PDA

View Full Version : One step closer to lunar vacations!

Telonius
2009-11-13, 01:24 PM
Just being reported on CNN now - NASA found water (http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/space/11/13/water.moon.nasa/index.html)on the moon.

KataraAltinaII
2009-11-13, 01:26 PM
it's good to know that blowing up part of the moon was not wasted then, eh? :smallamused:

hamishspence
2009-11-13, 01:27 PM
I've seen references prior to this- ice in polar craters spotted by the Clementine probe, and some references to there being a lot of water in the lunar soil.

Renegade Paladin
2009-11-13, 01:39 PM
Wow, bombing the moon actually worked! :smallbiggrin:

Trog
2009-11-13, 02:35 PM
Cool! *waits around for Phase to come up with some nifty avatar to mark the occasion* :smallsmile:

Starscream
2009-11-13, 02:41 PM
Wow, bombing the moon actually worked! :smallbiggrin:

Honestly, is there any aspect of human existence that can't be improved by a plan as inherently awesome as "bomb the moon"?

Gamerlord
2009-11-13, 02:57 PM
Screw vacations! MOON ARMY BASES!

Mando Knight
2009-11-13, 03:17 PM
Screw vacations! MOON ARMY BASES!

Space Marines. Not Army. Space Marines. With a starship construction yard in lunar orbit using a space-elevator from the moon's surface for materials transmission. And lassoed asteroids to get extra nickel for making super-alloys...

Phase
2009-11-13, 03:18 PM
Cool! *waits around for Phase to come up with some nifty avatar to mark the occasion* :smallsmile:

Shhhh. If few enough people know, then that bastard Wargo won't try anything for a while.

Feh. If there's one thing I thought I would always be free of, it's tourists. :smallannoyed:

Ilena
2009-11-13, 03:19 PM
Those dont exsist .... i dont know what your talkin about .... *whispers somthing to someone over her shoulder* hey umm ya you are going to be around your computer for awhile right? Death squads are ever so tempermental when they have to hunt, i say they are getting to lazy but who would complain to one of them?

Gamerlord
2009-11-13, 03:22 PM
[sarcasm] I wish Obama wouldn't underfund our ORBITAL SPACE MARINE TASK FORCE so much [sarcasm]

Coatl Ruu
2009-11-13, 04:17 PM
All we need now is a reactor that can crack oxygen out of moon soil.

Oh, wait: http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/090924-moon-oxygen.html

Gamerlord
2009-11-13, 04:50 PM
But when are we going to outfit our rockets with LASERS!!!!!
And when we be gettin hyberdrive?

Copacetic
2009-11-13, 07:11 PM
Very cool.

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-11-13, 07:37 PM
The rabbits will not be pleased.

On a less referential note, was there ever any doubt?

Now we just have to make some progress on Mars.:smallwink:

nanobot_swarm
2009-11-13, 08:15 PM

But then we might have a Hyperdrive Malfunction (http://www.whatdoweknow.com/teeCosmonautHyperdrive.html)

Kalbron
2009-11-13, 08:55 PM

They're still working on the lasers. It's still low tech (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V1pkTMCZ0M) though, but they're getting there!

Trog
2009-11-13, 09:05 PM
They're still working on the lasers. It's still low tech (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V1pkTMCZ0M) though, but they're getting there!
That's hardly low tech, actually. Destroys any incoming projectile? More like high tech.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-11-15, 06:53 PM
A couple dozen gallons of water is 'significant'? I mean, yeah, compared to none that's nice, but for practical purposes is that of any use whatsoever?

How big was the bomb anyway?

Phase
2009-11-15, 07:19 PM
A couple dozen gallons of water is 'significant'? I mean, yeah, compared to none that's nice, but for practical purposes is that of any use whatsoever?

You surface-crawlers originally believed that there was no water whatsoever. The difference between ten gallons and twenty gallons is insignificant. The difference between zero and twelve? That's VERY significant. This suggests that I DO have water, which is a concept that will make all the difference in Astrogeography and Astrogeology.

Coatl Ruu
2009-11-15, 07:47 PM

The 25 gallons of water is what the impact kicked up. There's still more underground.

AshDesert
2009-11-15, 08:10 PM

How big was the bomb anyway?

Even though a couple dozen gallons from the surface isn't a whole lot, this opens up the possibility of bigger pockets of water underneath. Just because there are no lakes doesn't mean there are no aquifers.

Rutskarn
2009-11-15, 08:12 PM
I, for one, wouldn't want to vacation on the moon. Been there--it stinks like a sewer, the only good pizza joints don't do delivery, and it's never dry.

It's possible I'm thinking of North Raleigh.

Nomrom
2009-11-17, 02:41 PM
On another note, the state of New Mexico is planning an building a commercial spaceport. Trips to space are becoming much more accessible, as long as you have thousands of dollars to throw around, that is.

Ilena
2009-11-17, 03:48 PM
you know i never have to watch the news, i always get the important things from here :P the rest of the dribble is pointless anyway so ya!

Coatl Ruu
2009-11-17, 03:50 PM
On another note, the state of New Mexico is planning an building a commercial spaceport. Trips to space are becoming much more accessible, as long as you have thousands of dollars to throw around, that is.

Okay, when did the future suddenly arrive? Last I checked, the closest thing we had to a space port was Cape Canaveral.

Nomrom
2009-11-17, 06:57 PM
Nope, now we will soon have Spaceport America. Check it out here (http://www.spaceportamerica.com). And it will only cost a few hundred million dollars. What better way to use our tax dollars can you think of? I can think of lots...

Ilena
2009-11-18, 07:58 AM
true but theres other spacecraft designed and possibly built or being built that can go into space aside from the shuttle and whatever else NASA is cooking up, so yes it is actually possible that they will be making a spaceport when theres somewhere to go :P though it wouldnt suprise me if they built it anyway ...