PDA

View Full Version : Feat: Divine Patron (PEACH)

Lysander
2009-11-08, 06:37 PM
A common complaint is that Fighters and other non-casters become incredibly weak compared to magicians at high levels. Well yeah, in the long run being able to override the laws of physics is a more powerful approach. There are some actions that are simply impossible to pull off without magic, like surviving a plunge from a high altitudes or shifting to another plane.

How can a fighter compete with all the magicians? By becoming favored by a higher being. Just like Greek warriors outside Troy, deities notice high level characters and develop an interest in their success. By acquiring a Divine Patron a fighter can get that tiny magical edge necessary to survive.

Divine Patron
Prerequisites: Character level 10, Non-caster, Embodying an aspect of a divine portfolio

A person who closely matches a deity's ideal may be noticed and gain divine protection. Once per day the person may beg their patron deity to aid them with a cleric spell level 5 or lower. The spell can be any that deity's clerics can cast, and functions as if cast by the favored person with a caster level equal to their character level. Asking for a spell is a standard action that requires speaking out loud, or a full-round action spent thinking prayers. A person who acts against their patron's ethos may lose use of this daily favor until they atone.

Greater Favor
Prerequisite: Divine Patron, Character level 17

In addition to their lower level favor, the patronized person can request one level 8 or lower spell each day. They may also request a Miracle from their deity, but doing so causes them to lose use of their Greater Favor for 30 days. To request a very powerful miracle a character must spend 5,000xp as if they had cast the spell.

Silverscale
2009-11-08, 07:56 PM
I don't know an entire feat for one spell a day......if you have a well balanced party this would be only slightly useful. I like the idea but I think it could be better somehow.

JKTrickster
2009-11-08, 08:24 PM
I agree with Silverscale. This hardly seems to even the playing field as much as you claim. I mean, looking at the Greek Warriors for example at the Trojan War, the gods were LITERALLY fighting alongside them, making sure they were alive.

Sounds pretty much epic to me.

On a smaller scale, if done incorrectly it might just change fighters into paladins or clerics. How would your feat make sure things differ?

Temotei
2009-11-10, 03:06 AM
Why only cleric spells? Why not include any divine casting class?