PDA

View Full Version : shadow casters and weapons of legacy

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-14, 10:21 AM
I have a player in one of my games that is a shadow caster she has been bugging me to make her a legacy weapon.

Looking at the penalties there obviously arn't any for shadow casters. Does any one have any ideas on ways i can apply penalties to mysteries?. I was thinking about taking a spell slot from the appropriate level mystery though im not realy sure if that would be to hindering.

Currently the group is about middle of the road as far as powergaming goes, so she is using an un-modified shadow caster.

peacenlove
2009-11-14, 11:38 AM
Be fair, just ignore the spell slot removal from 1st to 8th level spells. Otherwise use the full spell caster table. Shadowcasters have few spell slots AND few mysteries known. Just knock down HP and fortitude saves (they are still penalized, most of theirmysteries are close range and they need the hp to approach the enemies) and maybe impose a bigger caster level penalty to them.
Also as far as i know legacy weapons demand more player resources (EXP, Money, HP, saves, skill losses) than they give unless you let the player combine abilities from ANY source book and even then he doesn't earn much.
But are you using the class as written in the ToM or are you using fixes from the internet?

Edge of Dreams
2009-11-14, 01:57 PM
Weapons of Legacy has some of the best writing of any d&d book, in my opinion.

It also has the single mechanic I HATEHATEHATE the most of any d&d book - penalties for using your awesome weapon.

You could remove all of the hp/save/spell losses from the weapons in that book, and they'd actually be MORE balanced in my opinion, as well as far more likely that players will actually want to spend the money on the rituals.

One of my favorite campaign ideas that I run from time to time is that every character starts out with some artifact or legacy weapon that grows with them as they level and figure out its history and secrets. No penalties, no gold cost to upgrade, I just take the item's powers into account in my encounter balance and treasure tables. It works pretty well, I like to think.

So, to conclude, give 'em something awesome, and don't worry about the penalites. If you really really really want to "balance" it, then, well, I dunno.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-14, 04:00 PM
Weapons of Legacy has some of the best writing of any d&d book, in my opinion.

It also has the single mechanic I HATEHATEHATE the most of any d&d book - penalties for using your awesome weapon.

You could remove all of the hp/save/spell losses from the weapons in that book, and they'd actually be MORE balanced in my opinion, as well as far more likely that players will actually want to spend the money on the rituals.

One of my favorite campaign ideas that I run from time to time is that every character starts out with some artifact or legacy weapon that grows with them as they level and figure out its history and secrets. No penalties, no gold cost to upgrade, I just take the item's powers into account in my encounter balance and treasure tables. It works pretty well, I like to think.

So, to conclude, give 'em something awesome, and don't worry about the penalites. If you really really really want to "balance" it, then, well, I dunno.
well typicaly we play low magic games so this game alone is much higher magic then normal.. I do want to impose some penalties may drop the spell caster one.

peacenlove: RAW from TOM