 levels of Wizard then - you can't turn the 16HD Dread Wraith even as a level 10 cleric without item assistance.I'd say Sorcerer instead - I doubt the Dread Wraith is going to wait around while he prepares spells. Take 10 levels of Sorcerer, take Teleport as one of your 5th level spells, and get out of there. Figure out a new strategy while it relentlessly tracks you down. :smallwink:

Assassin89
2009-11-06, 11:30 AM
So 9 or 10 levels of Wizard then - you can't turn the 16HD Dread Wraith even as a level 10 cleric without item assistance.

You can't turn the Dread Wraith drawn by a Deck of Many Things (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm#skull)

Also, when you die, who gets your stuff, because your prospects for surviving do not look good.

crazedloon
2009-11-06, 11:44 AM
ya looks like you are in a tight spot...

maybe you should get the two extra cards and hope for the fates

Ranos
2009-11-06, 11:52 AM
Find a way to get a permanent aura of daylight around you. The dread wraith will be unable to approach you. Of course, then it will probably go on a quest to find a powerful mage that could negate your aura, gain a few class level itself, and become the BBEG.

Radiun
2009-11-06, 11:57 AM
Plane Shift to the Positive Energy Plane?

The Glyphstone
2009-11-06, 11:59 AM
Plane Shift to the Positive Energy Plane?

And if it manages to follow you, you're toast....Undead can't fail the Fort save to EXPLODE FROM AWESOME, you can, and the PEP doesn't even have a sun for it to flee from...

Keshay
2009-11-06, 12:01 PM
Does the Dread Wraith count as a Summoned monster? If so, be a Cleric, cast Protection from Evil and start firing off Searing Lights. Its "Divine Power" so thats positive/negative energy, so it effects the creature, Wraiths are espically vulnerable to light, so you get d8/level so 9d8. Take Empower Spell and put it in your 5th level slot too (you'll want to boost Wis at both opportunities).

So first round, you'll survive even if you lose initiave and get hit. You cast Prot fr/ Evil and are good to go defense-wise. Second reound, Empowered Searing light does 9d8x1.5 (61damage on average); third round Searing Light, 40 avg damage, with luck the Wraith will be gone, but one more round of searing light finishes it off.

If the Dread Wraith is not a summoned creature, you'll have to hope it misses or rolls poorly on the Con Damage. You can still take it out in 2-3 rounds with Searing Light, but you'll need to get lucky.

JeenLeen
2009-11-06, 12:03 PM
Levels of an arcane caster.

I see Dread Wraiths have +5 Fort save. Is there any Fort save-or-die/destroy that can affect incorporeal Undead?

I believe there's a spell in Spell Compendium that temporarily makes an incorporeal creature corporeal, but I forget the name and level. If you can use that, mix it and Disintegrate.

As said above, have Teleport so you can run if you need to.
Can you take the feat 'Leadership'? If you need cheese to win, that could help.

Keshay
2009-11-06, 12:08 PM
And if it manages to follow you, you're toast....Undead can't fail the Fort save to EXPLODE FROM AWESOME, you can, and the PEP doesn't even have a sun for it to flee from...

Pretty sure he meant to Plane Shift the Wraith to the PEP, which is also problematic because 1) he'd have to succed on a touch attack and 2) it gets a Will save. His DC for the Place shift would be 17, so the Wraith can only fail on a 3 or less. Not a good idea to try this.

Getting a Daylight effect around you would have no effect since only Natural sunlight repels Wraiths, it specifically states the Daylight spell has no effect.

crazedloon
2009-11-06, 12:08 PM
well for starters go favored soul (go any prestige class of your choice that has full casting) 1 of your 5th level spells must be life's grace from spell compendium. Now you are immune to the con damage and therefore just having to worry about 2d6 damage a round (which really is not that much) now to be able to hit the stupid thing

Ice axe (with eschew materiel components) gets you a weapon and Undead bane weapon (2nd level spell) should help as it increases your damage and likelihood of hitting quite a bit. This combo allows you to do 2d12+2d6+2 damage per hit

LibraryOgre
2009-11-06, 12:11 PM
I'd go with levels of Sorcerer. I would then teleport to Florida and the James Randi Educational Foundation and win 1 million dollars (I can do that with cantrips... ray of frost should do it, and is hard to duplicate). That would give me time to plan. Another good option is to teleport always to a place where it is just now dawn, giving you time to rest and replenish your spells over the course of the day. Resist Energy: Cold and a trip to Antarctica would be another good option to buy some time.

