PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Spirit (3.5 LA +0 Template)

Solaris
2009-11-11, 05:56 AM
Shadow Spirit
This is a template intended for application onto a PC race (warforged is a favorite) to represent a person born with an unusual soul, one not entirely ordinary.

Personality: Haunted by fleeting, hazy memories of the Shadow Realm, shadow-spirited creatures are often emotionally shut-off and can seem quite cold and brusque to others. They're just not very good at emoting compared to the much more vibrant mortals, lending them a sinister air.

Physical Description: Shadow spirits look like ordinary members of their race, but they tend to have grey-toned hair and pallid skin, often blue-tinged. Shadow spirits have fist-sized inky black gemstones embedded in their chests as if they grew there, and their eyes are of a matching color with irises of deep indigo or midnight blue. The shadow spirit's gemstone glows softly with an inner fire, but not bright enough to illuminate.
Unlike mortals, the shadow-spirited creature has no shadow.

Relations: A shadow-spirited child is born but rarely, and they find little welcome among many of the mortal races. The main exceptions are the myrmidons, who understand quite well their plight, and the goblins who value their natural aptitude for sneaking quite highly.

Alignment: Shadow spirits tend to be neutral and apathetic, rarely leaning towards any moral or ethical extreme.

Shadow Spirit Lands: As refugees from the Plane of Shadow, shadow-spirited creatures are most common in areas where the Plane of Shadow is particularly close to the Material Plane.

Religion: Though commonly agnostic, some shadow spirits revere the moon patron Lunitari Volaci as the Light in the Darkness who guided the first of their kind to the Mortal Realms.

Language: Curiously, few shadow spirits recall the languages they spoke in the Shadow Realms. They generally speak the languages of the race they grew up with.

Names: Shadow-spirited creatures usually have normal names for their kinds, often with an epithet related to their uncanny stealth.

Adventurers: Shadow spirits take naturally to the rogue class, but those of a more martial bent are rangers or riflemen. Many become monks to try and stave off the Shadow Curse,

Shadow Spirit Racial Traits
'Shadow spirit' is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence of at least 3. (referred to hereafter as the "base creature"). A shadow spirit uses all of the base creature's statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: The creature's type does not change.

Special Qualities: A shadow spirit has all the special qualities of the base creature, plus the following special qualities.
Ageless: The shadow spirit's bodies don't decay with age, but rather their minds erode. They do not gain penalties to their physical ability scores for aging, but at each age category they take -2 penalties to each mental ability score. While a shadow-spirited creature can live forever, it's often a poor quality of life.
Superior Low-Light Vision (Ex): The shadow spirit can see three times as far as a human can in conditions of poor illumination. It retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under such conditions.
Light Sensitivity (Ex): The shadow spirit is nauseated and takes a -1 penalty to attack rolls, skill and ability checks, saves, and AC in bright light. Sudden exposure blinds the shadow spirit for 1 round. Wearing smoked lenses alone does not negate these effects. Covering the entire body while wearing smoked lenses over the eyes will protect against the nausea and blindness, but not the penalties.
Shadow Curse (Su): The Plane of Shadow exerts a tremendous pull on the shadow spirit's soul, which is only tenuously connected to its body. It suffers a -2 penalty on all saves against divine spells. In addition, any time the shadow creature is subjected to negative energy damage it must make a Will save (DC 11) or suffer 1 point each of Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma damage. If any of the shadow spirit's mental ability scores are reduced to 0 by this, it is drawn back to the Plane of Shadow and slips into a coma. The shadow spirit cannot recover from this coma until treated with a remove curse spell, at which point it recovers the ability damage normally.
Shadow-Walker (Su): While in conditions of shadowy illumination, the shadow spirit gains full concealment.
Hide in Plain Sight (Su): The shadow spirit can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as it is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a shadow spirit can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. The shadow spirit cannot hide in its own shadow, as it lacks one completely.
Umbral Cloak (Su): The shadow spirit gains a +2 deflection bonus to its armor class. It also has a +4 racial bonus to Hide checks.
Unnatural Aura: Shadow spirits take a -2 penalty to Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Handle Animal checks due to the sense of the mildly unnatural about them. They receive a +2 bonus on Intimidate checks. Creatures within a 5-foot radius of the shadow spirit must make a Will save (DC Charisma-based) or be shaken so long as they remain within that aura. Succeeding on a save renders a creature immune to that shadow spirit's unnatural aura for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting fear-based effect.

