PDA

View Full Version : It Is Evil!

Froogleyboy
2009-11-15, 01:42 PM
Okay, I fell in love with Pokemon years ago. Then I kinda drifted away from, And then got back into it. This has been going on for years, and it annoys the hell out of me. Any similar experiences?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-15, 01:45 PM
...wait, similar experience to drifting in and out of love with it?

Or something to do with the title of the thread that was never expounded upon?

This info is vital, man! The answer differs depending on the situation! What pill do you take? WHAT PILL?

Icewalker
2009-11-15, 02:28 PM
I had a similar experience with Diablo II, although I usually enjoy going back for a bit. I did the same with World of Warcraft for a while as well, but eventually really stopped. Actually, I do this with a number of games, but it's usually quite fun...

Gamerlord
2009-11-15, 02:59 PM
WHAT PILL?

both! (http://xkcd.com/566/) :smalltongue:

Mercenary Pen
2009-11-15, 03:39 PM
Okay, I fell in love with Pokemon years ago. Then I kinda drifted away from, And then got back into it. This has been going on for years, and it annoys the hell out of me. Any similar experiences?

I end up sticking a lot of things on the back burner for a while, then getting back to them rather later...

In other news, I watched the 600th episode of the pokemon anime this morning.

CrimsonAngel
2009-11-15, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I started up pokemon again this morning.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-11-15, 04:00 PM
I've been watching the '90's X-Men cartoon for the first time since, well, the '90's. Also Batman: The Animated Series and Samurai Jack. This is less coming back to it later and more nostalgia-driven DVD hunts.

Pokemon, of course, is still a big 'come back and play some more/again' thing for me. The first two generations, at least. Back when you could get through it all via brute force. I'm not very good at the newer, more strategically inclined Pokemon.

Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, etc.

I've never been very good at this game in all the years I've had it, yet I keep going back and playing again, even though I can't get back to the level that I got stuck at years ago: Monster Rancher Explorer for the Gameboy Color. There's a level about a third of the way up the tower that just keeps spawning Nagas, and I've never been abel to get past it.

Helanna
2009-11-15, 04:12 PM
I do that all the time, generally with the computer. For about a month, I will be on the computer all the time, usually playing a game or something. Then all of a sudden I'll stop playing it at all. Then a month later I'll think "Huh, haven't played [game] in a while, maybe I should play for a while . . .

valadil
2009-11-15, 06:04 PM
I'm exactly 3 years too old for pokemon. My friends who were freshman when I was a senior are into it, but I've never seen the appeal.

I did get in and out of M:tG for years though. Glad to be out of it for now.

At the moment I have three projects I rotate through. I'm writing a 4e game, building a diceless RPG, and coding a mouseless map editor. I work on one project for a month then move onto something eles. At some point a Wave app will probably take over one of those projects or divide my time even more.

Mini painting is also something I get into for short bursts. I'll paint every day for a month or two then give it up for 6 months. The worst part is that I buy minis towards the end of the cycle, so they sit there for 6 months until I get into painting again, and by then I'm no longer excited about them. In case any one is interested, here's a link to my mini gallery (http://minis.sagotsky.com/).

TheThan
2009-11-15, 08:14 PM
What company makes that archer model? I was given one (minus the bow), and I haven’t been able to identify it.
The cool part? I added a mechanical arm onto it from a cygnar warjack. So he’s now a cyborg. The arm fits perfectly into the spot where the bow arm should go.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-11-15, 08:18 PM
I'm exactly 3 years too old for pokemon. My friends who were freshman when I was a senior are into it, but I've never seen the appeal.

No such thing as too old. :smalltongue:

I loved Pokemon until about Gen III, then I slowed a bit (but still played it) and now I'm back to living it in full force.

I'm sure the fact that Blue Version was my first video game, back when I was 4-ish is a big factor in this.

Rutskarn
2009-11-15, 08:18 PM
I have never played a Pokemon game, held a Pokemon card, or seen anything Pokemon related.

Which is why I need to keep my bastard friends away from me at all times, lest they corrupt my soul.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-11-16, 12:02 AM
Dude, I spent way too much money on Pokemon cards as a kid, only to put them in the wrong container whilst temporarily moving and having them get torn down with the house.