ZeroNumerous
2009-11-06, 12:12 PM
Sorcerer 10. Lucent Lance. Eschew Material Components. Lucent Lance: 10d6 untyped damage plus light-sensitive creatures are exposed to full daylight for 1 round. Dread Wraith is powerless and flees from daylight. Next round: Repeat. You'd deal on average 35*3=105 damage. You have just defeated a Dread Wraith. If need be, use your pearl of power to shoot it again for an average of 140 damage.

EDIT: Or get the quick metamagic variant. Quickened Magic Missile + Force Missile. 5d4+5+6d6 = Average of 38 damage. Just gotta pop it four times before it offs you.

FinalJustice
2009-11-06, 12:15 PM
There's a theoretical trick that might do the job, but please, please, do not actually use it. There will be DM forbiddance followed by several ocurrences of book flinging in your general direction if you try it. It's the old Sanctum Spell + Arcane Fusion Infinite Magic Missile Barrage.

You have ten levels, which will be ten Sorcerer Levels. You will need the Sanctum Spell metamagic feat and the Arcane Fusion spell, as well as Magic Missiles. Arcane Fusion is a 5th level spell allows you to cast a 4th level spell and a 1st level spell using its 5th level slot. Sanctum Spell is a +0 metamagic feat that makes a spell count as one level higher when cast in your Sanctum and one level lower when cast outside your sanctum. You see where this is going. Cast Arcane Fusion, with Magic Missile as the first level spell and Sanctum Arcane Fusion as 4th level spell. Then you repeat it. Until you stop being amused.

Even without theoretical abuse, I think we are being overly pessimistic here. There's still a chance. As a 10th level Sorcerer, you have access to some Force based spells that might give you a fighting chance. Wings of Cover will cover (no pun intended) your defense for as long as you have 2nd spell slots and keep on moving to prevend full attack. A couple of Empowered Orbs of Force (Arcane Thesis it, if you may, or use Easy Metamagic on Empower Spell) has a good chance of finishing it off, and you can always finish the deal with Magic Missile. Your charisma is good, but not good enough to employ SoS/SoD tactics without some serious magic item going on, so go blaster on the Wraith face.

Edit: Brilliantly ninja'd by ZeroNumerous. Go with his spell =D

Lysander
2009-11-06, 12:23 PM
Here's what you do. Be a cleric. Cast Wind Walk and flee east while the Wraith flies after you. At dawn the Wraith loses it's powers and runs for cover, then you turn around and start pelting it with spells.

ZeroNumerous
2009-11-06, 12:24 PM
Heck, we can build on the blaster damage. Arcane Thesis'd Split Ray Empowered Lesser Orb of Force is only a 5th level spell. 10d8+(10d8/50%) or an average of 45+22=67 in a round. Combined with the rapid metamagic variant sorcerer and a simple Quickened Magic Missile and you've got 74 damage in one round. Certainly someone can do better.

Kalirren
2009-11-06, 12:24 PM
What time of day is it?

Dread wraiths are powerless in daylight and flee from it. The only way it can kill you is in the night.

Honestly, if you took 10 levels of Sorcerer from a Sun card, drawing as first-level Expert, in a situation where you also drew the Death card, as a DM I'd totally allow you to have Death Ward as a 4th level sorcerer spell. It would be entirely appropriate. (It's the Deck of Many Things, for Christ's sake!)

Then you could just blast the thing to oblivion with Magic Missile/Mordenkainen's Force Missiles, since it only does 2d6 damage per round. If you're casting Magic Missile, 5d4 + 5 damage per round is about 17, empowered for about 23. That's 5 castings. It would win initiative. So you're taking 1d8 con drain + probably 7 rounds damage of 14d6...hmm, you may not win...

Repeated Magic Missile would be a 4th-level slot and do twice as much damage, so that would be ~35 damage per 2 rounds, layerable...that would probably result in a win in 5 rounds for you, so 1d8 con drain + 10d6 damage is still not looking too good.