Abilities: Adjust from the base creature as follows: -2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con.

Favored Class: Rogue. This replaces the base creature's favored class.

Level Adjustment: Same as base creature +0.

Rettu Skcollob
2009-11-11, 06:24 AM
Awesome. I like this a lot.

Baron Corm
2009-11-11, 11:30 AM
Needs to have at least LA +1. Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason not to apply this to every Dexterity-based character. Also, how can they be agnostic in a world full of spell-casting clerics?

DracoDei
2009-11-11, 11:42 AM
By thinking that Clerics are just Wizards who access power by their own Faith, rather than their being something they are connection to... read the rules for "cleric of a concept" in the PHB (in the rules for the cleric class, in the section about selecting a deity). They think that a lot of clerics just pick a pre-existing concept that the clerics THINK exists independently of the belief about it.

In Ebberon, is actually QUITE plausible.

Cyanic
2009-11-11, 01:09 PM
Seems a smidge too good for a +0 LA, toss on something small like an innate penalty to all social rolls (-4 seems about right) to represent the "find little welcome among many of the mortal races" part and I think you will have hit it on the head.

vampire2948
2009-11-11, 01:27 PM
Needs to have at least LA +1. Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason not to apply this to every Dexterity-based character. Also, how can they be agnostic in a world full of spell-casting clerics?

Agnosticism is just not being sure which religion to follow. It is not Atheism, which is belief that all religions are incorrect, as there is/are no God/Gods.
Agnosticism is perfectly possible in D&D.

TabletopNuke
2009-11-11, 01:34 PM
I like this idea a lot, especially the bit about how their minds erode.

However, I think a -2 penalty to Charisma is in order. Not only would it fit their withdrawn personalities very well, it would also help balance out their special abilities.

Fiery Diamond
2009-11-11, 02:38 PM
Agnosticism is just not being sure which religion to follow. It is not Atheism, which is belief that all religions are incorrect, as there is/are no God/Gods.
Agnosticism is perfectly possible in D&D.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

*cough*
It also doesn't mean what the other person thought it meant.
*clears throat*

Agnosticism does NOT mean indecision about what religion to follow. To clarify: Atheism is the belief that there is/are no God/Gods. Agnosticism is the belief that it is impossible to be absolutely sure whether there is/are (a) God/Gods or not. Generally, agnostics behave as if there is/are no God/Gods, simply because it would be wasted effort to act as if there is/are (a) God/Gods if in fact there is/are not. My pet name for agnostics who say "I can't know, so I don't care" is apathist. However, there are also agnostics who actively try to determine whether there is/are (a) God/Gods, but due to the "lack" or "subjectivity" of any "evidence," are mostly convinced that their search for truth is doomed to failure.

All three could be done in a D&D world easily - Atheist ("those Clerics are getting power from their belief/concept, they just think there's a deity connected to it"), Apathist Agnostic ("It's completely possible that those Clerics are getting power from their belief/concept, and I don't really have the ability to know for sure whether they have a deity connected to it, so I don't really care - they can belief what they want, but it won't affect how I behave), and Searching Agnostic ("I want to know whether there are deities, but I have no way of determining whether the Clerics are right or not about it - it might just be power from their belief/concept. I'll keep looking to see if I can find concrete evidence as I go about my business, but I'm not terribly hopeful because I've never encountered any solid proof in the past").

On the main topic: Yeah, this looks LA +0 to me. I dunno why people think it needs an LA.

Altaria87
2009-11-11, 03:13 PM
The reason to not apply it is the Con penalty

Solaris
2009-11-11, 03:34 PM
Seems a smidge too good for a +0 LA, toss on something small like an innate penalty to all social rolls (-4 seems about right) to represent the "find little welcome among many of the mortal races" part and I think you will have hit it on the head.