CapedLuigiYoshi
2009-11-16, 12:41 AM
I've had many experiences with moving away from something, then coming back to it. Not Pokemon, though. I have always loved the main games (though Ruby/Saphire wasn't so good, and the spin-offs wer short-lived fun), probably because Pokemon Gold was the first video game I owned (unless you count those few computer games). The anime was fairly constant in its appeal to me: started out good, drifted into meh during the Hoenn arc, and ended up dropping off my interest right around the time Kid's WB dropped it.

As for the cards, they always fell flat (pun not intended).

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-16, 01:56 AM
Having a somewhat-similar experience with the Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG at the moment (still disliking the show, though... :smallyuk:). First time I stopped was after half of my good cards were stolen, but sure enough, I picked up the game again before too long. Was on haitus from the game starting from the year before I went to college, but after some prodding from friends, I've finally put a deck together.

I probably would've picked it up sooner, if I hadn't seen about 45% of my old "staple" cards on the "banned cards" list. :smallannoyed: Not to mention the Synchro monsters; my first impression left me feeling that they were overpowered. :smallfrown:

Miss Nobody
2009-11-16, 12:19 PM
I have never played a Pokemon game, held a Pokemon card, or seen anything Pokemon related.

Which is why I need to keep my bastard friends away from me at all times, lest they corrupt my soul.

So there is somebody else around here who never got into this Pokemon madness? I really thought I was the only one.

Gullara
2009-11-16, 12:37 PM
I've fallen out of and got back in to every game I have had, will, and do own. :smallbiggrin:

Pepz
2009-11-16, 02:28 PM
I fell back into pokemon yesterday actually :smallbiggrin: It might have something to do that I really just want to fill that pokedex at least once...

Oh and as for games you come back to once in a while: I bought Tasmania for the gameboy, but I never seemed to be able to get past the first boss, like the very first boss....

I'm about 17 years older now, and every once in a while I come back to try and kill that meanie, but have never been able to :smallfrown:

Gullara
2009-11-16, 03:03 PM
Pokemon is actually a good game to play when I don't have anything else to play.

MCerberus
2009-11-16, 05:27 PM
I had red, and I caught them all. I. caught. THEM. ALL.

Gullara
2009-11-17, 10:16 AM

Seriously? All of them? Wow.

Mauve Shirt
2009-11-17, 11:28 AM
I still haven't beaten Diamond. I pick it up and put it down a lot.

Green Bean
2009-11-17, 11:34 AM

You'd probably find it a bit harder today. :smalltongue:

Personally, I drift in an out of enjoying things all the time. In the long run, it saves me money when instead of buying something new, I read/play/use something I already own. Just last week I dusted off my old copy of Advance Wars and read Going Postal on a road trip.

The Rose Dragon
2009-11-17, 11:34 AM

You can't "catch" them all. Most of them are available only through trading.

Gullara
2009-11-17, 12:24 PM
I still haven't beaten Diamond. I pick it up and put it down a lot.

I have pearl and I haven't beaten it either. I think I got stuck on the fire gym, put it down, and have played it very little since. I should pick it up again but life is too hectic right now.

Mercenary Pen
2009-11-17, 12:39 PM
I have pearl and I haven't beaten it either. I think I got stuck on the fire gym, put it down, and have played it very little since. I should pick it up again but life is too hectic right now.

There wasn't a fire-type gym in diamond and pearl... Maybe you meant the fire-type elite four member, Flint?

Gullara
2009-11-17, 12:44 PM
There wasn't a fire-type gym in diamond and pearl... Maybe you meant the fire-type elite four member, Flint?

No... mabey I'm thinking of another pokemon game, but I did get stuck in pearl around the sixth gym maybe. What type was that one? It was most likely one that killed grass type.

Green Bean
2009-11-17, 08:33 PM
No... mabey I'm thinking of another pokemon game, but I did get stuck in pearl around the sixth gym maybe. What type was that one? It was most likely one that killed grass type.

Well, the Ice gym is number seven, and Ice types are effective against Grass. Though the sixth gym is Steel type, which Grass has a tough time against too.

Inhuman Bot
2009-11-17, 08:43 PM
So there is somebody else around here who never got into this Pokemon madness? I really thought I was the only one.

I never did either.

I was cajoled into getting a booster pack by a friend, opened it and found 2 of the rare-r cards, was harassed about them, sold them, didn't buy another pack.

Gullara
2009-11-18, 10:31 AM
Well, the Ice gym is number seven, and Ice types are effective against Grass. Though the sixth gym is Steel type, which Grass has a tough time against too.

Hmmm, must have been one of those two, its been a while though.