I think the bottom line here is that you really have to either kill the thing in two rounds without death ward, or have death ward and kill it within five, because two rounds of wraith attack that will almost certainly hit will bring you down an average of 8 Con without deathward, which is plenty to kill you with your d4 hit die and not-so-spectacular Con.

So:

Take Repeat Spell.

Take Nerveskitter, celerity, deathward, and magic missile for spells known. You may or may not win initative.

If you win initative, cast deathward.

If you lose initiative, cast celerity and then cast deathward.

Your following actions are repeated magic missiles, cast as full actions.

Things are not looking good, but you stand a chance.

Edit; Ninja'ed by a lot of good suggestions. I was just working off of what I knew off the top of my head. Arcane Fusion is definitely cheese...

Edit 2; Zeronumerous, his ranged touch attack modifier is +6. Ranged touch spells have a 10% chance of hitting the wraith's touch AC 25. We can't rely on ranged touch spells. Only magic missile and other auto-hit force spells will work.

Gothmog
2009-11-06, 12:33 PM
I'm surely missing something, but doesn't the Jester give 10 000 XP (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/artifacts.htm) ?
How do you get 10 levels from that ? Shoudn't you be level 5 ?

The Glyphstone
2009-11-06, 12:33 PM
He pulled the Sun instead I think.

Keshay
2009-11-06, 12:34 PM
Sun card gives 50000 xp. Both together, you get 60k

Gothmog
2009-11-06, 12:35 PM
My bad.
The Sun also gives him XP... :smalleek:

ZeroNumerous
2009-11-06, 12:36 PM
Arcane Thesis'd Maximized Manyjaws. Arcane Fusion'd with Empowered Magic Missile. The first deals only 30 damage due to a successful save that the Wraith will undoubtably make. The second deals 23 damage on average. 53 damage in a round.

Celerity->Arcane Fusion(Maximized Manyjaws + Empowered Magic Missile) on your first round. You lose 1d8 CON. Next round: Arcane Fusion again. You've dealt an average of 106 damage and it's gone.

Edit 2; Zeronumerous, his ranged touch attack modifier is +6. Ranged touch spells have a 10% chance of hitting the wraith's touch AC 25. We can't rely on ranged touch spells. Only magic missile and other auto-hit force spells will work.

I just thought of that. Hence this suggestion.

Douglas
2009-11-06, 12:46 PM
There's a theoretical trick that might do the job, but please, please, do not actually use it. There will be DM forbiddance followed by several ocurrences of book flinging in your general direction if you try it. It's the old Sanctum Spell + Arcane Fusion Infinite Magic Missile Barrage.

You have ten levels, which will be ten Sorcerer Levels. You will need the Sanctum Spell metamagic feat and the Arcane Fusion spell, as well as Magic Missiles. Arcane Fusion is a 5th level spell allows you to cast a 4th level spell and a 1st level spell using its 5th level slot. Sanctum Spell is a +0 metamagic feat that makes a spell count as one level higher when cast in your Sanctum and one level lower when cast outside your sanctum. You see where this is going. Cast Arcane Fusion, with Magic Missile as the first level spell and Sanctum Arcane Fusion as 4th level spell. Then you repeat it. Until you stop being amused.
This trick, and most other Arcane Fusion + metamagic exploits, have been hit by errata:

Page 96 – Arcane Fusion
[Addition]
Include clause, “If applying a
metamagic feat to a spell, use the
adjusted spell level and casting time
for purposes of determining eligibility
for Arcane Fusion.”

You use the level of the spell slot that casting the spell would take, not the actual level of the spell itself, to determine whether it can be selected for Arcane Fusion. Sanctum Arcane Fusion takes a 5th level slot and is not eligible for the 4th level spell gained from Arcane Fusion.

jiriku
2009-11-06, 12:46 PM
Yah as a sorcerer with force-based attack spells, wings of cover, and teleport, you can pretty much get a lock. Normally such an encounter would be quite difficult, but the combination of being able to tailor your entire build for this one fight and the wraith's daylight powerlessness puts the advantage in your court.

