PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Queen is dead. Long live the Queen.

jiriku
2009-11-06, 05:37 PM
I am contemplating a backup character should my current character die. The backup will be Ashram Planeswalker, githyanki battlemage and adventurer extraordinaire. As a Sorcerer/Incantatrix/Paragnostic Apostle, he is an incomparable blaster and and capable at providing combat support as well via various control and buffing spells.

Problem: Our campaign will run to 20th level, and Vlaakith the githyanki lich queen terminates any githyanki who exceed 16th level. Thus, right before the end of the campaign, I could meet an untimely end at the hands of a githyanki death-squad.

So, how can I either unseat Vlaakith or persuade her to let me alone? My resources (ahem, fellow pary members) include:

a human samurai/knight, effective at tanking and melee dps
his human healer cohort, a basic healbot
a changeling rogue/assassin/thief-acrobat
a human warlock
an elven hexblade

My spell selection will be highly focused towards ally buffing, self-defense, and blasting. By level 17, my burst damage potential will range from several hundred to several thousand damage per round, depending on how closely packed the targets may be.

Toliudar
2009-11-06, 05:40 PM
Get someone to polymorph-any-object you into a githzerai, or something. Now you're no longer a problem for her!

JonestheSpy
2009-11-06, 05:42 PM
Try hiding. Whatever your damage potential is, hers is more. And she has an army of high level minions who ride red dragons.

I suggest your character makes a heavy investment in anti-detection magic.

Saph
2009-11-06, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I'd recommend Mind Blank for your first eight-level spell once you turn level 14th. Then keep it up 24/7.

Akal Saris
2009-11-06, 06:54 PM
Get someone to polymorph-any-object you into a githzerai, or something. Now you're no longer a problem for her!

She might have a problem with high level githzerai too, if you think about it :smalltongue:

Dhavaer
2009-11-06, 06:54 PM
Yeah, I'd recommend Mind Blank for your first eight-level spell once you turn level 14th. Then keep it up 24/7.

Shouldn't that be level 16th? Or am I missing something?

jiriku
2009-11-06, 06:59 PM
I think Saph is suggesting that the sooner I start hiding, the better my chances of survival are.

Draz74
2009-11-07, 12:46 AM
Kill her before she kills you?

I mean, I hate to state the obvious, as this is typically the solution that would occur to D&D adventurers ... but someone had to say it ...

OracleofWuffing
2009-11-07, 02:25 AM
From what I'm reading, Vlaakith won't kill you, she'll just devour your life essence. So, your goal is to either find a way to live without your life essence, or make it horribly difficult to devour your life essence. I guess you could sign away your soul upon death to some random evil deity that stands a chance against Vlaakith, so if you die, she dies, and I don't think she'll be that stupid. Then there's always the "Become a lich, stick your phylactery in a bag of holding, pierce the bag of holding with a toothpick" method. That way, your life essence is lost forever, you can't find it and she can't find it, you're clear, don't think too hard about it.

Oh, she has no ranks in diplomacy.

Lycanthromancer
2009-11-07, 02:34 AM
Hit her with major Diplomancy? Hit a DC 250 check by level 20 and she'll be your devoted slave. Forever.