PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Eternal Seeker - early retraining allowed?

Delcan
2009-11-14, 04:38 PM
There seems to be a lot of disagreement involving the Eternal Seeker's class feature Seeker of the Many Paths. Per RAW, the destiny gives you the ability to choose encounter and daily powers from any class when you gain a power due to levelling up. The issue is whether retraining your powers to other classes is allowed by the class feature.

No real consensus seems to exist for the problem. The general forum opinion is that retraining doesn't count, and that only the 23rd, 25th, 27th, and 29th level power replacements qualify. However, the Character Builder (don't have it) is said to allow retraining, and I've seen a post or two that points to the similar wording in the PHB between 'replacing a power by retraining' and 'replacing a power at specific levels'. The guide on the WotC forums (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19647998/The_Eternal_Seekers_Guide_to_the_Galaxy) I've been looking at for Seekers has been written with the assumption that retraining is allowed.

Is there an official verdict on the Eternal Seeker - can you retrain your encounter and daily powers to those of any class as of 21st level? And if not, how broken would it be to houserule in the ability? It would seem odd (and a little unfair) to give the Seeker a class feature that it can't even use until two levels into the destiny, while every other Destiny is already having fun with their own 21st-level power. Granting retraining power for the Seeker just seems like a small leg-up for a primarily just-for-fun destiny, to compensate for the fact that you didn't pick Demigod.

Inyssius Tor
2009-11-14, 04:51 PM
The Character Builder is not, under any circumstances, a trustworthy source for rules information.

The CO forums are better, but not by a great deal.

I would ask CustServ, bearing in mind that they're not perfect either.

Aron Times
2009-11-14, 05:13 PM
Most in CharOp (myself included) feel that retraining lower-level powers is alright. The Eternal Seeker is by no means overpowered; it's basically a very flavorful epic destiny.

Remember that you are allowed one retraining per level. At level 21, you can retrain one aspect of your character, so you could potentially retrain your level 19 class power into a level 19 power from another class.

Gametime
2009-11-14, 06:18 PM
Given that the feature doesn't allow you to use any implements you couldn't already use, and you're basically already still restricted to powers that use the same attack stat as your regular class, I would allow retraining. It wouldn't be overpowered at epic levels in the slightest.

LibraryOgre
2009-11-14, 09:46 PM
Given that the feature doesn't allow you to use any implements you couldn't already use, and you're basically already still restricted to powers that use the same attack stat as your regular class, I would allow retraining. It wouldn't be overpowered at epic levels in the slightest.

Of course, it could get interesting if a Bard prolific multiclasser were to go that route... especially given the feat that lets you turn all out-of-class powers into Charisma powers...

rayne_dragon
2009-11-15, 10:18 AM
In my experiance, the only official rulings come from the DM of the game you're playing. Personally, I think it should include retraining. I suppose it is possible that doing it that way might allow for some sort of crazy power combo, but it probably isn't too out of line with what someone could do without waiting for an ED.