Kalirren
2009-11-06, 12:47 PM
Just curious, which book is Manyjaws in? Sounds like a good spell. I did a quickie search on Google and the only one I found was the one in Seven Sisters which does (casterlevel)d4 damage over time, save vs. spell for half. That can't be the one you're suggesting to use.

ZeroNumerous
2009-11-06, 12:48 PM
Just curious, which book is Manyjaws in? Sounds like a good spell. I did a quickie search on Google and the only one I found was the one in Seven Sisters which does (casterlevel)d4 damage over time, save vs. spell for half. That can't be the one you're suggesting to use.

Spell Compendium. 1 set of teeth per caster level deals a d6 per round with Ref for half. 10 sets, 10d6/round, ref for half.

Lysander
2009-11-06, 12:48 PM
For the record, the sun gives you a "useful" magic item. If a Pearl of Power isn't useful for you (which it won't be unless you become a spellcaster) you get to reroll until you get something beneficial.

ZeroNumerous
2009-11-06, 12:49 PM
For the record, the sun gives you a "useful" magic item. If a Pearl of Power isn't useful for you (which it won't be unless you become a spellcaster) you get to reroll until you get something beneficial.

There's no way to win aside from being a caster, so it's probably useful.

Gametime
2009-11-06, 12:51 PM
Does the Dread Wraith count as a Summoned monster? If so, be a Cleric, cast Protection from Evil and start firing off Searing Lights. Its "Divine Power" so thats positive/negative energy, so it effects the creature, Wraiths are espically vulnerable to light, so you get d8/level so 9d8. Take Empower Spell and put it in your 5th level slot too (you'll want to boost Wis at both opportunities).

So first round, you'll survive even if you lose initiave and get hit. You cast Prot fr/ Evil and are good to go defense-wise. Second reound, Empowered Searing light does 9d8x1.5 (61damage on average); third round Searing Light, 40 avg damage, with luck the Wraith will be gone, but one more round of searing light finishes it off.

If the Dread Wraith is not a summoned creature, you'll have to hope it misses or rolls poorly on the Con Damage. You can still take it out in 2-3 rounds with Searing Light, but you'll need to get lucky.

Dread Wraiths have Spring Attack, lifesense, and incorporeality. If things aren't going well for it, it can wait in walls or floors indefinitely while any protective buffs he casts run out; if he doesn't have any useful buffs, it can still attack him every turn while returning to the safety of the walls.

His chances really aren't good.

ZeroNumerous
2009-11-06, 12:53 PM
His chances really aren't good.

Teleport and/or Overland Flight would work, but you'd lose out on Arcane Fusion then.

Kalirren
2009-11-06, 12:56 PM
Well, the Pearl of Power is only useful for prepared spellcasters anyways, so if we're going with sorcerer, he gets a reroll.

Now I'm just being facetious, but I'd turn this into a game of bullfighting by taking a portable hole (only 20k gp!), the battle sorcerer variant, and Celerity...try to bag the dreadwraith and never let it out.

FinalJustice
2009-11-06, 01:05 PM
The whole hiding through walls is definitely concerning, but I guess that ultimately it's winnable. Ready a Magic Missile / Orb of Force / Wings of Flurry/ for when the damn Wraith attacks, and block it's attacks with Wings of Cover. Now is just a matter of having more spell-slots then it has hit points, which seems plausible.

You use the level of the spell slot that casting the spell would take, not the actual level of the spell itself, to determine whether it can be selected for Arcane Fusion. Sanctum Arcane Fusion takes a 5th level slot and is not eligible for the 4th level spell gained from Arcane Fusion.

Took me a while to understand it, but yes, by strict RAW, you seem correct. I see some margin of debate on the whole 'adjusted level' thing, as Sanctum Spell may be interpreted as 'adjusting the spell level for 1 level lower', but this discussion does not pertain to this topic. Unrelated, are there any discussions about this in other threads/forums, I would be interested in reading it.

Zovc
2009-11-06, 02:01 PM
I forgot to mention that I am (as far as I can tell) Neutral Good. This has no bearings on me being a sorceror, but does keep me from being certain classes or prestige classes. Now, that's not to say that suddenly becoming a badass wouldn't affect my alignment. I'd say that I'd be likely to take a step to either True Neutral or Chaotic Good if anything right off the bat (although I'd probably be most concerned with fighting the wraith than I would be about long-term goals or ethics).