I gave 'em -2 Diplo, Gather Info, and Handle Animal. It fits the fluff, and I don't want to give them another -2 penalty to an ability score like Nuke suggested.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

*cough*
It also doesn't mean what the other person thought it meant.
*clears throat*

Agnosticism does NOT mean indecision about what religion to follow. To clarify: Atheism is the belief that there is/are no God/Gods. Agnosticism is the belief that it is impossible to be absolutely sure whether there is/are (a) God/Gods or not. Generally, agnostics behave as if there is/are no God/Gods, simply because it would be wasted effort to act as if there is/are (a) God/Gods if in fact there is/are not. My pet name for agnostics who say "I can't know, so I don't care" is apathist. However, there are also agnostics who actively try to determine whether there is/are (a) God/Gods, but due to the "lack" or "subjectivity" of any "evidence," are mostly convinced that their search for truth is doomed to failure.

All three could be done in a D&D world easily - Atheist ("those Clerics are getting power from their belief/concept, they just think there's a deity connected to it"), Apathist Agnostic ("It's completely possible that those Clerics are getting power from their belief/concept, and I don't really have the ability to know for sure whether they have a deity connected to it, so I don't really care - they can belief what they want, but it won't affect how I behave), and Searching Agnostic ("I want to know whether there are deities, but I have no way of determining whether the Clerics are right or not about it - it might just be power from their belief/concept. I'll keep looking to see if I can find concrete evidence as I go about my business, but I'm not terribly hopeful because I've never encountered any solid proof in the past").

On the main topic: Yeah, this looks LA +0 to me. I dunno why people think it needs an LA.

It's mostly the Apathist variety, ja. Real people are capable of fervent devotion, but these guys are just, ahem, shadows of real folk.

The reason to not apply it is the Con penalty

Yes, precisely.

DragoonWraith
2009-11-11, 04:48 PM
It honestly seems kind of weak. Net loss of abilities (and no one can ignore a -2 Con), net loss in skills, the mind erosion thing is a significant penalty if it ever comes into play (but almost certainly won't), the low-light vision isn't incredible and is more than counter-acted by light sensitivity, and then you get +2 AC. Seems like a lot of drawbacks, and the only thing you gain is +2 Dex and +2 AC...

Solaris
2009-11-11, 08:08 PM
It honestly seems kind of weak. Net loss of abilities (and no one can ignore a -2 Con), net loss in skills, the mind erosion thing is a significant penalty if it ever comes into play (but almost certainly won't), the low-light vision isn't incredible and is more than counter-acted by light sensitivity, and then you get +2 AC. Seems like a lot of drawbacks, and the only thing you gain is +2 Dex and +2 AC...

... at LA +0 as a template on a pre-existing race. I can't give it a lot or make it terribly strong without giving it +1 or higher.

Milskidasith
2009-11-11, 08:55 PM
... at LA +0 as a template on a pre-existing race. I can't give it a lot or make it terribly strong without giving it +1 or higher.

It's not even worth an LA +0. It's a net negative to anything except maybe theoretical Charop builds to get the most AC. Even then, it's a +3 bonus to AC for a crapload of drawbacks.

sigurd
2009-11-11, 11:05 PM
Shadow spirits have fist-sized inky black gemstones embedded in their chests as if they grew there,

Why? This might look sort of cool on a warforged but it represents a definite stretch for the female elf....

Sigurd

Temotei
2009-11-12, 12:22 AM
Shadow Curse (Su): The Plane of Shadow exerts a tremendous pull on the shadow spirit's soul, which is only tenuously connected to its body. It suffers a -2 penalty on all saves against divine spells. In addition, any time the shadow creature is subjected to negative energy damage it must make a Will save (DC 15) or suffer 1 point each of Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma damage. If any of the shadow spirit's mental ability scores are reduced to 0 by this, it is permanently drawn back to the Plane of Shadow and can only be restored from its coma by a wish or miracle.