I rolled again for my random medium wondrous item and got the following:
1-Chime of Interruption (pretty much useless through and through.)
2-Cloak of Resistance +4 (universally useful, I'd expect it to stop here.)
3-Gem of Brightness (pretty much useless.)
4-Eyes of Doom (almost completely useless against a dread wraith.)
5-Hand of Glory (not particularly useful.)
6-Figurine of Wondrous Power, Bronze Griffon.
7-Strand of Prayer Beads.
8-Periapt of Wisdom +4.
9-Broom of Flying (now that's what I'm talking about!)

Zovc
2009-11-06, 02:31 PM
Sorcerer 10. Lucent Lance. Eschew Material Components. Lucent Lance: 10d6 untyped damage plus light-sensitive creatures are exposed to full daylight for 1 round. Dread Wraith is powerless and flees from daylight. Next round: Repeat. You'd deal on average 35*3=105 damage. You have just defeated a Dread Wraith. If need be, use your pearl of power to shoot it again for an average of 140 damage.

What level is Lucent Lance, and what book is it in? What about Wings of Cover?

My level feat is Eschew Material Components, then.

I can quicken True Strike to get a +20 bonus to my ranged touch attack, right?

Is there an alternate class feature that replaces my familiar? I never did like familiars, is it worth having?

What about prestige classes? Can I qualify for any? Should I take any?

It seems like it might be possible for me to win as a sorceror, so I'll put my two ability points (level 4 and 8) into Charisma, giving me one extra 3rd-level spell a day, and making my saves 1 harder to make.

Lysander
2009-11-06, 03:08 PM
On the whole, you have a pretty sweet deal. You might die but there's a very good chance you'll live and remain a superpowerful sorcerer with a badass cloak.

Fluffles
2009-11-06, 03:11 PM
Wings of Cover is a 2nd level spell.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-06, 03:18 PM
With 10 levels, it's possible to beat most anything.

Cleric 3 / Ardent 1 / Psychic Theurge 6

Take Practiced Manifester, and Manifest as an Ardent 11 / Cleric 9.

Alternately:

Psion 1 / Wizard 1 (Precocious Apprentice) / Psion +2 / Cerebremancer 6

Psion 9 (ML 11)
Wizard 7 (CL 11)

Use Practiced Manifester / Practiced Spellcaster to keep the CL up.

If you can't take out a low HP undead with that many psion/wizard levels, you don't deserve the free levels.

Eloel
2009-11-06, 03:32 PM
Use Wings of Cover (assuming you're going Sorcerer 10). Congrats, you now have as many rounds as 2nd level spells to dispose of the Wraith.
Get Maximize. Get Arcane Thesis:Magic Missile.

You have 20 spells above 2nd level, use 10 for Wings of Cover, 10 to cast Max/Empower Magic Missile.

20 damage per casting of spell.
10 magic missiles, for 200 damage.

Good Game. Unless it wins initiative and crits at first touch with max-ish damage, you win.

Ponce
2009-11-06, 03:36 PM
Expert 1 / Sorcerer 5 / Force Missile Mage 3 / Argent Savant 1

Take: Arcane Thesis (Magic Missile), Combat Casting (prereq), and Quicken Spell.

Take the Fast Metamagic Alternate Class Feature.

You have access to 4th level spells.

Use your fourth-level slots to cast quickened missiles.

With FMM + AS, you cast two missiles a round (one normal, and one quickened), each dealing 6d4+12 damage.

Or, on average, 54 damage a round.

You kill it in two rounds.

Pretty good odds. You just have to hope one of the following happens:
-You somehow in initiative
-It somehow misses you once out of the two attacks it gets
-It rolls poorly on one of its con drain rolls
-You make one of the fortitude saves

If any one of the above happens, you win. Good luck!

Afterwards, see if you can retrain your feats into metamagic ones to make the whole magic missile focus more viable.

Zovc
2009-11-06, 03:56 PM
Expert 1 / Sorcerer 5 / Force Missile Mage 3 / Argent Savant 1

You're missing out on one level. +60k experience gives me 55, which is enough to become character level 11, that's one level of expert + 10 other levels.

What does Arcane Thesis do? Everyone keeps mentioning it.

Douglas
2009-11-06, 04:12 PM
Pick one spell you know. For that single spell you get +2 caster level and all metamagics cost one spell slot level less than normal. For example, if you have Arcane Thesis (Magic Missile), an Empowered Maximized Magic Missile would take a 1 + (2-1) + (3-1) = 4th level spell slot instead of the normal 6th level slot.

Optimystik
2009-11-06, 04:24 PM

It's a feat from PHB2 that lowers the metamagic level adjustment for a particular spell while raising your caster level for that spell at the same time. Found here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060501a&page=4)

Very helpful if you're a one-trick pony (like a missile mage.)

jiriku
2009-11-06, 04:53 PM
Wings of cover is in Races of the Dragon. 2nd level spell, immediate action cast, creates fluffy wings made of force that provide you with total cover for an instant and then disappear. I like to refer to it as Bigby's middle finger. Wings of flurry, a 4th-level spell that does uncapped 1d6/level force damage to every enemy within 30 feet of you, is also in that book. Truly, it is a righteous boom-hammer. Both are sorcerer-only spells.

Other force spells to look at are chain missile and lucent lance, both from Spell Compendium. Also consider celerity, from PHB2. In conjunction with dimension door or teleport, it is a good get-out-of-jail-free spell if something unexpected happens that wings of cover won't protect you from.

Zovc
2009-11-06, 05:57 PM
Expert 1 / Sorcerer 6 / Force Missile Mage 3 / Argent Savant 1

Take: Arcane Thesis (Magic Missile), Combat Casting (prereq), and Quicken Spell.

Take the Fast Metamagic Alternate Class Feature.
+Battle Sorceror, better HD.

You have access to 4th level spells.

Use your fourth-level slots to cast quickened missiles.

With FMM + AS, you cast two missiles a round (one normal, and one quickened), each dealing 6d4+12 damage.

Or, on average, 54 damage a round.

You kill it in two rounds.

Pretty good odds. You just have to hope one of the following happens:
-You somehow win initiative
(Not likely... >.>)
-It somehow misses you once out of the two attacks it gets
(There's Wings of Cover, I think I have this.)
-It rolls poorly on one of its con drain rolls
(Hopefully my Con isn't drained! >.<)
-You make one of the fortitude saves
(I've got a +10 [see Cloak of Resistance +4], I'd need a 15 or better. Slightly better than 25% I'll make it.)

If any one of the above happens, you win. Good luck!

Afterwards, see if you can retrain your feats into metamagic ones to make the whole magic missile focus more viable.

Let's see what happens!

Zovc
2009-11-06, 06:35 PM
Zovc goes to draw cards from the mystical deck, intent on drawing three cards. He picks the top three cards up all at once, then turns them to where he can see them: Skull, Sun, and Jester. Faced with dread first, but soon hope, Zovc realizes suddenly that he is not the same person he was before--he was practically a superhero (he even had the cape to go with it), capable of machine-gunning multiple bolts of arcane energy with ease.

Zovc's power trip is interrupted by a chill, he turns to see what resembles the mythic grim reaper; it attacks.

Initiative rolls!
Dread Wraith: 1d20+13 = 22 (9)
Zovc: 1d20+1 = 9 (8)

The wraith zips over to Zovc effortlessly, reaching for him with what resembles a hand. Before the ghost makes contact, Zovc shouts and flinches, his new cape wraps around him, protecting him from the attack.

Wraith's attack misses due to cover.
Zovc casted Wings of Cover as a 2nd-level spell, burning an appropriate slot. (4 2nd-level slots remaining; Base of 5 [+1 Cha, -1 Battle Sorceror])

In turn, Zovc effortlessly fans both hands across himself in opposite directions, each flinging three bolts of arcane energy. He takes a step away from the Wraith.

Swift Magic Missile automatically hits, dealing 6d4+12 damage: 30 (2, 4, 4, 1, 3, 4)
(Caster Level 8th = 4d4+4, Force Missile Mage = 5d4+5, Arcane Thesis = 6d4+6; Argent Savant gives +1 damage for each die = 6d4+12.)
Magic Missile automatically hits, dealing 6d4+12 damage: 24 (1, 1, 2, 2, 4, 2)
Five-foot step away from the Wraith.
(1 4th-level spell slot left; 5 1st-level spells left.)
(The Wraith has taken 54 damage.)