Big ouch. I'd lower the Will save DC to something like 10 or 12, seeing as how rogues tend to have minimal Wisdom and Will save bonuses. Also, maybe make the penalty just -1 to saves against divine spells.

Ageless: The shadow spirit's bodies don't decay with age, but rather their minds erode. They do not gain penalties to their physical ability scores for aging, but at each age category they take -2 penalties to each mental ability score. While a shadow-spirited creature can live forever, it's often a poor quality of life.

This isn't such a bad penalty, considering a character rarely gets this far. Only for NPCs would it be bad. In fact, this ability is good for melee classes...I like it. It's also on par with the cumulative -6 penalty to all physical abilities with normal characters who have aged. Technically, I suppose, this takes away a total of +3 for three abilities, so a +9 total to ability scores, in the end, but it's still alright, in my opinion.

...emotionally shut-off and can seem quite cold and brusque to others. They're just not very good at emoting compared to the much more vibrant mortals.
Unnatural Aura: Shadow spirits take a -2 penalty to Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Handle Animal checks due to the sense of the mildly unnatural about them.

The first sentence makes it seem like Intimidate bonuses wouldn't be absurd...the second line takes away from that. Unnatural aura, simply because of its name, seems in line with it, too. Your call.

Solaris
2009-11-12, 11:50 PM
Why? This might look sort of cool on a warforged but it represents a definite stretch for the female elf....

Sigurd

Did you seriously post that? Dude, come on. We're talking about a setting where fish older than time turn people into slimy freaks, four-legged birds kill people with their hellish farts, ghosts babble people into a coma, green-skinned angels lead celestial armies, candelabras do song-and-dance routines, giant burrowing roaches spit acid and aerates soil, shapechanging spiders cast magic spells, glowing balls annoy Good-aligned and Evil-aligned adventurers for very different reasons, four-winged birds who don't seem to have a bottom half belch lightning bolts, vines come to life and kill people, three-armed giants wander around munching slow-moving peasants, flaming dwarves pop in every once in a while to give non-flaming dwarves lessons on being stubborn, and that's just the A section of the Monster Manual. A black gem in the chest because the character was suborned before birth by a shadow-plane entity doesn't really blip the radar for 'strange'.

All of the planetouched variants in my setting have that. It's a physical manifestation of the outsider that's controlling the mortal body. It helps them be more 'alien', less normal-seeming than their human kin.

Big ouch. I'd lower the Will save DC to something like 10 or 12, seeing as how rogues tend to have minimal Wisdom and Will save bonuses. Also, maybe make the penalty just -1 to saves against divine spells.

Hm. That's a good point. I was about to say "You could fix that with such-and-such," but a race shouldn't have to focus on improving a Will save to avoid an encounter with an evil cleric or undead being fatal for a rogue.
Well, even more fatal.
I'm also thinking that reducing the spell required to recover down to remove curse would be a good idea.

This isn't such a bad penalty, considering a character rarely gets this far. Only for NPCs would it be bad. In fact, this ability is good for melee classes...I like it. It's also on par with the cumulative -6 penalty to all physical abilities with normal characters who have aged. Technically, I suppose, this takes away a total of +3 for three abilities, so a +9 total to ability scores, in the end, but it's still alright, in my opinion.

Yes. It's one of those things that people wouldn't suffer from unless they deliberately chose to.

The first sentence makes it seem like Intimidate bonuses wouldn't be absurd...the second line takes away from that. Unnatural aura, simply because of its name, seems in line with it, too. Your call.

Yeah, I was considering that too. Maybe even some low-grade fear effect, too.
I'm also thinking darkvision would be a good idea. They are, after all, spirits of darkness.

Navi_halfbeast
2009-11-13, 01:23 AM
Did you seriously post that? Dude, come on. We're talking about a setting where fish older than time turn people into slimy freaks, four-legged birds kill people with their hellish farts, ghosts babble people into a coma, green-skinned angels lead celestial armies, candelabras do song-and-dance routines, giant burrowing roaches spit acid and aerates soil, shapechanging spiders cast magic spells, glowing balls annoy Good-aligned and Evil-aligned adventurers for very different reasons, four-winged birds who don't seem to have a bottom half belch lightning bolts, vines come to life and kill people, three-armed giants wander around munching slow-moving peasants, flaming dwarves pop in every once in a while to give non-flaming dwarves lessons on being stubborn, and that's just the A section of the Monster Manual. A black gem in the chest because the character was suborned before birth by a shadow-plane entity doesn't really blip the radar for 'strange'.