The Wraith doesn't relent, it moves into melee with Zovc again and makes another grab for its foe. Yet again, Zovc avoids with his cloak.

Zovc casted Wings of Cover as a 2nd-level spell, burning an appropriate slot. (3 2nd-level slots remaining.)

Again, Zovc whips his hands, launching six more missiles; he steps back yet again.

Swift Magic Missile automatically hits, dealing 6d4+12 damage: 26 (1, 1, 4, 3, 4, 1)
Magic Missile automatically hits, dealing 6d4+12 damage: 28 (4, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4)
Five-foot step away from the Wraith.
(0 4th-level spell slot left; 4 1st-level spells left.)
(The Wraith has taken 108 damage.)

As his missiles pelt the ghost, it writhes and shrieks as it disappears. Zovc is victorious!

EagleWiz
2009-11-06, 06:51 PM
I think you are only allowed to gain 1 level at a time. Will look it up

The Glyphstone
2009-11-06, 06:53 PM
I think you are only allowed to gain 1 level at a time. Will look it up

Normally yes, but it was apparently decided that Rule of Cool meant the DoMT overrode this restriction in the original thread.

Volkov
2009-11-06, 06:53 PM

Actually common sense dictates that the Positive energy plane works on undead much like the Negative energy plane works on the living.

oxinabox
2009-11-06, 06:55 PM
what about artificer?

Douglas
2009-11-06, 06:59 PM
Zovc casted Wings of Cover as a 2nd-level spell, burning an appropriate slot. (4 2nd-level slots remaining; Base of 5 [+1 Cha, -1 Battle Sorceror])
You have not acted yet in this combat, are therefore flat-footed, and cannot take the immediate action required to cast Wings of Cover.

Zovc casted Wings of Cover as a 2nd-level spell, burning an appropriate slot. (3 2nd-level slots remaining.)

Again, Zovc whips his hands, launching six more missiles; he steps back yet again.

Swift Magic Missile automatically hits, dealing 6d4+12 damage: 26 (1, 1, 4, 3, 4, 1)
The immediate action used to cast Wings of Cover uses up your swift action for your next turn. Any time you use Wings of Cover, you cannot cast a Quickened spell that round.

Volkov
2009-11-06, 06:59 PM
what about artificer?

I'm pretty sure you won't survive the dread wraith's con draining touch attacks long enough to build anything.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-06, 07:27 PM
Do you have Shape soulmeld feat (magic of Incarnum)? There is one that blocks 1 Con damage (extra essentia blocks 1 more each).

Douglas
2009-11-06, 07:43 PM
It's a bit late to spend an hour shaping a soulmeld when you're about to roll initiative.

Zovc
2009-11-06, 08:06 PM
You have not acted yet in this combat, are therefore flat-footed, and cannot take the immediate action required to cast Wings of Cover.

The immediate action used to cast Wings of Cover uses up your swift action for your next turn. Any time you use Wings of Cover, you cannot cast a Quickened spell that round.

In that case, I suppose I would lose some Constitution, then win... more slowly.

I think my strategy would be one Magic Missile a turn and Wings of Cover in against attacks. Perhaps there is a safer way?

Here's a con save against 25, I have a +10 modifier.

1d20+10 = 16 (6), I'll suffer some constitution drain when he hits me.

Volkov
2009-11-06, 08:09 PM
The wraith can still hit you for normal damage. So even if you make the save, you'll still get hurt. Or at least i think...

Kalirren
2009-11-07, 07:33 AM
0) The immediate-swift thing was mentioned before.

1) Does Arcane Thesis raise the damage cap of Magic Missile, which would otherwise be capped at 5 missiles? All the feat description says is +2 caster level.

2) You're a sorcerer, you cast spotaneously, you automatically take a full-round to metamagic a spell you haven't prepared as such. You can't possibly quicken anything unless you take Arcane Preparation, but you have no time to prepare spells.

Of course, I guess Wings of Cover makes the whole thing moot anyway, since you *will* survive any non-crit and you have enough rounds of it to kill the wraith with that+MM for 5d4+10 alone.

Good job.

Zovc
2009-11-07, 11:27 AM
0) The immediate-swift thing was mentioned before.

1) Does Arcane Thesis raise the damage cap of Magic Missile, which would otherwise be capped at 5 missiles? All the feat description says is +2 caster level.

The first level of Force Missile Mage gives me an extra missile (and can exceed the limit of 5). The next two levels give me sorcerer casting progression. Arcane Thesis gives me +2 caster level so I cast as a sorcerer 8, or a sorcerer 10 when casting Magic Missile. Argent Savant gives me +1 damage for each die I roll with [force] descriptor spells.

2) You're a sorcerer, you cast spotaneously, you automatically take a full-round to metamagic a spell you haven't prepared as such. You can't possibly quicken anything unless you take Arcane Preparation, but you have no time to prepare spells.

I took the Metamagic Specialist Alternate Class Feature from the Player's Handbook II at first level (along with Battle Sorceror from Unearthed Arcana). Instead of getting a familiar at 1st level, I can apply metamagic without increasing the casting time of a spell.

On that note, shouldn't I probably just take Empower Spell (instead of Quicken) and raise my spell's level by 2 (3-1) [I'll be using my 3rd level spells instead to do 36 damage each casting]?

Of course, I guess Wings of Cover makes the whole thing moot anyway, since you *will* survive any non-crit and you have enough rounds of it to kill the wraith with that+MM for 5d4+10 alone.

Good job.

Yeah, the spell seams kind of broken when you've got a 15-minute workday, but then again, aren't most?

Thanks! All I need to do now is find a cleric to restore my Constitution damage. I suppose I can now begin my mission for power in hopes of protecting those in need.

Fizban
2009-11-07, 05:57 PM
I'd just like to point out that you don't have any spells ready. Just like douglas pointed out about soulmelds, you haven't rested and prepared spells, so even if you are suddenly a 10th level caster, you're still screwed.

The only choice I see is Warlock. Take Fell Flight, fly up up and away from any walls and blast away till it's gone. I'm pretty sure it's faster than you but them's the breaks. If you can find an essence that changes your blast into a force effect that would help. I'd suggest some binder and Naberious to regenerate your ability damage, but you don't have time to bind a vestige either.

You could try searching some undead hunting PrCs. Stuff like turning and x/day class features should be available immediately, maybe a Spirit Shaman to chastise spirits it to death.

Starbuck_II
2009-11-07, 06:01 PM
I'd just like to point out that you don't have any spells ready. Just like douglas pointed out about soulmelds, you haven't rested and prepared spells, so even if you are suddenly a 10th level caster, you're still screwed.

The only choice I see is Warlock. Take Fell Flight, fly up up and away from any walls and blast away till it's gone. I'm pretty sure it's faster than you but them's the breaks. If you can find an essence that changes your blast into a force effect that would help. I'd suggest some binder and Naberious to regenerate your ability damage, but you don't have time to bind a vestige either.

You could try searching some undead hunting PrCs. Stuff like turning and x/day class features should be available immediately, maybe a Spirit Shaman to chastise spirits it to death.

Actually it takes 1 full round to bind a vestige of you take -10 penalty to the deal. (mostly a bad bind)

Kalirren
2009-11-07, 10:14 PM
I was sort of assuming that a spontaneous caster wouldn't have to prepare spells. As long as he'd slept for 8 hours before having drawn from that deck, he'd be in spellcasting shape and would be able to cast.

Still, if you'd like to be that strict about it, then if you can't do it with sorcerer, maybe you could do it with Psion or Wilder, since they just have power points?

Myrmex
2009-11-07, 10:44 PM
I'd go with levels of Sorcerer. I would then teleport to Florida and the James Randi Educational Foundation and win 1 million dollars (I can do that with cantrips... ray of frost should do it, and is hard to duplicate). That would give me time to plan. Another good option is to teleport always to a place where it is just now dawn, giving you time to rest and replenish your spells over the course of the day. Resist Energy: Cold and a trip to Antarctica would be another good option to buy some time.

Start teleporting things into outer space and live out there. It's daytime 24/7. That thing won't be able to leave the shadow of our planet to get to you.