I just wanted to say, that this...this made me really happy. I felt you should know. :redface:

Temotei
2009-11-13, 01:50 AM
I just wanted to say, that this...this made me really happy. I felt you should know. :redface:

Hahahaha...:smallbiggrin: Me too. I didn't even read it all. :smallamused:

I'm also thinking that reducing the spell required to recover down to remove curse would be a good idea.

Agreed.

Yeah, I was considering that too. Maybe even some low-grade fear effect, too.
I'm also thinking darkvision would be a good idea. They are, after all, spirits of darkness.

Indeed. That makes much sense. A fear effect would be sweet, as long as you didn't go overboard. :smalltongue: If they already have darkvision, just add 60 feet?

Solaris
2009-11-13, 04:01 PM
Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week.

I added in a 5-ft save-or-shaken aura, standard DC (everyone assumes 10 + HD + Cha when they see 'save DC is Charisma-based', right?)

Temotei
2009-11-13, 05:17 PM
Hide in Plain Sight (Su): The shadow spirit can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as it is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a shadow spirit can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. The shadow spirit cannot hide in its own shadow, as it lacks one completely.

That's a powerful ability. The penalties might offset it, but still...it takes away from the ranger (already underpowered) and scout classes, too. Consider either canning this, or changing it to something else. Hide in Plain Sight -- Level 17 ranger, level 14 scout, level 1 shadowdancer (but requires level 7, if built to take it).

sigurd
2009-11-13, 10:51 PM
All of the planetouched variants in my setting have that. It's a physical manifestation of the outsider that's controlling the mortal body. It helps them be more 'alien', less normal-seeming than their human kin.

You don't mind if I modify this such that a rock grows on living constructs and a faint light, beating in sympathy with the hosts heart, manifests in creatures of flesh and blood.

Its not like the gem is wrong, but to quote The Princess Bride...

"There is a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours."....

Its an ascetic thing.

Sigurd

Eurus
2009-11-13, 10:58 PM
That's a powerful ability. The penalties might offset it, but still...it takes away from the ranger (already underpowered) and scout classes, too. Consider either canning this, or changing it to something else. Hide in Plain Sight -- Level 17 ranger, level 14 scout, level 1 shadowdancer (but requires level 7, if built to take it).

Also given by the Dark template, which is only LA +1 and has no drawbacks at all if I remember correctly.

Temotei
2009-11-13, 11:11 PM
Also given by the Dark template, which is only LA +1 and has no drawbacks at all if I remember correctly.

I've not seen that template. What book is it in?

Solaris
2009-11-13, 11:38 PM
I've not seen that template. What book is it in?

Tome of Magic, pp 158-161.

Shadowbane
2009-11-13, 11:40 PM
Just popped in to tell you that I love this template, and I think it's going to be in a campaign I'm running! Thank you for making this!

Temotei
2009-11-14, 12:33 AM
Alright. I've looked at it. I'm thinking this template, as is, is good. :smallsmile: I commend you on a job well done.

boomwolf
2009-11-14, 07:55 AM
I like it...

But it is FAR too weak for anyone to EVER take it.

Take away some penalties. its simply unplayable, even as a LA +0 template.

Temotei
2009-11-14, 07:51 PM
I like it...

But it is FAR too weak for anyone to EVER take it.

Take away some penalties. its simply unplayable, even as a LA +0 template.

I disagree. While it may be slightly weaker than a normal LA +0 template, it's playable. Especially for a rogue/assassin type. I agree that it's tough to play (especially for everyone who doesn't have Hide), but it's playable. Maybe making it a -1 LA...or just taking away from the light sensitivity, or the weakness to clerical spells.